A warm loaf

ocnblu

Well, I'd been thinking of it for a while, so today I went to Target (french pronunciation) and bought myself a breadmaker. It seemed simple enough, I thought. Then I unpacked it. The instruction manual is like an inch thick. What have I gotten myself in to? Does anyone else have a breadmaker? If so, how's it been to own?

Well, I'd been thinking of it for a while, so today I went to Target (french pronunciation) and bought myself a breadmaker. It seemed simple enough, I thought. Then I unpacked it. The instruction manual is like an inch thick. What have I gotten myself in to? Does anyone else have a breadmaker? If so, how's it been to own?

Seriously I thought my Baba was the only person to pronounce it "Tarjay" but regardless we've never had a breadmaker before, too complicated.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I assumed this was a poop thread. I was disappointed.

But I wish I had a breadmaker, the smell of fresh baked bread is awesome. My parents had one when I was a kid, no clue what they did with it. The huge owner's manual probably has a bunch of recipes for different types of bread, that would explain the thickness. The act of breadmaking isn't that complicated, something like mix stuff, let stuff rise, put stuff in machine, cook stuff.

Oh Satty, you make me lol.

Anyway, Ocn it's not that hard. The manual wil give you a bunch of recipes for making various types of bread. It's basically a matter of putting the ingredients in the bread maker and let it do the rest. Cleaning it can be a PITA but not terrible. Just make sure you get bread machine flower.

...now you have me wanting to find the parts to hours and making some bread.

I know nothing about bread machines but just out of curiosity, why bother? Why not just learn to make it? Not that I can do it yet. I've tried a few things and to be honest the results were less than wonderful but each time I learn something new. Eventually I hope I can make bread like my mom used to. It's actually kind of fun.

My friend Erin has a bread maker. She hasn't bought bread in years because of it. She makes the most incredible garlic knots you've ever had, and her Italian bread is superb.

Well, bread in the store is expensive these days. The machine was $100, so if everything turns out the way I hope, I'll be able to save money pretty soon. I gave it a test run last night, to burn off the manufacturing oils. Since the water has to be at an exact temperature for the yeast to work correctly, I guess I need to buy a thermometer to make sure everything's right before I try to pinch off my first real warm loaf.

When I turned the thing on, my kittycat was sitting there staring at it like "WTF???":blink:

We had a bread maker...We used to make a lot of bread with it.

Then it broke.

We had it fixed.

Then it broke again.

Then I think we lost it or got rid of it or something.

I don't remember how it worked though.

We just buy our bread now.

I think my parents have one.. They are not big bread eaters, I believe it was a gift that they used for about a year before the novelty wore off. They used to be fairly expensive ($300+) compared to what they go for now. I remember enjoying the bread from it but it sure was noisy at certain times in the baking process.

I think my parents have one.. They are not big bread eaters, I believe it was a gift that they used for about a year before the novelty wore off. They used to be fairly expensive ($300+) compared to what they go for now. I remember enjoying the bread from it but it sure was noisy at certain times in the baking process.

Probably while the paddle was spinning to stir the ingredients.

Well, it turned out delicious, but it didn't rise as much as I anticipated. It's only like 3 1/2 inches high. It's all bagged up so I can use it for lunch sandwiches this week. There's really nothing like warm, fresh, homemade bread.