North Carolina - what's it like?

Going to be in both Raleigh and Charlotte about a month from now.

What are they like? Are they similar or dissimilar? What's there to do?

I've heard that North Carolina is a beautiful state. I've only been near Raleigh for a wedding while I was living in Atlanta. I know I liked Atlanta.

Charlotte's twice as big as Raleigh, but I think you knew that.

Charlotte pretty much is its own entity, whereas with Raleigh you can easily swing over to Cary, Durham, or Chapel Hill to find things to do and places to see.

I'll let FoG chime in here... he's a Charlottean, whereas I don't even live in NC (yet).

NC is great.

I can't say much about Raleigh because I haven't been there in a while (probably close to 10 years) but I do know that people speak highly of Chapel Hill.

Charlotte is a very nice city. It's not as pretty as the mountains (Asheville -- where I'm originally from) but it's clean and for the most part everyone I've encountered is nice. My only complaints are 1) Sprawl... Uptown is grouped together pretty well, but the metro area is HUGE and seems to never end. 2) Lack of culture. If any of you have ever been to Asheville, you know that we have an ABUNDANCE of culture. Charlotte on the other hand is a very 'black and white' business oriented environment. (Naturally. It's the banking capital) It has culture (the art district I live in now is amazing) but you have to look really hard to find it.

Traditionally, Charlotte is divided into two sections; uptown, which is the newer, cleaner, (and definitely safer) big bank and skyscraper section. The people that hang out their are usually the banking employees. The environment is nice in that it's elegant and classy but it can also be very uptight and mundane. Downtown is the area surrounding the city that consists of industrial architecture, small businesses, older neighborhoods and sometimes 'the ghetto.' This is what gave Charlotte such a bad reputation of crime and poverty. But now, the city is starting to 'push out' from uptown and revitalize a lot of these areas. NoDa, my arts district, is one area that is very nice, but definitely still on the edge of 'transition' 'Elizabeth' is another area that is nice now as is 'South End' and 'Dilworth' Charlotte planners once subscribed to the old sociological concept of putting section 8 housing next to million dollar neighborhoods so that the "disadvantaged" people could "learn good habits from the well off" As a result, Charlotte still remains a mixture of good and bad neighborhoods. For instance, 'South Park' one of our premiere neighborhoods with million dollar houses is positioned right next to section 8 housing, so you'll literally drive from 'yuppie-ville' to 'ghetto land' at one stoplight.

I don't know what your tastes are, but there are tons of small diners and dives that have great history and great food. The uptown scene has a bunch of clubs as well (I don't club because me in a club would be like waiving a red flag at a bull) There are also quite a few historical elements that are really cool to see. The outskirts of the city (the surrounding counties) are pretty much stereotypical NC (very country and simplistic -- charming) I'm a bit eccentric, so I'm not sure if I should be giving you advice on what to do. I usually spend my free time either partaking in the car culture of the region, taking in historic or "old" things that I think are cool (industrial things, antiques, etc) and hanging out in my neighborhood with the localites. There are some cool museums and tourist-y things too.

A no brainer, but here it is anyway: Wikipedia: Charlotte

Charlotte Neighborhoods

NoDa

Here is a list of local eats that I posted a while back: http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?sh...OF_GM&st=20

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

If it is still there, I highly recommend Hugo's Diner in Charlotte.

The place is a complete dive, but the food is awesome!

I got the "Beltbuster Breakfast", it comes on three plates!

Also the tour of Charlotte International Speedway (or whatever they call it now) was awesome. They put you in a huge Chevy van with a big block and race around the track so you can feel the cetrifugal force as you speed up and it pulls you to an upright position from a lean. Then they stop in the middle of one of the turns, and you feel like you are about to tip over.

Great experience ( though I would rather have done some hot laps).

I've been to Charlotte a few times....most recently back in April for a job interview.

Charlotte kind of struck me as Atlanta's quiet little sister. Actually, Charlotte is a bigger city, population-wise, than Atlanta.....but doesn't have nearly as many suburbs so it feels like a smaller city.

Uptown was a conglomeration of newly-built highrises with the defacto increase in loft/condo developments in the city center that so many other cities have been building. However, it seemed to me to be a "roll-up-the-carpet-at-5pm" type of city.....at least compared to Atlanta.

I didn't get a huge chance to explore different neighborhoods......but it probably seems like a decent place to live.....but probably a little on the dull side compared to Atlanta (if one was looking at a major southeastern city to relocate to.)

I got the "Beltbuster Breakfast", it comes on three plates!

They put you in a huge Chevy van with a big block and race around the track

You shouldn't have told me about the first one. I will probably go!

And the Charlotte International Raceway tour with that perk costs how much? :lol:

Yah, I'm from the Triangle area, but I don't know how much help I could be to you. The only time I ever really go into Raleigh is in the summer for the free concert series they have. The downtown area is pretty nice, albeit rather small, with some nice parks, government buildings, and museums all within pretty close proximity to each other. Raleigh also still has more of a small-town feel than Charlotte. Downtown Durham is similar in that it's not very big, but has some nice areas. The triangle also has a pretty good arts/music scene, aided by the large number of colleges in the area.

Edited by Enzora

NC is great.

I can't say much about Raleigh because I haven't been there in a while (probably close to 10 years) but I do know that people speak highly of Chapel Hill.

Charlotte is a very nice city. It's not as pretty as the mountains (Asheville -- where I'm originally from) but it's clean and for the most part everyone I've encountered is nice. My only complaints are 1) Sprawl... Uptown is grouped together pretty well, but the metro area is HUGE and seems to never end. 2) Lack of culture. If any of you have ever been to Asheville, you know that we have an ABUNDANCE of culture. Charlotte on the other hand is a very 'black and white' business oriented environment. (Naturally. It's the banking capital) It has culture (the art district I live in now is amazing) but you have to look really hard to find it.

Traditionally, Charlotte is divided into two sections; uptown, which is the newer, cleaner, (and definitely safer) big bank and skyscraper section. The people that hang out their are usually the banking employees. The environment is nice in that it's elegant and classy but it can also be very uptight and mundane. Downtown is the area surrounding the city that consists of industrial architecture, small businesses, older neighborhoods and sometimes 'the ghetto.' This is what gave Charlotte such a bad reputation of crime and poverty. But now, the city is starting to 'push out' from uptown and revitalize a lot of these areas. NoDa, my arts district, is one area that is very nice, but definitely still on the edge of 'transition' 'Elizabeth' is another area that is nice now as is 'South End' and 'Dilworth' Charlotte planners once subscribed to the old sociological concept of putting section 8 housing next to million dollar neighborhoods so that the "disadvantaged" people could "learn good habits from the well off" As a result, Charlotte still remains a mixture of good and bad neighborhoods. For instance, 'South Park' one of our premiere neighborhoods with million dollar houses is positioned right next to section 8 housing, so you'll literally drive from 'yuppie-ville' to 'ghetto land' at one stoplight.

I don't know what your tastes are, but there are tons of small diners and dives that have great history and great food. The uptown scene has a bunch of clubs as well (I don't club because me in a club would be like waiving a red flag at a bull) There are also quite a few historical elements that are really cool to see. The outskirts of the city (the surrounding counties) are pretty much stereotypical NC (very country and simplistic -- charming) I'm a bit eccentric, so I'm not sure if I should be giving you advice on what to do. I usually spend my free time either partaking in the car culture of the region, taking in historic or "old" things that I think are cool (industrial things, antiques, etc) and hanging out in my neighborhood with the localites. There are some cool museums and tourist-y things too.

A no brainer, but here it is anyway: Wikipedia: Charlotte

Charlotte Neighborhoods

NoDa

Here is a list of local eats that I posted a while back: http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?sh...OF_GM&st=20

I was just looking at a Google map of uptown Charlotte (this kind of stuff always interests me) and HOLY PARKING LOTS BATMAN! What's the story behind that? I'm guessing urban renewal, but it's amazing how much of that area within the interstate loop are surface lots.

Charlotte has a pretty nice skyline for its size.

I was just looking at a Google map of uptown Charlotte (this kind of stuff always interests me) and HOLY PARKING LOTS BATMAN! What's the story behind that? I'm guessing urban renewal, but it's amazing how much of that area within the interstate loop are surface lots.

Yeah, about that. . . North Carolina really has yet to embrace mass transit culture. Charlotte just now has a light rail, but that's about it. Kind of ironic, since trains used to be a huge part of the North Carolina economy.

I like the tallest of the towers - I think it's B of A. It tapers off with a nice layered "crown," if you will, from a distance. Seen closer up, it's a little too "chromey" and busy. But I agree with you.

A lot of the southern cities, for some reason, have these parking lots here and there in their CBDs. In ATL, they are pretty much GONE with all the infill and development, but you'll see them in Montgomery, Jacksonville, etc. (They're not Montreal in terms of its downtown urban core, that's for sure).

I like the tallest of the towers - I think it's B of A. It tapers off with a nice layered "crown," if you will, from a distance. Seen closer up, it's a little too "chromey" and busy. But I agree with you.

A lot of the southern cities, for some reason, have these parking lots here and there in their CBDs. In ATL, they are pretty much GONE with all the infill and development, but you'll see them in Montgomery, Jacksonville, etc. (They're not Montreal in terms of its downtown urban core, that's for sure).

Interesting.. I guess the cost of the land was low enough at the time the lots were built that it was cheaper to build lots instead of garages. I don't see very much in the way of lots in Denver or Phoenix's CBDs---lots of parking garages.

Charlotte has this bad habit (and I say that because I am a preservationist above all else) of going into places and just bulldozing everything down. My guess is that the surface lots are a by product of that. I've also heard that Charlotte is very against free standing parking garages for some reason. Parking is a nightmare though; I have friends that work for BAC that pay $500-800 each year to park and they still have to walk multiple blocks to get to their offices.

This 'bulldozing everything' was a BIG trend in the late 60s & early 70s (as the city was dying along with the textile industry -- maybe they subscribed to the sociological theory that old buildings increase opportunity for crime) That's essentially what they did to uptown Charlotte and that's one of the reasons why it's so well planned and so clean. It's basically NEW. But at the same time, it's really sad for me because only one or two historical buildings remain at the core of uptown.

The most extreme examples of this were that some african american communities around the city were just basically destroyed in the 60s, forcing their residents to relocate. It was a sad and very unfair occurrence.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Yep, that would be the BAC building... The Hearst tower beside it is also one of my favorites. They're both kind of gothic.

BAC:

398864.jpg

Hearst:

200px-Charlotte_hearsttower_skyscra.jpg

That's Cesar Pelli's masterpiece.

Charlotte has put height restrictions on all new buildings so that the BAC building will remain the tallest structure in the area.

I was going to say KPF, but I could see Pelli as well. A lot of times, the reason why there's incongruence in a building's design is because of "design by committee." I'm sure it's present even in larger, highbrow firms.

Nags Head is nice in a relaxing sort of way. Back then, it wasn't very commercial at all (winter of '94 -- I'm sure it's changed) I went in the winter and it was peaceful, if not depressing. Even the Hardees and Wal-Mart were seasonal back then. I'm a light house fanatic, so be sure to see a couple of those. I think the coolest are Hatteras (naturally) and Bodie (because of the story behind it) Wilmington is nice, lots of history there. New Bern was cool as well and seemed to me to have a certain charm that Wilmington lacked.

Honestly, the coolest coastal place I've been in the Carolinas is Charleston SC. There is just SO MUCH history there!

Honestly, the coolest coastal place I've been in the Carolinas is Charleston SC. There is just SO MUCH history there!

How is Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head (both SC)? Is the surf fairly calm and the water a nice color (read "Florida Panhandle")?

Charlotte has this bad habit (and I say that because I am a preservationist above all else) of going into places and just bulldozing everything down. My guess is that the surface lots are a by product of that. I've also heard that Charlotte is very against free standing parking garages for some reason. Parking is a nightmare though; I have friends that work for BAC that pay $500-800 each year to park and they still have to walk multiple blocks to get to their offices.

This 'bulldozing everything' was a BIG trend in the late 60s & early 70s (as the city was dying along with the textile industry -- maybe they subscribed to the sociological theory that old buildings increase opportunity for crime) That's essentially what they did to uptown Charlotte and that's one of the reasons why it's so well planned and so clean. It's basically NEW. But at the same time, it's really sad for me because only one or two historical buildings remain at the core of uptown.

The most extreme examples of this were that some african american communities around the city were just basically destroyed in the 60s, forcing their residents to relocate. It was a sad and very unfair occurrence.

Yeah, I noticed that while most of the city's street layout looks pretty haphazard (as do many East Coast cities), the city center is actually grided.

I wonder why Charlotte would be against parking garages. Des Moines had quite a bit of surface parking as a result of urban renewal in the 50s and 60s, but they started building parking garages and are filling in a lot of the remaining surface parking with new buildings. Some of the parking garages are even pretty architecturally interesting (as far as parking garages go).

Des Moines went through the same thing in the 60s when they bulldozed an African American neighborhood to make way for I-235. Most moved into the area around Drake University. Omaha also destroyed a massive historic district of 8-story warehouses from its meatpacking days to build a suburban campus for ConAgra right on the edge of downtown. This was back in the 80s before the loft conversion trend. They really missed out on an opportunity and destroyed some architectural gems in the process. Preservationists were pretty PO'ed at the time.

That's Cesar Pelli's masterpiece. It' concrete all the way through (no steel, except in the middle) so the walls are about the size of a 3rd world country :)

Charlotte has put height restrictions on all new buildings so that the BAC building will remain the tallest structure in the area.

Isn't Donald Trump putting up a new highrise that's supposed to be Charlotte's new tallest? I thought I read that somewhere.

How is Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head (both SC)? Is the surf fairly calm and the water a nice color (read "Florida Panhandle")?

Myrtle Beach is the Jersey Shore of the South.

The outer banks are great, (and being an aviation buff, you really owe it to yourself to go to Kitty Hawk) and Charleston is an amazing city.

The outer banks are great, (and being an aviation buff, you really owe it to yourself to go to Kitty Hawk) and Charleston is an amazing city.

Don't know how it is now, but in the early '80s I remember Myrtle Beach as a popular vacation place for E. Ohioans--just straight down I-77 and over.... my folks and I went down there a couple times before we bought the house in the Florida Keys. I remember quite a few neighbors and friends in elem. school talking about visiting MB. Went to Charleston once also as a kid, seemed like a really nice place.

How is Myrtle Beach

We camp a lot at Myrtle Beach, that makes it tolerable because we're pretty much on the outskirts -- almost into Surfside beach, actually. I mean, I love it there (especially camping) but it's become such a "party town" for stupid HS students and frat boys that I think it's getting a bad rep.

Hilton Head (both SC)?

Hilton Head has quite the reputation with the 'high brow' around here. I've never been, but my GF has and says that it's not appealing at all. She thought the place was really run down, dirty and boring.

Is the surf fairly calm and the water a nice color (read "Florida Panhandle")?

The surf is usually pretty calm unless a storm is somewhere close. The water is murky and a dark blue to mud brown kind of color. It's pretty, but it's not the gulf by any means.

LMAO... Yep.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Yep, that would be the BAC building... The Hearst tower beside it is also one of my favorites. They're both kind of gothic.

BAC:

398864.jpg

Hearst:

200px-Charlotte_hearsttower_skyscra.jpg

That's an old image. It still has the old trade center with the pyramid roof. It was torn down many years ago. The predominant design theme in uptown architecture is Art Deco. The BOA building has a HUGE, beautiful mural in its lobby that is an Art Deco representation of Charlotte history and lifestyles. I organized a convention in Charlotte for the X-Files Fan Club. The folks were from all over the country and they were astonished by how clean it is and how nice. Charlotte is nothing but suburbs. The city absorbs 90% of the county it resides in, Mecklenburg. So much so that the county and city governments have merged. Great lake community too. Lake Norman. It is huge and interconnects numerous counties. I have a houseboat on the northern end. I'm between Charlotte and the mountains, but I lived in Charlotte for five years. Great place. Here is a good reference:

Charlotte's Got A Lot

Edited by InvictaMan

We are going to the coast of NC in June for vacation. Any suggestions of where to stay, what part of the coast and what to do there? It's my first time and I've always wanted to visit there. We're going to fly into Raleigh.

Wow, Raleigh is a long way from the coast of NC. It will be a long drive through areas of mostly agriculture. If you flew into Wilmington you could do the Outer Banks and Charleston for that drive. Charleston rocks if you like historical scenery, great Blues festival. Myrtle Beach is just over an hour from Wilmington. If you want tourists, do MB central. I agree it is not Gulf quality water by any means, and very crowded. It is a Mecca for dining out and outlet shopping. To get away from the crowds, go to North Myrtle Beach (a chain of beaches just north of MB). I personally stay in Cherry Grove each year at the first of June. It is one of the few places with beach houses left on the shore, instead of all condo towers. Outer Banks are great, but the beaches are dark sand, unlike the white sand of SC beaches that appeal to sun bathers. Still, a great sight-seeing location. Kitty Hawk is great, and you can hang glide in the vicinity of the Wright Brother's flight. Do the ferry and view the wild horses that roam one of the islands. Hilton Head is more of an enclave. Wealthy folks go there to get away, not socialze with the public. Beautiful scenery, but little to do. One of President Clinton's favorite vacation spots. I had to go 45 minutes and 15 miles out of my way once while his motorcade was coming in for New Year's.

Have fun!

Edited by InvictaMan

That's an old image. It still has the old trade center with the pyramid roof. It was torn down many years ago. The predominant design theme in uptown architecture is Art Deco. The BOA building has a HUGE, beautiful mural in its lobby that is an Art Deco representation of Charlotte history and lifestyles. I organized a convention in Charlotte for the X-Files Fan Club. The folks were from all over the country and they were astonished by how clean it is and how nice. Charlotte is nothing but suburbs. The city absorbs 90% of the county it resides in, Mecklenburg. So much so that the county and city governments have merged. Great lake community too. Lake Norman. It is huge and interconnects numerous counties. I have a houseboat on the northern end. I'm between Charlotte and the mountains, but I lived in Charlotte for five years. Great place. Here is a good reference:

Charlotte's Got A Lot

That's an awesome website!

Yeah, I've been here off and on for about 3 years now. I like the place, but I still haven't been around uptown that much.

It's certainly a lot better than it's reputation in NC (and maybe beyond) paint it to be. When you tell someone from NC that you live in Charlotte, they look at you like you're crazy.

That's an awesome website!

Yeah, I've been here off and on for about 3 years now. I like the place, but I still haven't been around uptown that much.

It's certainly a lot better than it's reputation in NC (and maybe beyond) paint it to be. When you tell someone from NC that you live in Charlotte, they look at you like you're crazy.

Glad you liked it. I think most of those looks come from the fact that most North Carolinians live in Mayberry and they find it hard to believe that anyone would want to live in a metropolitan area. Not to mention that Raleigh feels incredibly threatened by Charlotte; they've been left to grow on their own with little state resources, and they have done it very well. I've traveled to enough large cities to realize that Charlotte is way above the average. Once they get light rail expanded, it will really be great. Not so many folks live in the Uptown area and folks drive cars there like they do in LA. I have always thought of Charlotte as the Southern version of LA. Small uptown and suburbs that go on for days.

Once they get light rail expanded, it will really be great. Not so many folks live in the Uptown area and folks drive cars there like they do in LA. I have always thought of Charlotte as the Southern version of LA. Small uptown and suburbs that go on for days.

Ahh, like Phoenix. Phoenix's downtown is pretty small, not much for the 5th largest city in the US. But the city itself stretches for about 25 miles north to south, and the suburbs go probably 75 miles across east to west...

Glad you liked it. I think most of those looks come from the fact that most North Carolinians live in Mayberry and they find it hard to believe that anyone would want to live in a metropolitan area. Not to mention that Raleigh feels incredibly threatened by Charlotte; they've been left to grow on their own with little state resources, and they have done it very well. I've traveled to enough large cities to realize that Charlotte is way above the average. Once they get light rail expanded, it will really be great. Not so many folks live in the Uptown area and folks drive cars there like they do in LA. I have always thought of Charlotte as the Southern version of LA. Small uptown and suburbs that go on for days.

I'm laughing at the underlined portion, Invicta, since I never thought that....and I was born in LA and have spent most of my life in the West.

When I thought of North Carolina, even as a little kid who loved geography, I always thought the following: green, gorgeous winding roads in the Smokies, great universities like Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill, Cape Hatteras jutting out into the Atlantic, potential hurricane threats, slight Southern accent (well, it IS the South), smack in the middle of the Atlantic seaboard, and lots of brick homes and buildings. I've always thought of it as being a lot like Virginia (which I know better), but at a more southern latitude.

Well, I'll find out in a few weeks.

Edited by trinacriabob

I'm laughing at the underlined portion, Invicta, since I never thought that....and I was born in LA and have spent most of my life in the West.

When I thought of North Carolina, even as a little kid who loved geography, I always thought the following: green, gorgeous winding roads in the Smokies, great universities like Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill, Cape Hatteras jutting out into the Atlantic, potential hurricane threats, slight Southern accent (well, it IS the South), smack in the middle of the Atlantic seaboard, and lots of brick homes and buildings. I've always thought of it as being a lot like Virginia (which I know better), but at a more southern latitude.

Mmmm.....winding roads. A road trip and various excursions throughout the Blue Ridges and Smokies in VA, NC and TN is on my to-do list, but in something more fun than the usual rental car.

Since I've spent most of my time in the West since mid '97, there is a lot of the Eastern US (besides places I've lived like E. Ohio/W. Pa, SE Michigan, S. Florida) that I haven't seen, that I want to explore. Been reading Fodors, Frommers, and Google maps a lot lately (I've been a map fanatic since childhood, I remember pouring over my Dad's Rand McNally atlas from around '77-78).

Edited by moltar

Mmmm.....winding roads. A road trip and various excursions throughout the Blue Ridges and Smokies in VA, NC and TN is on my to-do list, but in something more fun than the usual rental car.

I'm very partial to the mountains of NC myself. Great driving opportunities if you love winding roads. And the sites are fantastic. I highly recommend Hwy 221 from Blowing Rock (a must see NC spot). It winds it's way up to the Linville Gorge (see below, the Linville River is 1,400 feet down over the edge of that cliff). I used to love making friends turn green on that route, in my 1985 Honda Prelude. For a po' boy's sports car, it handled tight on those curves. My Pilot is far less engaging now, lol. Be interesting to see how a new LaCrosse would take them.

MountainPic.jpg

Your imagery is dead on. NC is very much like VA in some areas, very Colonial. Matter of fact, a portrait of Queen Charlotte (Charlotte's namesake) hangs in the ball room of the Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, so Colonial comes naturally. And yes, lol, I live in a brick house in Mayberry. Lifestyles and scenery change greatly from west to east. Even dialects and accents. NC is like Cali in that fashion as well. From side to side, like Cali is top to bottom, it is quite a stretch and changes dramatically, offering a full spectrum of possibilities. Guess that's why I'm one of the rare, native Carolinians left, lol. BTW, I'll be spending President's Day weekend in Blowing Rock, the almost exact opposite end of the state from where you are going. Winding roads here I come! Can't wait to hear about your trip. My advise is, be patient. Things and people are much slower here. I get razzed by my Cali friends about how slow I talk all the time.

Edited by InvictaMan

I'm very partial to the mountains of NC myself. Great driving opportunities if you love winding roads. And the sites are fantastic. I highly recommend Hwy 221 from Blowing Rock (a must see NC spot). It winds it's way up to the Linville Gorge (see below, the Linville River is 1,400 feet down over the edge of that cliff). I used to love making friends turn green on that route, in my 1985 Honda Prelude. For a po' boy's sports car, it handled tight on those curves. My Pilot is far less engaging now, lol. Be interesting to see how a new LaCrosse would take them.

MountainPic.jpg

That is a very pretty drive..

The roads in the mountains are one reason I bought the Focus. It does great in the curves.

I have many "out of the way" roads around my house that I could recommend. Another good road is the route over Clingman's Dome from Cherokee NC to Gatlinburg TN. Absolutely beautiful.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

roan montain has a nice view.

I know you're a classic car lover. Ever go to the Elizabethton cruise ins?

Every saturday night in the summer, they take over downtown Elizabethton. I LOVE that place... The town and mountains are so beautiful! If I go home for the summer, I make it a point to drive over there a few times. (It's only about 40 min to an hour away from my house)

a really cool spot to go to is mount mitchell. pack a coat though. ive seen foot long icesicles in september up there. i believe its the highest peak this side of the mississippi.

Yessir... The range I live on is shared by Mt. Mitchell. I can almost see it from my back yard. That's some rugged terrain too (in terms of the appalachians) Lots of history up there including a few old plane wrecks from the old Black Mountains air field. The planes would take off from the valley and misjudge the height of the mountains because of the fog or get caught in whatever storm was sitting there at the time and crash.

very interesting about the plane crashes. are they still there? no i never got a chance to head out to the car shows but my grandparents knew of them. i figure i havent been up there in 5-8yrs now. sad really. loved the land and tranquility up there. unfortunately i'll only be a visitor up there now as my grandparents sold their property last year.

There are still some rusted bits left. Nothing major.

There is also a steam engine wreck on one of the mountains. One of the old mining companies had a derailed train and decided it was too costly to remove it. (I guess)

On a related note, I've tried to research the old mills there in Elizabethton but haven't found much. They're still standing but badly in need of renovation. (Although I'm sure they'll be demolished instead... Eventually)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Hey, so are there are good "gotta go to" food establishments in RDU and CLT that locals faithfully go to?

Camino has already mentioned Hugo's Diner in CLT. Any others recommended? Favorite food types: American, Italian and Greek.

Good Italian and Greek food, below the Mason/Dixon line? :rotflmao:

I have a friend from Birmingham AL who told me there was a Little Italy there and that there was a sizable Guido contingent at his Catholic HS there.

Also, there are small Greek communities in certain Southern cities. I once saw a beautiful Greek Orthodox church on the Florida panhandle (the Redneck Riviera). You probably know that Tarpon Springs, north of Tampa, has many Greeks.

So, yes, it can be found.

I have a friend from Birmingham AL who told me there was a Little Italy there and that there was a sizable Guido contingent at his Catholic HS there.

Also, there are small Greek communities in certain Southern cities. I once saw a beautiful Greek Orthodox church on the Florida panhandle (the Redneck Riviera). You probably know that Tarpon Springs, north of Tampa, has many Greeks.

So, yes, it can be found.

Florida is not really the South though, I mean after all, they don't even have BBQ ... :smilewide:

Click here:

(Take a look at what state they show when they talk about Florida :rotflmao: ) Edited by Pontiac Custom-S