Official: Saturn is Dead, Pontiac is a Ghost

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I could find a youtube video with Intrepids doing burnouts...it's almost as cool as RWD burnouts. :P

FWD EXCITEMENT!!!!

Actually the Interpid is a pretty good car, jokes aside I drove one with a 3.5 when I got my Impala and considered buying it (but I am a GM man even though I liked the Mopar) and I like the 300M's and Bonneville SLE/SSEi's at the time but they were both out of my budget.

Edited by gm4life

I'm ashamed of you gm4life...no joke about the 2.7's blowing up? WHERE'S THE EXCITEMENT!??!?!?!?! :P

It's all in good fun..a little laughing never hurt anyone.

Also you forgot the Shadow, and BV's dead Quad 4 Pontiac. :lol:

No I thought about it but Dodge offered a great SOHC 3.5L V6 so and the neat manumatic shifting I couldn't bring myself to do it. If it was a Toyota I sure could have. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by gm4life

Actually the Interpid is a pretty good car, jokes aside I drove one with a 3.5 when I got my Impala and considered buying it and I like the 300M's and Bonneville SLE/SSEi's at the time but they were both out of my budget.

I like Bonnevilles too dude...it's all in good fun. With all the bad news it's nice to have a laugh once in a while.

I like Bonnevilles too dude...it's all in good fun. With all the bad news it's nice to have a laugh once in a while.

I think I have "whored" enough for one night. I can't wait to see what said about my granny gold Impala with a bench seat. Yeah I know your a good guy DF don't always agree but at least you have a good taste in Domestic cars, and want whats best for GM. Ever wonder how a guy with the name of Dodgefan became a mod on a GM car site? :mind-blowing: I think its ironic but I like yah anyways. When you getting one of those late model 300M's or Challengers you always talk about...

And now back on topic to what boring Pontiac's? Or dead Saturn's? :sign0200:

I think I have "whored" enough for one night. I can't wait to see what said about my granny gold Impala with a bench seat. Yeah I know your a good guy DF don't always agree but at least you have a good taste in Domestic cars, and want whats best for GM. Ever wonder how a guy with the name of Dodgefan became a mod on a GM car site? :mind-blowing: I think its ironic but I like yah anyways. When you getting one of those late model 300M's or Challengers you always talk about...

And now back on topic to what boring Pontiac's? Or dead Saturn's? :sign0200:

Well that's not ironic, we have Honda fans here too, what is ironic is that a Mopar fan is an admin of a GM site. My master plan is working, excellent...

muhahahahaha

:P

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah and it is a 3.5L V6 good motor tho. I would post an GXP or SSEi movie or link but I am too lazy. I just realized your car has a 2.7 when a 3.5 was optional and my SLE had a 3.8 when a 4.6 was optional. :mind-blowing: I should have got a GXP except my wife said it was too much power for me and I couldn't find one without a sunroof! (I can barely duck into mine w/o as as it is!) You know who won that battle, when my son gets it someday (keeps it for a classic no doubt, last year of the Bonneville) he says he drop a N* in it with some mods, but he will chicken out and just do a few things. I doubt a FWD 2005 Bonneville SLE will ever be worth a crap-load of cash someday though. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by gm4life

Well that's not ironic, we have Honda fans here too, what is ironic is that a Mopar fan is an admin of a GM site. My master plan is working, excellent...

muhahahahaha

:P

I know instead of wanting a G8 or a Camaro you'll have me dreaming of Challenger R/T's with chrome wheels and Charger R/T's in sublime green. No I don't think your evil just crazy, and I am nuts too. Who isn't that posts around here? Or lives, eats, sleeps, and dreams domestic cars. As for the Honda fanboys no problem Honda actually makes a better looking and driving car than Toyota, you know like the new Insight vs. the Prius? Now the Toyopets around I have a slight problem with. I think owning those evil and ugly cars that are as bland as vanila will catch up with them, pay-back is a bitch they tell me. Christ DF your keeping me up, I have to go to bed!

i plan to put a 3.5 in my car smeday.

Of course I've also heard of V8 conversions and even RWD conversions done to these things...now that's EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!

...and expensive, and a little crazy. :P

Your really putting in a 3.5 if so that would be a sweet project, and some of those sweet R/T style chrome wheels? Right? :scratchchin: You certainly can spend money just like me. I still want one of these...> :camarosmile:

Your really putting in a 3.5 if so that would be a sweet project, and some of those sweet R/T style chrome wheels? Right? :scratchchin: You certainly can spend money just like me. I still want one of these...> :camarosmile:

My plan wheels wise is a set of 18's from the Avenger...I never cared for most of the Intrepid wheel styles.

e159_1.jpg

I wish GM4life's posts were in the actual EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!! thread. :unsure:

Okay, so you mean with bold letters? My pictures were exciting enough at least of Pontiac's. :suburban: Look at my PONTIAC EXCITEMENT PASS IT ON if you need any clues... :thumbsup::cheers:

Edited by gm4life

Before I finally get some sleep, I'll leave this thread on a more serious note.

Regarding Pontiac: I don't see much hope for teh brand, and here's why. Of all the products they have, the only ones viable for not competing with other GM vehicles are the G8, Solstice, and G6 coupe and convertible.

• G8: Excellent car, the best Pontiac has had in decades. It can go toe to toe with other cars in its segment and win. The problem is that GM seems hell bent on killing off the last of the Zetas, regardless of how much better the platform is than 90% of what GM has for other platforms.
  • Solstice: With Saturn confirmed for the chopping block, this would leave the Solstice to be the only small roadster/targa in the GM lineup. Problem is that there is no replacement for the Kappas planned, and the current car has flaws that have yet to be addressed (interior, folding top mechanism.)
  • G6: The coupe and sedan have no direct competitors in GM's stable, and few competitors from other companies. However, what few there exist, are mostly better products. The G6 convertible has comparatively poor crash test results, and like all G6's has a crappy interior. The coupe is no where near as refined as the Accord coupe. Both coupe and vert look dated, and would need a lot of money to fix their flaws....money which GM doesn't have and/or isn't willing to spend on Pontiac.

So those are my thoughts.

I find it funny people talking down Pontiac, not that they are so exciting but there not as bad you all make them out to be. I find it ironic this is coming from a Prius and Jetta owner as well. At least my cars have the over 4 cylinders.

Whoopty-doo, you also paid like half sticker and cost GM thousands of dollars.

And thats the most childish thing ever, its seriously like a 3rd grader's reotort.

3rd Grader: You called me dumb....but.....my dad can beat up your dad

gm4life: You mocked my favorite brand's longtime tag line....so.....I'm going to put an arbitrary minimum on the number of cylinders your car has to have in order to be considered a "car guy."

And just for the record, the LeSabre currently has 16 cylinders, its just that none of them are actually in the car at the moment.

>>"They're an everyman brand, 1/2 a step up from Chevy and you could buy a couple of them with really big motors that the Chevy's didn't get. With the exception of some varieties of F-body and the Fiero, there was nothing at Pontiac that you couldn't buy at your local Chevy/Olds/Buick dealer with the same or better performance."<<

This has been true at a certain time (like recent memory fading back into the mists of time), and completely false at another. Since you mentioned 'big motors Chevy didn't get', it sure sounds like you are referring to a time when there was divisional engineering & proprietory engines, which would indicate the latter for the most part. The Beginning of the End for Pontiac was, really, 1979.

Considering I was less than 1 year old for 90% of 1979, do you really blame me for feeling the way I do about Pontiac?

You seriously think that Cadillac is only 1/2 a step above Chevy? My point is, Pontiacs, for the most part, are no more special than Chevys.

From engineering standpoint.. YES.

Especially now that they're becoming corporate again (Theta, coroporate V6 with no unique identity OR power, possible Epsilon, etc.)

How long until the pundits start saying "GM doesn't need Cadillac..." Hell, they're already shamelessly begging GM to get rid of Buick and GMC (in record time)

The G6 is majorly outclassed by the Aura and Malibu.

Of course it is...

The Sky has a nicer interior than the Solstice.

It also sells for more.

but you know what? All of that is ok. It's just that Pontiac isn't the performance brand everyone wants it to be.... and it never was.

It was in the 60s and 70s..

Besides, part of marketing a brand is image. Pontiac's image (to those of us who admire the brand) isn't totally performance driven and never has been. But then, not everyone knows the history like some of us here do. *shrugs*

So what IS your idea of a performance brand? An >AFFORDABLE< mass market performance brand?

Any car from any company in the world, off the shelf with no modifications other than U.S. spec engines, here would be my Pontiac lineup of Affordable Performance.

Mini-Cooper S (Sunbird)

Opel Astra OPC, Sedan/Hatch/5-door/Twintop (Sunfire)

Alfa Romeo 159 Sedan/Wagon (Alpha platform anyone?) (Grand Am)

Pontiac G8 sedan, coupe, wagon, ute (renamed Grand Prix)

There isn't a current full size out there that I can think of for a Bonneville, but a LWB Zeta with appropriate upgrades would do nicely.

Saturn Sky (Solstice)

Whoopty-doo, you also paid like half sticker and cost GM thousands of dollars.

And thats the most childish thing ever, its seriously like a 3rd grader's reotort.

3rd Grader: You called me dumb....but.....my dad can beat up your dad

gm4life: You mocked my favorite brand's longtime tag line....so.....I'm going to put an arbitrary minimum on the number of cylinders your car has to have in order to be considered a "car guy."

And just for the record, the LeSabre currently has 16 cylinders, its just that none of them are actually in the car at the moment.

For my response to question, your on a GM FORUM what do you expect people to say Satty? Some of your comments on "real cars" aren't real informed either.

As for how much I have paid for my cars, I never over-pay lets but it that way. My last car I did get a really good deal on with GM rebates and applied to invoice (extra dealer cash applied then) along with my 2,000 off my GM card. So no I didn't overpay. As for my SLE I got that as a pre-owned GM car with only 3,800 miles on it and yes saved 11,000 off of sticker. As for my Impala I got that new and paid 2,000 off of sticker. So I don't consider what I am doing stealing from GM, actually I am supporting them buy getting cars from them and using GM parts on my cars. :AH-HA_wink:

I never called you dumb I think I found it ironic, making fun of some semi-boring Pontiac products, when you have a PRIUS.

Go ahead, son if your going get into a piss'n match with me over what makes a "car guy", I dare say your Prius isn't it. More like an Al Gore car. :rotflmao:

I never mentioned your fun to drive Mini or cool old Buick in it. Just your Toyota. :twocents:

Satty never was anything personal with you I just really dislike Toyota products and especailly the Prius, I was happy to hear you got a cool new Mini and a sweet old Buick too. ^_^

Edited by gm4life

GM4Life, in fairness, we have a Toyota bashing thread going on in the Lounge and Satty is participating in that as well.

Maybe our sense of humor and yours is not compatible, which is ok.

No I understand most people's sense of humor around here, just never could figure Satty out. :confused0071:

Yeah, but I dont recall Toyota, Kia, or Ford ever using any form of the word "exciting" or any synonyms for the word "exciting" in their advertising.

I know but hell it suckered me into not one, not two, not three, not four, but five Pontiac's so it must have worked. Rather than the lame we our car &#036;h&#33;, I want the old we build excitement back.

Yeah, but I dont recall Toyota, Kia, or Ford ever using any form of the word "exciting" or any synonyms for the word "exciting" in their advertising.

I'm sorry but that was pure OWN3AGE. :lol:

CadillacKing makes a point though: Satty is in the Toyota thread making fun of Toyotas with us. I'm thinking of starting a Chrysler thread and seeing how the carnage goes...I bet it could get up to page 20 in a day. :P

I'm sorry but that was pure OWN3AGE. :lol:

CadillacKing makes a point though: Satty is in the Toyota thread making fun of Toyotas with us. I'm thinking of starting a Chrysler thread and seeing how the carnage goes...I bet it could get up to page 20 in a day. :P

I understand that. As for a Chrysler thread I think it would be hard to get that far since they have some really neat products now. In a Toyota thread around here that is very easy.