What to choose instead of a G8 ST? The Torrent GXP, of course

Remember when the Pontiac G8 ST had just been announced for production and General Motors had not yet chosen a name for its new not-a-camino? A contest was held, a winner was chosen and the Poncho sport truck got the ST suffix officially added to its base G8-derived name. Joseph Warren, the winner of the naming contest, was granted a G8 ST as his prize for picking the right (and seemingly rather obvious) name, but since that particular piece of sport-truckery has now officially been scrapped, he had to pick something else. His choice? A fresh new Pontiac Torrent GXP. Really, we're not making that up. His only direction was that it had to be priced equal to or less than what the ST would have sold for. He could be parking a desirable G8 GT in his driveway, but perhaps the Torrent's CUV bodystyle is a better fit for Mr. Warren's life. Your mileage may vary.

Source: Autoblog

lmao What a dumbass! I'd take the G8 GT or something. The Torrent? What a joke.

Maybe his wife convinced him to get a CUV to haul their 2.5 brats around. Most married men I know are unable to choose a car for themselves, their wives keep them on a very short leash.

Wow.... lame, how the hell do you NOT choose

the G8-GT in this scenario... Stupifying. :blink:

Maybe his wife convinced him to get a CUV to haul their 2.5 brats around. Most married men I know are unable to choose a car for themselves, their wives keep them on a very short leash.

Like the Metalica song goes: Sad but true.

My wife on the other hand, will be getting

a NEW-TO-HER BMW station wagon soon,

as she's decided the TWO-door hardtop

Mercedes Benz 500SEC I bought for her is

a little shy on space, & egress for a huge

baby-seat...

She rattled off a bunch of cars that she

thought might work well for her and that

she'd like to drive and I pretty much said

"tell ya what, 3rd time's a charm, let's

get you another German car, this time I'll

find oyu EXACTLY what you want, a BMW

station wagon"

----

----

Sometimes I wish things had worked out better w/ me and fiancee #2...we were so compatible as far as cars and money. She bought the cars she wanted with her money (Jeep Wrangler, BMW 328Ci, both manuals), I bought the cars I wanted w/ my money. We had stable careers w/ six figure incomes. Basically, our views were that her money was hers, mine was mine, and if ever bought a house, that would have been a common thing that would have been jointly funded (we owned our own condos). And like me, she loved dogs, travel, cars and had no interest in having kids. Alas, it was not to be.

A BMW wagon, eh? A buddy of mine bought a clean used '07 5-series AWD wagon recently, he and his wife now have two AWD wagons (that and an '04 Volvo XC70), 2 dogs, no kids..

Edited by moltar

My wife on the other hand, will be getting

a NEW-TO-HER BMW station wagon soon,

as she's decided the TWO-door hardtop

Mercedes Benz 500SEC I bought for her is

a little shy on space, & egress for a huge

baby-seat...

She rattled off a bunch of cars that she

thought might work well for her and that

she'd like to drive and I pretty much said

"tell ya what, 3rd time's a charm, let's

get you another German car, this time I'll

find oyu EXACTLY what you want, a BMW

station wagon"

----

DO you let her pick the car out or just buy it hoping she'll warm up to it? Just curious.

So let me get this straight...GM has a "Name the G8 ST" contest, and the winner submitted "G8 ST"? And then picks a Torrent? W-O-W what a dumbass.

It's so ridiculous it becomes funny... couldn't they have given him a G8? At least t would be related to the car he named....

Edited by ZL-1

GM marketing blows it again.

They should have forced the G8 DT on the idiot and given him no choice. Or let him choose from the other 3 cars they plan to keep.

It is bad enough he picked the Torrent but to pick a car they ar dumping soon.

It is bad enough for the press on the ST going away but to now do this on top of that.

That is as bad as calling a Cadillac concept a WTF. Oh well I guess it just not a good year to be a GM and Cleveland Browns fan. Err not a good decade is more like it.

Edited by hyperv6

it's called 'paying for sex'.

if you don't get the wife her car of choice you get no sex (this does not apply in my household fortunately)

if you don't get the sex from your wife you have to get it either from yourself (only so much before that gets old) or from another woman. the second option there actually costs you too, in the form of a nasty costly divorce and alimony.

as with most anything in life, it comes back to money, food, shelter, and sex.

GM marketing blows it again.

They should have forced the G8 DT on the idiot and given him no choice. Or let him choose from the other 3 cars they plan to keep.

It is bad enough he picked the Torrent but to pick a car they ar dumping soon.

It is bad enough for the press on the ST going away but to now do this on top of that.

That is as bad as calling a Cadillac concept a WTF. Oh well I guess it just not a good year to be a GM and Cleveland Browns fan. Err not a good decade is more like it.

Amen!

Everybody has different needs, different wants. Personally, I don't see what it matters. How many people get to pick out a car for free, much less whatever they want from the lot? I know that if my needs outweighed my wants, I'd make a practical decision as well. To each their own folks, to each their own.

Yeah but the thing is, how is the G8 not more practical? Better seating, better interior, better looks, better handling, big trunk, and decent on gas.

Well, in my experience, we had to choose between a '05 Caravan, SUVs (in fairness, we also looked at many different model SUV's, particularly bigger ones like the Trailblzr), and sedans. The massive convenience of Stow-n-go, underfloor storage, full length roof rack and other additional family conveniences of the van made it a clear winner. My wife drove GMs new vans for customer pickup and delivery at the service center, so she had enough experience in the van to know that it, unfortunately, was just not good enough.

Long story short, one major decision breaker for all sedans was the fact that the rear seats would be filled with baby-car seats, etc. There wasn't much room left in the trunk after the stroller. Entry and egress for kids was difficult in our other car when it came to lifting and lowering into a car seat in a sedan, so that was difficult on my wife. The van had seating for an additional 5 people with the seats installed. An SUV was hardly any better than a sedan for room, so for our travel needs, the van clearly won. Maybe this gentleman was looking at things like this... maybe he's a dolt... who knows, right?

Well, in my experience, we had to choose between a '05 Caravan, SUVs (in fairness, we also looked at many different model SUV's, particularly bigger ones like the Trailblzr), and sedans. The massive convenience of Stow-n-go, underfloor storage, full length roof rack and other additional family conveniences of the van made it a clear winner. My wife drove GMs new vans for customer pickup and delivery at the service center, so she had enough experience in the van to know that it, unfortunately, was just not good enough.

Long story short, one major decision breaker for all sedans was the fact that the rear seats would be filled with baby-car seats, etc. There wasn't much room left in the trunk after the stroller. Entry and egress for kids was difficult in our other car when it came to lifting and lowering into a car seat in a sedan, so that was difficult on my wife. The van had seating for an additional 5 people with the seats installed. An SUV was hardly any better than a sedan for room, so for our travel needs, the van clearly won. Maybe this gentleman was looking at things like this... maybe he's a dolt... who knows, right?

in my mind, baby gear is the definite factor in whether a sedan or suv doesn't cut the mustard.

usually the stroller and pack and play is the make or break items. those two things alone will kill a mid size sedan trunk or crossover cargo area.

for a lot of folks too, bicycles.

the g8's trunk to me looks sizable enough for most folks with 1 to 2 kids, as long as the stroller isn't around. the g8's trunk has large dimensions but isn't very high and the cargo area is not extended much by folding the rear seat. overall though the g8 is one of the better hauling sedans.

my 500 was pretty much the most useful sedan available. huge trunk. you could get baby gear in there and have room for groceries. you could pack for a weekend with the fam and even fit the bicycle and scooter in there. the front and rear seats fold too and really make for a useful ride.

there's not many more sedans that have that kind of functionality.

Honestly not a lot of crossovers or SUV's do either.

the aztek can haul pretty much anything a van will, except it does not have the length or third row in the cargo area. the seats fold and tumble and pull out. the tek would easily swallow the stroller and pack and play and tons of other bags and coolers and you still wouldn't block the rear window.

i laugh at things like the cx-9. put anyone in the third row, and you have no trunk space. what's the point? Get a van......if cargo is a big factor. the taurus x we did not think we would have a need for lots of huge cargo, but to be honest its not near as useful as the aztek is. although the x's flip fold seats in the third row rock.

from what i recall, the equinox has a good sized cargo hold if the second row is moved up far and it doesn't have the space robbing wheel arches with the slots for the tray. the xl7 is a 3 row equinox. truth is, for a three row i don't think its all that useful. but just as a 2 row, its not bad. the xl7 ranks as the vehicle i test drove that i absolutely wanted to get out of right away. i thought it was a terrible. strange, considering how much i liked the vue.

now the gxp torrent might drive a lot better than that xl7. i sure hope it does. and honestly i thought the g8 gt was a nice car. the v6 version did not impress me.

the redndezvoux was probably the best packaged crossover pre lambda that GM had. lots of room in the cargo hold. not a huge hulking vehicle. a way better packaging solution than the equinox, etc.

Edited by regfootball