If I were to build a Computer

looks that way.

i've been my-own-pc-less for almost a month... waiting on an RMA for my x3 720... :( should have inquired about it after my dual channel stopped working after 1-2 days. rare, rare problems. took that long to narrow it down.

Wow, that's weird! I've rarely heard of problems with the CPU's themselves. Hope it sorts itself out. :(

Wow, that's weird! I've rarely heard of problems with the CPU's themselves. Hope it sorts itself out. :(

yeah. CPU problems should be nearly instant.. (1 day?) or never (many year) happen under normal circumstances. a friend works as an I.S. tech in a hospital. says he sees maybe 1 out of a hundred pc's die for that reason.

I should be able to send mine off in the next few days, don't know how long a replacement takes though.

Well count yourself lucky it's not a Motherboard and an Asus. You'd get it back after about three upgrade cycles. :P

eh, maybe.... but i did RMA mine - over to indiana, got it back in a week, guessing nothing was wrong, since it was so fast.

I've seen the face of God, and it is the MSI 790FX-GD70. I also got the PSU too, and snagged me a 4870 locally for cheap, so now all I need is a case, a couple sticks of RAM and a WD Raptor and I'll be getting set on fire by DF in Team Fortress 2 in no time! 8)

Edited by Captainbooyah

I've seen the face of God, and it is the MSI 790FX-GD70. I also got the PSU too, and snagged me a 4870 locally for cheap, so now all I need is a case, a couple sticks of RAM and a WD Raptor and I'll be getting set on fire by DF in Team Fortress 2 in no time! 8)

evidently the face of god will become obsolete, by...april or may...? "890FX" should be out.

why a raptor?

send me a message what your name is for TF2. when i get my new cpu back (from RMA) i'll add you.

• Agree 1

evidently the face of god will become obsolete, by...april or may...? "890FX" should be out.

why a raptor?

send me a message what your name is for TF2. when i get my new cpu back (from RMA) i'll add you.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about 890FX. Now you've made me sad :P.

SSD prices are through the roof still, so I figure I'd grab a Raptor on sale or for cheap and use that until I find a good SSD for a good price. Then, the Raptor can just be for page file use, or storage. There's a dude on a hardware site who's hocking his, but so far no takers, so I'm hoping he lowers the price, and then I'll jump in.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about 890FX. Now you've made me sad :P.

SSD prices are through the roof still, so I figure I'd grab a Raptor on sale or for cheap and use that until I find a good SSD for a good price. Then, the Raptor can just be for page file use, or storage. There's a dude on a hardware site who's hocking his, but so far no takers, so I'm hoping he lowers the price, and then I'll jump in.

ah ok. i wasn't thinking you'd try to go ssd because of your budget. you just looking at a raptor for access speeds? would 1Tb stripped drives for $100 not be just as good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

though i have heard that windows doesn't like amd's raid controller for booting....?

just an option, don't know what you're looking to spend/"complexity".

edit: the .ca link has it for $80 apiece. damn.

Edited by loki

My concern with RAID is the added complexity, and the overall finickyness. I have considered 'short-stroking' a regular 7200RPM drive, so that might be a possibility.

never heard of that. but might have been doing it without knowing. well... good luck getting the raptor. ;) even if it's just a sticker, i heard that improves performance. :D

My concern with RAID is the added complexity, and the overall finickyness. I have considered 'short-stroking' a regular 7200RPM drive, so that might be a possibility.

RAID isn't too bad, just get a good controller. I've been real happy with the Dell server level stuff. If your going for pure speed with a RAID 0, you are always running the risk of data loss, as drives fail too often. I usually will do a RAID 10 (1+0) or 50 (5+0), but then you are adding a lot of drives.

My laptop just arrived in Alaska the day before it left. :P

ANCHORAGE, AK, US 12/05/2009 6:09 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

SHANGHAI, CN 12/06/2009 4:14 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

SHANGHAI, CN 12/03/2009 10:00 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

SHANGHAI, CN 12/02/2009 10:29 P.M. HUB SCAN

CN 12/02/2009 1:06 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

A shipping route that has broken the time/space continuum? Who's shipping that for you? I'm using them next time. :P

I bagged me a 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD for 109.99 which is pretty damn swell, so that'll easily tide me over until some price drops come in the new year. :)

I bagged me a 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD for 109.99 which is pretty damn swell, so that'll easily tide me over until some price drops come in the new year. :)

nice.

just the OS and games on that one i guess? ssd's are no place for music and movie storage. :)

nice.

just the OS and games on that one i guess? ssd's are no place for music and movie storage. :)

Absolutely! I have my music and files on a network drive, this is primarily for gaming. Hello 15 second boot-ups! 8)

Wowee, now I've scored a 160 dollar case for 90 locally! This Phenom II system with an SSD is going to end up being substanially cheaper than that old Athlon X2 5200+ system from two years ago. :P

Edit: Here's the Raptor I'm talking about:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/26046-raptor-150-fs.html

I'm a bit on edge as to whether or not to grab it. It's 85 bucks, and would store games, with the SSD as an OS drive. Any experiences?

Here's another possibility:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10kRPM-VELOCIRAPTOR-WD1600HLFS-160GB-WD-160HLFS-160_W0QQitemZ280424858563QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item414a9fc3c3#ht_4949wt_1082

I wish Capriceman were around. He knows his stuff. 8)

Edited by Captainbooyah

Absolutely! I have my music and files on a network drive, this is primarily for gaming. Hello 15 second boot-ups! 8)

Wowee, now I've scored a 160 dollar case for 90 locally! This Phenom II system with an SSD is going to end up being substanially cheaper than that old Athlon X2 5200+ system from two years ago. :P

I'm a bit on edge as to whether or not to grab it. It's 85 bucks, and would store games, with the SSD as an OS drive. Any experiences?

http://cgi.ebay.com/10kRPM-VELOCIRAPTOR-WD1600HLFS-160GB-WD-160HLFS-160_W0QQitemZ280424858563QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item414a9fc3c3#ht_4949wt_1082

i have no experience with ssd's or raptors

He must be busy I guess..

LOL!!! And I thought MY board was overkill. What cards would even be compatible in that setup?!

Well, at least it isn't too much of a change from my 790FX version :P. It's actually very similar save for the USB 3.0 and SATA-6. Even the phase design is the same, so that likely means I'm in good shape; I was worried that I might have some issues with only 'five' phases to the CPU in regards to overclocking.

Some good news is that I spied in the family email inbox that my brothers purchased me an SSD for Christmas. So now I have two. Lucky me. :P

Nice rig so far looking good Mr. Captain.

I miss him too.

I got me a Dell Precision M6400 workstation laptop with Quad Core 2.53 Processor 8gb DDR3 1333 Mhz Ram and Dual 250 GB drives in a no RAID configuration. That machine is a beast.

I got me a Dell Precision M6400 workstation laptop with Quad Core 2.53 Processor 8gb DDR3 1333 Mhz Ram and Dual 250 GB drives in a no RAID configuration. That machine is a beast.

What's the battery life on that monster? :P

It'd probably even give the thing I'm building a run for its money lol.

What's the battery life on that monster? :P

It'd probably even give the thing I'm building a run for its money lol.

Surprisingly 3 hours. Once while doing Civil 3D with full rendering mode it gave me a life of 75 minutes. Not bad for a 17" UXGA LED beast.

Oh forgot it has 1GB FX3700 Video Card.

oh just incase some one is interested i have some ram i wouldn't mind unloading. ocz3rpr13334gk

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_pc3_10666_reaper_hpc

sticking with my g.skill mem. and this requires higher V to work at the same speed as my g.skill.

like to get $70 for it.... still have the clamshell and paper for it too.

Aw man, if those were posted just a couple days ago, I would've snagged them. :(

Oh well, I got a set of 1333 G.Skill Ripjaws at 7-7-7-21 timings that run at 1.5v/1.65'ish.

damn, sorry.

my g.skill have been doing great at 7-7-7-20 at auto V... only one incident of oddity. today i was just messing around on FB and then decided my monitor should shut off and my mouse... power light was still on. i just reset it and is still working. eh?

So far, so good it seems. My CPU is idling at 32 degrees with an aftermarket cooler, which I'm not sure is that good, though. I'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

after a little combat arms...free fps, my cpu was at 34 with the stock cooler, in an antec 300 case with fans in the front. sometimes it gets down to 29, i think. give it a week of cycling for the paste to set in.

while typing this, it's fallen to 31, i don't have the fan on full, asus qfan "performance", can't hear it over the other fans, hs/f is spinning ~2200rpm

Well, I ran Prime 95 and stressed the CPU at stock speed for a few hours, and it didn't even break 40 Celsius, so things should be ok. I also moved the 4870 down a slot, and that has cooled things down a little.

i forgot what gpu you had... was the 4890 to much more to justify it?