Montreal Autoshow: Nissan Cube

!!!TED!!!

Here are some pictures I took of the 2010 Nissan Cube at the Montreal International Autoshow in Quebec, Canada on Tuesday January 20th.

This is one very silly little car. Interior has terrible plastics (and ergonomics) and has very little legroom for front passengers. It looks like a retarded clown car from the outside.

The hinge for the rear door has to have a bubble in the bodywork to fit.

This should appeal only to those hardcore JDM fans.

VIDEO:

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

If the 1st gen xB is any guide, they'll sell every one.

Glad the above posters aren't involved with Det3 product planning (actually, maybe you are <_< <_< )

This, the Kia Soul & Hinda Insight only serve as painful reminders of the lack of vision or balls at our beloved General.

Glad the above posters aren't involved with Det3 product planning (actually, maybe you are <_< <_< )

This, the Kia Soul & Hinda Insight only serve as painful reminders of the lack of vision or balls at our beloved General.

They did have vision. It was called the Aztek. It was just as ugly and it failed. Just like I hope this visionary ugly thing will fail.

Excuse me?

I actually like the previous Cube. It's design worked and was coherent. This one completely lost it in the details. They attempted to keep the same boxy shape, but round it off. That does not work. It's not attractive. The Kia Soul, original xB, and the previous Cube are fine designs for what they are. This, is simply a poor design. You can not say otherwise.

Excuse me?

I actually like the previous Cube. It's design worked and was coherent. This one completely lost it in the details. They attempted to keep the same boxy shape, but round it off. That does not work. It's not attractive. The Kia Soul, original xB, and the previous Cube are fine designs for what they are. This, is simply a poor design. You can not say otherwise.

My sentiments exactly.

Excuse me?

I stand by my statement:

They'll sell (at or near MSRP)....whether you like them or approve of the design is immaterial. I personally don't, but the important things are sales and intro'ing consumers to your brand early. They are distinct, each have unique selling points and they are 'statement' cars for under $19k.

You know what guys? More follower crap ain't going to cut it. And, newsflash---nobody's designing cars specifically for you.

GM wouldn't like to be moving Aveos at sticker? Or Cobalts? Or Astras? Maybe a stand-out vehicle in that class might do it, huh?

Stuck in a sorry, futureless past, GM continues its downward spiral with fanboys cheering all the way.

And that's the problem, guys.

They did have vision. It was called the Aztek. It was just as ugly and it failed. Just like I hope this visionary ugly thing will fail.

The Aztek!.....that was good for a belly laugh this morning.

The Aztek was merely EVERYTHING wrong with GM's creative teams at the time of development.

The Cube will do just fine, regardless of your hopes.

This isn't exactly groundbreaking..besides the asymmetrical windows this box on wheels design has already been done.

Also, I'm pretty sure neither BV or myself would consider ourselves "fanboys". We're critics of design...especially BAD design.

As well, you are taking what we have said out of context...read both of our posts. No where did mention how we thought it would sell. We criticized it from a design standpoint and nothing more. I for one, do not appreciate it when people try to make assumptions and twist what I have said into something it is not.

This isn't exactly groundbreaking..besides the asymmetrical windows this box on wheels design has already been done.

Also, I'm pretty sure neither BV or myself would consider ourselves "fanboys". We're critics of design...especially BAD design.

As well, you are taking what we have said out of context...read both of our posts. No where did mention how we thought it would sell. We criticized it from a design standpoint and nothing more. I for one, do not appreciate it when people try to make assumptions and twist what I have said into something it is not.

Sorry.

I stand corrected. Both of your critiques are just misinformed, then.

This is an anti-design type of design, not a Ferrari.

Here's a vehicle that shows its maker is trying---it's not looking for elevation into the Louvre.

(and, BTW, there are other people on this thread, so not every part of my post was directed at you or BV...perhaps a little less sensitivity is in order, huh? This site has become almost as humorless as it is dull.)

Edited by enzl

with an aztek in my garage, let me be the first to say i would never come close to driving and owning this nissan cube piece of &#036;h&#33;.

if the cube does well as enzl purports, it about a rampart part of society being idiots rather than it being a good transportation choice.

if the cube had a chevy badge on it, the press would be lambasting it. at least the kia soul looks halfways decent, only in comparison.

i would hope that people would be wise enough not to buy this cube piece of crap and at least check out the transit connect or even the honda element as a much wiser way to spend money. you can even buy a nice short wheelbase kia sorento for the price of this these days.

Edited by regfootball

This new Cube is the result of a combination of meeting new crash standards and how to make the "iconic" shape new yet familiar...while running out of ideas beyond "lets round everything off, then finish it off with the latest Japanese trend of bulging headlights."

It may sell well, it may not...this market is very tough since the "trendy" crowd (and old people) decided what is cool and what is not.

All I'm saying is purely from a design standpoint this is a step backwards from the last gen...and I for one would rather have the Soul.

Everyone on this thread except for Dodgefan and enzl seem to have a closed-minded approach to this vehicle. True dodgefan, i would perfer a soul. Anyways, ted and i were the only ones out of all of you to see this up close and personal. it is a different vehicle. nissan is moving in a good direction by introducing this to north america, because it is the right car for the times. it is fuel-efficient, inexpensive, and very space efficnient. as for you reg with your ignorant comments, nissan is moving in the right direction with the versa and the cube. the versa came out with a 1.6 value model starting at 12k canadian. trust me, and they are selling, and the cube will too. and guys, dont compare the aztek to vehicles like this. the aztek was a huge family wagon, these are econo-boxes from asia. just admit it fanboys, GM just never got around to making anything like this, and they should.

I fail to see how a polarized opinion on a subjective matter such as styling can legitimately be derided as 'close-mindedness', an over-used term. I cannot recall anyone here ever being similarly labeled for drooling over -say- a ferrari's styling. Blanket admiration is no virtue, as far as I can see.

>>"GM just never got around to making anything like this"<<

2008chevyHHR-SSblogAmeeReehal2008-1.jpg

What- the cube is 19 inches shorter, at a miniscule 157" ?? Who NEEDS a 157" vehicle maximum ? IMO- that's immaterial.

In the realm of a low-cost, economic, stylistically-unique, cargo-centric lil' hauler, GM does indeed 'make something like the cube'. Only there, it's not accompanied by dry heaving sounds.

I fail to see how a polarized opinion on a subjective matter such as styling can legitimately be derided as 'close-mindedness', an over-used term. I cannot recall anyone here ever being similarly labeled for drooling over -say- a ferrari's styling. Blanket admiration is no virtue, as far as I can see.

>>"GM just never got around to making anything like this"<<

2008chevyHHR-SSblogAmeeReehal2008-1.jpg

What- the cube is 19 inches shorter, at a miniscule 157" ?? Who NEEDS a 157" vehicle maximum ? IMO- that's immaterial.

In the realm of a low-cost, economic, stylistically-unique, cargo-centric lil' hauler, GM does indeed 'make something like the cube'. Only there, it's not accompanied by dry heaving sounds.

Only problem with the HHR really is that it's not in the same size class...so in that respect GM doesn't offer something like the Cube (unless you count the terrible Aveo). That said I would go bigger and have the HHR. That photo you posted is very nice...looks great in SS form.

Hmm, it's just not square enough for my taste. Sorry, it needs to have corners so sharp you can impale yourself. Kinda like the shape of a car made from Legos. Yeah, that's my style.

Cupholder on the left? I don't think the majority of drivers out there will be able to figure out such a dramatic shift in their ability to do anything when the cup is in another hand.

I really don't see size class as being terribly pertinent. Sure- if we were talking about a 210" sedan that could be unyieldy in a garage or thru narrow streets/tight parking; that's one thing. But at this diminuative size level, separating every 13" in overall length into yet another 'class' is merely marketing to limit competitors. In other words, unlike the 210" sedan, are there actually true 'livability' size constraints on 176" vs. 157" ?? Who looks at something as small as an HHR and says 'that won't work for me- too large.' I just can't fathom it. So to blindly trudge along with manufacturer and/or governmental-dictated 'classes' and not look beyond those, only limits the consumer's choice. Call it 'close-minded' and not be far off. Or hopefully, does no one shop for a vehicle this way ?

I really don't see size class as being terribly pertinent. Sure- if we were talking about a 210" sedan that could be unyieldy in a garage or thru narrow streets/tight parking; that's one thing. But at this diminuative size level, separating every 13" in overall length into yet another 'class' is merely marketing to limit competitors. In other words, unlike the 210" sedan, are there actually true 'livability' size constraints on 176" vs. 157" ?? Who looks at something as small as an HHR and says 'that won't work for me- too large.' I just can't fathom it. So to blindly trudge along with manufacturer and/or governmental-dictated 'classes' and not look beyond those, only limits the consumer's choice. Call it 'close-minded' and not be far off. Or hopefully, does no one shop for a vehicle this way ?

Apparently, size doesn't even matter when it should! As an example, when my friend and his wife were shopping for a new car (mostly for her because he already had a Grand Cherokee), she just 'had to have' the new PT Cruiser (introductory year), as it was the flavour of the month/year for consumers. She wasn't taking in what made it work, the ergonomics, or even if the seats were comfortable enough to support her bad back and hips (previously broken pelvis leads her to near-constant pains). Anyway, anything that a car buyer should look at, she could change every negative into a positive to go along with just how much she loved the strongest reason she wanted one, how it looked on the outside. She put everything in her life to form-fit the car, which is odd for those needing a car to fit the majority of their needs when it comes to car seats, pets, groceries, traveling, etc. Nope, it had to be the PT or nothing else.

Now they have two kids and the main mode of transportation for the family is their Montana SV6. Who drives the PT? He does, to commute to work, and he is trying to sell it.

So no, sadly, not everyone looks at what would seem to be important for the best car buying decision. For vehicles like this Nissan, it's general transportation with style. The fact that it might have some extra cargo space or additional passenger room would really only be looked at by those stuck on what they can afford and need all the space they can get for the money. Even then, IMHO, for a vehicle like this, styling would be a determining factor.

Edited by ShadowDog

For those of you who think GM couldn't possibly come up with something so cool:

0612mt_01_z%201990_chevrolet_astro_van%2

The GM vans are some of the most popular American vehicles in Japan. The original Cube and Scion toaster car are obviously attempts at adapting GM genius to Japanese needs. Now they have come full circle.

I stand by my statement:

They'll sell (at or near MSRP)....whether you like them or approve of the design is immaterial. I personally don't, but the important things are sales and intro'ing consumers to your brand early. They are distinct, each have unique selling points and they are 'statement' cars for under $19k.

You know what guys? More follower crap ain't going to cut it. And, newsflash---nobody's designing cars specifically for you.

GM wouldn't like to be moving Aveos at sticker? Or Cobalts? Or Astras? Maybe a stand-out vehicle in that class might do it, huh?

Stuck in a sorry, futureless past, GM continues its downward spiral with fanboys cheering all the way.

And that's the problem, guys.

All I spoke of were my thoughts on the design. I said nothing about how it would sell or whether or not Nissan made a good move by introducing it. You put me into a group saying "the above posters" and commented how you were glad we weren't a part of the domestic automaker's product planning. Myself, for simply suggesting I wasn't a fan of the the styling. I don't enjoy being spoken to as if my opinion does not matter, especially when you're clearly putting me into a group of which I do not belong in.

(and, BTW, there are other people on this thread, so not every part of my post was directed at you or BV...perhaps a little less sensitivity is in order, huh? This site has become almost as humorless as it is dull.)

I simply didn't appreciate your comments and assumptions. Regardless of your banter not being specifically directed towards myself, it was directed at a group of people that you placed myself into. I certainly am not the problem here, nor am I overly sensitive. Instead of throwing people into your group of misconceived assumptions, make your point and be done with it. If you feel the need to make this place not as humorless, go ahead and use humor. It's quite simple and doesn't require too much thought. :P

Personally, I actually sort of like the vehicles that occupy this certain sort of size class that you would describe being a 'statement' car. As I mentioned, I like the original Scion xB, as well as the the JDM Cube that precedes this one. My only qualms were the design and my distaste for it.

How that leads into me being placed into a group solely based on your quizzical assumptions, I haven't the slightest clue. I suppose I need to be less of a general Design Critic, and more of GM-Specific Design Critic. :lol:

Everyone on this thread except for Dodgefan and enzl seem to have a closed-minded approach to this vehicle. True dodgefan, i would perfer a soul. Anyways, ted and i were the only ones out of all of you to see this up close and personal. it is a different vehicle. nissan is moving in a good direction by introducing this to north america, because it is the right car for the times. it is fuel-efficient, inexpensive, and very space efficnient. as for you reg with your ignorant comments, nissan is moving in the right direction with the versa and the cube. the versa came out with a 1.6 value model starting at 12k canadian. trust me, and they are selling, and the cube will too. and guys, dont compare the aztek to vehicles like this. the aztek was a huge family wagon, these are econo-boxes from asia. just admit it fanboys, GM just never got around to making anything like this, and they should.

kia soul is much nicer. this thing is a pile. steaming even.

Only problem with the HHR really is that it's not in the same size class...so in that respect GM doesn't offer something like the Cube (unless you count the terrible Aveo). That said I would go bigger and have the HHR. That photo you posted is very nice...looks great in SS form.

...and the HHR SS sells at $24k+? (and looks much better than the base models)

The Cube is a $16k vehicle that makes a statement...which is rare, even if you don't like what its' design 'says'.

I kind of like the design aspect...it is funky and fun. It will probably sell just fine for the gotta have it crowd out there, just like the original xB did, just like the Honda Element did...they sell to the fringe guys and gals that want something different on the road. This is a cheap, funky little car that will be easy to accessorize at the dealer (just like the xB) and people like that. Kudo's for Nissan to bring something out that is edgy and different (albeit in a market that is already fully accepting of the xB).

GM does NOT offer anything like this, nor do they offer the funki-fied gadgets and doo-dads to be slapped on them like the Japanese counterparts do. If they made an Aveo-BOX, then they would have something to compete. The HHR is in a class way above these Japanese Sushi-boxes on wheels.

With all of that said: I would not be caught dead in ANY of the above mentioned 'cars' because I don't think any of them will be able to stand up to the woman on her cell phone that just ran that stop sign in her H2 and flattened the little things like a pancake.

I do wish GM would offer something like these types of cars - the Nomad concept of years past built on the Kappa platform comes to mind, or the Beat, Groove and Trax concepts that were so exciting a few years ago.

All I spoke of were my thoughts on the design. I said nothing about how it would sell or whether or not Nissan made a good move by introducing it. You put me into a group saying "the above posters" and commented how you were glad we weren't a part of the domestic automaker's product planning. Myself, for simply suggesting I wasn't a fan of the the styling. I don't enjoy being spoken to as if my opinion does not matter, especially when you're clearly putting me into a group of which I do not belong in.

I simply didn't appreciate your comments and assumptions. Regardless of your banter not being specifically directed towards myself, it was directed at a group of people that you placed myself into. I certainly am not the problem here, nor am I overly sensitive. Instead of throwing people into your group of misconceived assumptions, make your point and be done with it. If you feel the need to make this place not as humorless, go ahead and use humor. It's quite simple and doesn't require too much thought. :P

Personally, I actually sort of like the vehicles that occupy this certain sort of size class that you would describe being a 'statement' car. As I mentioned, I like the original Scion xB, as well as the the JDM Cube that precedes this one. My only qualms were the design and my distaste for it.

How that leads into me being placed into a group solely based on your quizzical assumptions, I haven't the slightest clue. I suppose I need to be less of a general Design Critic, and more of GM-Specific Design Critic. :lol:

It's an anonymous post on a GM-specific board, not a violation of somebody's civil right, sheesh.

In any case, I thought the critiques silly because the vehicle is supposed to be polarizing---most people are supposed to dislike it---that's the idea!

My comments were a general statement, not a personal attack, but take it as you like. I assumed nothing about anyone here, other than the fact that the place has become a vast wasteland of boredom, which, even with as much as you post, is merely only somewhat your fault specifically. : )

It's an anonymous post on a GM-specific board, not a violation of somebody's civil right, sheesh.

In any case, I thought the critiques silly because the vehicle is supposed to be polarizing---most people are supposed to dislike it---that's the idea!

My comments were a general statement, not a personal attack, but take it as you like. I assumed nothing about anyone here, other than the fact that the place has become a vast wasteland of boredom, which, even with as much as you post, is merely only somewhat your fault specifically. : )

Understandable.

As I mentioned, I just didn't appreciate the way it was presented, I felt like I shouldn't have been included, especially after your explaination. I didn't take it as a personal attack, merely felt compelled to state my views in more detail and bring some things to light. I've generally been in agreement with your posts in the past. I was taken aback, unexpectedly. :P