Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cire

Volvo S60 Concept

10 posts in this topic

Wow! I would never link the words sexy and Volvo together, but this design has definitely changed my mind on that. Making the next generation S60 into a "4-door coupe" seems to be a logical decision on Volvo's part. They already have the S40 sedan to cover the compact segment and the S80 to cover the midsize segment, so positioning the S60 to pursue a niche portion of the premium segment seems to be a good idea.

If Ford would have played their cards right, Volvo could have been the premium FWD brand to complement Lincoln as a RWD luxury brand in Ford's brand hierarchy. I love Mercury, but Ford has sqandered any premium perceptions the brand might have had by giving them an endless parade of faux premium rebadged Ford clones. Under a proper plan, Ford would have been the affordable mainstream brand (which it is), Volvo would have been a FWD/AWD premium brand which shared FWD platforms with Ford division products, and Lincoln would have been a RWD top tier luxury brand with products built on a dedicated premium RWD architecture. Volvo's credibility in the premium market could have assisted in restoring Lincoln's status as the premiere luxury brand for the Ford Corporation. Mercury could then have become some sort of sub-brand of Ford that specialized in a particular niche of vehicles for the affordable end of the market. As it is now, Mercury is just an outlet for dressed up Ford clones while Lincoln and Volvo overlap in offering FWD based premium products based on the same FWD platforms. What a waste!

Link:

Visit My Website

Source: Autoblog

Edited by cire

Whoa, I don't think this looks very good. Very gloopy and saggy.

This is very...um...interesting design. Maybe it will grow on me?

I guess I'm viewing it from the stance that Volvo shows exaggerated concepts that get severely toned down when they make the transition to production. I see this car evolving into a very interesting and attractive production vehicle for them. Mazda used to do the same thing, but they seem to have went off the hook with the upcoming 2010 Mazda3. The front end grille/bumper treatment is just a little too bizarre.

i kinda like it. the back is kinda weird though. maybe i like the front because i'm used to seeing Volvos being kinda bland. like the hard top look... is this the year for hardtop concepts or what?

I thought that Volvo was going to drop the S60 because of the S80, sizes, competition, and what not.

But I am glad they're keeping it!

Edited by MyerShift

Well, the current S60 is a pretty sleek car, so I would expect it's replacement to continue that.

I like it, but it's too bad the cristal console won't make it to production...

It's more out there than Volvo's usual designs but not in a good way.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0