I Sought Out The Curse

Cory Wolfe

My apparent stupidity has taken the life of one unsuspecting Jetta.

I was on my way to work this morning and I ended up totaling my car. I wasn't rushing or in a hurry, I was on time. The roads weren't any worse than what has been regular this winter, from my perspective. I drive this same road every day on my way to work. I left around 8:40 am. I came upon this one sharp curve and I oddly misjudged it for the conditions and traveled around it a bit too fast, causing my front tires to slide. By then, I noticed a snow plow coming the opposite direction as I exited the turn, but I kept sliding towards the center of the road. There wasn't anywhere for him to go and I was stuck sliding and slid right into his rear wheels after barely nicking the cab. The hit flung my rear around while it basically stopped the snow plow right in his tracks. This was at about 8:45 am. I looked around and stared at my air bags for a bit, realizing they give off nasty gases that weren't very pleasant to breath in. I heard him talking on his radio to get help until to called over to see if I was okay. After another minute of looking around and actually making sure if I was okay or not, I began to try to get out. My door was basically inoperable with the A-pillar hitting part of the truck and peeling it and the door frame back like a sardine can. After noticing that, I hopped over to the passenger side and exited using that door. Circling around, I see that I definitely totaled it with pretty bad frame damage being visible. I mean, half my front is demolished, so I knew there was no doubt about it.

Afterwords, I called my dad, called into work, and then waited around staring at the Jetta while I froze my ass off as everyone arrived. Once my dad got there, I sat in his truck to get warm for a bit until the Police came. Soon enough, a state trooper arrived and I talked to him and told him the story. I finished going through all the motions and grabbed what I could find out my car. I had my dad take me to work. I finally arrived at 10 am, an hour late.

I suppose the good news is that I'm not hurt. I just feel a little sore. Otherwise, I walked away pretty much unscathed. One really freaky, coincidental thing that happened with all of this was the fact that my Pharmacist told me I could be an hour late if I didn't want to come in as early. As mentioned, I ended up being exactly an hour late. This, besides the fact that I felt like I expected this to happen. Not in a "I woke up and felt like I would wreck today", but as it was happening and right after, I didn't feel surprised. I'm not sure how exactly to describe it, it was just an odd feeling that I had.

At the moment, I'm not sure what my plan is from here on out. I only had comprehensive coverage on the Jetta. I'll probably have to look into parting it out or something to get atleast something back from it. I'm not sure what kind of loan I could possibly get right now, either. It's not exactly a high time to apply for a loan and I don't have much of a credit history. I currently don't have the money to invest into either the Millenia or the Cutlass right now. Both of which are far from being driveable. I'm sure there isn't going to be a problem with me driving my brother's truck for a little bit to figure things out, however. We'll see, I guess.

Anyways, here are the only three pictures I have at the moment.

ahhjettagobyebye1.jpg

ahhjettagobyebye2.jpg

ahhjettagobyebye3.jpg

Bleh...

Thanks, guys.

And I know what it's like to have just liability after totaling a car too; putting it bluntly, it's a real headache.

Indeed.

That sucks dude. You might want to consider a Subaru Impreza or AUDI for the next ride for the AWD.

True. Although, I'm not sure how much it would have helped in that situation. I was just going too fast for the conditions.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt, did you have your seatbelt on?

Yeah, I always wear mine, unlike my most of my family.

Edited by blackviper8891

I'm happy to hear you are unharmed.

Why did I think your Jetta was green?

Either way i took quite a hit.

Thank God your VW has framed doors! :rolleyes:

My 500SEC would not have trapped me. :wink:

Yeah, I always wear mine, unlike my most of my family.

Good Job. :thumbsup:

I'm sure glad I had my seatbelt on when

I was hit head on in my Datsun by a

Red-light running BMW, otherwise there

is a good chance my face would have

smashed through my windshield & ended

up as a hood ornament on a 328Xi.

Thanks, guy.

The more it sets it, the more I realize what all I've lost. I had more invested in this car than anything else. Most of my money went towards the purchase, maintenance, and accessories of this car. The first thing I bought for myself besides this car was my camera. Everything else was related to this car in some way. I don't know what to do right now.

Parting out your totaled VW is the only way you'll

get a good chunk of your inve$tment back... I'm

assuming you didn't have full coverage, huh? :(

Well, the main thing is that you were able to get out of the car safely. It did its job for you and took the loss. Of course you now have to figure things out, but at least recovery from injuries aren't on the list.

True. It absorbed the crunch well. It didn't feel nearly as bad as it looks, not that I have a great memory of the actual impact. I mostly just remember right before where I was heading directly for the plow truck and right after when I was staring at the gases escaping from my airbags.

WOW BV, Sorry to hear you were in an accident. like everyone else, very glad you did not get hurt, the auto did it's job and protected you.

Now you can help our economy recover and buy an american Auto. Good Luck BV.

WOW BV, Sorry to hear you were in an accident. like everyone else, very glad you did not get hurt, the auto did it's job and protected you.

Now you can help our economy recover and buy an american Auto. Good Luck BV.

FYI buying used America won't help the economy any more than used foreign.

Also, ask him how teh Cutlass has been doing for him. :P

The Mk IV in many ways was better than the Mk III, but in others, it was worse. I like the Mk III Jetta/Golf. I had a '92 Mk II Golf GL 2 door in light green. I drove the heck out of that thing. It took me to Colorado in early September of '92.

The Mk IV in many ways was better than the Mk III, but in others, it was worse. I like the Mk III Jetta/Golf. I had a '92 Mk II Golf GL 2 door in light green. I drove the heck out of that thing. It took me to Colorado in early September of '92.

I'd like to get another MK3. I'd want a GLX with the VR6 and 5spd this time, though, Golf or Jetta. If I find one for cheap...

Anyways, I finally got a chance to drive out to the garage where they took my Jetta. I was able to get some better pictures.

ahhdeadjetta014.jpg

ahhdeadjetta001.jpg

ahhdeadjetta003.jpg

ahhdeadjetta005.jpg

ahhdeadjetta002.jpg

ahhdeadjetta006.jpg

ahhdeadjetta007.jpg

ahhdeadjetta011.jpg

ahhdeadjetta008.jpg

ahhdeadjetta009.jpg

Get a REAL VolksWagen. The one commissioned by Hitler,

designed by Porsche & embraced by hippies everywhere.

You'll never have to replace a water pump or computer. :)

Edited by Sixty8panther

Holy cow, Cory ... very sorry that happened to you.

VERY glad to read that you are OK. Hope the soreness has gone away. Cars can be replaced; people cannot be.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's such a cold blow from out of the dark" ... Brooks and Dunn ... 'That Ain't No Way To Go'

Thanks, again, guys.

Reliability wasn't a problem with it though, so that's not an issue. A snow plow hitting him was the problem..and I'd have more faith in the Jetta than some tin-can Beetle to survive a crash like that.

I will say the CEL that's promised with every VW purchase had just come on. I'm surprised it took 15k miles for it to finally light up. :P

I do like those, but I'll probably stick with a VW. A GTI with the VR6 is a pretty spirited ride and they could be optioned out almost like an Audi. Parts will be more plentiful and cheaper, as well.

Like I've said for years: Beetle + rollcage = ULTRA SAFE economy car.

As far as safety common sense goes a LONG way. :P

i.e. slow down in winter conditions.