Detroit 2009: Chevy Orlando Concept

Among the array of various concept and production vehicles at the GM display was the Chevy Orlando Concept that made its world debut in Paris just a few months prior. Based on the same platform as the Cruze, the Orlando offers seven seats in a relatively compact design. At its debut we found the Orlando to be a much more appealing than the HHR and hoped that GM would consider bringing it to the U.S. as a production vehicle. Our wish has been granted, and the Orlando will arrive in dealers as a 2011 model along with the Spark mini-car. Follow the jump for the press release from GM, video from the live unveil, and check out new high-res photos in the gallery below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/11/detroit...ide-production/

chevyorlandodet09_03.jpg

chevyorlandodet09_05.jpg

chevyorlandodet09_06.jpg

chevyorlandodet09_16.jpg

Nice vehicle but I would caution replacing the HHR with it. I would offer the Orlando but retain the HHR along side it.

With sales of 100,000 each of the last three years for the HHR, I would keep it around update the styling to a mid 50's mode on the Orlando's platform.

But to kill the HHR to sell the Orlando on only is a big gamble. It is like so many other SUV vans nice but boring.

One gripe, with even Hyundai offering push button start, why is GM yet to adapt that concept?

Don't know... but to me it doesn't really matter as I don't mind turning the key a bit further to activate the starter.

I still think that GM should give Chevrolet the Captiva to slot below the Equinox and give the Orlando to Saturn as a small utilitiy vehicle to replace the Vue once Opel is aligned with Buick. Just slap a Daewoo three bar grille with a Saturn logo on it and it is good to go. To make the vehicle available in all areas, Saturn could be sold in some select Chevrolet dealerships where Saturn is currently not present.

What's the point? It's just fluff...

Maybe it has the excellent remote start that the HHR features as standard equipment on the automatic transmission model.

I understand that it is a fluff. But like I said it is not what GM or we like to have in the car. It is what the customer wants. Most of us have become so lazy that cranking the key will be a cause of concern.

I understand that it is a fluff. But like I said it is not what GM or we like to have in the car. It is what the customer wants. Most of us have become so lazy that cranking the key will be a cause of concern.

You have to be kidding...are the masses that lazy? I'd rather see the key return to the dash, as it has on many cars. The key on the steering column is a bit outdated...the push button start is a novelty gadget, didn't cars have those in ancient times?

Edited by moltar

Looks good, I assume by the comparisons to the HHR that it is very comparable in size to the HHR? If so, I agree with the statements to not necessarily replace the HHR with this, unless HHR sales have dropped considerably by then. This has its own appeal that I don't think would necessarily pick up HHR buyers. A lot of people may not like the retro look, but a lot of people do.

You have to be kidding...are the masses that lazy? I'd rather see the key return to the dash, as it has on many cars. The key on the steering column is a bit outdated...the push button start is a novelty gadget, didn't cars have those in ancient times?

Well people in the ancient times also had wired phones and roll down windows. What is hard for you to understand that 90% of the people look for gadgets in the vehicle rather than driving dynamics of the vehicle? You yourself confirmed that vehicles are not looked for driving but perceived as appliances by the masses. Well Orlando is an appliance, and like Kenmore and LG it will be the race between who will have 9-spin wash versus 10-spin wash. If GM wants to entice these people, like they have been obviously (considering demise of ST) then they better execute their vehicles as better appliances.

Personally I DO NOT give a damn about the key even if it meant opening the trunk and starting the engine, so as long it is a fun to drive vehicle which can be pushed in the corners.

Well, personally, I want GM to set it up where I just switch the car on and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor to start it.

That's 2 actions to start it...twisting the key is more efficient, just one action.

Well, personally, I want GM to set it up where I just switch the car on and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor to start it.

Now we are talking, more like a nuke missile and blast Toyota on the way to eternity.

Psst. I was making a joke. GM use to have push button start mounted on the floor under the gas pedal.

Ah... like in the 30s or something? I know some old cars had manual chokes and push button starters. One interesting thing I've experienced with older cars is having to pump the gas pedal before turning the key, like with carburated cars from the '60s.

Another detail I like that some 50s and 60s cars had was the ignition to the left of the steering column. Porsche is the only car maker today that still does that AFAIK.

Edited by moltar

Ah... like in the 30s or something? I know some old cars had manual chokes and push button starters. One interesting thing I've experienced with older cars is having to pump the gas pedal before turning the key, like with carburated cars from the '60s.

Another detail I like that some 50s and 60s cars had was the ignition to the left of the steering column. Porsche is the only car maker today that still does that AFAIK.

My friend's '57 Buick Century has it. I'm sure Balthy would be able to tell us when it stopped being offered.

My friend's '57 Buick Century has it. I'm sure Balthy would be able to tell us when it stopped being offered.

I'm sure...he'd know the part numbers as well as the years and each and every model that had one. :)

I'm sure...he'd know the part numbers as well as the years and each and every model that had one. :)

My '57 Buick has it...but the switch is on the CARB and not under the gas pedal. The action of flooring it drops a metal ball against two points on the rear left side of the carb, engaging the starter. When the car starts, vacuum sucks the ball into a little slot to prevent you from hitting the starter when you floor the pedal. Very simple feature which is great at car shows when somebody wants to see and hear the nailhead purr...as long as the key is ON, then she will pop right off with a tug on the accelerator rod.

Buick stopped offering this feature in 1958.

I still think that GM should give Chevrolet the Captiva to slot below the Equinox and give the Orlando to Saturn as a small utilitiy vehicle to replace the Vue once Opel is aligned with Buick. Just slap a Daewoo three bar grille with a Saturn logo on it and it is good to go. To make the vehicle available in all areas, Saturn could be sold in some select Chevrolet dealerships where Saturn is currently not present.

I thought the new Nox is basiclly a Captiva under the skin anyway right?

As a current HHR owner, this thing is not a worthy replacement. I have no problems with the size, but it needs more presence if it is to replace the HHR. If fact, if they would just put the window switches on the door panels, that would fix my major grip with the HHR.

As a current HHR owner, this thing is not a worthy replacement. I have no problems with the size, but it needs more presence if it is to replace the HHR. If fact, if they would just put the window switches on the door panels, that would fix my major grip with the HHR.

They changed that for MY08 in the SS and for all in MY09.

there is the planned Gamma platform Groove based design. Groove seems to share a lot with Orlando, but in person comes across very fun and likeable, the Orlando seems cold and technical at least in the pictures. so this should have that friendly, more character-ful look you're looking for. also Gamma will probably be more the size of the current HHR anyway, on the inside at least.

Chevrolet-Groove_Concept_2007_800x600_wa

I thought the new Nox is basiclly a Captiva under the skin anyway right?

I think they share the Theta architecture, but the Equinox is larger (by about 7-8 inches if the Captiva is the same size as the Saturn Vue) and is on a longer wheelbase (by about 5-6 inches). I was thinking that the Captiva would be more of a 4 cylinder propelled compact product, while the Equinox would be a 4-6 cylinder midsize product. I'm not really sure if there is that much difference in the interior dimensions between the 2 products to make this idea feasible or lucrative.

Edited by cire