CALIFORNIA

If i had Al's money i'd have my own wind/solar farm just so i could laugh at the electric companies and all my friends when their power goes out but my mansion is still lit up.

... but then again... i dont want a mansion... too big and i don't wanna pay people to have to clean and take care of it.

I'll just have 10 acres and a ranch house with a wind and solar farm on it. Oh and a golden retriever named Arfy to guard it, cause golden retrievers are the bestest guard dogs EVER! :D

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i had Al's money i'd have my own wind/solar farm just so i could laugh at the electric companies and all my friends when their power goes out but my mansion is still lit up.

... but then again... i dont want a mansion... too big and i don't wanna pay people to have to clean and take care of it.

I'll just have 10 acres and a ranch house with a wind and solar farm on it. Oh and a golden retriever named Arfy to guard it, cause golden retrievers are the bestest guard dogs EVER! :D

I've thought the wind/solar farm idea could work on my parents' property in Ohio. 150 acres of land, partially forested, w/ a couple lakes. Has it's own natural gas well, so Mom doesn't have to pay for heating in the brutal winters (there is a fuel oil backup furnace for if the gas goes out due to frozen lines from the well). If she had her own electricity, that would be cool (there is a large Onan gas generator for backup when the power goes out, as it did last week).

My Mom has 2 German Shepherds and an Australian Cattle Dog for guard dogs (though there is a gate at the end of the driveway, which is almost a mile from the house), though my preference for guard dogs are my 3lb Yorkie puppy (very alert) and my Australian terrier (the 'bitey beast'--sort of a tiny hairy piranha) :)

I love when people who've visited place "a few times" are suddenly students of the entire state. I've lived here 20 years and I can't comment with any certainty on the general majority views of the people outside of my zip code.

I love when people who've visited place "a few times" are suddenly students of the entire state. I've lived here 20 years and I can't comment with any certainty on the general majority views of the people outside of my zip code.

Ya, it's a huge, complex state with a lot of distinct regions and demographics...I've visited many times over the last 15 years... always enjoyed my visits to the Golden State ranging from San Diego--(downtown, old town, Pacific Beach, La Jolla), OC (Aliso Viejo, Irvine, Newport Beach, San Clemente), LA area (LA, Santa Monica, Studio City), and the SF Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Milpitas, Emeryville, Oakland Hills, Napa Valley, Petaluma), and Sacramento... I have a number of friends in the Bay area that I enjoy visiting, and I do regret sometimes that I didn't move to San Jose in 1997..would have been fun to have been there and been part of the dot.com action before the bubble burst (I had 3 job offers there in '97-99). I want to take the time and go explore the national parks. I find California more interesting than probably 75% of the other states in the US.

I've lived in MO long enough to tell you that the people outside of the urban areas are backwoods rednecks not worthy of life.

Aren't the rural folk of a lot of states like that? Other than having family in rural Ohio and having lived there part of my life, I feel like I have nothing in common with the locals back there. Maybe I'm jaded from years of traveling and living in major metro areas (in cities and suburbs), but I feel no connection to the people of small towns or rural areas.

Edited by moltar

I know, right? And then of course it's "but look at what THE MEDIA portrays!!" Yeah...because we know the media isn't all about ratings and sensationalism or anything...

Fresno is the largest city not on an INTERSTATE highway. Although really... come on... the 99 is just the more inland route of I5... i mean it only exists after it breaks off the I5, and then it merges back into the I5. And i must admit, i hate large cities and prefer suburbs so i am biased in that regard.

Sorry, I meant interstate. I'll correct my previous post. That said, while the 99 is the inland bypass of the 5, it is not fully grade-separated, nor is it up to freeway standards throughout its entire length. You can get to Fresno from LA and Bakersfield via the 99 without ever leaving a "freeway" but nowhere else. Every other connection requires leaving a freeway, so Fresno is the largest city in the US not connected to the freeway network.

Edited by Croc

Thank you.

It's not worth replying to people who've already made up their minds on a state or city they don't even reside in. The ridiculousness speaks for itself.

I think she's actually pretty smart...she's just not much of a press person.

hm? as in she lies and then follows through with the lie?

She might be very nice, but her views/what she thinks she knows is so wrong.... unless you just chalk it up to misspeaking...like 99% of the time.

I'll just have 10 acres and a ranch house with a wind and solar farm on it.

Now if everyone had the same motivation as you, that would make me a VERY happy person. It's only a matter of time.

Now if everyone had the same motivation as you, that would make me a VERY happy person. It's only a matter of time.

Yeah but you forgot the qualifier of my statement which was, if i had the money that Al Gore had.

Short of that, I'll just settle for the 10 acres and the ranch house. Maybe get some horses... not that i ride horses, but you gotta have horses if you got that much land. :smilewide:

hm? as in she lies and then follows through with the lie?

She might be very nice, but her views/what she thinks she knows is so wrong.... unless you just chalk it up to misspeaking...like 99% of the time.

As I said, she's a terrible public speaker, especially to the press. She didn't get to where she got by being a dingbat; she's the Speaker of the House, and a woman. And as far as I can tell, the House isn't in anywhere near the level of dysfunction as the Senate is under Reid, so I'm going to wait for her to royally screw up before I get on the I-hate-Pelosi bandwagon. She hasn't offended me yet, and I've seen some good things come from her already.

As I said, she's a terrible public speaker, especially to the press. She didn't get to where she got by being a dingbat; she's the Speaker of the House, and a woman.

Since when did simply being a woman offset being a dingbat?

Pelosi = 20 dingbatness

Speaker of the house = -15 dingbatness

Woman = -5 dingbatness

Total = 0 Dingbatness

Now if she was a man she would be 5 dingbatness.

Aren't the rural folk of a lot of states like that? Other than having family in rural Ohio and having lived there part of my life, I feel like I have nothing in common with the locals back there. Maybe I'm jaded from years of traveling and living in major metro areas (in cities and suburbs), but I feel no connection to the people of small towns or rural areas.

We in Pittsburgh refer to the area between our city and Philly as "Pennsyltucky"

Fine.

How about Pelosi sayin that 500 million Americans lose their jobs each month.

I guess some of us will be losing their jobs 2 times in 1 month. lol

If he says it repeatedly, then yes, she's an idiot. I cannot fault anyone, politician or not, for misspeaking in front of the press every once in a while.

Saying that, this thread is dangerously close to being moved into the politics forum.

If he says it repeatedly, then yes, she's an idiot. I cannot fault anyone, politician or not, for misspeaking in front of the press every once in a while.

Saying that, this thread is dangerously close to being moved into the politics forum.

speaking of. how's that going...i'm just being lazy getting a new paypal account to pay some dues. LOL