Vauxhaull/ Opel Astra Caught Undisguised

Z-06

Linkity

Opel Astra Spotted by Autocar Spies

This is the first picture of the new Opel Astra, captured for the first time completely undisguised.

Spotted at a GM testing facility in Germany, by Autocar spies the car in the picture is a styling model, but it shows how the new Opel Astra will look when it goes on sale at the end of this year.

The new Opel Astra's true window line is visible for the first time, as are the rear lights and the real shape of the rear window. Until now we've only seen heavily disguised Opel Astras on test.

Underneath the Opel Astra uses GM's new Delta platform, shared with the new Chevrolet Cruze and destined for al GM's mid-size cars including the Chevrolet Volt and Opel Ampera.

Unlike the current Astra's chassis, which is a reworked version of the previous car's platform, this one is all-new and should offer greater refinement and better handling.

The suspension layout is the same, however, with MacPherson struts at the front and a torsion beam at the rear.

Inside, the dash and centre console are heavily influenced by the Insignia, with a three-dial instrument binnacle and the same wraparound dash that curves the dashboard into the door trims.

Opel's Ellesmere Port factory, where the new Astra will be built later this year, has already been fitted out with the tooling and production lines needed to manufacture the car.

[source: Autocar]

So far this car looks like it will be one good looking compact hatchback. If GM is going to give Buick different Astra variants it should revive the Skyhawk and Skylark model names. The Skyhawk name would be applied to the 3-door and 5-door. The Skylark name would be applied to the sedan and wagon. I can't wait to see the entire car undisguised; I bet it will look incredible.

Ugh! No, no, no.

I absolutely hate the rear of the greenhouse.

It's all Mazda3, Pontiac Vibe, Subaru Impreza ME TOO!

Ugh! No, no, no.

I absolutely hate the rear of the greenhouse.

It's all Mazda3, Pontiac Vibe, Subaru Impreza ME TOO!

I do agree that this car is following some modern trends in hatchback design, but I think GM can trump all three of the cars you mentioned if they nail the front/rear styling and the cars detailing. The 2010 Mazda3 has bizarre front/rear design elements. The Impreza's front/rear design elements are hopelessly bland and boring. The Vibe's front/rear design elements are okay, but somewhat dated. If GM can avoid making any of these mistakes with the Astra's front/rear design (Hint to GM: stick to the elements that make the Insignia so attractive), then they will have the best looking compact hatchback by a large margin.

Don't like the weels. What I want to see is the GTC, that's the one I'd be interested in...

Here is what autozeitung has rendered about the GTC. The magazine says that the GTC will come under the name Calibra and Opel is in the process of resurrecting the Ascona name too.

My daughter will be getting the new Astra ...

in what country?

so WHEN IS THE NEW ASTRA hitting the US? that is key. I need to know if i am to give up an on 08 or 010 and wait for the new one. Or just get three jobs and save up for a SHO. Other relevant question, will we at least get a performance version.....? this time? turbo 260hp with 6 speed manual is what i want.

in what country?

so WHEN IS THE NEW ASTRA hitting the US? that is key. I need to know if i am to give up an on 08 or 010 and wait for the new one. Or just get three jobs and save up for a SHO. Other relevant question, will we at least get a performance version.....? this time? turbo 260hp with 6 speed manual is what i want.

Knowing GM, the new Astra will probably be here by 2013 or so..with only the smallest engines.

Here is what autozeitung has rendered about the GTC. The magazine says that the GTC will come under the name Calibra and Opel is in the process of resurrecting the Ascona name too.
So the Ascona would be the Astra sedan (entry-level Buick in the US and China) and the Calibra would be the GTC's successor (Buick Riviera? Or is that blapshemy?). Interestingly, I read that the Renault Megane sedan might get a different name.

On a funny note for those who know Portuguese, they would have to change the Ascona's name here again, because of all the jokes that were made around the Ascona name in Portuguese! :lol:

Edited by ZL-1