Satty

Car & Driver hybrid comparison

10 posts in this topic

Linkypoo

4th Chevrolet Malibu

3rd Nissan Altima

2nd Toyota Camry

1st Ford Fusion

They gushed over the Fusion, their only complaint was the CVT on the highway, a problem fixed by activating the cruise control, which leads me to ask, why were they driving on the highway without using cruise? They saw a combined 34mpg, which isn't bad considering my 4cyl/manual Fusion got 28 consistently.

The Malibu saw under 30mpg, and they were nicer than I would have been, 'cause the Malibu Hybrid is half-assed, a worthless entry.

Bravo Ford!

One thing I don't get is this discrepancy between the Malibu and Camry's interior. Sometimes the Malibu's is high quality VS the Camry being cheap, this time it's the other way around.

Bravo Ford!

One thing I don't get is this discrepancy between the Malibu and Camry's interior. Sometimes the Malibu's is high quality VS the Camry being cheap, this time it's the other way around.

That's the joy of "subjective" items being used to judge cars... 'Journalists' can pretty much pull anything out of their ass and justify why YOU shouldn't buy the car based on their OPINION.

I wouldn't say the Malibu's materials are better than the Camry's. The design may be, but the materials certainly are not, and when you're in a car more than five minutes the quality of the materials makes itself known.

And I wonder if the Altima is going to suffer the same fate the Accord did. Sacrificing mpgs in favor of acceleration times didn't work too well for Honda.

Let us be honest GM fans, GM's BAS hybrid is a joke compared to the hybrids of Ford and Toyota. Malibu Hybrid deserved the fourth place.

It seems like Ford is going to overtake GM in powertrain wars. Ecoboost, and Hybrid powertrains from Ford seem to be becoming one of the best in the business so far. Once DI kicks in for FoMoCo, others will play catching up.

GM probably shouldn't have promoted the BAS system as a "hybrid" system, since it is only a mild hybrid system. If the next gen BAS system meets what we've been hearing about, it may be a worthwhile product in its own right. (The current system was worthwhile on the Vue [but iffy on the Aura/'Bu] when gas was higher, but right now probably isn't worthwhile). Still, the BAS system will always get killed when compared to full hybrid systems. It's like comparing regular tomatoes to cherry tomatoes in a size contest.

Ford is showing that it's really stepping up its game.

And while the Fusion may not be the first hybrid midsizer, it's now the best. That's how you play the game, by not half assing it.

All this from a MCE too, not even an all new model.

Bravo Ford!

I noticed that, too. The swipe at the interior seems like a cheap shot:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...comparison_test

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid - Comparison Test

Highs: Stylish sheetmetal, nicely shaped front buckets, fold-forward rear seat expands cargo space.

Lows: Weak on mpg, uninvolving hybrid machinery, droning engine sound, dollar-store plastic interior.

The Verdict: With this halfhearted hybrid, GM lays down another bunt.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...u_hybrid_review

Although the new Malibu is still built on the same platform as the previous version, the body and the interior are completely new. The exterior styling is modern, distinctive, and more stylish than anything else in a Chevy showroom. The interior design is similarly well executed-a flowing instrument panel features gauges and controls that are easy to decipher and use. Most interior plastics have a rich graining and are soft to the touch.

The Malibu hybrid gets the great looks, refined dynamics, and handsome interior of the standard Malibu, and it offers excellent fuel economy for a family sedan. [/b]

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...nce+page-2.html

Inside, the coved dash-think 1959 Chevrolet-gives two scoops of brick red in an otherwise charcoal field, a color scheme that carries over to the doors and seats. This is specific to the LTZ; the lesser models we’ve seen are monochrome. The materials are mostly hard to the touch, but shines, sheens, and graining are agreeable. There’s enough bright trim to carry off the suggestion of first-class accommodations. Again, expectations exceeded.

Finally, GM has taken the small things seriously. The bin atop the dash has a crisp latch and a solid-feeling lid. The drop-down glove box is smoothly molded plastic with an exceptionally rigid feel. The central console is nicely made of slide-together cubbies and cup holders. Remove them to gain a big space if that’s your pleasure. A plastic tambour-style door slides out of the tunnel should you want to cover your cup holders. It seems unnecessary, but it’s a nice touch.

CSABA CSERE

The 2004 Malibu’s mechanical bits were wrapped in a boring package, and they never received their final engineering polish. This ’08 version addresses both concerns with elegant sheetmetal, a graceful interior, and the detail development needed to compete in this tough sedan class.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...est+page-6.html

All the voters loved the elegant cockpit, especially the delicate spear of brushed aluminum that shoots across the dash to blend into the front doors. The headliner looked as if it might have been swiped from a Maybach. And the front seats were all-day comfortable, with long, supportive cushions.

Even after 600 miles, it still shocked us to be driving a four-cylinder GM product with such terrific engine isolation. In this group, the Chevy was quietest at full throttle, a statement we can’t ever recall making. The sound deadening didn’t stop there, either. Wind roar, road noise, tire slap, mechanical thrashiness-all have been filtered to superbly low levels.

So, they went from 'parts swiped from a Maybach' to 'dollar-store' in a year?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...est+page-4.html

Highs: A highly polished hybrid act, top-quality interior, exceptional seat comfort front and back.

Lows: If you expect verve with your mpg.

The Verdict: Refined and sophisticated, a Lexus without the silk-stocking

2008 Toyota Camry LE - Comparison Test

Highs: Eerily quiet, Lexus-like switchgear, limousine ride.

2007 Toyota Camry LE - Comparison Test

Highs: A smooth engine, scads of storage cubbies, a well-utilized interior.

Lows: Languid handling, a few loose trim bits, the curse of blandness.

The Verdict: Still the crown prince of mainstream.

Toyota sedans have never throbbed with driving passion, but at least they could boast of unimpeachable quality. This Camry was impeachable. A few trim pieces hung loose. Some dash panels didn't match up. The rear-seat armrest cup holder fell out with only the slightest persuasion, leaving behind a ragged hole in the fabric. If fit and finish ceases to be Toyota's obsession, what will define the company's products? We shudder to imagine.

It's possible that Toyota may have improved the quality of the Camry's interior since '07 - stranger things have happened. But I seriously doubt the Malibu's interior or NVH has gotten worse. I'm not saying the Malibu's mild hybrid should have finished higher than fourth, but some of the comments reek of piling on and old-think.

EDIT- Oh, and a high-five to Ford for the Fusion. Looks like they might have world beater on their hands.

-RBB

Edited by RBB

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0