Detroit 2009: Chrysler 200C Concept

Both 1 and 2 are purely subjective. The fact remains that the Ram's interior is now high quality.

And it doesn't mean I think it's any nicer than the Sebring interior, hence why I equate it with the image of a Sebring interior. It is my opinion. Truth is, there hasn't been a Chrysler interior I've liked since the 80's.

Edited by Paolino

Like what, other than the Challenger?

Of course I can't find a photo of it, but the Nassau concept before last year's was what the 300C is based closely on. Oh and the actual 300C concept, and the Dodge Magnum concept (wish they had kept the steering wheel the concept had).

Seriously?? You think these cars share 0 design cues?? :stupid:

Chrysler_Nassau_1_560px.jpg

200cev-lead02.jpg

The Nassau is sharp and edgy. The 200c is soft and curvy. Other than the grille there are no analogous shapes or edges. The only similar thing I notice is the crease along the sides, and that becomes completely different again once it reaches the rear.

Could you point out to me how they DO look alike?

The Nassau is sharp and edgy. The 200c is soft and curvy. Other than the grille there are no analogous shapes or edges. The only similar thing I notice is the crease along the sides, and that becomes completely different again once it reaches the rear.

Strong resembalance...the 200C looks like a productized version of the Nassau concept. Similar arch to the roofline, similar greenhouse, similar hood, similar front fascia and grille.

Edited by moltar

Only if that Imperial didn't look like the concept...that thing was not pretty.

Ya..that thing looked like an RR Phantom wannabe. I saw it in person at an auto show a few years ago, it needed 6-10 inches vertically taken out of the body, IMHO.

The LX "Concepts" were hardly concepts, but mostly pre-production cars. Almost like calling the LaCrosse at NAIAS this year a concept then changing a couple small things before it hits production.

With the few exceptions that's how most production cars look like their concept counterparts. LaCrosse design was probably already done when teh Invicta debuted, for example.

So while your point is valid I argue that it's that way with most cars that closely relate to their concept versions, with the exception off a few like Nassau --> 300C, Viper --> Viper, and Solstice --> Solstice.

What is key here is that the the 200C is built on a real platform, so if it stayed on that platform and didn't switch to FWD it's reasonable to assume the exterior wouldn't change much besides the show-car detailing.

I'll be the first to say the 200C concept is very attractive. The first thing that popped into my mind was a 1995 Chrysler Cirrus brought into the 21st Century. That's not a bad thing. I loved the original 1995 Cirrus.

It looks like a Chrysler that would have been designed by the former 1990's management. A step in the right direction.

Strong resembalance...the 200C looks like a productized version of the Nassau concept. Similar arch to the roofline, similar greenhouse, similar hood, similar front fascia and grille.

:withstupid: What he said!

The 200C looks more similar to the Nassau, than it's looks different. It basically looks exactly the same, but with slightly smoothed out hard edges, and a different (thank god) rear end.

I'll be the first to say the 200C concept is very attractive. The first thing that popped into my mind was a 1995 Chrysler Cirrus brought into the 21st Century. That's not a bad thing. I loved the original 1995 Cirrus.

It looks like a Chrysler that would have been designed by the former 1990's management. A step in the right direction.

That's a great analogy actually. In fact looks like an evolution of the last gen Sebring if you forget about the current one, which is probably the best idea for everyone.

Chrysler did state that they would be going for styling that was less edgy and more like their pre-Daimler stuff. I'd hit it.

Chrysler makes concepts all the time that they never build, and they don't have the battery, electric drivetrain or fuel efficient engine technology that they have in these concepts like this one and the Liberty EV. So I am not too excited about something they are unable to build now, and probably won't be able to build until 2013 and they could be bankrupt well before then.

Chrysler makes concepts all the time that they never build, and they don't have the battery, electric drivetrain or fuel efficient engine technology that they have in these concepts like this one and the Liberty EV. So I am not too excited about something they are unable to build now, and probably won't be able to build until 2013 and they could be bankrupt well before then.

Genius, most automakers make concepts all the time they never build, it isn't just Chrysler. They are working on the EVs for production. DO you see anyone else out with a production EV? No? Didn't think so.

You do not know what they will or will not build. It is certainly a possibility this car could see production, as it's based on a real platform. Please, think before shooting your mouth off. kthxbai

Ever hear of GEM or Global Electric Motorcars: http://www.gemcar.com/ ?

I would say Chrysler has a good start and alot of knowledge of building electric vehicles. They have been building these vehicles for over 10 years now.

I agree. The 200C is clearly an evolution (and a much more attractive one) of the Nassau Concept. I hope Chrysler finds some way to bring out a production version.

Ok guys, let me break it down.

From the B-pillar (or lack thereof) forward, the 200C is a design evolution of the Nassau. Everything aft of this point is not...which is pretty obvious because we're comparing sedan and shooting break body styles.

To see how the 200C's front is an evolution, you need to look at a few things.

Flip the fog light housings of the Nassau vertically and connect them together with a strip of chrome and you have the lower fascia. Flip the Nassau's headlights horizontally, and inset them into a more rounded lens shape, and you have the headlight design. Take the Nassau's grill and slim down the thick chrome strip at the top, and shrink the grill.

Now, with this image in mind, look at the 200C's front end. See how it's an evolution now?

I still see more similarities from the A-pillar back than the front. As far as the lights, to me the shape of the headlight lens what matters. What's behind that doesn't make as much of a design impact in my eyes.

Besides that, the two have entirely different themes. The Nassau seems very sharp and chiseled; The grille is higher set and the shapes more geometric, giving the front end a very bold and upright look like (maybe even moreso than) the 300. The 200, on the other hand, has a more laid-back, aero front end, with the lower set grille and the sloping hood that curves down into the bumper. The edges seem softer, perhaps due to the concave curves of the surfaces around them. It has a more flowing, organic look than the comparatively blunt Nassau.

Actually, the more I look at pictures of both, the more I want to say it's mostly due to the Nassau's tall hood/grille. The 200's facia doesn't look like it's any more raked than the Nassau's, but the lower grille and the sloping hood make it look so much sleeker.

So anyway, yes, I see the similarities between the two, but I still think the differences are significant enough to give me totally different impressions of each car.

I still see more similarities from the A-pillar back than the front. As far as the lights, to me the shape of the headlight lens what matters. What's behind that doesn't make as much of a design impact in my eyes.

Besides that, the two have entirely different themes. The Nassau seems very sharp and chiseled; The grille is higher set and the shapes more geometric, giving the front end a very bold and upright look like (maybe even moreso than) the 300. The 200, on the other hand, has a more laid-back, aero front end, with the lower set grille and the sloping hood that curves down into the bumper. The edges seem softer, perhaps due to the concave curves of the surfaces around them. It has a more flowing, organic look than the comparatively blunt Nassau.

Actually, the more I look at pictures of both, the more I want to say it's mostly due to the Nassau's tall hood/grille. The 200's facia doesn't look like it's any more raked than the Nassau's, but the lower grille and the sloping hood make it look so much sleeker.

So anyway, yes, I see the similarities between the two, but I still think the differences are significant enough to give me totally different impressions of each car.

Well the original argument was that the 200C took the styling cues of the Nassau and evolved them. The 200C is its own design but takes cues from the Nassasu. You saying you see he similarities proves that point. :wink:

To me, it still looks like they took the Nassau and morphed it into a better looking and more production friendly form (200C). The 2 concepts don't look exactly like (especially since they are 2 different vehicle configurations), but there is an overall resemblance between the 2 that suggests that the 200C might be a progression of the Nassau. There is nothing wrong with this process. As long as the eventual production car looks more like the better looking variant (the 200C), who cares?

The more obvious issue to worry about is if Chrysler actually intends on making this great looking concept (the 200C, that is) a production reality. I sincerely hope so!