BMW 5-series GT: Don't call this concept an MPV

Oracle of Delphi

bmw5seriesgtuq3.jpg

bmw5seriesgthl9.jpg

BMW 5-series GT

Greg Kable

AutoWeek

February 13, 2009 - 9:32 am ET

BMW's desire to compete in every conceivable luxury-market niche has moved up a gear with the unveiling of the 5-series GT, a car known until now by its working title, the Progressive Activity Sedan.

Although BMW will be billing the five-door liftback as a concept at its public showing at the Geneva motor show in early March, little about its bold design is expected to change before it reaches showrooms.

In fact, the official photographs reveal the new car in its production-based glory. Only the trim will be altered before it sees the showroom, BMW says.

By insisting that it is called a GT, for Grand Turismo, BMW is attempting to avoid its latest model being described as an MPV. In reality, it is a combination of both, with a dash of sport-utility vehicle thrown in for good measure.

One of the primary reasons for the existence of the 5-series GT, according to BMW's outgoing design boss Chris Bangle, is an internal study that reveals an aging customer base that finds the traditional seating position of the 5-series sedan too sporting but at the same time considers the elevated seating in the X6 too imposing.

"This is the most customer-centered car we've ever done," Bangle said. "We discovered a group of BMW buyers we were failing to reach out to at a sales level. We wanted to build a car to suit their everyday needs. There were no preconceived ideas. Everything you see is customer driven."

The 5-series GT, which will be shown in production trim at the Frankfurt motor show in September (North American sales begin in 2010), is based on BMW's new large-car platform, first used by the redesigned 7-series. It rides on a unique 120.9-inch wheelbase that is expected to be shared with a long-wheelbase version of the next 5-series to be sold in the Chinese market.

At launch, the 5-series GT will be offered only with rear-wheel drive, although the xDrive four-wheel-drive system is planned to be offered as an option in the future.

The exterior styling is credited to young BMW designer Christopher Weil.

Below the 5-series GT's waistline, the appearance and body surfacing resembles that of the next-generation 5-series sedan due out next year. Above it, the roofline and corresponding window graphic mimics the X6. Weil also integrated elements of BMW's CS concept into the design, as seen by the shape of the headlamps.

The biggest exterior innovation is the 5-series GT's two-mode hatch opening mechanism. In the first mode, the vertical tailgate hinges upward, porthole style, to create a rectangular-shaped opening. In the second mode, the entire rear window and tailgate lift together to provide a large opening that is further aided by a parcel shelf that automatically folds away to provide unimpeded loading.

BMW dealerships will have to find precious real estate to accommodate the new car when it arrives in North American showrooms early next year. At 196.8 inches long and 61.2 inches tall, the 5-series GT is about six inches longer and 3.7 inches taller than today's 5-series sedan, which will be replaced by an all-new within the next year.

It is inside the car where BMW has directed much of its attention.

"We spent a long time developing the interior, with particular attention given to everyday use," says Oliver Heilner, who is credited with the cabin layout. "We wanted a car you could enter without difficulty and feel comfortable in over long journeys."

Among the steps to ensure a large door opening is the adoption of frameless doors.

"There was a compromise with conventional doors because the frame robbed valuable space along the top edge," Heilner said.

Inside, there's a luxuriously trimmed interior that draws heavily on the architectural look established on the new 7-series. The tall, 10-window greenhouse provides ample headroom, even in back where the roofline plunges dramatically. There's sufficient legroom in back to allow the 5-series GT to be used as a chauffeur-driven limousine.

The front seats have been elevated by 2.4 inches over those in the 5-sereis sedan, with the crucial H-point (the height of the hip above the ground) put at 22.6 inches. Still, it's a good 6.2 inches lower than the X6.

The concept bound for Geneva boasts a businesslike interior with four seats. However, production versions of the new BMW will get a bench rear seat to hold three people.

To help improve cabin refinement, BMW has provided the 5-series GT with a partition between the rear seat and the trunk.

"This helps isolate any noise emanating from the rear," says Heilner.

The rear seats fold flat to increase cargo space.

Early 5-series GT models are likely to offer a choice between the 272-hp naturally aspirated and an updated 326-hp twin-turbo version of BMW's 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine, along with a 407-hp turbocharged 4.4-liter V8. Also planned are 245-hp single turbo and 286-hp twin-turbo versions of its 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder common-rail diesel. Gearbox choices will include a standard six-speed manual on the base gasoline and diesel engines, with a newly developed eight-speed automatic on the others. Other engines will follow. Just don't expect a 507-hp 5.0-liter V10 GT-M5 version anytime soon.

As part of BMW's EfficientDynamics program, features such as start/stop and regenerative braking will come standard. Also being readied for the 5-series GT is the first stage in BMW's new thermal-electric generator technology.

Expect a standard steel spring setup on lower-end models, with an air suspension on high-end models. Active damping control will be standard.

Both active front steering and BMW's new active rear steering--introduced on the 7-series--will be available.

Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...paign_id=alerts

bmw_pas_1280_12_580.jpg

Oh I get it! Hatchbacks are cool again! If only GM were ahead of the curve and had the foresight to offer something cool like a hatchback! BMW is truely ground breaking! I bet it'll even have that neato wiz-bang column shift that my grandmother's 2007 7-series does. Now GM has to play catch up again! {/smk]

Chevy.%20Malibu%20Max.jpg

saturn-astra-2008-11.jpg

It's not luxury I guess but...

I mean hell, this is just a tall-ish wagon, Mercedes and BMW have been making wagons for years....and Audi.

There's also the CTS wagon...

Yeah, but those are wagons. This is a 5dr hatchback. Like the old Rover SD1. Or Ford Sierra (Merkur Scorpio).

something is wrong at BMW. First the Z4 looks terrible in pictures. the X6 is a disaster. the 7 has had a remake that is one half detail remake and the other half regression to older much more conservative themes. then Bangle quit.

this thing. I don't understand. I thought they understand shapes. the flow, the beauty, proportions. this is weird. the thing is, hatches are the future. as we get slowly conditioned through the release of more attractive crossovers, it will become a marketing mantra that consumers will be introduced to hatches like the crossovers have. design will be the key differentiation between future and past, hatches will become sexier and more inventive. as people increasingly desire practicality from all cars.

but this has no sexiness. maybe real life will save the Z4 and this car. it didn't save the X6 though.

something is wrong at BMW. First the Z4 looks terrible in pictures. the X6 is a disaster. the 7 has had a remake that is one half detail remake and the other half regression to older much more conservative themes. then Bangle quit.

this thing. I don't understand. I thought they understand shapes. the flow, the beauty, proportions. this is weird. the thing is, hatches are the future. as we get slowly conditioned through the release of more attractive crossovers, it will become a marketing mantra that consumers will be introduced to hatches like the crossovers have. design will be the key differentiation between future and past, hatches will become sexier and more inventive. as people increasingly desire practicality from all cars.

but this has no sexiness. maybe real life will save the Z4 and this car. it didn't save the X6 though.

BMW hasn't had an understanding for lines and shapes in years. Have you looked at the 3-Series? The details get are screewed upw ith that car...panel seem don't meet with each other but instead are like 5 inches part.

The vertical part of the hatch sort of looks like the tailgate of the 1st gen X5... it would look sexy if it were a few inches lower and sleeker...but this is intentionally tall and practical...they are doing the same high H point thing Ford did with the Five Hundred, Taurus, etc.

So it's got a little more headroom? I'm not really seeing how a slightly higher and more awkward roof angle gives it such a huge distinction from a wagon.

Technically anything with a "hatch" is a hatchback anyway. :P

Yes, but a 5dr hatchback has always been considered a distinct bodystyle from a wagon...wagons have a more vertical rear window and a longer roof, while a hatchback has a longer, more sloped rear window. Think of the 5dr Vectra vs a Vectra wagon. or a Focus 5dr vs. a Focus wagon.

(I've never heard of anyone confusing wagons with hatchbacks)

Edited by moltar

Yes, but a 5dr hatchback has always been considered a distinct bodystyle from a wagon...wagons have a more vertical rear window and a longer roof, while a hatchback has a longer, more sloped rear window. Think of the 5dr Vectra vs a Vectra wagon. or a Focus 5dr vs. a Focus wagon.

So then you could call the Magnum a hatchback or a wagon? This is silly. :lol:

Dodge-Magnum-55-1024.jpg

So then you could call the Magnum a hatchback or a wagon? This is silly. :lol:

Wagon. Just like there is a Golf 5dr and a Golf (Jetta) wagon. Wagons usually have a longer rear, and are more squared off than a hatchback.

A hatchback version of the Magnum would be cool, though (with a slanted rear hatch and triangular quarter windows, something like the back of a Rover SD1).

(I've never heard of anyone confusing wagons with hatchbacks)

Well if you look at the rear of this monstrosity, the hatch itself looks more upright than teh Magnum's, and while this thing has a more violent and sloping roof line, the Magnum's roof slopes too. :P

I'm not confusing the two I just find the distinction silly because so little separates them. Now a 3 door is easy to distinction because wagons hardly ever come as 3-doors. :P

In the Golf 5-door's case it is much shorter than a normal wagon, this BMW is long like a wagon.

Well if you look at the rear of this monstrosity, the hatch itself looks more upright than teh Magnum's

Noooo..the window part of the hatch is all slopey/slanty, much more so than the Magnum. 3dr or 5dr hatchbacks often have rooflines that could be called 'fastbacks' to use the '60s vernacular. Some hatchbacks, though, like the Golf, Mazda3, Focus, etc have more vertical hatches, but have less rear bodywork than a wagon/estate.

Now a 3dr wagon (or shooting brake), is another animal all together.

Anyway I'm just giving the hatchback thing a hard time because the car itself isn't worth talking about...it's hideous. :P

Yeah, it could have been interesting if it had been lower and sleeker. For example, even though they were known for crapalicious build quality and reliability, I thought the Sterling 5dr hatchback was great looking. The Mazda6 5dr hatchback (which looks quite different from the Mazda6 wagon) looks great also, IMHO.

Yeah, it could have been interesting if it had been lower and sleeker. For example, even though they were known for crapalicious build quality and reliability, I thought the Sterling 5dr hatchback was great looking. The Mazda6 5dr hatchback (which looks quite different from the Mazda6 wagon) looks great also, IMHO.

Well yeah, the Mazda3 hatch looks different from the Mazda6 wagon...the wagon is longer and sleeker. :P

Ah, well the 6 hatch is one of those cool hatches that looks like a sedan but has much more practicality. Honestly if I were looking at a Mazda6 I would just go straight for the hatch.

I really liked that bodystyle... for GM, I think the Aura and Malibu would look great in 5dr hatchback styles..the 5dr hatch is better looking of the new Insignia bodystyles, IMHO. I've always preferred hatches to trunks in cars where their is a choice.

You just set yourself up for an pwning by Balthazar and SixtyEight.

Aren't 3-door wagons considered "shooting brakes" ? Or is that more of a euro-only term?

Either way, I really don't like this car inside or out...

I was hoping the interior would mimic the CS concept more...like the Z4 did.

And the exterior...well, it sucks, and I am ignoring the hatch, but thinking about it in terms of a sedan, I think it will look nice based on the front anyway...Unless you're looking head on and see how atrociously huge those nostrils are. Any other angle it looks fine though.

Aren't 3-door wagons considered "shooting brakes" ? Or is that more of a euro-only term?

They way I understood it was it specifically was a 3dr wagon based off of a 2dr coupe...like the Volvo P1800. It's a British term.

A conventional 3dr wagon like a '50s Chevy 210 Handyman, '64-65 Chevelle wagon, Falcon wagon, Pinto wagon, etc wouldn't be considered such.

Oh I get it! Hatchbacks are cool again! If only GM were ahead of the curve and had the foresight to offer something cool like a hatchback! BMW is truely ground breaking! I bet it'll even have that neato wiz-bang column shift that my grandmother's 2007 7-series does. Now GM has to play catch up again! {/smk]

Chevy.%20Malibu%20Max.jpg

saturn-astra-2008-11.jpg

at least the maxx and astra are nice cars

Anyone else wondering when we'll start seeing the return of 3 row wagons? (Some of the "crossovers" are pushing the line, but I'm not sure I'd call any of them a 3 row wagon yet, even if the idea is nearly the same.)

Yeah, you have to wonder..the Flex is quite close to a wagon, if it were lower in height it would definitely be one...the Freestyle/Taurus X are wagons, IMHO. The Venza is more wagonlike than ©(S) UV like...

Edited by moltar

They can try to distract us with any off-the-wall nomenclature they want, but this thing is a 5-door hatchback. It will fly in Europe, but not here. And it is ugly.

I didn't realize the original BMW 2002 came as a 3-door hatchback as well as the US-sold 2 door sedan until I went leafing through a British old-car mag the other week. It reminded me a bit of the SAAB 900 hatch that sold well here.

I quite like this, the styling, esp. from the

rear, is quite fresh for a modern $hitbox.

It's far better looking than than the X3, &

if anything it's the name that is retarded!

"Gran Turismo" for a freekin' tall-hatchback?

WTF!?

This is a GT:

2006_GTO_conceptOrange.jpg

and this:

Alfa_Romeo_Concept8C.jpg

and this:

NO-CHEATING.jpg

NOT this:

concrd80er4.jpg

the continued assault on every single segment of the market only dilutes the brand. This is what - the 5th SUV/crossover-type vehicle; enough's enough already.

You have a point, but it's Toyota that is KING of this transgression.

How many SUVs/wagons/crossover-wagons/crossover-SUVs do they

have now?

Land Cruiser

FJ Cruiser

Sequoia

4Runner

Highlander

Rav4

Avenza

Matrix

And they still have 2 pickups and a van.

And let's not forget that their Lexus brand has THREE SUVs!

LX

RX

GX

and I bet Lexus is getting an Avenza variant in typical Toyota style,

while Scion is probably going to get a crossover soon. :rolleyes:

See I love BWM, and even a complete flop from

BMW is still much better than the "finest" stuff

from Toyota. Toyota the titanic of car brands is

headed for an iceberg, and I hope it tears their

fragile inferior-low-grade-steel hull to shreds!

Edited by Sixty8panther

It's not offensive to me, doesn't mean much.... I don't HATE the

Lexus GS430 either, I still will prob. NEVER own one, unless it's

dirt cheap and the wife loves it.

On the other hand, a Dodge Magnum I would rock all day long,

or a LS7 powered '69 Olds Vista Cruiser if I really had some

$pending money on the ultimate Sports-kombi.

Edited by Sixty8panther

A grand tourer is a performance car that doesn't compromise interior comfort, so yes, this could be a GT. What REALLY doesn't make sense is that they call this a SEDAN and they call the X6 a COUPE.

Anyway, I like it somewhat, but I dislike how BMW's designs are becoming softened around the edges.

A grand tourer is a performance car that doesn't compromise interior comfort, so yes, this could be a GT.

So if I drop in an LS6 inot my Suburban and give

it a 1960s Trans Am Race Car style coilover

suspension and a set of Z-rated tires is THAT a

Gran Turismo?????

Where does this insanity stop?!?! <_<

How about a GMC Typhoon, that's WAY more

"performance" oriented than this and it has good

interior room, sois THAT a GT?

No.

I can keep listing examples too, ...like the GMC

Yukon Denali, or perhaps the Dodge Ram SRT-10?

What REALLY doesn't make sense is that they call this a SEDAN and they call the X6 a COUPE.

The whole damn world's gone mad....

VW Phaeton: not a Phaeton at all, but a FIXED ROOF 4-DOOR SEDAN

Mercedes CLS: NOT a coupe, a four door coupe is impossible

(unless it's a clown car of some sort with painted on rear door seams or a flower car)