Bravada?

I'm really tired of not having a vehicle and driving the CRV (gag) on weekends.

I want something cheap, and even though I'm not an SUV kinda guy, I need one for working on apartments. The CRV has served remarkably well in that role.

I want something cheap because I don't want to spend much money before leaving for Germany (which seems to be eternally delayed).

What about a final model Bravada? Anyone have any info on them?

I don't think they're any better or worse than any of the other GMT360s, mechanically speaking. Not sure if they had AutoTrac AWD or if they had 4x4 like the others. Just make sure any example you look at has all the recall-related work done to it. There were a lot of recalls pertaining to the GMT360s early on.

I think they're probably pretty hard to find. Might as well get a TB/Envoy because you'll be able to find better deals on them I would assume.

I've found a few already. I was looking at the Bravada over the TB/Envoy because it is more likely to have luxury features which I'll admit I'm a whore for. Additionally, it would likely have taken the biggest depreciation hit for 1. Being an Oldsmobile. 2. Being an orphan.

I think all Bravadas came with AWD Smartrak

The '02-'04 GMT-360 Bravadas had both a 2WD model and an AWD model, which was a departure from the previous generation that was marketed heavily as having AWD standard. Those that had AWD had the full-time systems with no selector switch, the same strategy employed by the Buick Rainier when that came online on '04 as the Bravada died. Chevy (minus the SS) and GMC 4WDS had the selector switch for the 2WD or part or full-time 4WD modes.

Bravadas, like the Rainier and Saab 9-7, had the air-ride rear suspension, while it was optional on Envoys and not available on TrailBlazers.

My brother just went through a similar set of questions once he realized his Infiniti was not a good winter car (!) and he decided to add something else to his fleet that would provide other practical uses (towing, etc.). He liked the looks of the Bravadas over most of the GMT-360 siblings, plus the fact that they are unique, but ultimately, as NORTHSTAR notes (and I pushed for), he settled on a TrailBlazer due to the fact that they are available everywhere and are priced right. He ended up finding a very good deal on a nice '05 GM Certified-Used TB with nearly 2 years left on the powertrain warranty.

These trucks really seemed to be hit or miss in terms of reliability, especially early on ('02 had numerous recalls and updates, as mentioned above) and for me anyway, I would trust the later ones saw improvements in those areas, which is another reason I felt better about my brother going with the '05 dealer TB for not much more than what private sellers were asking for '03 Bravadas and Envoys with no warranty. (for what it's worth, my parents had an '02 TB and an '04 Rainier that they had ZERO issues with during their lease lives).

Sorry for the wordy post, hope it helps!

+1 I think they are the best of the GMT-360s in terms of interior and exterior quality as well as handling.

+2

I'd stay away from the Bravada. Those were POS from day 1, and it took GM several model years to iron everything out. And they debuted as 2002s, with the final year being, what, 2004? No dice, get a 9-7X if you really want a GMT-360.

Personally, I'd get an Explorer/Mountaineer of the same vintage--heads and shoulders above the GM offerings.

+2

I'd stay away from the Bravada. Those were POS from day 1, and it took GM several model years to iron everything out. And they debuted as 2002s, with the final year being, what, 2004? No dice, get a 9-7X if you really want a GMT-360.

Personally, I'd get an Explorer/Mountaineer of the same vintage--heads and shoulders above the GM offerings.

We're talking 5k or 6k a most here. I'm not going to get a 9-7x for that.

Isn't the Atlas 6 more powerful than even the V8s in the Explorer/Mountaineer?

Wow, edmunds sucks ass. Not only does it not show the specs for the V8 engines for either teh Olds or teh Ford, but I can't find a comparison chart for used vehicles. If there is one, it's poorly located and not at all easy to find.

ANYWAY. I would serious check out with the Explorer. You may (or may not) consider a Grand Cherokee of that vintage. I'm sure moltar could give you plenty of info and thoughts of his experience with his. My boss has one (to complement her Z3) and lovea everything about her V8 powered one besides the fuel economy...Of course, she said this when gas was $4, and I'm pretty sure that statement would have applied to any V8 SUV.

Wow, edmunds sucks ass. Not only does it not show the specs for the V8 engines for either teh Olds or teh Ford, but I can't find a comparison chart for used vehicles. If there is one, it's poorly located and not at all easy to find.

ANYWAY. I would serious check out with the Explorer. You may (or may not) consider a Grand Cherokee of that vintage. I'm sure moltar could give you plenty of info and thoughts of his experience with his. My boss has one (to complement her Z3) and lovea everything about her V8 powered one besides the fuel economy...Of course, she said this when gas was $4, and I'm pretty sure that statement would have applied to any V8 SUV.

I did a quick local search and both models can be had for around 6k full loaded.

I do know that the Bravada only ever had the I6.

I think I'm fairly settled on the Bravada, I was mostly asking if there were any big things I should watch out for. It looks like their reliability got really good in the '04 model year.

Oh yeah, as for comparing car specs... you can't beat Carpoint.com with a stick.

I had a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD with the Atlas I-6 and the only warranty work done on the engine was the replacement of a faulty idler pulley. It spent most of it's time in 2HI and gave me 16 MPG (averaged city/hwy). I loved the Atlas I-6 and felt it was plenty powerful when I drove it, whether it was loaded or not. A friend of mine purchased a 2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD a week after I got the Envoy and he had no problems with it for the two & a half years he owned it (he traded it in for a new Enclave due to the amount of miles he was putting on it). I think as long as you stay with a 2004 Bravada you should be good; 2WD or AWD is up to you (2WD will be better in MPG and less costly on maintenance). Good luck with your hunt!!

I have no idea. I've rented the EXT TrailBlazer and the Explorer to do the same things: move myself across the country for over 3000+ miles. Not only was the Explorer a more enjoyable vehicle, but it had far and away more practical room for hauling. The TB felt like a POS, and the Explorer felt nice. Ford put more thought into the day-to-day convenience needs in the Explorer than GM did with the 360s. Granted, the Bravada is not a TB, but those SUVs all had a lot of quality issues for the first several model years, and overall I find their design utterly lacking.

I know you want to buy GM, and I cannot argue with that, but don't punish yourself either. Test drive one of each, and pick which one feels best.

Definately AWD. It's almost a requirement here. I did ok in the CTS with snow tires, but I'm trying to make the most minimal investment I can.

I'll drive them all, I LOVE test driving cars. About the convenience stuff....this is just a get-me-to-Lowes-and-back vehicle. I only need to drive 2 or 3 days a week. I take public transit for the rest.

One question, in the GMT-360s do the rear seats fold nearly flat or roll up or get removed?

Definately AWD. It's almost a requirement here. I did ok in the CTS with snow tires, but I'm trying to make the most minimal investment I can.

I'll drive them all, I LOVE test driving cars. About the convenience stuff....this is just a get-me-to-Lowes-and-back vehicle. I only need to drive 2 or 3 days a week. I take public transit for the rest.

One question, in the GMT-360s do the rear seats fold nearly flat or roll up or get removed?

They fold nearly flat, they're the type that you have to flip the hinged seat bottoms forward, then lower the seat backs.

FWIW, I think the 2002-05 Explorers even with their IRS ride like $h! compared to the 360s, and have a cramped driver's area with an odd seat/wheel/pedal relationship to boot. But that's just me, I never agreed with the view that they were a better choice than the 360s for any reason, excepting nicer interior materials on the later ones. That lump of a 4.0 V6 doesn't hold a candle to the I6, and I trust the durability of the GM driveline over that of the Explorer.

They fold nearly flat...but nearly is the operative. The Explorer actually folds flat. The Explorer also has a wide, more usable liftgate opening, and wheel well intrusion is less than the TB.