Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Lincoln Back on Track

12 posts in this topic

Autoweek

Nearly two years after taking over Ford Motor Co.'s North American design group, Peter Horbury says he has made enough progress on Lincoln to take it off the top of his priority list.

The 2006 Zephyr mid-sized car is now on sale. And more Lincolns are coming. The brand's showroom will have eight entries by the end of the decade, officials have said.

Some of that work, particularly the Zephyr, was already well under way when Horbury arrived in Dearborn in December 2003. Back then, Ford design chief J Mays named Lincoln as priority No. 1 for Horbury, a Brit who had led Volvo's design makeover.

Despite a steady stream of questions and criticism about Lincoln's direction, the automaker has largely stayed mum on Lincoln design for two years.

"I didn't want to be responsible for another Lincoln show car followed by nothing," Horbury told Automotive News at a press event here.

Now production versions of show cars are really on the way. Lincoln issued a sneak peak of the 2007 Aviator crossover in late October. It will appear at the Detroit auto show in January and go on sale next fall.

A concept version of a Lincoln large sedan scheduled for production in 2007 also is expected at the Detroit show. Another Lincoln sedan and a Lincoln people mover are also in the works.

With that progress, Horbury says he now considers Lincoln on equal footing with the Ford and Mercury brands when it comes to divvying up his time.

Horbury is selecting about six classic Lincoln design cues to be used interchangeably. He won't detail that list right now.

But he will talk about one change in Lincoln's design intentions. Horbury no longer thinks Lincoln must have a uniform face.

Edited by mustang84

8 entries?

hmm...

Navigator
Navigator w/ Ext wheelbase
Aviator
Mark LT
Zephyr
TownCar Replacement
LS Replacement
People Mover/minvan?

interesting lineup. Pretty neat though, I would however like to see a few more cars then trucks, but at least something is happening...

I caught their new tagline in one of Lincoln's (rare) commercials: "Reach higher". I guess is better than "Reach for the star" which would be kind of cheesy with their logo and all.

Lincoln should cut the extended-wheelbase Navigator and replace it with a coupe/convertible/roadster. Edit: spelling (!!!) Edited by sciguy_0504

Lincoln should cut the extended-wheelbase Navigator and replace it with a coupe/convertible/roadster.

Edit: spelling (!!!)

[post="40893"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Navigators and Escalades are big money even if they don't sell huge numbers of them. Those two are probably most profitable vehicles the big two make today. They don't cost a fortune to develop also, they are nothing more than fancy Tahoes and Expeditions.

But an extended wheelbase Navigator? ESV sells (somewhat) because of the Escalade following and its very obvious the Caddy has more street cred with people who would waste money excessively than the Lincoln. Plus, when large SUV sales are waning, rolling out a bigger Navigator seems a day late and $60,000 short.

8 entries? hmm...

Navigator
Aviator
Mark LT
Zephyr
TownCar Replacement
LS Replacement
People Mover/minvan?

[post="40870"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In a different press release they said "AT LEAST 8"...
also I wouldn't count the Navi twice and would include a Panther (yeah, I think it could/should/will still be around come 2010). I'm pretty sure (no inside info) that a Lincoln D2C will make it NINE.

I think it's lame when two vehicles like the Suburban and Tahoe are considered two models.... why? Cause one is 13" longer? Stupid. Back in the day a '59 Caddy was made in a dozen different configurations including a coachbuilt Brogham and yet they only really had a few models.

8 entries?

hmm...

Navigator
Aviator
Mark LT
Zephyr
TownCar Replacement
LS Replacement
People Mover/minvan?

interesting lineup. Pretty neat though, I would however like to see a few more cars then trucks, but at least something is happening...

[post="40870"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Navigator
Aviator
Mark LT
Zephyr
TownCar Replacement
LS Replacement
People Mover/minvan? R-Class competitor (I think it'll be cool)
+ Maybe a coupe or two? A 6-Series or SC competitor.

A people-mover? <_<

A people-mover?  <_<

[post="41082"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dear Lincoln, BMW, et al,
People movers are fully-automated light rail or tram systems, typically serving a small loop like at an airport or theme park. If your people mover is stuck on a rail, shaped like a box, and doesn't have a driver, then I'd be very interested to see it. However, if your people mover has four wheels, 7-8 seats, and looks like a van, then its a freaking van, you morons.

Again, a people mover...
Posted Image
A van...
Posted Image

Thank you.
Sincerely,
The English Language.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0