Detroit 2009: Chrysler 200C Concept

We were beginning to worry that the 300C was all Ralph Gilles had in him. But if the Chrysler 200C Concept is what Chrysler's styling star can bring to the hitherto dull banquet of Chrysler design, then he should have been placed in charge long ago. It is absolutely gorgeous - check out those wheels - and to our eyes, at least, this is what the straked nonsense known as the Sebring should have been (or at least, what it could have looked like).

A range-extended four-passenger sedan, the car is about the size of a BMW 5-Series. A rear-wheel-driver powered by a plug-in hybrid drivetrain that includes a "small gasoline engine" - Chrysler didn't say how small - aided by a lithium-ion batteries and an electric generator putting out 55kW (74 horsepower) of continuous power. The system's combined forces are good for 200 kW (268 hp) of peak power. The car can go 40 miles on electric power alone (a number that sounds rather familiar), and has an estimated range of up to 400 miles. The 200C is not a slowpoke, either, with a predicted 7-second blast to sixty, and a top speed north of 120.

Inside, the 200C Concept is crammed with enough tech to guide a starfleet. The interactive dashboard is infinitely changeable, internet enabled (via Chrysler's uConnect), and tied into security cameras and street cameras when you want to see how long the line is out front of the Delta Terminal at Detroit Metro. Even better, you can control everything from the integrated tablet PC in the glovebox or from an iPhone-like controller - even roll down the windows and check on the status of the car. And the technology leaf for the passenger also gets a huge shoutout. You can read all about it in the minutely thorough press releases after the jump, and the live presser video is also available. Also, check out the galleries of high-res photos below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/11/detroit...ing-should-hav/

chrysler-200c-stock-1280_0027.jpg

chrysler-200c-stock-1280_0028.jpg

chrysler-200c-stock-1280_0032.jpg

chrysler-200c-stock-1280_0036.jpg

chrysler-200c-stock-1280_0043.jpg

WOW. I love it..love the wheels, love the proportions... though the grille is too much like the Insignia.

And, most important detail to me, RWD in a world of FWD generic mediocrity.

2 words: BUILD IT! Normalise the interior and drivetrain...

Edited by moltar

This is exactly what many of us have been saying that Chrysler needed for a midsize sedan. An attractive design based on the shortened version of the RWD LX platform. This would have been an awesome followup to the 300C. It also would have made Chrysler appear as more of a premium brand (something that the Sebring singlehandedly failed to do).

My god, that is the most beautiful Chrysler I have seen since the fuselage Chryslers from the 70s. Save yourself Chrysler and BUILD IT!

Also, I love the low beltline...I'm getting tired of cars with gangsta greenhouses and near horizontal rear windows that you can't see out of.

Edited by mustang84

From Allpar:

Giroux said that the putting the car into production, particularly with the current interior, would be challenging, but that people in the company thought it would be well worth it. She said she and her team loved it, and noted that the reaction from the crowd today was very positive; people “love the design statement.”

Note: I believe it could be built on the Challenger LX platform...I think both are 116"...

They always should have replaced the Cloud cars with RWD, last gen C-class bones---Daimler really screwed Chryco.

Yes...had they executed it right, bold RWD models (add optional AWD for snowbelt whiners) for midsize and fullsize would have been a great differentiator for Mopar...a way to stand out in a world of mediocre FWD genericism.

This shot makes me want to weep...it's so beautiful. :)

chrysler-200c-stock-1280_0029.jpg

I'm still in shock that Chrysler executed this so well. If it is built, let's hope the production model lives up to this concept and doesn't get lost in translation like the Airflite. The exterior does seem to be production-ready, but the interior will have to be dumbed down a little.

This shot makes me want to weep...it's so beautiful. :)

I'm still in shock that Chrysler executed this so well. If it is built, let's hope the production model lives up to this concept and doesn't get lost in translation like the Airflite. The exterior does seem to be production-ready, but the interior will have to be dumbed down a little.

Well, the '09 Ram was a big indication of Chrysler's improved execution, IMHO. Some of the detailing on that truck is very, very nice, IMHO, much nicer looking than the butt-ugly new Ford F150 or the disgusting Super Duty...

They can make the interior production spec, just keep the design and quality nice. As for teh exterior, if they must, take out the LEDs but keep the rest as is. Build this Chrysler and you may yet get yourselves out of trouble. This is a winner.

Yes...the body and most exterior detailing looks pretty much production ready, IMHO.

This is a very good looking design -- very handsome and upscale. This is the car that should take the place of the current Sebring.

I have only one small complaint and its that the details of the front portion of the car are a little derivative of designs like the Mazda 6 and Lincoln MKR concept. However, I can see that the 200C concept is a further development of a few cues from a prior Chrysler concept car, the Nassau.

dc_nassau_detroit.jpg

This is a very good looking design -- very handsome and upscale. This is the car that should take the place of the current Sebring.

I have only one small complaint and its that the details of the front portion of the car are a little derivative of designs like the Mazda 6 and Lincoln MKR concept.

The only complaint I have is that I see a lot of Insignia in the front end detailing.

I'm in the league of the unimpressed.

+1

My expectations for Chrysler were so low that I was shocked at first... but peel away the big, show car wheels and interior, and you're left with an attractive, yes, but somewhat generic blob.

It's like the 300C. I really, really liked it when I first saw it. Now I'm just bored.

The technology underneath, though - if THAT can be productionized, then that's impressive.

Edited by empowah

seeing a little saab and opel in the facia...some bmw lines in the decklid...nevertheless chrysler looked to the right inspiration, and hoorah there is also some current sebring and former chrysler/dodge in there. it's great looking, one of thier best in a long time, finally a more traditionally good looking and enduring design, thier most since the 300C. it's being overshadowed by a lot of designers who've got the same religion though. and doesn't this just age the insignia/regal a bit?

+1

My expectations for Chrysler were so low that I was shocked at first... but peel away the big, show car wheels and interior, and you're left with an attractive, yes, but somewhat generic blob.

It's like the 300C. I really, really liked it when I first saw it. Now I'm just bored.

The technology underneath, though - if THAT can be productionized, then that's impressive.

Let's see......

checkbox.gif - trapezoid smiling anime grill

checkbox.gif - headlights pulled back along the fender like they got an eye lift

checkbox.gif - Bangle butt

checkbox.gif - unusable interior

Let's see......

checkbox.gif - trapezoid smiling anime grill

checkbox.gif - headlights pulled back along the fender like they got an eye lift

checkbox.gif - Bangle butt

checkbox.gif - unusable interior

Hate to brake it to you but guess who else uses a trapezoid shaped grill? Give up? Almost EVERYONE. Let's see...

checkbox.gif -Malibu

checkbox.gif -Cruze

checkbox.gif -Aura

checkbox.gif -Asta

checkbox.gif -Outlook

checkbox.gif -Insignia

checkbox.gif -Sebring

checkbox.gif -Evey Cadillac

And that's the tip of the iceberg.

Pulled back along the fender? Have you seen the Converj concept?

Bangle butt? Afraid not, Chrysler had the design from the first Cloud Cars. If anything Bangle copied those, and did a worse job. You're way too comfortable likening every new car's rear end to a "bangle butt". If anything it looks inspired by the last gen Sebring's butt.

2004.chrysler.sebring.20146394-E.jpg

It's a concept so of course the interior is pie-in-the-sky. This is nothing compared to other concepts.

Try again.

Pulled back along the fender? Have you seen the Converj concept?

Bangle butt? Afraid not, Chrysler had the design from the first Cloud Cars. If anything Bangle copied those, and did a worse job. You're way too comfortable likening every new car's rear end to a "bangle butt". If anything it looks inspired by the last gen Sebring's butt.

2004.chrysler.sebring.20146394-E.jpg

It's a concept so of course the interior is pie-in-the-sky. This is nothing compared to other concepts.

Try again.

Yeah, and I hate it on most of them too, however, at least with a select few, they manage some form of "brand".

The 200c concept manages to have nothing Chrysler about it. Shave the logos off... is it the new Opel Omega to slot in above the Insignia? Maybe it's Mazda's attempt to bring back the 929..... or maybe the next generation of Sonata now that Hyundai is moving up market.......

no no! It's clearly a Blue Devil mule......

Hopefully if Chrysler keeps it up, they will have showrooms filled with the most gorgeous of all the Detroit companies. Of course, that goes with me saying I have a hot spot for Chrysler and I know GM has definitely turned things around with their styling as well.

For Chrysler, this is definitely a return to bold form.

I don't see how it's an evolution of the Nassau in any way. They share no design cues at all. But it does look a whole lot like the Insignia. More refined and upscale looking, but the resemblence is almost uncanny.

I really like how they did the rear fascia, however. I also really like the font of the badging.

The interior, on the other hand, looks like it came from a completely different car, from a completely different company. It's very odd and not at all in the character of the exterior.

Brushing aside my worthless opinions though, I hope Chrysler produces this. This is the direction they need to move in immediately.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

:rolleyes:

The Sebring was a product of the Daimler era. Look at the new Ram's interior to get an idea of the quality of Chrysler's future interiors.

Besides the design of the Sebring's interior wasn't the problem, it was the quality of it.

1) Not a huge fan of the Ram's interior.

2) Some would say that the design of the Sebring's interior was a big problem.

Something exactly like this could have been based on the outgoing C-class underpinnings and sold as the Sebring replacement. I see a lot of previous generation Sebring sedan in the rear, except not cheap looking.