Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2011 Buick Regal a "go" for NA

wildcat

Another website, GM Inside News, today reported that the Buick Regal (a rebadged Opel Insignia now sold in China as a Buick Regal) will be available in NA as of 2011. GMI says that it was officially greenlighted yesterday.

According to GMI, it's possible the car could come earlier than 2011 but it's expected the vehicle will look very similar, if not exact, to the Chinese Regal - possibly with some different engine choices.

Buick NA needs this car much sooner than 2011. Does it really take 2-3 years to produce a car in North America that is already for sale in other parts of the world? While I agree with not bringing it to the U.S. this year to allow for the proper introduction of the new LaCrosse, I can't see waiting another 2 years either. Early to mid 2010 would be an ideal period. This way the new Regal can build on the momentum of the new LaCrosse. A preview at either this year's New York or Los Angeles auto shows with an on sale date during the first half of next year would be the best case scenario.

I'm assuming 2011 is the calender year by the way the initial post reads. If it is actually the model year (which means that the 2011 model would be introduced in the 2010 calender year), then it would be just about perfect for Buick NA.

As far as engine choices, I think the new NA Regal should be fitted with the same engines that are offered in the new Equinox (DI 2.4L 4 cylinder and 3.0L V6) to keep it positioned below the new LaCrosse. Another option could be to just offer it with the 2.0L turbocharged 4 cylinder that is offered in the Solstice GXP.

So where does that leave the Saturn Aura and the load that they were telling us about Opel and Saturn sharing vehicles? Guess Saturn can't justify the premium price. But Buick can.

The Insignia looks better with the Buick face on it anyway.

My guess is the Aura is dead. Now let's see if the Astra arrives as a Saturn or as a Buick...

Indeed.

And, excellent news about the new Regal!

I sincerely hope, that despite the brand the Insignia will be sold as here, I do hope for the possibility of a manual transmission!

Since the Buick Lacrosse is Epsilon II and the Invicta is also Epsilon II, how are the 2 Buicks diffeentiated from each other?

The LaCrosse is on a longer wheelbase, so it's a few inches longer. I assume once the Regal is out, the Lucerne will go away and the Regal and new LaCrosse will be the midsize/largish sedans, with maybe a small Delta based model added later.

Now here is where things will get fascinating. If Delta II is a go for Buick, then Buick will have three Cars and one SUV. Where does that leave Pontiac? I mean if GM wants product differentiation then having a Delta II G5 and Epsilon II G6 under the same roof will be not a great idea.

Also, that puts doubt on Insignia coming as an Aura and as ZL-1 stated even Astra going over to Buick. Which means Pontiac will have to be way differentiated to have RWDs or vehicles which may be "niche" - or be canned. If GMC gets Terrain, then Buick will not get a T-E which is a certainty. Furthermore, if PCS holds true then Buick will also have the Alpha, which means Pontiac may be rotted to dust.

This news however a great one will leave more questions than answer any.

Say goodbye to the Aura (probably the whole brand). Aura and Regal are identical in dimensions.

Yeah, I bet there won't be a 2nd gen Aura or G6. So GM will probably have 2 midsize (Malibu, Regal) and 2 large (Impala, LaCrosse) FWD sedans by 2012 or so, it looks like...

Yeah, I bet there won't be a 2nd gen Aura or G6. So GM will probably have 2 midsize (Malibu, Regal) and 2 large (Impala, LaCrosse) FWD sedans by 2012 or so, it looks like...

You know what? I'd be very happy with that...

Yes, a few really good cars is better than a lot of overlapping ok cars..

Exactly.

And honestly, with the Malibu and LaCrosse, GM gives me more hope they can pull that off and be successful in that regard. The question is, will they have enough time/money to be able to reduce and revamp their operations. I can only hope so.

Exactly.

And honestly, with the Malibu and LaCrosse, GM gives me more hope they can pull that off and be successful in that regard. The question is, will they have enough time/money to be able to reduce and revamp their operations. I can only hope so.

Yes.. getting through the next 12-24 months is going be critical to GM's future.

My understanding is that there will be three. 9-5 if GM does not get rid of SAAB. Chances are they might not.

My understanding is that there will be three. 9-5 if GM does not get rid of SAAB. Chances are they might not.

Ah-yeah. I always forget about SAAB...just thinking about the core, CPSBC brands. (or CPOBC in olden days).

Now here is where things will get fascinating. If Delta II is a go for Buick, then Buick will have three Cars and one SUV. Where does that leave Pontiac? I mean if GM wants product differentiation then having a Delta II G5 and Epsilon II G6 under the same roof will be not a great idea.

Also, that puts doubt on Insignia coming as an Aura and as ZL-1 stated even Astra going over to Buick. Which means Pontiac will have to be way differentiated to have RWDs or vehicles which may be "niche" - or be canned. If GMC gets Terrain, then Buick will not get a T-E which is a certainty. Furthermore, if PCS holds true then Buick will also have the Alpha, which means Pontiac may be rotted to dust.

This news however a great one will leave more questions than answer any.

I still think Pontiac will be positioned as a sporty entry premium sub-brand in B-P-G. As such, they would be assigned the next gen Corsa 3-door/5-door and Astra 3-door/5-door. I really believe in Buick's potential and its proposed expansion to cover the premium segment, but I still have a hard time seeing the brand selling subcompact and compact premium hatchbacks. I do think Buick could successfully sell the next gen Astra sedan as a Skylark. If Pontiac is not repositioned in this capacity, then I think GM will eventually discontinue the brand (unfortunately); GM seems to be shying away from most of its RWD projects at the moment (as are some other car companies), which means a RWD based niche lineup for Pontiac is more than likely not going to materialize.

I'm really having a hard time understanding GMC's role as a "core" division of GM. To me, GMC should be reduced to selling the fullsize Sierra and fullsize Yukon (although I would rechristen it as the "Denali" instead). These 2 products should only be sold in their upper trim levels to reinforce the premium stature of the B-P-G network. All premium FWD based crossovers (Theta, Theta-Epsilon, and Lambda) should be sold by Buick in the B-P-G network. There are other options that could be explored for GMC, but this one is the easiest one to execute within GM's current financial restraints.

As far as Saturn, I still think the brand should be returned to its roots as an affordable small vehicle brand and assigned GMDAT based subcompact/compact hatchbacks and MPVs. The GMDAT based small sedans and crossovers would be assigned to Chevrolet in addition to the other products that would make it a full-scale mainstream division. Saturn would just sell the 2-3 small GMDAT vehicles that is assigned to the brand. To make Saturn more available to all North American markets, it would be sold in select Chevrolet dealerships only in markets where a Saturn dealership does not currently exist. The Saturn products would receive a new face that consists of the Daewoo 3-bar grille treatment fitted with a Saturn logo.

The submitted ideas above are just my suggestions and predictions. I don't think they are the best case scenarios (in fact, they are quite different from what I would really like to see happen), but they seem to be some feasible solutions given the unstable nature of both GM and the economy.

Edited by cire

Saab is a lost cause, better to spend that money on Chevy and Buick. The Malibu Hybrid just finished last place in a Car and Driver comparison, they need to constantly update Chevys to keep pace with the Japanese, and a resurging Ford.

good news on the regal. the opel products need to infiltrate NA as much as possible. the chinese regal is an attractive car. the lacrosse will carry larger engines and such. perhaps the regal will get the 4 cyl turbo and MAYBE! even the manual. t-type? LOL

Yeah even one engine the LNF DI 2.0 turbo with varied power - one with about 220-230 hp and one with 260-280 hp would be awesome. Couple that with a 6-speed manual and auto tranny.