Saab 9-4X Uncamoed (Virtually)

Z-06

Linkity

Spy shots: 2010 Saab 9-4X up close

Saab is close to completing development work on a new midsized crossover based around GM's Theta platform and expected to be revealed for the first time in production late this year for sale in early 2010. To spread development costs, most of the 9-4X's design has been shared with the 2010 Cadillac SRX and both vehicles are tipped to be manufactured at a plant in Ramos, Mexico. The 9-4X will be similar in size to BMW's X5 but pricing should be closer to that of the X3 and Volvo XC60 – two of the Saab crossover's prime targets.

According to previous reports, the 9-4X will run a 284hp (209kW) petrol V6 engine mated to a six-speed automatic gearbox. It will also get 18in alloys shod with 255mm tires and a Haldex-sourced AWD system with an electronic differential. For European markets GM is also expected to offer a new diesel mill it co-developed with VM Motori that outputs 250hp (184kW) and 550Nm (406 lb-ft) of torque.

These latest spy shots show an almost undisguised 9-4X prototype with the only some black tape and fake lights distinguishing it from the production version.

While development work on the 9-4X appears to be almost complete, Saab will be introducing two models before the arrival of the new crossover - the smaller 9-3X crossover and the all-important 2010 9-5.

[source:Motorauthority.com]

Too bad they are routinely ignored and starved of product.

Today's saracsm-filled sentence from ZL-1: but remember what Lutz said about there being an emotional attachment to the brand....

GM's actions since they bought SAAB show how much of an attachment there really was... :rolleyes:

exterior turned out pretty good. interior is seemingly awash in typical GM cost cutting cheapness. GM needs to learn how to make nice looking plastic. dash is overdone. but not to the point of cladded era pontiac cheapness, so this may be ok. No one will pass up an Audi for this (or a VW for that matter...LOL).

The best TE execution.
:yes: by far!

No one has a bigger attachment to Saab, than CPF ...
I was just pointing out the hypocrisy about SAAB: "we love you but we'll starve you"... doesn't make much sense... Edited by ZL-1

No, FOG. Sorry, but I disagree. On a car coming from a Nordic brand simplicity and practicality are key as simplicity and practicality are THE hallmarks of Nordic design. Also, the car is white (a colour that hides body surfacing details very well) and is still missing headlamps and taillamps.

WTF is the big deal with this?

It looks straight out of 1995 and I'm sure it'll sell that way too.

I can't believe that everyone thinks this is so great. I guess the import lovers among us have been conditioned to love BLAND (SAFE). Since that's what most of them are and what this is.

FOG which puts most of us at C&G in the category of import lovers since most of us here call the new Ford Taurus good looking while some "industry experts" say it is bland too.

The Saab does not look frumpy and trying to pretend too much like the Cadillac SRX, nor it is just a step up from the old like the Equinox. Therefore it is a better TE execution. That does not mean Saab is a fabulous looker, but it also does not mean it is a bland mobile either.

No, FOG. Sorry, but I disagree. On a car coming from a Nordic brand simplicity and practicality are key as simplicity and practicality are THE hallmarks of Nordic design. Also, the car is white (a colour that hides body surfacing details very well) and is still missing headlamps and taillamps.

I agree. This design is appropriate for Saab. Sometimes a simple design with well executed details is far more attractive than polarizing edgier designs. There are some classic Lincolns from the 50's and 60's that had appropriately elegant and understated designs that are considered prime examples of good taste and refined design. Conversely, the 2010 Mazda3 is a simple design saddled with jarringly bizarre design elements that essentially render the entire car an unattractive and unappealing mess; the car's overall design begs for refined front/rear treatments. As the 2004-2009 Mazda3 proved: "sporty" doesn't necessarily need to equal "over-the-top, in-your-face" hideousness.

I don't think the 9-4X is any better or worse than its Cadillac SRX platform mate. I think both designs are attractive and appropriate for the images of their respective brands. Both vehicles are great examples of effective platform sharing and tailoring a vehicle to properly represent a brand.

Edited by cire

Saab, the Nordic expression of car design ...

Now if they could just figure out how to put all the Saab parts in a box so you could build it yourself, just like you do at IKEA, I would be in Swedish heaven ...

Not when after 2 hours your chairs have 3 legs and you're missing 9 or 10 bolts :rotflmao:

SAAB using that "Nordic expression of design" idea together with it becoming sort of an automobile industry Apple are interesting thoughts.

Edited by ZL-1

All I'm saying is; why can't the thing express SOMETHING?

The hallmark of great and memorable cars is DESIGN.

I wish Saab the best with this and I think it is attractive, but it's not phenominal.

(And BTW, the Taurus is a little bland, especially the SHO)

wow. 350hp awd is bland.............

you know. most car designs are bland. but that is why they sell.

Wow, look at all the people who say the design is nice, but trash the 08 Vue (although save for the headlights and taillights, front and rear bumpers, looks almost identical to this). The profile, the rocker mouldings, the hood lines, everything is shared with the vue.

Anyways, that being said, I like it. I think the frontend looks very Saab, and I quite like the interior layout as well. I have no gripes about the interior quality since I, nor anyone else, has actually sat in one yet.

Wow, look at all the people who say the design is nice, but trash the 08 Vue (although save for the headlights and taillights, front and rear bumpers, looks almost identical to this). The profile, the rocker mouldings, the hood lines, everything is shared with the vue.

Anyways, that being said, I like it. I think the frontend looks very Saab, and I quite like the interior layout as well. I have no gripes about the interior quality since I, nor anyone else, has actually sat in one yet.

Personally, I think the SRX's roofline shows more of a family resemblance to the Antara/Vue and Captiva than this. This is, to me, the better differentiated of the Theta/Theta-Epsilon bunch.

You know what? I stand corrected...after reviewing an actual side profile of a Vue, this new Saab has a flatter roofline and longer wheelbase than the Antara/Vue does, so this must be on Theta II LWB. The hatch has a more slanted rear window as well.

That being said, I still like the design. Clean and simple, although even though I have an appreciation for it inside and out, I'm not sure it would commend a premium image to buyers that have that kind of money. Compare this to competition from Infiniti and Lexus, and I'm not so sure people would pick it over them.

The RX's design inside and out is a laughable devolution of the last one. The Infiniti is nice but also quite polarizing. I think this has that Swedish "keep it clean and simple" look to it like Volvos do.

Also, being a Saab, the fact that it's FWD isn't an issue since that's the brand's heritage VS Cadillac's RWD heritage. If the FWD RX can command a premium I think this can...if the interior is up to snuff.

wow. 350hp awd is bland.............

you know. most car designs are bland. but that is why they sell.

Yes it is... (HINT: I don't give a f@#k about the power of wheels when I'm talking about design -- I don't even know what this Saab is supposed to be motivated by)

Bland DOMESTIC designs haven't sold in mass for YEARS, my friend.

Hide and watch how well your SHO sells. Ford won't market the thing and the average consumer (who probably won't even buy the regular Taurus in huge numbers) won't even know it exists. The program will be cancelled in under 3 years.

(But then, I forgot... Only "rednecks" and "ghetto people" appreciate stylish cars)

My point exactly... It's the "snob appeal" of the quasi-import badge that attracts people, NOT the actual design.

Remember: most are sheeple and buy what they're told or what they think makes them more appealing in the eyes of others.

And FWIW; GM has repeatedly said that the SRX and 9-4X (which ironically compete in the SAME dealerships across the country) are both Theta premium as opposed to Theta.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Yes it is... (HINT: I don't give a f@#k about the power of wheels when I'm talking about design -- I don't even know what this Saab is supposed to be motivated by)

Bland DOMESTIC designs haven't sold in mass for YEARS, my friend.

Hide and watch how well your SHO sells. Ford won't market the thing and the average consumer (who probably won't even buy the regular Taurus in huge numbers) won't even know it exists. The program will be cancelled in under 3 years.

(But then, I forgot... Only "rednecks" and "ghetto people" appreciate stylish cars)

look at how many impalas are sold, if that aint bland i dont know what is........

regarding ford's investment in the SHO.....its part of a larger program to amortize the ecoboost development over several projects.....flex, mkt, mks, SHO......all four of those projects needs a minimum number of units per each to make the program pay off. in case you hadn't noticed, for example, those four vehicles also share the same platform and revised rear suspension. In essence then they figured maybe 5k of each model will get ecoboost. a five year lifespan of 20k min. per year on the platform means 100k sales which more than justifies the development cost. The SHO with that level of equipment will indeed sell 5k per year, even at that admitted high sticker (which will require incentives to move, but those are built in already). Not to mention Edge, explorer, and Mustang will get the same motor as well and the 4 cylinder ecoboost shares the same design costs etc.

i.e. ford had a plan.

regarding taurus sales in general......they will be pleased if they exceed the 08/09 model year numbers. the fusion is ford's volume car. in fact, if the taurus moves 60-70k now i think they will be fine with that. But the potential is real for it to go 100k also as people foresake infinitis and the new taurus has the goods to be a suitable 'downsizing' car for those who can't tap home equity for luxo japanese cars anymore. Ford reheated the Volvo P90 chassis and now again was able to remake the car into an entirely new model with minimal investment (i.e. mks, flex, taurus, mkt share those costs). that allowed ford to pop in sync, blis, adaptive cruise, stop me now because the taurus has way more tech than most GM cars do, and certainly more than the avalon and camry. impala cant say that and malibu doesnt have NAV even.

I would not be dissing ford right now. their styling is caught with its pants down right now, but ford is refocused on fusion and taurus as main market push....both have AWD, fusion has a class leading hybrid, both have sport models, and base in base form are competent in price and capabilities.........and are gaining reliability stats that GM has yet to match with an chevy product.

I am not sure i would diss ford....even with the mustang which is seeing decent reviews especially when the very excellent camaro may not even make the showroom floor (we'll know better after tuesday)........

I will hate to see that cheaper SHO beat a CTS 4 in performance also.........

Edited by regfootball

look at how many impalas are sold, if that aint bland i dont know what is........

regarding ford's investment in the SHO.....its part of a larger program to amortize the ecoboost development over several projects.....flex, mkt, mks, SHO......all four of those projects needs a minimum number of units per each to make the program pay off. in case you hadn't noticed, for example, those four vehicles also share the same platform and revised rear suspension. In essence then they figured maybe 5k of each model will get ecoboost. a five year lifespan of 20k min. per year on the platform means 100k sales which more than justifies the development cost. The SHO with that level of equipment will indeed sell 5k per year, even at that admitted high sticker (which will require incentives to move, but those are built in already). Not to mention Edge, explorer, and Mustang will get the same motor as well and the 4 cylinder ecoboost shares the same design costs etc.

i.e. ford had a plan.

regarding taurus sales in general......they will be pleased if they exceed the 08/09 model year numbers. the fusion is ford's volume car. in fact, if the taurus moves 60-70k now i think they will be fine with that. But the potential is real for it to go 100k also as people foresake infinitis and the new taurus has the goods to be a suitable 'downsizing' car for those who can't tap home equity for luxo japanese cars anymore. Ford reheated the Volvo P90 chassis and now again was able to remake the car into an entirely new model with minimal investment (i.e. mks, flex, taurus, mkt share those costs). that allowed ford to pop in sync, blis, adaptive cruise, stop me now because the taurus has way more tech than most GM cars do, and certainly more than the avalon and camry. impala cant say that and malibu doesnt have NAV even.

And how does all of this relate to my initial opinion of the 9-4X being bland?

I would not be dissing ford right now. their styling is caught with its pants down right now, but ford is refocused on fusion and taurus as main market push....both have AWD, fusion has a class leading hybrid, both have sport models, and base in base form are competent in price and capabilities.........and are gaining reliability stats that GM has yet to match with an chevy product.

I never said a damn thing about Ford. In fact I'm one of their biggest cheerleaders here. Even in the SHO thread, I openly admitted that the car was very impressive but that I would've liked a little more in the styling department.

I am not sure i would diss ford....even with the mustang which is seeing decent reviews especially when the very excellent camaro may not even make the showroom floor (we'll know better after tuesday)........

I will hate to see that cheaper SHO beat a CTS 4 in performance also.........

LOL, I don't think you'll see many CTS prospects cross shopping a Taurus. I wish Ford the best, but let's be serious.

i am saying the SHO will outrun the CTS4, and do it for a lot less money, and will have a feature level that is very close to the CTS....wait the CTS does or does not have 350hp, paddle shifters, cooled seats, voice activated music selection, sirius travel link, blis, and adaptive cruise?.

more car, less money, you will be surprised........

Edited by regfootball