Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

EYE CANDY

ocnblu

I followed a baby blue, circa 1975 LTD up the street this week. Its rear bumper, painted silver, with duct tape covering large rust holes, was mounted a couple inches to the right of normal. Every time it would hit a bump, that big ol' bumper would jiggle like Aretha Franklin's ass cheeks. I was sure it was going to fall off and total my poor little Cobalt with one bounce off the street.

I followed a baby blue, circa 1975 LTD up the street this week. Its rear bumper, painted silver, with duct tape covering large rust holes, was mounted a couple inches to the right of normal. Every time it would hit a bump, that big ol' bumper would jiggle like Aretha Franklin's ass cheeks. I was sure it was going to fall off and total my poor little Cobalt with one bounce off the street.

Heh-heh...my brother had a couple mid '70s ('73, 74) LTDs back in the '80s, both had serious rust issues...on both, you could open the trunk and see ground...was open between the frame rails..he made a trunk floor out of plywood...had the rear bumpers wired on. One he paid $50 for and drove for a couple of winters...the radiator fell out and he ran over it, and what eventually killed the car was when the rear axle fell off while driving...had like 350k miles. I still give him a hard time for his 'white trash' affectation during those years (and this is a well educated guy, Ohio State grad, but a perpetual f*ck up and the black sheep of my family).

Back on point, I haven't anything really memorable this first week of February.

Saw a Nissan 370Z on 95 heading to DC today. Looks like a pufferfish from the front. Not too bad though.

Also saw a Quattroporte with black wheels on a tow truck.

Not quite of note, but every time I've gone by a car wash, it has been PACKED. Everyone's getting the salt off their cars, it seems.

Yeah, it's cold.

Not here.

Today, on the freeway next to me, en route to the rail station:

Last version (2005?2006?) Pontiac GTO - black exterior, red interior, black dash with red instrument cluster bezels. This is indeed a good looking car...had it only been silver...

Saw a '39 Plymouth two-door sedan today, mildly rodded and covered in salt! Unbelievable; could be the owner's only car right now maybe?

Wild...can't imagine having a 70yr old car as your only car...brave man. Having an 8 yr old car w/ 95k makes me nervous.

Saw a pretty nice late 70's Z28 on the road today, silver with the red/orange/lighter orange side decals

About 2 years ago I saw a guy in a tiny river-side town with a stock, worn, baby$h!brown '40 Willys coupe as a daily driver. As a DD, the age didn't bother me, but the rarity, desirability and value of it as is, did.

That's crazy. Did you attempt to buy it?

>>"That's crazy. Did you attempt to buy it?"<<

Couldn't- it was rollin' one way & I was rolling another.

Saw one of those FWD-proportion ferrari 360s drive by as I was workiong off the tailgate of my truck today. As it droned off into the distance, the audio impression was none other than one of those commercial leaf blowers on wheels - I thought these things were supposed to produce some sort of mechanical symphomy ... BFunimpressiveD.

I remember standing in the garage of a house I was working in a few years back, with a couple of Italian immigrant painters. The ex-husband comes out of the house and climbs into his ferrari 355 spyder, starts it (rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat) & drives off. The one painter asks me to affirm I am in love with it, to which I reply 'its sounds like an old Plymouth starting up'. Mystically, he made as if personally insulted at that.

Perhaps it's not enough of a sampling to go by, but these 2 up-close exposures failed completely to cement the supposed religious experience I hear so many pre-teens say I should be having in the presense of a ferrari.

Went down a different street on the way downtown to work this AM...saw a small used car lot with a clean black '79-80 Pinto and a white AMC Eagle wagon. Turned the corner, and saw the greenhouse of a white early '50s stepdown Hudson in a fenced in lot behind a body shop..

A black G8 GT with red stripes.

The new, as in the one just being shown at auto shows, E-class in silver with the badges covered and Michigan mfg. plates.

A black STS-V with the European clear lights in the rear and black wheels.

A late-model F-series towing a Model A sedan on an open car trailer this morning on my way to work.

Speaking of Model As, there is a two-tone green 5-window coupe parked in fenced in lot downtown w/ a For Sale sign that I see everyday on the way home.

caddycruiser, get out of town! Need a daddy? :)

White '64 Studebaker 4 door in great shape with baby moons & beauty rings and fat tires. A black '63 Comet sedan in worn, stock condition, both truckin' around Lancaster.

caddycruiser, get out of town! Need a daddy? :)

Sure, we can work something out;)

In review, the number of cars I've had in 6 months is a little odd, but I'm finally thrilled...whoa, just whoa. I'll have to tell more sometime.

This one was a bit out of left field, but what fun, and believe it or not, financially "happy" fun.

Hot new red G3 at "my" former BPG dealership, parked in a prominent position out front!:o

After speaking with the very informed dealer I bought my G8 from in Jersey, who had actually just come back from a G3 "event" where dealer staff from the area competed in reference to the car (and he ended up winning basketball tickets because he used to sell Chevy's...and "could run circles around them, when it comes to this car"), they're actually happy to see it come. None of us like it and it's badge engineering at its worst, but from a dealer perspective, they just want products for the brands they have that they can sell, and in the experience here, the Aveo was a "great little car that all my customers who had one loved it". They get it, in the "huh?!" way, but you sell what you can sell.

I've seen a couple listed...I'm, uh, anxious to see one myself;) As I cruise by in my big scary brother of a G8, hah.

To stop hijacking & get back on track...parked next to a new White Diamond Tri-Coat '09 Denali the other day. It was the local dealer owner's girlfriend's latest demo (it seriously took her 3 tries to figure out how to turn into a large parking spot...), and the "Cadillac" color looks great on them too. Now they're just even more Escalade-like, with the color that used to be exclusive--but it looks great.

Edited by caddycruiser

Saw a 1957 Ford Custom 500 four door Ranch Wagon on a flatbed on my way to work yesterday morning in white/aqua/rust, hopefully heading to a new home for restoration. Looked to be in pretty decent shape for 53 years old.

Edited by XP715