Fully Revealed with Official Photographs

10chevspark_hi_001.jpg

PRESS RELEASE:

Chevrolet Spark: World Premiere at Geneva Auto Show

Fun and fashion add sizzle to mini-car segment

Youthful interior with motorcycle-inspired instrument cluster

Fuel-efficient 1.0-liter and 1.2-liter 4-cylinder DOHC engines

All-new mini-car with maximum attitude

The all-new Chevrolet Spark, making its world premiere at the Geneva auto show in March, is a small car designed to make a big statement. It's big on style, big on fuel economy and, like all products carrying the Chevrolet gold bowtie, big on refinement and value.

Its design breaks the mold for mini-cars and takes Chevrolet's signature styling elements to this vehicle segment in a youthful, fun and fashion-conscious way.

Spark was inspired by the Chevrolet Beat concept, the most popular of a trio of mini-car concepts that has toured international auto shows since 2007. A clear majority among 1.9 million internet voters said it was the car they wanted produced.

Exterior

The crisp lines of the five-door hatchback provide a wedge-like profile. Below Chevrolet's hallmark two-tier grille and headlamps that resemble diamond cut lines, the shape of the fog lamp housings and the "floating" lower air intake extend the sense of forward movement. Strong wheel arches accommodate up to 15-inch wheels to give the car a dynamic, ready-to-go stance.

The rear door handles are integrated into the upper part of the door to preserve the clean lines of rear quarter panel and wheel arches. In the rear, an integrated tailgate spoiler and Chevrolet's round tail lights add to Spark's appeal.

With an overall length of 3,640 mm and a generous 2,375 mm wheelbase, Spark offers a spacious cabin with outstanding leg and hip room in the front and rear.

Interior

The design of Spark's spacious cabin clearly matches its fun and fashion exterior look and functionality. A unique feature is the motorcycle-inspired instrument cluster. Mounted on the steering column, it provides easy- to- read information to the driver utilizing a combination of analog and digital displays.

With fresh colors and fabrics, exterior color schemes continue inside to Chevrolet's signature 'dual cockpit' layout and the door panels. Textured inserts flow from the instrument panel to each side of the cabin into the doors, adding another eye-catching element to the interior.

Spark also boasts a high level of interior acoustic refinements typical of larger vehicles.

Engines and safety

Sales will start in Europe featuring 1.0 and 1.2-liter 16-valve four-cylinder double overhead camshaft gasoline engines, delivering excellent fuel efficiency and low emissions.

Depending on global markets, safety equipment includes driver and passenger front air bags, front side airbags, roof rail head curtain airbags, antilock brakes and electronic stability control. Other safety features include pre-tensioners for front seat belts and three-point belts in the rear. Spark has been developed and is expected to achieve high crash test ratings.

Europe leads start of sales

Spark will be available in European dealerships early 2010, followed by other global regions. Spark is the newest in a series of all-new, globally developed Chevrolet vehicles that are defined by expressive design, refinement and value.

[Source: GM][/font]

10chevspark_hi_003.jpg

10chevspark_hi_002.jpg

Nice!

The only things that bother me are 1) the small wheels and 2) the placement of the side marker light seems like an afterthought.

Agreed. They probably could (should) have integrated it into the top of the headlight housing... seeing as it (the housing) makes it so far up the fender anyway...

It's "cute", so Chicks will buy it = success.

It didn't translate well from 3-door concept to 5-door production. It looks tall and narrow.

95% of todays cars are too tall & narrow!

This is just right.

1961impalahtloweredht7.jpg

Better yet, POntiac WIDETRACK. :)

cc33pontiac1964bonnwthn7.jpg

The dash is nothing new the Fiero had a floating pod dash years ago.

If the car looked plain it would look like every other Asian import from Honda or Toyota.

As for heritage look it has the Malibu grill. As for the old heritage most people under 25 today don't know or care if it has round Chevelle tail lights.

As for skinny.. That is true but you meet the emission, crash and mileage requirements of Washington and keep the weight out while still selling this at a price a collage kid can afford.

This car is not my cup of tea but if it is priced well and screwed together well that is all that counts in this class People dont buy cars like this to be cool or rember the past.

GM did it right by hiding the rear doors but putting them on as most young people today hate two door cars. They think in utility more then style.

GM will do alright with this car if it has at least Malibu quality standards if not better.

The time has come where the goverment is going to make cars like this more the norm so we had better get used to the rolling phone booth like them or not. The 60's ain't coming back even 8 years from now when they [lose their goverment grants] err I mean find they were incorrect on Global warming and the Russians were correct on the global cooling. LOL.

Edited by hyperv6

I can see the dash "pod" is here for a reason. Where TOYota puts the Scion gauges in the middle to make left and right-hand drive cars use the same dashboard, by putting the gauges on a pod that attaches to the steering column, the same dash can be used but you don't have to look at the middle of the dash like an idiot (and yes I know the ION had it too and it was stupid.)

I can see the dash "pod" is here for a reason. Where TOYota puts the Scion gauges in the middle to make left and right-hand drive cars use the same dashboard, by putting the gauges on a pod that attaches to the steering column, the same dash can be used but you don't have to look at the middle of the dash like an idiot (and yes I know the ION had it too and it was stupid.)

You win the prize. That is why they are doing this. Might see more of this in the future too. On the cheap cars like this they need to save money anywhere you can.

Looks pretty cool for what it is, although this size and type of car really doesn't appeal to me. If it gets people to look at and consider Chevrolet and GM, then it's all good.

I still wonder if this car is not a bit of a reimagined Opel Agila. Although the Spark's sheetmetal is much more distinctive and dynamic, I do see a lot of overall similarities. The shape and some of the cutlines on the exterior (especially the doors) seem to match up. I certainly don't think it's a bad thing (and in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter; there are enough unique elements to both cars to properly differentiate them), but I did think it was interesting.

I don't see this car replacing the Aveo in the U.S. since there is still a market here for subcompact sedans. I think this will slot in below it (isn't the Spark a class smaller than the Aveo anyway). GM will need to expand the number and variety of smaller products in their lineups to help the corporation meet stricter CAFE standards.

Edited by cire

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the Spark is wacky and edgy...and elementary school kids everywhere will adore its "surprised psycho Pokemon" face. Yes, it looks like an amusement ride cart.

But really, kids, when you're a grown-up start earning a dignified living, this is NOT the car you want to be seen in. Maybe college girls will think its cool.

Did they really design this car to appeal to adults? The current Aveo looks much more mature.

The dash is funky and I like it!

I don't care for the 5-door translation though.

OK, the Spark is wacky and edgy...and elementary school kids everywhere will adore its "surprised psycho Pokemon" face. Yes, it looks like an amusement ride cart.

But really, kids, when you're a grown-up start earning a dignified living, this is NOT the car you want to be seen in. Maybe college girls will think its cool.

Did they really design this car to appeal to adults? The current Aveo looks much more mature.

The current aveo does look more mature... and by that, I mean boring. If they'd made it a 3 door, I would have probably considered one sometime to buy & modify. The 5dr design pretty much killed the appeal, making it look less like a full cabin go-kart, and more like a lame economy car.

Why aren't you all relentlessly blasting the headlights which extend up the hood even farther than the Fit's do? This is a Chevy for crying out loud, and you're about to let them get away with that?!

I agree that this is the result of a lot of Asian influence. Given the size (smaller than the Aveo and Fit), I think the design is alright. Could have been much worse. But it could have been better too. Less Korean looking maybe.

This does appear to have a more normal hood and windshield design compared to the Fit, which is a plus. I drove the '09 Fit and am not entirely sold on the expansive dash, but the rest of the vehicle is very impressive.