World's Greatest cities, What do you think?

Well, as far as Europe goes, I've been to Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples, and Athens. As far as Canada goes, Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, and Montreal. That said...

(based on what I've been to)

1. New York

2. Rome

3. Florence

4. Athens

5. Vancouver

And an honorable mention to the village of San Gimignano, Italy. Extremely beautiful.

Europe: Lisbon, Portugal (by a long shot)...over anything in my ancestral Italy

North America: Montreal, Canada

South America: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Asia: never been...some curiosity to see (a) Tokyo and (b) Hong Kong, but not likely

Oceania/Australia: never been...and the thought of sharks, salt water crocs, bizarre snakes, and being cooped up in a 747 for 14 hours to get there make the trip unlikely

Edited by trinacriabob

Come to think of it, I haven't really been to any big cities. Went to Toronto when I was small and I've been to Detroit many times. Also went to Niagara Falls. Went to Orlando, but only for the theme parks and stuff. Myrtle Beach was really nice.

Most of our vacations have been to more relaxing places rather than big city adventures. I've toured much of Michigan for example and have been to most of the larger cities here (Detroit, Flint, Lansing, Traverse City, Grand Rapids, Marquette, Mt. Clemens, Ann Arbor, etc.). I've been to NC/SC, WV, TN, FL, and others but nothing super exciting.

Let's see, outside the US, I've spent time in London, Paris, Rome, Milan, Turin, as well as smaller cities and towns like Venice, Sorrento, Pisa, Positano, Stresa, Florence in Italy, Locarno (Switzerland) and Oxford, Cambridge, Dover, Bath in England.

In Canada, I've only been to Toronto...want to see Vancouver and Montreal eventually.

Hard to pick a favourite, though I've always enjoyed London (so much to see and do) and Paris.

Lots more places to see---I want to travel throughout Europe, and eventually, Hong Kong, Australia, and New Zealand.

Edited by moltar

Europe: Lisbon, Portugal (by a long shot)...over anything in my ancestral Italy

But of course! We rule! :P

My favourite city is Gothenburg, Sweden. That might change once I go to Stockholm. The key here is tall, blonde, blue eyed women :AH-HA_wink:

But of course! We rule! :P

My favourite city is Gothenburg, Sweden. That might change once I go to Stockholm. The key here is tall, blonde, blue eyed women :AH-HA_wink:

Gothenburg is on my to-do list...a good friend from grad school is a professor at Chalmers U. in Gothenburg, we've stayed in touch over the years, want to go visit sometime.

Gothenburg is on my to-do list...a good friend from grad school is a professor at Chalmers U. in Gothenburg, we've stayed in touch over the years, want to go visit sometime.

Go for it. Nice, quiet, organized in that Nordic kind of way.

Appleton has changed a lot in the last 30 years. Before the Fox River Mall all the big department stores were downtown. Now it is a lot of other things. More bars than anything else.

Appleton has changed a lot in the last 30 years. Before the Fox River Mall all the big department stores were downtown. Now it is a lot of other things. More bars than anything else.

I was just up there for the grand opening of the new BioLife about a month ago. It seemed like a decent enough town...the main drag through downtown had a lot of neat old buildings.

There are a few of them that date back to the 1800's. Saturday nights are VERY active with all of the bars and clubs in full swing. The police are ever present so things dont tend to get too out of hand.

Go for it. Nice, quiet, organized in that Nordic kind of way.

I don't know what it is with Mediterranean men and blonde "poon."

My Dad, now deceased, would have used the words "cold, aloof and unemotive." He didn't care much for Northern Europe and said the most attractive women were right in our own country, or in adjacent ones (I think he meant France).

I don't know what it is with Mediterranean men and blonde "poon."

My Dad, now deceased, would have used the words "cold, aloof and unemotive." He didn't care much for Northern Europe and said the most attractive women were right in our own country, or in adjacent ones (I think he meant France).

My blonde, blue eyed wife, doesn't agree with your ASSessment. :smilewide:

My blonde, blue eyed wife, doesn't agree with your ASSessment. :smilewide:

It was my Dad's assessment ... and he was street-smart beyond belief. I happened to note later in my life that many of his calls were pretty good...even though he and I were too similar to get along effectively.

To be fair, I've never traveled west of Alabama.

I've been near Alabama. Being near that hellhole is enough for me. My travels outside the U.S. are limited to some time in Canada, nothing great, nothing horrible, and a week in Mexico. Mexico has some beautiful beaches. But inside the U.S. I've been around a bit, but only 3 cities really stand out in my mind. In reverse order:

3. Washington D.C. (I'm a huge history nerd)

2. New Orleans (Gorgeous city, very vibrant)

1. Chicago (The only city that matters)

I've also been to some pretty terrible places, so here is my list of the worst places in America:

The entire state of Illinois outside of Chicago

The entire state of Iowa

The entire state of Nebraska

The entire state of Indiana outside of Indianapolis

The states of Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia and Arkansas

Special mention to the cities of Flint, MI and Detroit. There is nothing like constantly ducking and wondering if your Kevlar vest needs its own Kevlar vest.