Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Officially Official: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO!

It's SHO Time

016_2010taurussho_opta.jpg

The SHO must go on. SHO me the money. It's SHO time!

We've heard them all during the months of speculation leading up to this moment. Without further ado, we present to you the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO. That's right, Ford has decided to revive the moniker once affixed to the sports sedan that wowed the automotive world way back in 1989. The original SHO survived three generations of Taurus models, was sold for 10 years straight and attracted over 100,000 buyers. But just as the Taurus itself devolved from America's best-selling car to a rental fleet afterthought, the original SHO ended production in 1999 having gone from a budget sports sedan to an overpriced, underpowered executive whip.

Ford is working on rehabilitating the Taurus name with a significant redesign that debuted last month at the Detroit Auto Show. Using that sedan as its canvas, the new SHO may also restore respect to a name that has fallen too far. A 365-hp twin-turbo EcoBoost V6, all-wheel-drive and plenty of upgrades is a good place to start. Follow the jump to learn everything there is to know about the return of the SHO.

Ford is currently in the process of stuffing its new 3.5L EcoBoost V6 into any that fits. The Ford Flex, Lincoln MKS and upcoming Lincoln MKT are all getting it. Being based on the same platform as the MKS, it was a no-brainer that the redesigned 2010 Taurus would also get the twin-turbo, direct-inject engine that Ford promises will deliver V8 power with V6 fuel economy. Rather than simply affix the EcoBoost badge to the Taurus' trunk and call it a day, Ford product planners decided that this model would be the perfect vehicle to once again wear the letters S-H-O.

That model designation originally meant Super High Output, which definitely applies to the modern version. Whereas the original SHO used a high-revving 220-hp 3.0L V6 (later a 235-hp 3.4L V8) developed and built by Yamaha, the new SHO's advanced engine turns a relatively small 3.5 liters of displacement displacement and a lot of pressure into 365 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 350 ft.-lb of torque at 3,500 rpm. That makes this version of Ford's 3.5L EcoBoost V6 the most powerful one available with 10 more horsepower than its other applications.

Unlike the original SHO, however, this new one is about much more than just the engine. Backing up the potent powerplant is a torque-sensing all-wheel-drive system mated to Ford's 6F55 six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission. The tranny is augmented by a manual mode that can be controlled either by the console shifter or paddle shifters, and will also rev match downshifts and hold gears even when the tach is bouncing off the engine's redline.

The SHO further separates itself from lesser Taurus models with a beefed up suspension that includes SHO-specific shock absorbers, springs, stabilizer bars and strut mount bushings. Furthermore, the new SHO also features Ford's new SR1 suspension setup with MacPherson front struts and a multi-link set up in the rear. We'll have to wait for a test drive to determine for sure, but the SHO's suspension should be noticeably sharper than that of the standard Taurus and its other platform-mate, the Lincoln MKS. There will even be an optional Performance Package that includes better brake pads, recalibrated steering, a "Sport Mode" for the stability control system and shorter 3.16 to 1 final drive ratio. Nineteen-inch wheels wrapped in Goodyear Eagle rubber will be standard, while 20-inchers wearing Michelin high-performance summer tires will also be available.

New wheels are one of only a few items that will visually set the SHO apart from lesser Taurus trim levels. The grille features a dark grey finish that matches the wheels and new parking lamp bevels are SHO-only items. There's also a decklid spoiler out back along with a simple SHO/EcoBoost badge on the trunk lid. One of the exclusive colors available will also be Atlantis Green, which Ford says was inspired by the Deep Emerald Green seen on many second-generation (1992-1995) SHO models.

While the exterior styling adheres to the same sleeper philosophy as the original, the new SHO interior is a bit more outgoing. The seats are leather-trimmed and two-tone with Mike Suede inserts, which Ford proudly points out are produced from post-consumer yarns made of plastic soda bottles. The dash and door panels also feature acres of aluminum trim, and SHO branding appears on the floor mats and passenger-side dash panel.

Those are basically the lengths to which Ford has gone to transform its new Taurus into a modern day interpretation of the original SHO. There is some bad news, however, some of which will likely not go over well with the SHO faithful who live on websites like SHOtimes.com, SHOforum.com and BringBackTheSHO.com, and who Ford also claims it listened to during the car's development.

For one, the original Yamaha 3.0L V6 (upper left) was one of the most gorgeous engines ever created with an overlapping system of intake runners that is a marvel to behold. The 3.5L EcoBoost V6 in the new version (upper right) is covered by a boring, black plastic shroud with SHO branding. Also, aside from the aforementioned availability of a SHO-inspired shade of green, there's not much that visually connects the new car to the original. Though the first- and second-gen SHOs did not look drastically different than a standard Taurus, there were certain SHO elements that have become associated with the car, specifically the "slicer" wheels that debuted in '90/'91 and were standard on all second-gen models.

Then there's the question of whether another Ford product might have been a more appropriate choice for a modern day SHO. The Fusion, for instance, is smaller, lighter and less expensive than the current Taurus. While the redesigned 2010 Fusion does offer a Sport model with a big V6, we envision a more balanced Fusion SHO that honors the original with front-wheel-drive, a manual transmission and high output 2.0L EcoBoost four-cylinder. It might be nice, but it's not the way Ford went.

The 2010 Ford Taurus SHO will start at $37,995 when it goes on sale this summer. That's a lofty price tag for a Taurus, but not for a 365-hp, all-wheel-drive sedan stuffed with this much tech and luxury. The original SHO stickered for just under $20,000 in late 1988, which was also considered a big premium to pay for Ford's bread-and-butter family sedan. But auto pundits of the day quickly realized that the SHO was a performance bargain compared to more expensive cars from brands like BMW. Based on what we've learned so far, the same thing will likely be said of the new one.

Source: Autoblog

018_2010taurussho_opt.jpg

014_2010taurussho_opt.jpg

011_2010taurussho_opt.jpg

039_2010taurussho_opt.jpg

It's really square looking, not very sleek or muscular. It vaguely makes me think of the Chrysler 300, except this doesn't have the mobster look to it, it's just a block on wheels. Not really a fan of the design, and the rear is pretty bad.

But those are complaints of the car in general. The drivetrain in the SHO seems pretty nice. I wonder how it performs.

It's really square looking, not very sleek or muscular. It vaguely makes me think of the Chrysler 300, except this doesn't have the mobster look to it, it's just a block on wheels. Not really a fan of the design, and the rear is pretty bad.

But those are complaints of the car in general. The drivetrain in the SHO seems pretty nice. I wonder how it performs.

Yeah but...you like almost all of Honda's designs and very few of anyone else's. :P

I'm looking forward to seeing how this performs against the likes of the G8 GT, and Charger. Not a huge fan of the suede, though.

Interesting how you should mention that. The SHO is $6K more than the G8 GT, but even so, the Ford's pricing still seems very reasonable, even more so than the Pontiac's. The more expensive looking interior and exterior, the greater array of technology (SYNC, park assist, radar cruise, life traffic nav, etc), and all-wheel drive help. And something tells me it won't depreciate as quickly, too.

Edited by empowah

hate suede.

the plastic engine cover is a problem too (for guys like me that used to sit and state at the intake runners under the hoods of my other SHOs).

aside from that this car is a major wet dream for SHO owners like me. I can live with the paddle shifters. A true manual would be nice, but this car is so much bigger than the original, I don't think a true manual would really fit an AWD 365hp car this huge.

Good job Ford. I love the G8 GXP but this thing has AWD so I can use it in winter too. Awesome.

Sync and Nav too. All the bases are covered. GET RID OF THE SUEDE!!!!!!!

get rid of the chrome, too. This car does not need chrome. maybe just on the wheels but i would prefer blackout trim and machined wheels. and LEATHER seats.

Edited by regfootball

Nice car but not a $40K+ car.

Once I hit the $40K level my option open up and I would look to spend it on a car that I can get from Hertz. Even if it had a little less HP.

This car would be acceptable at $38K and down but once it options out over that there are too many other options open over a Ford.

Same would would go for me even if it was a Chevy.

As for AWD nothing wrong with offering it but if you can't drive a RWD in the snow you should not own a car with near 400 HP to start with. Millions drove for years with V8's RWD and poor bias snow tires and got around just fine. The only reason Ford is offering it is to prevent torque steer since this is a FWD based sedan.

I wish them well but I don't see many of these selling. At least not at anything near sticker.

Edited by hyperv6

A very cool package, albeit at a slightly higher price point than I anticipated. The only thing that concerns me about the Taurus in general is that the nice looking front end doesn't match the rear end's design. However, the trunklid spoiler definitely helps the flow of the design compared to the normal Taurus. I'd like to see the suede in person before I say anything, it's good that Ford is trying something different as a lot of interiors look the same nowadays with similar color combos featuring a bunch of buttons on the center stack. Gotta do anything to differentiate yourself in these tough times. I think the last time I posted was before I started pharmacy school last fall, geez. I have been lurking though. Alas, back to studying.

Edited by big blue

Awesome. I'd take one over a 535i and save the $20K... not to mention how a blue oval badge is probably more appropriate now than a BMW roundel.

LOL... NEVER!

Even the most staunch "environmentalist/fundamentalist" won't drop his/her snob appeal long enough to use that logic. Remember, in america, it's all about "me" and that pertains to even charity and saving the environment.

Re: the car. WOW! It looks... Just like a regular Taurus! I am impressed by the engine, though.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

LOL... NEVER!

Even the most staunch "environmentalist/fundamentalist" won't drop his/her snob appeal long enough to use that logic. Remember, in america, it's all about "me" and that pertains to even charity and saving the environment.

Re: the car. WOW! It looks... Just like a regular Taurus! I am impressed by the engine, though.

I would buy the 535i just because I don't want a Ford.

Yeah but...you like almost all of Honda's designs and very few of anyone else's. :P

:deathwatch: This just like all of the past versions just is a bland jellybean look to it. Anyone as is mentioned above that thinks this is bland but likes Honda's need to get their vision checked. This is a bit nicer looking than the current ungly Honda's.

Seems Honda is coping GM's designs from the late 80's and earlu 90's as there is nothing new out of Honda.

Drive train does sound nice though. Gotta love power with AWD. :D

Nice car but not a $40K+ car.

Once I hit the $40K level my option open up and I would look to spend it on a car that I can get from Hertz. Even if it had a little less HP.

This car would be acceptable at $38K and down but once it options out over that there are too many other options open over a Ford.

Same would would go for me even if it was a Chevy.

As for AWD nothing wrong with offering it but if you can't drive a RWD in the snow you should not own a car with near 400 HP to start with. Millions drove for years with V8's RWD and poor bias snow tires and got around just fine. The only reason Ford is offering it is to prevent torque steer since this is a FWD based sedan.

I wish them well but I don't see many of these selling. At least not at anything near sticker.

Ford was smart enough to take away the objection to buying such a high hp car. G8 will rot on lots in winter in northern climes because it doesn't have AWD. Ford takes away the objection to either FWD or RWD by just saying 'drive all 4 wheels....just like Audi etc.'. So Ford isn't stupid like GM in that regard.

And evo is like 38 grand. I'd rather have this AWD turbo than an EVO at this price. And it will be more enjoyable than say a butch hemi LX chrysler.

An Impala SS loaded is less than $34k MSRP, and LaCrosse super doesn't seem to be much more than that.

Yeah, but they are old, outdated platforms with 4spd transmissions, cheap interiors, etc. The SHO is modern, much better content and drivetrain. It's a better car at a higher price. It will be interesting to see a Super version of the NG LaCrosse would stack up, though.. (or will the Buick be compared to the MKS now that the Sable is gone?).

And evo is like 38 grand. I'd rather have this AWD turbo than an EVO at this price. And it will be more enjoyable than say a butch hemi LX chrysler.

So would I, the Evo is fast and handles well, but it's cheap inside and styled like it's targeted to a teenage video gamer. The SHO is larger and more adult. I liked the 1st and 2nd gen SHOs, didn't care for the 3rd gen because the 3rd gen Taurus was so ugly ('96-99 model).

Ford was smart enough to take away the objection to buying such a high hp car. G8 will rot on lots in winter in northern climes because it doesn't have AWD. Ford takes away the objection to either FWD or RWD by just saying 'drive all 4 wheels....just like Audi etc.'. So Ford isn't stupid like GM in that regard.

While I do agree about the AWD, I certainly think an SRT-8 Charger would allow me to have A LOT more fun than this SHO (which is very impressive in it's own right --- I was just hoping for something more on the visual side)

While I do agree about the AWD, I certainly think an SRT-8 Charger would allow me to have A LOT more fun than this SHO (which is very impressive in it's own right --- I was just hoping for something more on the visual side)

I'd have to take a G8 GXP over a Charger SRT-8... I like the hardware of the Charger,but can't get into the styling. Plus, the GXP has a manual available.

Kind of an apples and oranges thing, though. The SHO is in a different category than the Charger and G8, it's more of a budget Audi or maybe a TL competitor, or nominally an Impala SS competitor.

Edited by moltar

LOL... NEVER!

The SHO has EcoBoost, but at 16/25 mpg it's still not exactly an environmentalist's dream car...

I was talking about the SHO's value for money, not its green credentials.

The SHO should have been a updated Fusion and started at $29K. This car needed to be smaller, Lighter, sportier looking and Cheaper.

People in the past always bought the Taurus because they were cheap and a good value. This may be a good car but far from a good value.

Ford will sell these but not not is any volume where you will see one everyday. To may better cars in this price range.

The SHO should have been a updated Fusion and started at $29K. This car needed to be smaller, Lighter, sportier looking and Cheaper.

People in the past always bought the Taurus because they were cheap and a good value. This may be a good car but far from a good value.

Ford will sell these but not not is any volume where you will see one everyday. To may better cars in this price range.

We get it, you don't like and are too hung up on badge snobbery to pay $40K for a Ford. People buy DTS' after all. However there are those who will look past the badge and be happy to. It looks expensive inside and out, and given Ford's recent track record, should drive well too.

Of course it won't sell in high volume because it's not a high volume version of the car.

Correct!

Except I finally sat in a new Malibu (LTZ) when I was shopping for an Audi A4 (looking for 3.0L with 6-speed manual, hard to find). It is very nice and there was nothing disagreeable about it. I warmed up to the awkward tail lights too. My main gripe though is the center stack, which still doesn't seem to flow with the design of the interior. I suppose it's a minor gripe. I was surprised to find soft-touch plastic in areas I didn't expect it.

I'm hoping a high performance Fusion gets added into the mix in the near future. If Ford integrates AWD into it, then an SHO/SVT Fusion would make for an interesting A4 competitor.

Only stupid people who have no common sense and poor driving skills think they need FWD or AWD to get around in the snow.

Signed,

a Grand Marquis owner in New England.

and you probably use your fingernails to peel potatoes instead of a potato peeler. You probably play football on grass with dress shoes too.

wow and all those that have bought SUV's and crossovers in the last 15 years disagree, BTW. Otherwise i think toyota would have been peddling grand marquis knockoffs instead of AWD venzas now.

Edited by regfootball

Fusion sport has more power than any SHO and is priced cheap. So, buy a Fusion sport then. Base taurus alone has 260+ hp and is adequately light.

Ford has the whiners covered. Unless you want a pushrod Impala on a W chassis to drive around in, be my guest.

Edited by regfootball

At least it's way better looking than the current Tau500ass.

That frumpy, Awkwardly-tall & super-bland sedan was not

exactly winning any buyers based on styling.

The 1st Gen. Mustang retro inspired interior is quite nice,

for a modern car....

For one, the original Yamaha 3.0L V6 (upper left) was one of the most gorgeous engines ever created with an overlapping system of intake runners that is a marvel to behold.

Wow... that is one of the most pathetic statements I've ever

read in my life. Boy, this author sounds easily impressed. :rolleyes:

Obviously he's seen about as many 1950s/pre-war/exotic

engines as Ray Charles or Helen Keller.

Oh yeah, and before I forget $37,000 for a Front-wheel biased AWD V6 powered car?

It's just as laughable to me as those equally overpriced buck-toothed Acura cars.

And the slap in the face is that there's V8 powered RWD cars that get equal MPG. :mellow:

Oh yeah, and before I forget $37,000 for a Front-wheel biased AWD V6 powered car?

It's just as laughable to me as those equally overpriced buck-toothed Acura cars.

And the slap in the face is that there's V8 powered RWD cars that get equal MPG. :mellow:

No...it's a different definition of luxury. I don't mind that Acuras are FWD...they're just ugly. Audi is a respected luxury nameplate, and their products are FWD bias.

You go on and on about "variety is the spice of life" yet bitch every time an expensive (or any) FWD car shows up. There are RWD, especially in this price range to choose from. Not everyone wants RWD, so they have a choice. That's the beauty of choice and variety. :wink:

Nope. Sorry.

Variety IS the spice of life.

That's why there's DIFFERENT types of RWD cars to choose from:

1. RWD, Iron-block Pushrod V8, Automatic Trans, BOF, Open Live Rear Axle, four door hardtop (472-powered Cadillac Sedan deVille hardtop)

2. RWD, Aluminum SOHC V8, 4-speed Automatic, Unibody, IRS-posi, hardtop coupe ('84 MB 500SEC)

3. Rear-Biased-AWD, Unibody, Bi-turbo-I6, 6-speed manual, IRS, four door sedan (BMW 328xi)

4. RWD, Aluminum-block Pushrod V8, 6-speed manual, Unibody, Limited Slip Live Axle, 4-door Sedan (Pontiac G8-GT)

5. RWD, DOHC-V12, 4-speed Automatic, Unibody, IRS, 2-door hardtop (BMW 850)

6. RWD, Iron-block Pushrod V8, 4-speed Automatic, BOF, Limited Slip Live Axle, 4-door sedan (94-96 Impala SS)

7. RWD, Aluminum-Block, Supercharged, DOHC V8, 5-spd Auto, Unibdy, IRS (STS-V)

8. etc... you get the point!

And you forget that opinion is not fact. Some like FWD, or don't mind which wheels do the work if the car handles and drives good...like a Cobalt SS

OMFG BELIEVE IT OR NOT!11111

Hypocrisy...it's a terrible thing.

Yes, but remember, 68 is delusional and believes his opinions are facts.. :)

I'm a big RWD fan, but I do like 4wd and AWD, and see nothing wrong with FWD in some kinds of models.

And you forget that opinion is not fact. Some like FWD, or don't mind which wheels do the work if the car handles and drives good...like a Cobalt SS

OMFG BELIEVE IT OR NOT!11111

Hypocrisy...it's a terrible thing.

Yup. My FWD 2001 3.5 Aurora is so much fun to drive I don't give a $h! that the drive wheels are up front.