Detroit Preview: 2010 Chevy Spark

2010-chevy-spark.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/10/detroit...ath-to-the-web/

As the hours wind down before the 2009 Detroit Auto Show finally kicks off in the morning, more vehicles are leaking through the manufacturers' embargo nets. The latest addition to the list is the 2010 Chevy Spark, teased earlier this week on Today by GM design honcho Ed Welburn. Spark is the production version of the Chevy Beat concept that made its debut alongside the Trax and Groove at New York two years ago. Beat was the winner of a public poll to see which of the three microcar concepts would make it to production. We also know that Beat/Spark's going to get some time in the limelight as a character in this summer's Transformers sequel.

The itsy-bitsy new "world car" has grown a second set of doors in production trim, but otherwise, its styling remains remarkably true to the Beat show car. Roof rails hint at real-world practicality, and the fact that GM is choosing Detroit to unveil it suggests that maybe, just maybe, we'll see it here after all. We'll know more as the show gets officially underway, but we can say one thing: it's more interesting than the car it's set to replace in other markets. We'll have plenty more when we see it up close.

Isn't this car one class lower than the Aveo or Fiesta? I thought the Aveo and Fiesta were classified as subcompacts, while this car would be classified as a mini or city car. Anyway, the overall shape of this car still reminds me of the Opel Agila; the detailing is dramatically different, but the overall shape seems to be very similar. I guess there is only so much designers can do with a tall and stubby box.

I do think it would be great to see a next gen Aveo subcompact sedan (although I would like to see the Nova name resurrected) with Beat styling cues make its way into Chevrolet's lineup. Hatchback versions (with Daewoo styled grilles) would be assigned to Saturn (since I the Opel/Saturn relationship seems to be history).

Edited by cire

And I can afford to never own one.

That gives me hope.

I know I own boring FWD cars at least my Impala is but, I refuse to go that small and boring. Not to mention that under-powered. I already have a Troy-Bilt 2410 Snow Thrower with more power than that I just got. :AH-HA_wink:

Different strokes for different folks, but the SLS is too floaty for me.

Looks nice though. When I was car shopping, I had hoped to run across an STS but they were extremely hard to come by... and sold a lot quicker.

Back on subject, I don't have a problem with the Spark... just the viability of this segment in the US. Would this be considered A-segment?

I know I own boring FWD cars at least my Impala is but, I refuse to go that small and boring. Not to mention that under-powered. I already have a Troy-Bilt 2410 Snow Thrower with more power than that I just got. :AH-HA_wink:

Contrary to popular belief on this site, FWD doesn't equal boring or bad. :P After all, I love my large FWD beast. :wink:

Different strokes for different folks, but the SLS is too floaty for me.

Nawh that is about just right. They ride about like my Bonneville and that is just perfect. I was just saying if you gave me 15K to get a car like that I would get that. Speaking of which a 02-04 Seville might be coming to my house very soon...

Edited by gm4life

Less is more. GM went overboard with this design, to the point where it looks cartoonish.

For some reason, this car and the Beat remind me of a Pokemon character..the clash of angles, I guess.

Edited by moltar

That shows how people look for more flash than tasteful design. I personally voted for the Grove as many of others on this website did. But majority voted for the Beat and that is why we are seeing it. At least the concept had less creases, this car has wrinkles without any theme.

SuperStock_1598R-211213.jpg

WTF! The Beat was perfectly fine... why does _everything_ have to have 4 doors. Americans are getting larger, not smaller, and the rear seats in a lot of these things are useless!

Yeah, the Fiesta is going to kill this thing because GM is still idiotic. Of course, IMHO, the Fiesta is still too long for a "city car".

WTF! The Beat was perfectly fine... why does _everything_ have to have 4 doors. Americans are getting larger, not smaller, and the rear seats in a lot of these things are useless!

Yeah, the Fiesta is going to kill this thing because GM is still idiotic. Of course, IMHO, the Fiesta is still too long for a "city car".

There may be a 3dr version eventually, though I would think in any market, a 4/5 dr will always outsell an equivalent 2dr/3dr...just more practical. This is replacing the Matiz, I assume, which is 5dr only, I think. The Pontiac version will be the G2 probably (like it is now in Mexico).

Edited by moltar

There may be a 3dr version eventually, though I would think in any market, a 4/5 dr will always outsell an equivalent 2dr/3dr...just more practical. This is replacing the Matiz, I assume, which is 5dr only, I think. The Pontiac version will be the G2 probably (like it is now in Mexico).

God help us!

A G2?

Shoot me now.

I don't dislike it (despite the HUGE headlights).

I would like to see a 3 door model, although I suspect such a model will only be found on www.not-going-to-happen.com

EDIT - I Hope this makes it to the US

Edited by ZL-1

Sigh... much uglier than the Beat. The thing I liked about the Beat was the 2-door bodystyle... gone from the production version. The hidden rear door handles are a pathetic nod to a sportier 2-door body. I have no love for this thing.

should've made it 2-dr. If people want to carry around more than themselves & 1 passenger, they should buy a bigger car. Heck, I'd be tempted to remove the rear seat & make it better cargo space anyway. A car this size should simply concentrate on being fun, efficient, and comfortable for TWO.

should've made it 2-dr. If people want to carry around more than themselves & 1 passenger, they should buy a bigger car. Heck, I'd be tempted to remove the rear seat & make it better cargo space anyway. A car this size should simply concentrate on being fun, efficient, and comfortable for TWO.

Well, this a small family car in some markets... for a couple with an infant or two. In other parts of the world, families don't buy full size SUVs or minivans to haul around their rug rats.

I still don't think this class of car has much of a future in this country.

I agree. I think gas prices would have to be almost off the chart before many Americans would consider a vehicle this small. I think the subcompact class is probably the smallest acceptable size for most Americans.

You think with all the advances in technology that we have today, someone would have created a fuel efficient vehicle of a comfortable size that doesn't require a major price premium or look like a shapeless egg.