invertigo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest Lynn Vandenbusche

Ooh I cannot stand it when people say I'm-Paula-ah!!! When did this start??? Mid westerners say Impala as far as I know!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Frankinthe218

I've always pronounced it as imPALa because that's how I've always heard it in commercials. Also Tim Allan and jay Leno pronounce it that same way and both are serious car guys. And a lot of the car guys in my area pronounce it imPALa (though some do pronounce it imPAULA)

• 1 year later...

THIS is how you pronounce Impala:

I'd rather have it be pronounced withOUT that exhaust note, but the car itself is in impeccable shape.

This had to have been the most provocative Impala ever as well as one of GM's most unforgettable models.  And, back then, they could actually spend the money to change cars to some degree each and every year.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 4

In a similar vein, I've heard jag-U-wahr, jag-war, jag-wahr and jag-wire (I go with the 3rd).    Aw-di and Ow-di (I go with the first).  I've heard Bon-UH-vil and Bonnie-vil (I go with the first)...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I'd say "jag-wahr." 

And "Bon-uh-vil" (for the American market) but "Bonn-veel" (for the French-Canadian market).

Yup...that is what I do.

jag-wahr and Bon-uh-vil.

And when Pontiac used to exist and I was talking to Frenchies, I would   say  it in French...Bonn-veel (close enough)

Chevrolet Cavalier would actually not be 'Cavaleer' for me, it would be the French way, because it actually is a French word...I cannot even spell it out the way it sounds in French, but Ill try, 'Cavalieeh'

I love speaking French. Its such a nice romantic language.   Not the Québec "redneck" jargon, but the normal Québec French. A nice eductaed Québec French accent is not snooty like a Parisienne accent. I hate that accent...

Marseille French I love also. When Marseillaise girls speak it, I buckle at the knees. Ive met a couple. Good times...😇   😉

As far as Impala goes...

Its Imp-aa-la for me...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

I can't tell Quebec highbrow French from Quebec redneck street French from French highbrow French from French redneck street French.  Generally, you can tell street French (whether in Quebec or in France) because of the way the people dress, behave, and/or if they are good candidates for the Jerry Springer Show because they are talking out of the sides of their mouths and because their speech is gravelly.  All I know is that I just stick to what I learned in 3 years of high school French.  It has worked well so far.  I've been treated better for speaking French to Francophones.  Not only that, you'd be surprised at how quickly the language comes back to you if immersed in a place where you have little choice but to speak French.  And, I learned that, while it may have been in the textbooks, calling a waiter a "garcon" has been unacceptable for at least two decades!

Edited by trinacriabob

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I can't tell Quebec highbrow French from Quebec redneck street French from French highbrow French from French redneck street French.  Generally, you can tell street French (whether in Quebec or in France) because of the way the people dress, behave, and/or if they are good candidates for the Jerry Springer Show because they are talking out of the sides of their mouths and because their speech is gravelly.  All I know is that I just stick to what I learned in 3 years of high school French.  It has worked well so far.  I've been treated better for speaking French to Francophones.  Not only that, you'd be surprised at how quickly the language comes back to you if immersed in a place where you have little choice but to speak French.  And, I learned that, while it may have been in the textbooks, calling a waiter a "garcon" has been unacceptable for at least two decades!

You dont click your fingers to get their attention either...

The French are cool people. They just want you to respect them and their language and culture. Isnt that what we all want?

They do not care if you speak English.  But they do care if you try to speak French to them. THAT goes a long way with them. Especially if you choose to LIVE in the province.  

All these years, decades, Ive heard English Canada brow beat them because they want to preserve their language and heritage...in Quebec...

Im soooooo happy to see and read and hear what some English speaking North Americans are saying about our current legal and illegal immigration affairs that I almost piss my pants laughing daily on what excuses I hear from them. Kinda like the shoe is on the other foot...

Life's little ironies...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

You dont click your fingers to get their attention either...

The French are cool people. They just want you to respect them and their language and culture. Isnt that what we all want?

They do not care if you speak English.  But they do care if you try to speak French to them. THAT goes a long way with them. Especially if you choose to LIVE in the province.  

All these years, decades, Ive heard English Canada brow beat them because they want to preserve their language and heritage...in Quebec...

I have no problems with the French(-Canadians) whatsoever.  They have a quick wit, a good dose of sarcasm, and a worldly outlook.  (Maybe some of the rednecks don't.)

I will never forget reading this.  When the Quebec Referendum still had some followers but was starting to sputter, some politician in Quebec City was defending the maintenance of the French language for official affairs.  His comment was:

"We do not need to speak French ...

We need French in order to speak."

Classic!  And, with an accent, that must have been a hoot to hear in person.

Edited by trinacriabob

Only worked w/ one French Canadian.  He was interesting...introduced me to poutine.  I worked with quite a few Canadians from Regina, Saskatchewan in Denver...great bunch...they were a work hard, party hard crew...

Took some time to get used to JAAA-va instead of 'JAH-va' and Zed instead of Z...  along w/ Western Pizza, Kokanee beer, Canadian Mist, etc...

Edited by Robert Hall

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I work with one Canadian and it is hilarious when he gets mad and lets out a string of cusswords punctuated with "eh" 

Damn the only guy here who loses it occasionally is from Connecticut..  We are convinced he will be the first employee here to pass on the job, likely from a stroke.  Has been saying "I've had enough of this place, I'm going to quit.  Bangs the desk, F&*^Q@#$( this etc etc" for 10 years around once a week.  He only gets away with it because he puts up decent sales numbers.  He is our canary in the coal mine for citrix and office 365 that is for sure.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, frogger said:

Damn the only guy here who loses it occasionally is from Connecticut..  We are convinced he will be the first employee here to pass on the job, likely from a stroke.  Has been saying "I've had enough of this place, I'm going to quit.  Bangs the desk, F&*^Q@#$( this etc etc" for 10 years around once a week.  He only gets away with it because he puts up decent sales numbers.  He is our canary in the coal mine for citrix and office 365 that is for sure.

Heh-heh...

I'm glad I'm not still in the IT sweat shop Wells Fargo was in Chandler, AZ 10 years ago when I was there.  On a team of 25 people, one died of a heart attack at age 35 and 2 others (45 and 58) had heart attacks in a 6 month stretch.  The last two had their laptops in the hospital so they could keep working while ill (though they were off their usual 65hr a week output).   3 years there was enough for me. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

This sure has morphed from how to pronounce Impala.  So be it.  Has anyone noticed that some people add a subtle "t" at the end of the word across, that it becomes "acrost?"  I've heard this in many regions of the U.S.  I have not heard it in the Northeast, in South Florida, and in SoCal.  I have heard it in NorCal and points north of there.  I wonder where it hails from and how far it has spread.

You guys have all done the quiz that tells you which region of the U.S. you may be from based on how you speak the English language.  You just answer some 30 or 40 multiple choice questions.  It's amazing.

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

There wasn't a link, but I found this test, an old article from the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=1

Very weird considering I have not been to any of the places it says I talk like.

image.png

• Haha 1

I got weird results from those...Louisville, Ky, Charleston, SC and Memphis.  Which is very odd, as I don't have a Southern accent.  My parents were from Kentucky, my brother was born in Louisville.    I really don't have an Upper Ohio Valley accent (I don't say warsh) or a Cleveland accent (I don't say 'ruff' for 'roof')  either.   Lived in NE Ohio, S Florida, SE Michigan, Colorado and Arizona.   But I do say ‘soda’ and pronounce Aunt as ‘ant’...probably got that from my folks. 

Funny thing is, I've had coworkers when I lived in Colorado ask if I was from California because of my accent/lack of accent.   (and my tendency to refer to freeways w/ 'the' like 'The 480'). 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

Mine formed a line from Sacramento to Modesto to Orange County (Santa Ana/Irvine).  I guess that would be close enough.  Note that the hot spots (orange and red) for these areas make an upward sweep all the way up to the Pacific Northwest and across to the Upper Midwest and western New York state.  When you're going through this, you can definitely pick out the Southernisms.  I lived in Atlanta for a few years and remember some of their folksy expressions.  However, one of them - you "might could" (do this or that) - was downright irritating.  

• 8 months later...
On 11/7/2005 at 10:38 PM, CSpec said:

Clearly #2. ImPALa is very Chicago-y.

I beg to differ as I just called a Chicago Chevrolet dealership to clear this up and was clearly instructed that it is pronounced M Paula as the woman’s name is pronounced. Chicago is off the hook. 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to hear this word as im-PAL-ah, but the last time that I saw the Chevrolet Impala car advertised on U.S. network television, I heard this word as im-PAUL-uh.  I think that the Chevrolet Impala car is being phased-out, at least in the U.S.  I wonder whether General Motors Company, has any preferred pronunciation for Impala.  I reside NNE of Mansfield, about 65 miles NNE of Columbus, Ohio.

1 hour ago, Mr. Michael C. Mott said:

I used to hear this word as im-PAL-ah, but the last time that I saw the Chevrolet Impala car advertised on U.S. network television, I heard this word as im-PAUL-uh.  I think that the Chevrolet Impala car is being phased-out, at least in the U.S.  I wonder whether General Motors Company, has any preferred pronunciation for Impala.  I reside NNE of Mansfield, about 65 miles NNE of Columbus, Ohio.

Welcome to the site!

1 hour ago, Mr. Michael C. Mott said:

Welcome to Cheers and Gears, glad to have you here. 

I would agree that I wonder if GM cares how you pronounce it as it is a dead auto now.

21 hours ago, dfelt said:

Welcome to Cheers and Gears, glad to have you here. 

I would agree that I wonder if GM cares how you pronounce it as it is a dead auto now.

It is sad there is no Impala again...maybe it will come back someday, one of Chevy's most iconic names--in 20 years no one will remember the current generic FWD CUVs...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 8:39 AM, Robert Hall said:

It is sad there is no Impala again...maybe it will come back someday, one of Chevy's most iconic names--in 20 years no one will remember the current generic FWD CUVs...

Be interesting to see if Chevrolet uses any of their car names on CUV/SUV/Pickups going forward in the EV world.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Would be pretty stupid to throw away all that equity for no reason.

Are you saying it would be stupid to use those car names on an EV or to not use them at all would be stupid? Not really sure what you are implying. 🤔

Or are you saying use them on ev cars?

I've stated it numerous times here before.

It'd be stupid to change the name of the same model simply because the motive power changes.

That'd be like Chevy having 4 different names for the 1/2-ton pickup because it has a 4-cyl gas, a 6-cyl turbodiesel, one 8-cyl gas or another 8-cyl gas engine.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

I've stated it numerous times here before.

It'd be stupid to change the name of the same model simply because the motive power changes.

That'd be like Chevy having 4 different names for the 1/2-ton pickup because it has a 4-cyl gas, a 6-cyl turbodiesel, one 8-cyl gas or another 8-cyl gas engine.

GM clearly does not care about name equity or they wouldn’t have misnamed the Silverado EV. There is a group of buyers out there clamoring for a replacement for their Avalanche. It’s waning due to age, but the Avalanche had some fantastic nameplate retention numbers. The reason it took me so long to find one was because people don’t give them up until 300k miles.

I do agree than some nameplates have been changed for little to no reason, and unquestionably the shown 'Silverado EV' should've been named the Avalanche (still hoping there's a 'real' pickup reveal, or at least separate body/bed variants coming).  But to be fair, GM has many nameplates that have lasted for decades & decades, including the longest running nameplate in the industry.