Automotive News: Buick to get new tag line, ad campaign

wildcat

According to Automotive News, Buick is to get a new tag line and an ad campaign to change perception of its vehicles.

AN's website states, "Buick will get a new advertising campaign for the brand and the new LaCrosse sedan this summer. The campaign will have a different tag line, too, from Buick's current 'Drive Beautiful.' Buick chief Susan Docherty said General Motors realizes the brand suffers from a consumer perception that its vehicles are for elderly, conservative buyers. That perception has contributed to a sharp sales slide for Buick from its glory years."

My guess would be "The Craft of Modern Luxury." What do YOU think?

Yes, you're right Northstar. But what if -- this time -- GM takes specific steps to really change the perception of Buick?

Well clearly that would be the goal here, but it seems GM must be wasting a lot of money coming up with new marketing tag lines all of the time. If they spent all of that money on actually advertising a good tag line then perhaps Buick's perception wouldn't be what it is right now.

Satty and balthazar: Are you having fun? I was trying to have a serious discussion (and have NEVER pooped on your posts) :neenerneener: .

GM, which has access to the company's financials, knows the profit margins, sees the sales figures, fully understands the costs, and holds the future product plans in its hand, seems to think Buick is worth keeping and hasn't given up on it.

Edited by wildcat

Yes, you're right Northstar. But what if -- this time -- GM takes specific steps to really change the perception of Buick?

that will take the elimination of the lucerne first (edit, as is)... the enclave and now the new lacrosse have been big steps, but the lucerne is keeping the shoes tied together.

Edited by loki

I'm imagining that the Lucerne evidently will stay around as long as 1) it brings in some money ; 2) is given minimal if any investment ; and 3) if one goes by Mark LaNeve's latest comments from the Auto Show, what the final CAFE policies will be. Probably it'll just fade into the sunset in a number of years (around the same time as the Pontiac G8?).

If Buick would stick the Regal in its showrooms, that would be another "punch" to help change perception.

Personally, I liked the Lucerne better without the "Super" grille.

I don't know if Buick will really need the Lucerne. The new LaCrosse is a big car and I expect it will have plenty of room front and rear and be classified as full-size by EPA standards.

Yep, Northstar, if the market is shifting to smaller and more fuel-efficient cars, then I suppose the Lucerne has received its last investment. (But why do many here keep asking for the Buick Statesman to come here as a Roadmaster or whatever? Yes, the interior was nice at the time... but look how nice these latest GM interiors seem to be. Besides, it'd be TOO BIG, IMHO.)

Meanwhile, on the forum of CamaroZ28.com, a knowledgeable poster, guion ("Guy") says the Lucerne and DTS RWD replacements are really on hold, rather than canceled, that GM "kicked the can down the road" on those two.

Anyway, to get back to the premise of this thread, if Buick needs a perception-changing tagline, "The Craft of Modern Luxury" sounds good to me.

Buick chief Susan Docherty said General Motors realizes the brand suffers from a consumer perception that its vehicles are for elderly, conservative buyers.

That isn't perception, that is truth, the average age of a Buick sedan buyer is 67. Build a conservative looking, soft riding, full size sedan with oversized buttons and clocks on the dash and you'll get that demographic.

"The only way to travel is Buick style" is my guess. Otherwise they will just use whatever Lexus used 10 years ago, since they want to be like Lexus but are several years behind them.

That isn't perception, that is truth, the average age of a Buick sedan buyer is 67.

According to the January 8, 2009 Detroit Free Press, "the average age of a U.S. Buick buyer is 63."

Guess we'll have to begin by changing YOUR wrong perception, smk4565 <_<

( Soup Nazi's voice: "No soup for you! Next!")

I kinda liked "Drive Beautiful"

Oh, I really didn't like it at all.

How about..

Buick is car.

No no... how about...

Rethink...

No no...

Seriously though I like Wildcat's "The Craft of Modern Luxury".

Or they could be just bold and go right out there with, "Not your blue-haired grandmother's Buick", but that's too close to Not Your Father's Oldsmobile" ;)

...balthazar: Are you having fun? I was trying to have a serious discussion...

Sorry- was only banging on those with the gag tag lines. Hence the rolleyes.

I like the sound of 'The Craft of Modern Luxury', but at first read/listen, I do ponder it's exact meaning a bit...

What was the past tagline that had 'American' in it? I liked that one the best out of the recent ones, and with true Buick styling heritage coming back nicely, perhaps it would not be unfitting to re-incorporate it.

Because reminding people that it's American will drive them away.

How about an ad mentioning how some Buicks are built in Canada---Canada implies cool--and mention that Buick is big in China?

Or 'The Relentless Pursuit of Lexus'..:)

Edited by moltar

Didn't Buick use the "Beyond Precision" tagline not so long ago. With the Enclave, new LaCrosse, and new Regal, Buick would finally have the appropriate products to back up this tagline.

I do like "The Craft Of Modern Luxury" also.

The fact is that it will take the great products AND effective marketing to change the public's perception of the brand. Buick seems to finally be in a position to make this happen.

According to the January 8, 2009 Detroit Free Press, "the average age of a U.S. Buick buyer is 63."

Guess we'll have to begin by changing YOUR wrong perception, smk4565 <_<

( Soup Nazi's voice: "No soup for you! Next!")

Because the Enclave's average is around 56-57, which is enough to bring the Lucerne/LaCrosse 67 down to 63.

Oldsmobile's by comparison was 47 when they got rid of them, whoops, got rid of the wrong brand.

How about an ad mentioning how some Buicks are built in Canada---Canada implies cool--and mention that Buick is big in China?

Or 'The Relentless Pursuit of Lexus'..:)

GM Shanghai had a poor year in 2008, with Buick being the reason. Chevy did well and posted an increase, but Buick was down 10%.

I do like the Pursuing Lexus tagline. For example Lexus had a 250 hp, 3 liter, DI V6 in 2006, now in 2010, Buick gets one.

GM Shanghai had a poor year in 2008, with Buick being the reason. Chevy did well and posted an increase, but Buick was down 10%.

GM China took the Sail away from Buick and gave it to Chevy. Also, I don't consider the Buick Excelle or the GL8 to be on the level of quality and refinement and style of these latest Buicks. They need to improve them.

Edited by wildcat

Yep, Northstar, if the market is shifting to smaller and more fuel-efficient cars, then I suppose the Lucerne has received its last investment. (But why do many here keep asking for the Buick Statesman to come here as a Roadmaster or whatever? Yes, the interior was nice at the time... but look how nice these latest GM interiors seem to be. Besides, it'd be TOO BIG, IMHO.)

Meanwhile, on the forum of CamaroZ28.com, a knowledgeable poster, guion ("Guy") says the Lucerne and DTS RWD replacements are really on hold, rather than canceled, that GM "kicked the can down the road" on those two.

Anyway, to get back to the premise of this thread, if Buick needs a perception-changing tagline, "The Craft of Modern Luxury" sounds good to me.

I gotta say, I still think Buick needs a big car. A Statesman/Roadmaster (basically a highly stylized LWB Zeta) would be welcome by me. I think if Buick is able to do to the LWB Zeta what they did with the Epsilon II for the Lacrosse, then they'd have a real threat as far as a value alternative to the LS460/L like the new Lacrosse fill truly treaten the ES350.

Average age of Buick buyer is 63.

Average age of Lexus buyer is 61.

Buick needs a smaller sedan (Regal) a smaller ute (the Vue) and a convertible, and who will be the old person's brand?

This just made me think of something and goes along with Opels becoming Buicks. What if the VUE gets new fascias and becomes the new Rendezvous since Saturn is now dead?

Oldsmoboi: "Drive Beautiful" wasn't bad.

Northstar: Points well-taken. What do you think of "The Craft of Modern Luxury"? It's classy and aspirational, don't you think?

I like "The Craft of Modern Luxury." It's exactly what Buick will be in a couple years once they get their new models.

since Saturn is now dead

Says who? Different GM officials have given different responses regarding Saturn's future. And, of course, in this forum, PCS predicted that Saturn would become part of the B-P-G channel, replacing Pontiac. Is that not still at least a possibility, if not the likely scenario?

How about Buick forgets the tagline and just build a great line of cars. People will create their own tagline for the make.

Now that's just crazy talk! :AH-HA_wink:

Average age of Buick buyer is 63.

Average age of Lexus buyer is 61.

Buick needs a smaller sedan (Regal) a smaller ute (the Vue) and a convertible, and who will be the old person's brand?

The Lexus ES350's average buyer age is 61. The Lexus brand in 2007 had an average age of 51. And Lexus already has 2 cars the size of the Regal, plus one smaller than that, and they already have a smaller (than Enclave) crossover and a convertible (even though the SC430 sucks, but IS convert. is coming). It could take Buick 2-3 more years to get a smaller sedan and ute, while Lexus has those vehicles for sale today.

Different sources report different ABAs with different samplings. Frankly, I find the claim of 51 for Lexus to be extremely suspect- prolly came from toyota by combining scion & lexus. Speaking of which, toyota's ABA was 46 in '07 and has been steadily climbing.... if lexus @ 51 is true it seems to suggest there is almost zero 'trading up' from one to the other. Nope- 61 sounds much more credible..., and based on the driving involvement most report, 61 sounds low.

Along with the accompanying jingle, the best tagline Buick has ever had.

Here's a later example...not the best Buick ever but you get the point.

BTW, I miss the old Buick Power 6 logo -- it denoted that Buick V6s were special. Would be hard to take seriously now with everything GM Powertrain.

Wouldn't you really rather have a BU-ick?
Edited by buyacargetacheck

Different sources report different ABAs with different samplings. Frankly, I find the claim of 51 for Lexus to be extremely suspect- prolly came from toyota by combining scion & lexus. Speaking of which, toyota's ABA was 46 in '07 and has been steadily climbing.... if lexus @ 51 is true it seems to suggest there is almost zero 'trading up' from one to the other. Nope- 61 sounds much more credible..., and based on the driving involvement most report, 61 sounds low.

51 is totally reasonable for Lexus because the ES350 is 61, and the LS460 is the only other car they have that has an older customer base. The RX and IS attract younger buyers (35-55) and the RX is their best seller. Toyota's average age doesn't matter, people don't buy a Toyota and automatically trade up to Lexus as they age. There are young people that can afford a luxury car just as there are older people that can't.

I'm seriously happy to hear that Buick finally gets it and is changing their advertising to support their drive for a more energetic demographic. I truly think age is not relevant though, it is volume, regardless of age. With the larger demographic of Boomers out there, I think +50 sales are where you wanna be. Vehicles that can span the ages will be the winners.

I liked "The Craft of Modern Luxury." Kinda sounds like Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Robin Turney and Samantha might have put a spell on it, but not bad. How about a twist that highlights Buick's revitalization and gives (and I know I am setting myself up for digs on this one) the impression that Buick is actually moving ahead of the segment. "The Evolution of Modern Luxury", "The Marque of Modern Luxury" or simply "Buick: Make Your Marque" and tie it in with an advertising theme that is geared towards innovators that want to make their mark on the world with their statement of style. This builds desirability, since most consumers want everything that they perceive pacesetters want. I can see a campaign built around a group of celebrities that people perceive as luxury style setters. They are driving Buicks in their fashionista worlds, to their corporate jets, even customizing them to set them apart. And I don't mean necessarily in a SEMA kind of way, more upscale, in a Fergie kind of way.