Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOS2006

Ford Cancels RWD Sedan Plans

18 posts in this topic

http://www.leftlanenews.com/design-chief-f...an-program.html

Amid a tightening budget and uncertainty surrounding demand for large vehicles, Ford has been forced to shelve plans for new rear-wheel-drive sedans, according to design chief J Mays. The news comes six months after high gas prices prompted Ford to begin re-evaluating its RWD program.

Rumors about the new platform have been circulating for the past couple of years, and the longstanding story has been the architecture would be developed in Australia, where such vehicles are particularly popular.

“We’re going down a path right now that is all about fuel efficiency, and we’ve got a lot to do about that. So we’re not talking about rear-wheel drive,” Mays told Automotive News. RWD is “out of the cycle plan,” he added.

Mays said he is disappointed the projects have been cancelled. “I was very excited about it,” he said, noting that market conditions “changed right before our eyes.”

Ford and Lincoln were expected to get at least one model each. The cars were expected to draw on the Ford Interceptor and Lincoln MKR concepts, both of which were rear-wheel-drive.

Oh well....I figured this was going to happen. So I guess their will be a police package Taurus? I thought the Panthers were going out of production after '09..

...and the more pressing question, will these FWD police cars come with the oversized panties the officers who drive them will need?!?

No big surprise. I saw the writing on the wall when the 2010 Taurus appeared at NAIAS with design cues inspired by the Interceptor Concept. I seriously doubted that Ford would use these cues on their large FWD car and then recycle them for a large RWD car in the future. This news is particularly sad for Lincoln because I don't really see that brand moving into top tier luxury status on FWD platforms, no matter how well FoMoCo executes or differientiates the products.

Oh well....I figured this was going to happen. So I guess their will be a police package Taurus? I thought the Panthers were going out of production after '09..

So we will see the Taurus just like in ROBOCOP!!! :neenerneener:

I have the strongest feeling that Ford's GlobalRwd design is 90+% ready, including LHD

what's not ready are the factories & suppliers

&

that's where the economy and Ford's budget have caused-&-hit respectively a Temporary Snag.

also-imho, one can't just look at current vehicles and their future versions to justify development expenses...

...need to include new white-space vehicles & future-markets that can benefit from the programs.

last, this reminds of how I felt in the months leading up to the UAW negotiations -- didn't really expect to hear the Real Story from anyone representing the company

So between GM's recent announcements of Zeta and this from Ford, Chrysler will really and truly be the most unique American auto manufacturer.

So between GM's recent announcements of Zeta and this from Ford, Chrysler will really and truly be the most unique American auto manufacturer.

Too bad the media, legislators and analysts are working overtime to convince the public that Chrysler is Chapter 7.

Too bad the media, legislators and analysts are working overtime to convince the public that Chrysler is Chapter 7.

If their upcoming products are as good as the concepts look (like the 200C) then I have confidence that Chrysler shall overcome.

there is no point to a rwd ford when you have say, an AWD 350hp, twin turbo SHO. there is no money for that right now. maybe as a future lincoln, sure.

now, will the SHO meet 100% the performance level of say, a G8 GXP? maybe not. maybe 90% of it. but which one will sell more?

RWD only cars are almost dead. AWD will be the price of entry for cars above 32-33k soon. I even say this about the hyundai genesis. they will need to add AWD. chrysler already has it.

Edited by regfootball

Well, if someone can invent fuel that is cheap and easy to get, then you can see your precious tuna boats back in style. [Doubt that, US buyers want SUV's that get 30-40 MPG before any 70's flashback tanks] Maybe power from garbage?

oh, and the LX cars did nothing to help Chrysler. And their problems are not 'made up by media' at all. The unsold LX cars are not 'made up', either. The 300 went from hero to zero in 5 years. With Fiat maybe buying them, they certainly won't be 'American'.

Edited by Chicagoland

LX cars went from zero to hero in 3 years.

I'd still take one, but I don't the think public en masse seems tuned into these types of rides anymore.

The 300 sales began declining a couple years ago but the Charger was doing well right until gas hit $4 and the market collapsed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room