The Next Step.

Cory Wolfe

I've stopped by my credit union to see about a loan and a $4-5k loan is within my reach. I.E. it's doable. I just need to fill out the application.

However, I'm still wondering what my best option is right now. While getting the Cutlass up and running isn't as easy as I'd like it to be, it can be done for probably $500 or so. I don't look forward to having to pay for its gas mileage again either, but it is an option to consider. I could also try for another cheap beater or perhaps a lesser loan of $1-2k for something to get me by until I'm finished parting the Jetta out. Finally, I could go for the full $4-5k and find a true replacement, which I will need to do eventually, regardless.

I guess the big question is whether I should take the smalls steps into getting a true replacement or just go for it now since it's feasible. Waiting could possibly fetch something above my current $4-5k comfort zone, as well.

I'm leaning towards just going for it considering my aversion to driving another car that will be a headache. Thoughts?

Anyway, BV you might consider a few things. 4-5k would be able to fix whatever is wrong with the Mazda and then some. You do still like the car right?

Alternatively, you could save $500 on a replacement car so you could fix the Gutlass and have a backup/beater in addition to a nice car.

Part out the red Jetta. Sell the Mazda and the Cutlass (although I think you said it's not yours, so that may not work). But in the meantime, if you feel comfortable, take out that loan and get yourself something (like another Mk III) that will be worry-free. As you bring in money from your Jetta and Mazda (you might even be able to part that one out, too, and make more on it), you can use that money to help pay off your new loan. You need to break away from all these old shackles and move ahead.

Part out the red Jetta. Sell the Mazda and the Cutlass (although I think you said it's not yours, so that may not work). But in the meantime, if you feel comfortable, take out that loan and get yourself something (like another Mk III) that will be worry-free. As you bring in money from your Jetta and Mazda (you might even be able to part that one out, too, and make more on it), you can use that money to help pay off your new loan. You need to break away from all these old shackles and move ahead.

That's pretty much the plan. And yes, the Cutlass isn't mine. :P

I'm looking at this one Jetta I found on Autotrader. It's in Ohio and listed for $4995. The price is a little higher than I would like since it has just a tick under 100k, but it seems to be pretty clean. I'm trying to talk them down a bit. If I can get the price down to $4500, that would be ideal. We shall see. It's a VR6 with the 5spd, basically what I'm looking for in another Jetta.

Autotrader - 1996 Jetta GLX

10307792558.257671792.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A

Edited by blackviper8891

I see you're going down the same road I went down after I totaled my S-10 by looking for pretty much the exact same vehicle with the flaws that you found in the vehicle you wrecked smoothed out and corrected. I don't know about you, BV, but I want to say, from my own experience with dealing with the aftermath of totaling a vehicle, seriously think over exactly what car you want to replace your Jetta with. If another Jetta is what you seriously think you want, then buy it. All I know is that I wish I had thought my purchase out a little more thoroughly. If I knew then what I know now, I can certainly say I would not have purchased my Sonoma, even though it was, at that time, exactly what I wanted.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I see you're going down the same road I went down after I totaled my S-10 by looking for pretty much the exact same vehicle with the flaws that you found in the vehicle you wrecked smoothed out and corrected. I don't know about you, BV, but I want to say, from my own experience with dealing with the aftermath of totaling a vehicle, seriously think over exactly what car you want to replace your Jetta with. If another Jetta is what you seriously think you want, then buy it. All I know is that I wish I had thought my purchase out a little more thoroughly. If I knew then what I know now, I can certainly say I would not have purchased my Sonoma, even though it was, at that time, exactly what I wanted.

I'm entrenched in the VW world of white and blue. That $h! sticks like super glue. It's crazy, let me tell you. :P

Actually, if anything, most of what I would rather have is out of my price range or simply too unrealistic. There are alot of cars I'd love to own more than another MKIII, but they're either too much, their parts are too much, or they might be something that will require more attention than I'm willing to give. I still want to own that '80s Alfa Romeo GTV6... Which isn't going to be a good purchase for me at moment, obviously.

The GTI's do. They also came in 'Skittles' guise, the rare Harlequin edition. *nods*

mike-mk3harlequin-5.jpg

I saw one f those last summer...they were funky and kinda neat.

VW owners a special group of people I think. I remember I drove a VW Bus once and got all kinds of thumbs up from Jetta, Passats and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new consideration.

After doing my taxes, I got back alot more than expected, so I currently have a good $1400 in the bank. Fixing up the Millenia wasn't feasible at first, but it may be a possibility now. This all depends on how expensive of a fix the misfire would be. If that is taken care of, the rest can be done easily enough. As mentioned, beyond the misfire, it needs tires, front brakes, an axle, a strut link, a battery, and most likely fluid changes. I still don't know if it'll really be worth it. However, I did always want to fix it up and this is an opportunity to do so. *shrugs*

I have a new consideration.

After doing my taxes, I got back alot more than expected, so I currently have a good $1400 in the bank. Fixing up the Millenia wasn't feasible at first, but it may be a possibility now. This all depends on how expensive of a fix the misfire would be. If that is taken care of, the rest can be done easily enough. As mentioned, beyond the misfire, it needs tires, front brakes, an axle, a strut link, a battery, and most likely fluid changes. I still don't know if it'll really be worth it. However, I did always want to fix it up and this is an opportunity to do so. *shrugs*

Cory IMO Don't bother with the Milly, it's been sitting soooo long that god knows what else could be wrong now etc...

If I were you just clean-slate it and don't look back.

That's basically what I've been thinking since the start. Figure I'd throw that idea out there, though.

After finding an MK3 that I wanted and seeing it sell because my situation has be waiting... I haven't found any other MK3's that I like as much. It wasn't the black GLX either. Currently looking into a 97 Audi A4 1.8T with a 5spd. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I want right now.