Crappy weather part deux

Satty

Well we finally got our yearly ice storm. So far its only about a quarter of an inch, but still, bad things happen. I was going to get something out of the back of my car and slipped on the ice, hit my back, kinda hurt but not too bad. The drive home was interesting, the LeSabre did better than most other cars on the road, mostly because I'm a better driver than most others. A guy in an F-350 flew by me on the highway (I was going about 30, he had to have been doing 60) then noticed traffic was at a standstill in front of him and slid off the road. There was a FWD Regal in front of me that also noticed too late that traffic up ahead was stopped, so he slammed on his brakes, swerved onto the shoulder, slid for a bit, slowed to a near stop, then jerked back onto the road in the lane. It was a very graceful move. A short while after that I was still behind the Regal in stopped traffic and my front end started sliding a bit, seems like RWD+rear drums+ice isn't totally awesome. Slipping it into neutral rectified that problem. Should get worse tonight (YAY!) then be back in the 50's this weekend. You know what they say about the Ozarks, if you dont like the weather, go f@#k yourself.

We have a winter storm watch in effect over the next few days here... perhaps as much as 8 inches, but then it is supposed to rebound into the upper 30's late in the week. They've been wrong so often this winter, the warnings are starting to fall on deaf ears.

We've gotten a little over an inch of ice here. I had to slide downhill on my feet to my truck, then it took 3 people to get it out of the parking lot. Now its stuck in the street in front of the house. Bald 20's+no traction control+ice+pegleg rear axle=I'm screwed!! LOL I have to go to work today no matter what, should be fun.

We got our ice storm a few weeks ago then it got really cold. Salt doesnt work too well when it is below zero. It did at leat get warm enough to get the driveway cleared though. Now it is just cold. About 5 above zero though the cold doesnt bother me too much. I was forced to drive though that ice storm a few weeks ago and the Impala did just fine. People just need to learn to slow down. I was doing about 40-45 on a 65 mile an hour highway. Made it safe though. I dont even think there were any power outages in that mess though our infostructure is made for the most part to deal with this type of thing. Good luck to all of you riding out the ice storm.

Uggg, it just keeps coming. Its turned to snow, so that made it easier to drive. I still cant get my car up the driveway.

Oh, and the Dodge Ram seems to be this ice storms victim of choice. There were like 7 of them between the house and the hospital (surprisingly the ER was pretty empty, took no time to get that wrist taken care of), the only other cars I saw having trouble were a Focus spinning wildly in a gas station parking lot and a 4th gen Camaro (purple, why did they sell the Camaro in that color? Why did that color even exist in the first place?) that the jackass driver tried pulling up into a parking lot whose entrance was blocked by a large pile of snow.

Edited by Satty

We've had light snow today, but all day. They salted the roads so that the snow would melt, but unfortunately the water is ice still in some spots.

Supposed to be sleet/freezing rain into tomorrow morning. I'm hoping the train's still running, because I absolutely don't want to drive tomorrow morning.

And my wife and I are supposed to be traveling to the VA mountains tomorrow evening for a job fair... :(

I hate this weather so much. Along with Michigan.

Normal drive to work: 40 minutes

Today's drive to work: 120 minutes

Salt trucks being effective: 0

Snow plows being effective: 0

696 was a nightmare today it added 1 1/2 hours to my commute! was an hour late to my new job and i have only worked here for about 3 weeks hopefully no one noticed.

Talked w/ my brother in E. Ohio this morning...my Mom was without power 11 hrs yesterday. On her birthday. At least the gas furnace still worked. I wish she would get out of that hell and move to AZ or back to Florida. Sounds like the weather in the Midwest and NE is horrible right now.

I'm incapable of wearing gloves. In fact, I dont own a pair. So going outside when its 7F and the wind is blowing to scrape the ice off my car just killed my hands. I've had the skin break in 3 different places on my right hand and 2 on my left. The woman at Wal-Mart probably thought I have a severe masturbation habit when I came through with just a giant bottle of lotion.

Well see, I have something called common sense...a magical and apparently rare attribute that aloows me to determine the best course of action.

For example:

Problem: It's motherf@#king cold out.

Solution: I shall wear a pair of gloves so the blood in my figures does not crystallize.

Amazingly I've been able to pass the judgment for years.

:P