Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I <3 Craigslist

I really do. Such good deals. Like this chair I got.

For some time no my office chair has been broken...the seat wobbles and it feels like the mounting bracket is pushing through the cushion and against me. The other day I figured I'd look into what the problem was. Turns out the plarticlboard that the bottom of the seat is made of fractured, and the bracket really was pushing into the bottom cushion. As it also turns out the actual bracket has fractured. So the seat's junk and becoming more uncomfortable each day. I really noticed it a couple days ago when I spent almost all day working on the computer.

Now, when I bought it I bought a warranty for it that covers basically anything that happens to it. I've already replaced it once last year, because the wheel broke off (damn plastic). This year however I discovered that the print on the receipt and slip had faded completely off. I called Staples customer service and they were very nice about it, but told me because the slips were useless they could only send me a gift card for what I paid for when I bought it. This would be fine, but I got it on sale. This was all before Christmas.

I decided that I would put the money towards a nicer chair. The one I had was fine, but there's a really nice black leather with red stitching aluminum framed chair I want. However I have other more pressing things to pay for, so I want a temp chair to last me until I buy the new one.

Enter Craigslist. Found one for $15 about a half hour from where I live. The couple were very polite and showed me it. All that was wrong was a couple small rips in one of the armrests and it doesn't turn on it's base very well. Sold!

It's quite comfortable with nice thick padding and I like that the armrests aren't hard plastic. For $15 I can't go wrong.

3nd3md3p411312214c91i9341f9c702751d.jpg

Now if only the damn cats wouldn't claw it up. <_<

Considering what I have done to my own chair, I would worry about buying used chairs...

Hah I know what you mean. I have a nasty habit of sitting in them by just "plopping" onto the chair. Takes a toll. However chair's are pretty easy to look over and tell if they are in bad shape or not, unlike a car.

Its not set up, but I have all the fixins for a darkroom.

Cool, traditional photography is becoming a lost art as we move to digital. Don't get me wrong, developing your own film can be a PITA, but it was rewarding when took a class for it.

Oh and the developing paper is friggin' expensive.

The paper, the chemicals, its all expensive. But B&W photography is fantastic. I wish I still had a decent camera. My sister borrowed mine and I haven't seen it since.

I agree, B&W traditional photography is unbeatable for clarity and detail.

I have my grandfather's Minolta SRT-100, which has a few diffferent lenses that came with it. It's a nice camera that takes good photos. They aren't that pricey on ebay either.

Got any cyanide? truly-evil-grin.gif

As for office chairs, when the top breaks on mine I like to mount a car seat on them. When my current one wears out, I want to find a captain's chair:

IMG_0221.jpg

I was just thinking the 2nd Row Captains Chair from a 2001-05 Venture would be perfect. Esp in that gray cloth like the two ones we had it'd be pretty nice.

1873505704.jpg

Got any cyanide? truly-evil-grin.gif

As for office chairs, when the top breaks on mine I like to mount a car seat on them. When my current one wears out, I want to find a captain's chair:

IMG_0221.jpg

You know, I was just thinking today that the Prizm's old cloth front seat would make for a good chair if I made a bracket for it. The problem is that both the seat bottom and mounting bracket broke. :P

Do yo uhave a photo of under the chair? I'd like to see how you mounted it.

It's 3/16" sheets of aluminum I dug out of the scrap bin at the local metal shop and had them trim to size. You can use a sheet of plywood but it won't last as long. The bolts to hold it down are 7/16" on the rolling part of the chair and 1/2" on the car seat.

100_0484.jpg

Yeah plywood=suck. Cool, that's how I figured I'd build mine. Now I know I want to. :D

Just need to find some metal...

Nothing wrong with thick-enough plywood- will outlast the cushioning on any chair. It's particleboard that does not (obviously) belong in any type of stressed furniture production- complete garbage.

I had to refabricate the plywood of the seat bottoms on my '40 Ford- 5/8" pressure-treated. They sit on a steel perimeter frame, so they won't go anywhere- but they'll last 100 years, IMO.

Hey DF- gee; I wonder where your first chair was made ?

Never bought anything off craigslist. I did just pick up a 1870-1890 6' tall drill press for free, commonly referred to by modern amateur machinists as a camelback. Not sure what I'm going to do with it just yet. Also just bought a set of 4 steel HD casters for $10. Wheels are about 6" in dia.

You guys have heard (read) all my craigslist stories already...

I've bought and sold many a vehicle on Craigs. :)

I've bought a couple neat non-automotive antiques off craigslist over the years. I'm beginning the process now of going through all my junk and can hopefully dump it all on craigslist and make a couple bucks.