Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Favorite type of food?

We all like talking about food. It's too hard to construct a mutliple-choice poll for this, so I'm just listing the food I like.

1) Italian food - some of it is better than an orgasm

2) Greek food - a lot of Middle Eastern food is equally good - there are some awesome Greek combo platters

caution: there is some bad Greek food out there and, if it's lamb, it has to be fresh and not gamy

3) American food - reliable

The food I can't stand is of the variety that will make you "keel over" from the smell when you walk into the place that serves it - Ethiopian, Indian and Thai

Your favorite food(s)? (What foods don't you like?)

Edited by trinacriabob

Creamy Cheesy Mac -n- Cheese with a crunchy top, Oven Baked.

Love Indian Food

Love Korean and Japan Food. Course went to college in Japan. Nothing better than Sushi and a woman who pours the beer into your mouth with a kiss. :P

American

Some German, Yup my german relative would kill me. :D

Just about willing to try almost anything at least once and then I can say I do not like it.

Woman and Food what better combo.

Top 15, in order of preference:

1. Thai

2. Italian

3. Mediterranean/Middle Eastern (Greek, Iranian, Lebanese, Israeli, Morrocan, etc---there are a couple great Israeli restaurants here in Phoenix that I like a lot).

4. American

4. Indian (both northern and southern, and Nepalese).

5. Vietnamese

6. French

7. Southern

8. S./Central American--Mexican, Peruvian, Argentinian, Brasilian

9. Japanese

10. German

11. Chinese

12. Sri Lankan (some of the spiciest and most flavourful I've had).

13. Mongolian

14. Korean

15. Ethiopean

(I've never wanted 'keel over' walking into an Ethiopian, Indian or Thai restaurant--I love the scent of lots of spices and ingredients...then again, I have a very poor sense of smell, too much perma-congestion).

I've also enjoyed Jewish, Carribean, West African (Ghanan), some Polish.... Not much of a fan of Russian dishes.

I think my dislikes are not so much specific cuisines but certain ingredients---i.e. I won't touch eggplant or food made from internal organs.

Edited by moltar

Wow, I feel like a lone wolf. Am I the ONLY person that doesn't like Thai?

Same thing at work:

"Let's go get Thai."

"You can go without me."

Maybe it depends on what you order, or which restaurant you go to?

A lot of Thai dishes aren't too different from Chinese dishes. You could always get fried rice, or dishes that aren't garnished with a lot of flavors... steamed mussels, for example. Pad see ew is almost identical to Chinese stir-fried rice noodle with broccoli, egg, and beef. I can't imagine there being anything offensive in that.

Edited by empowah

Moltie, have you ever tried Russian food? It sounds like it might be good. I wonder what it's main staples are...

I've had a few dishes that were supposed to be Russian, didn't really care for it. Can't remember what was in it, some kind of cold soup that tasted like old socks, IIRC. One of my best friends is of Russian ancestry, but he doesn't cook any Russian dishes, just Jewish staples (matzo, corned beef, etc).

Maybe it depends on what you order, or which restaurant you go to?

A lot of Thai dishes aren't too different from Chinese dishes. You could always get fried rice, or dishes that aren't garnished with a lot of flavors... steamed mussels, for example. Pad see ew is almost identical to Chinese stir-fried rice noodle with broccoli, egg, and beef. I can't imagine there being anything offensive in that.

I got burned twice. Both times, I said "ZERO stars"...that means MILD, Mr. Order Taker...

They didn't get it...or he has a warped sense of humor. I went home from work sick both times.

Now, mind you, I love Cantonese Chinese food and some of the milder, blander dishes...the vegetable chow meins, the beef broccoli, cashew chicken, lemon/orange chicken and the soups...provided they don't have a pungent aftertaste and don't punch you in the stomach when you go back to work.

A coworker made too much jambalaya and he brought some in to work today. It was :hot: and tasty!

I love spicy salmon roll, I get a double order of that when I go Japanese. Oh and I have to have :hot: Chinese mustard with my fried noodle, no duck sauce for me.

I've had a few dishes that were supposed to be Russian, didn't really care for it. Can't remember what was in it, some kind of cold soup that tasted like old socks, IIRC.

Now I may not go near it. Since I know you're a food connoisseur, I would imagine you like French food.

Since they generally don't have French restaurants all over the place, I will have to say it is delicious, when you feel like splurging a little.

I love spicy salmon roll, I get a double order of that when I go Japanese. Oh and I have to have :hot: Chinese mustard with my fried noodle, no duck sauce for me.

I like :hot: foods as well... unfortunately I can't have them like I used to since my surgery. For some reason, the sensation isn't there--like the nerves didn't reconnect after the surgery. It's spicy on my tongue, but it's an uncomfortable tingling in my mouth... it's very weird.

I love spicy salmon rolls too... and the other roll I'm drawing a blank--it has soft shell crab in it. Alaskan? I can't remember.

I got burned twice. Both times, I said "ZERO stars"...that means MILD, Mr. Order Taker...

They didn't get it...or he has a warped sense of humor. I went home from work sick both times.

Now, mind you, I love Cantonese Chinese food and some of the milder, blander dishes...the vegetable chow meins, the beef broccoli, cashew chicken, lemon/orange chicken and the soups...provided they don't have a pungent aftertaste and don't punch you in the stomach when you go back to work.

Speaking of degrees of hot, usually Thai places have no spice, mild, medium, hot and Thai hot...I used to have a coworker that I was very competitive with--when i'd order hot, he'd order Thai hot. One time, I ordered double Thai hot---he ordered quadruple Thai hot...his whole noodle dish was covered in red. Don't know how he finished it. These days, I don't do Thai hot anymore--usually just mild or medium. Without downing a few Immodium before and after (and guzzling Pepto-Bismol afterwards), I can't handle really spicy food anymore. It's not much fun not being able to make it home without firehosing.

I love properly-done Italian seafood, but overall Italian is my least favorite cuisine due to the number of mediocre chaintastic restaurants in the US that pretend to serve "Italian."

Really, Mama D's in Manhattan Beach is the only one I like. They also have one in Hermosa, but I've never dined there.

My favorite has to be authentic Chinese food and dim sum. I get that as often as I can.

I love good semi-authentic or authentic Mexican, though I do have a soft spot for Qdoba Tex-Mex.

Thai is incredible.

So is Japanese, whether we are talking Hibachi or Sushi, though I'm not sold on Shabu-Shabu.

I love Korean. I love USC's proximity to K-Town even more.

I love Southern food.

Really, the question is what DON'T I like?

I can be pretty down with good Creole.

I LOVE well-done French food.

I LOVE traditional American food, like casseroles and meat dishes (meatloaf, burgers, BBQ, Mac & Cheese--from scratch, of course, etc.)

Edited by Croc

except......not a big fish and seafood guy.

I don't like shellfish and have gotten sick from it a time or two. Plus, it's not really good for you.

Now, the big "steak-like" fish such as halibut, swordfish, mahi mahi and shark are both delicious and good for you (high protein, low fat, lower cholesterol than others)

I don't like shellfish and have gotten sick from it a time or two. Plus, it's not really good for you.

Now, the big "steak-like" fish such as halibut, swordfish, mahi mahi and shark are both delicious and good for you (high protein, low fat, lower cholesterol than others)

shrimp and scallops, yum.

mussels etc. GROSS.

the fish you mentioned is all good. But when it comes to that, steak or chicken or pork tends to win out for me.

What is your definition of authentic Italian?

Well, the meal cooked right, preferably with fresh ingredients. They rarely use preservatives in Italy, and it does affect the results. Also, some local chains seem to think opening up a can of jarred sauce or a can of tomatoes constitutes a fresh sauce. No.

Mmmm... baked mac-n-cheese with broccoli in it...

Ixnay on the broccoli. I use the 1946 Joy of Cooking recipe for baked macaroni...but I add shredded turkey (smoked or not) to it. Cheese-wise, it's American and Velveeta (which I was shocked to see doesn't contain trans fats, so I can eat it woohoo!).

1946, huh. That was before I was born. I like broccoli in my mac-n-cheese when I am eating it as a meal, but as a side dish, it's fine without it. And Velveeta makes a delicious sauce when mixed with skim milk and sharp cheddar. American cheese is unpatriotic. Spam Lite is also good, cubed into the mac-n-cheese. Edited by ocnblu

1946, huh. That was before I was born. I like broccoli in my mac-n-cheese when I am eating it as a meal, but as a side dish, it's fine without it. And Velveeta makes a delicious sauce when mixed with skim milk and sharp cheddar. American cheese is unpatriotic. Spam Lite is also good, cubed into the mac-n-cheese.

I don't eat canned meat products, only fish--and sparingly.

Well, the meal cooked right, preferably with fresh ingredients. They rarely use preservatives in Italy, and it does affect the results. Also, some local chains seem to think opening up a can of jarred sauce or a can of tomatoes constitutes a fresh sauce. No.

Our friends own an Italian restaurant here and they are very authentic. Since she is from Parma, all the food is from that region and EVERYTHING is made from scratch. They even roast the pumpkin and puree it for the pumpkin tortelli. (Which I understand is not very easy)

PCS: :butthead::smilewide:

Croc, how do you get your protein? Ohhhh..... :blush:

Tuna is also good in mac-n-cheese, with cayenne pepper liberally applied.

Fresh meat products. I pretty much avoid anything canned, excepting tuna and smoked salmon...and the occasional soup, though I like making mine from scratch.

The baked mac-n-cheese recipe I use already has cayenne in it, but I'm not sure I'd put canned tuna in it. Maybe sometime soon I'll get a fillet or steak and see what I can do with it.

Our friends own an Italian restaurant here and they are very authentic. Since she is from Parma, all the food is from that region and EVERYTHING is made from scratch. They even roast the pumpkin and puree it for the pumpkin tortelli. (Which I understand is not very easy)

Roasting and pureeing pumpkin actually is fairly easy to do...it just takes time.

Roasting and pureeing pumpkin actually is fairly easy to do...it just takes time.

We had a ripe Kobocha (Japanese pumpkin) lying around in the house, so I roasted and pureed it to make pumpkin ravioli. Used Mario Batali's recipe (parm, balsamic, nutmeg + sage butter) and found it way too sweet for my liking. So the following night, I added some sauteed pork loin and mirepoix ("processed" that in the food pro) to the leftover filling, tried it again, and this time it was a nice mix of sweet and savory.

Pork makes everything better...

Edited by empowah

Sometimes people equate time consuming to difficulty, at least I think there is a certain correlation.

Everything they do takes time. Making pasta, making stock, making sauce.

Time-consuming isn't the same as "taking time" for me...especially with the pumpkin puree. You have to put the pumpkin in the oven for a specified amount of time; you certainly don't have to do a lot of things with it OVER time, like continuously mixing something while waiting for it to boil--THAT'S "time-consuming" to me because it needs constant attention.

Shoot, just cut the pumpkin in wedges, stick it in the oven, scrape it off the rind when roasted and stick it in the processor. What's so hard about that?

Exactly. If you can use a knife, turn on an oven, and hit "puree" on your blender or food processor, you can make pumpkn puree. And it tastes a hell of a lot better than that rancid Libby's $h!.

I don't know how to rate them.. I just love food! American, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, Thai, and tidbits of other stuff. There's nothing I'm afraid to try... I love all types. Pasta, seafood, beef/chicken/turkey/etc, good ol' sandwiches, salad, soup. I'm just really hungry right now lol.