GM reveals production Cadillac CTS Coupe in Viability Plan

Intrepidation

cadillacctscoupefirstlooklead.jpg

Earlier today, General Motors presented its Viability Plan to the U.S. Treasury Department, outlining how GM plans to restructure, what it needs to turn around the company and how it plans to spend our tax dollars. If you took the time to look through the 117 page document (we're guessing not many), you might have caught a few interesting peaks into GM's future, including the first photo of the production Cadillac CTS Coupe. Prior to this, we've only been able to speculate on the final form from the various spy photos we've seen and the concept unveiled last year. The document also gives a few other details, including that production will start in 2010 and that at least one powertrain combination will be the 3.6L V6 mated to a six-speed automatic.

Along with the CTS Coupe, the Viability Plan provides a look at GM's medium and long term plans. According to the document, a dry, dual-clutch transmission, a new range of four-cylinder gas engines, and additional extended range vehicles such as the Opel Ampera and Cadillac Converj are in the works for 2012, while a fuel cell and third generation hybrid system are planned for 2015. More details can be found on page 22 of the GM Viability Plan.

Source: Autoblog

it just looks awful from this angle. i don't believe that's how i will feel once i've seen the whole car, from better perspectives, and hopefully with better detailing and mroe upscale wheels. this has to be a base model. the wheels while nicely decent designs are dwarfed by the slab of metal at the rear. the black background of the grille is completly out of place, and the xm antenna is crude. i'm sure i will like this more, even a little bit, once i see the full car. i don't like it in this angle and with gm's typically substandard photography. this angle makes the rear look unfinished.

I'm disappointed though not surprised that it isn't a hardtop, but then the E-Class coupe is a hardtop with a fixed window :stupid:

This is indeed a bad angle but besides the b-pillar looks just like the concept...which is to say 10x better looking than Mercedes new coupe.

0001ctscoupe.jpg

This photo's even got the B-pillar.

*scratching my head*

What is it with people and their love for cars they can hardly see out of?

THANK YOU! i have wondered that myself, over and over. By the way the photo that dodgefan posted is the best!

Call me old but i really think the car would benefit from a shorter greenhouse, longer deck, and lower hood.

97_Cadillac_Eldorado_rear.jpg

97_cadillac_eldorado-2.jpg

i would love to see someone photochop dodgefans posted pic, with a less hatchbacky deck and a smaller greenhouse and lower 90's style hood.

the g8 has a low hood and a longer deck and it looks quite dashing.

one thing about the long greenhouse though....the cts wagon, sedan, and coupe all have very similar side glass cuts (divided up differently for doors etc). the car in any config is recognizable as 'CTS'.....so i suppose any way you meat slice it, the car is instantly recognizable as a CTS from seeing the c pillar cut on the side glass.

Edited by regfootball

THANK YOU! i have wondered that myself, over and over. By the way the photo that dodgefan posted is the best!

Call me old but i really think the car would benefit from a shorter greenhouse, longer deck, and lower hood.

i would love to see someone photochop dodgefans posted pic, with a less hatchbacky deck and a smaller greenhouse and lower 90's style hood.

one thing about the long greenhouse though....the cts wagon, sedan, and coupe all have very similar side glass cuts (divided up differently for doors etc). the car in any config is recognizable as 'CTS'.....so i suppose any way you meat slice it, the car is instantly recognizable as a CTS from seeing the c pillar cut on the side glass.

Well, the Eldo was a much bigger car...the CTS coupe is definitely NOT an Eldorado revival. It is interesting to contrast design trends and surfaces from about 18 years apart, though (since the last Eldorado dates from MY 92).

Edited by moltar

97_cadillac_eldorado-2.jpg

No, those older cars were great. I never warmed up to the rigid angularity of the rear quarter window versus the better flow of the backlite on that Eldo. It seems like the early 90s Rivs and Toros had worked in better looking greenhouses.

Exactly, you all know I was lukewarm on the G8, largely because the last GP should have picked up more user-friendly styling cues in the front end and its roofline and then sold like hot cakes (like Taurus when first released). However, they missed the boat on more sales for 04-08 GP for these faux pas, so yes, the G8 is a showcase of good, timeless, proportionate, user-friendly styling and packaging. The proportions of hood/greenhouse/rear deck are excellent.

Edited by trinacriabob

Not my cup of tea at all. The plain sides, tiny windows, high stubby rear end and overwrought styling spell low sales volume to me. And expensive coupes really aren't selling these days.

Quote: No, those older cars were great. I never warmed up to the rigid angularity of the rear quarter window versus the better flow of the backlite on that Eldo. It seems like the early 90s Rivs and Toros had worked in better looking greenhouses.

Agreed! That was when cars still had some style to them and you could tell them apart. Many of todays cars have lost me on the bloated generic plain shapes with those sily tiny windows and stubby tail ends and hoods. No wonder so many of todays cars feel confined to me and don't have much in the way of trunk space.

cadillacctscoupefirstlooklead.jpg

Earlier today, General Motors presented its Viability Plan to the U.S. Treasury Department, outlining how GM plans to restructure, what it needs to turn around the company and how it plans to spend our tax dollars. If you took the time to look through the 117 page document (we're guessing not many), you might have caught a few interesting peaks into GM's future, including the first photo of the production Cadillac CTS Coupe. Prior to this, we've only been able to speculate on the final form from the various spy photos we've seen and the concept unveiled last year. The document also gives a few other details, including that production will start in 2010 and that at least one powertrain combination will be the 3.6L V6 mated to a six-speed automatic.

Along with the CTS Coupe, the Viability Plan provides a look at GM's medium and long term plans. According to the document, a dry, dual-clutch transmission, a new range of four-cylinder gas engines, and additional extended range vehicles such as the Opel Ampera and Cadillac Converj are in the works for 2012, while a fuel cell and third generation hybrid system are planned for 2015. More details can be found on page 22 of the GM Viability Plan.

Source: Autoblog

I hate this car so much. This rear end of this car is ridiculously high. All GM needs to do is look at the Converj concept to see how this car could be fixed.

If Cadillac builds this thing, it will be a huge waste of taxpayer money. This car is FUGLY.

--------------------------------------------

PLEASE STOP THIS CALLING IT A WASTE OF TAX PAYERS MONEY!!!

The Rich Theives called Bankers / Financial companies have stolen and are wasting Taxpayers money and have NO OBLIGATION to pay it back!!!

THESE are LOANS that will be PAID BACK and as such, will be up to them based on the guidlines of the loans to use to hopefully rescue our American Auto Companies.

In regards to this CTS Coupe, I have to say that the Photo would appear to be a base model and will sell very well to couples and single men and woman who want to get a foot hold into the luxury segment. The mid level and upper level versions will be hot. Especially once people start to customize the Auto. I can see some Great versions coming to Sema this Fall.

:smilies-38096:

I hate this car so much. This rear end of this car is ridiculously high. All GM needs to do is look at the Converj concept to see how this car could be fixed.

If Cadillac builds this thing, it will be a huge waste of taxpayer money. This car is FUGLY.

That's your opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean lots of other people don't, and that doesn't make it a wast eof anyone's money.

That's your opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean lots of other people don't, and that doesn't make it a wast eof anyone's money.

It's a waste of money because for starters its a large coupe. There isnt a huge market for LARGE coupes. If it were a smaller vehicle the coupe aspect would make more sense. Also, while the styling is objectionable, this car can't compare to the beauty of the CTS Sedan. Why would someone chose this over the sedan? So yes, it is a waste of money to develop and market this thing. Other projects at GM need the money more.

A lot of people say they like this ugly thing but how many of them would actually buy it? Do you have your checkbook out? or are you just saying they should build it because you like it? If its so great, go put a deposit down.

IMO this car should never be built.

It's a waste of money because for starters its a large coupe. There isnt a huge market for LARGE coupes. If it were a smaller vehicle the coupe aspect would make more sense. Also, while the styling is objectionable, this car can't compare to the beauty of the CTS Sedan.

Why would you think it's a 'large' coupe? It's shorter than the CTS sedan, which is a midsize model. This is a relatively small coupe.

It's a waste of money because for starters its a large coupe. There isnt a huge market for LARGE coupes. If it were a smaller vehicle the coupe aspect would make more sense. Also, while the styling is objectionable, this car can't compare to the beauty of the CTS Sedan. Why would someone chose this over the sedan? So yes, it is a waste of money to develop and market this thing. Other projects at GM need the money more.

A lot of people say they like this ugly thing but how many of them would actually buy it? Do you have your checkbook out? or are you just saying they should build it because you like it? If its so great, go put a deposit down.

Maybe because, ZOMG some people actually prefer the styling o the coupe. What you and several others on this board fail to realize when making posts like this is that your opinion is not fact, and nor is it always he opinion of the majority of others (such as in this case).

Also, the Challenger is a large coupe, if anything is is closer to midsize.

Why would you think it's a 'large' coupe? It's shorter than the CTS sedan, which is a midsize model. This is a relatively small coupe.

You are speaking in GM sizes which don't conform to reality. The CTS is a full size vehicle and thus a large vehicle. Not by any stretch is the CTS in the same size range as a BMS 3 series or even the Chevy Malibu. I highly doubt that the Coupe is more than a couple of inches shorter than the sedan.

You are speaking in GM sizes which don't conform to reality. The CTS is a full size vehicle and thus a large vehicle. Not by any stretch is the CTS in the same size range as a BMS 3 series or even the Chevy Malibu. I highly doubt that the Coupe is more than a couple of inches shorter than the sedan.

The BMW 3-Series isn't by any stretch a midsize car.

No one ever said the CTS was 3-series sized. The CTS is slightly shorter than the Malibu. Your facts are invalid, you are just being argumentative.

No one ever said the CTS was 3-series sized. The CTS is slightly shorter than the Malibu. Your facts are invalid, you are just being argumentative.

The Malibu is 2 and a half inches less wide, an inch short and barely 2 tenths of an inch longer than the Cadillac. I would say I am absolutely correct in my assertion that the CTS is the larger car. You are INVALID and argumentative.

Edited by SoCalCTS

The Malibu is 2 and a half inches less wide, an inch short and barely 2 tenths of an inch longer than the Cadillac. I would say I am absolutely correct in my assertion that the CTS is the larger car. You are INVALID and argumentative.

So? It's wider..a Cadillac should be wider than a Chevy.

What is your point??? The CTS was never intended to be a 3-series sized compact. It's price competitive with the 3, not size competitive.

The CTS is a midsize, not remotely a 'large' car.

Edited by moltar

And you are one of those people who believe their opinions are fact, your incorrect facts to be true, and never admit when they are wrong.

I would have to check dimensions to see if what you claim is true but 1.) 2 inches wider does not a large car make. 2) The Epsilons are known for being on the narrow side.

You're entitled to your own opinions, you're not entitled to your own facts.

The CTS is in the same size range as the 6-series and Mercedes coupes. I doubt GM has any dreams of selling 50k of these a year, but if they want Cadillac to be a global player, they need the global body styles.

A CTS is on my shopping list, a CTS coupe would be even higher. I've owned a CTS before, it's not unlikely that I will again.

And in that sentence lies one of GM's issues...

BTW, I am voting against the current here. I like the CTS coupe.

I love the CTS coupe myself as well.

My Wife and I have a CTS and are planning on retiring it as we have the Escalade ESV for hauling family and friends, she wants something more fun to drive for her and I to be in and the Coupe I love more than the 4 door sedan. This is on my list of Auto's to shop for.

I suspect that SoCalCTS had underestimated the demand for a coupe in the mid size category. My grandfather who has always driven Cadillacs still has his Eldorado and loves it. I showed him the photo's of this and loved it and said it will finally make him trade in his Eldorado as he would like an American Luxury mid size coupe, but there has not been anything and he refuses to support German or Asian companies. He has already gone and put his name on the purchase list at his local Caddy dealership in CA where he lives.

This car will sell well to the coupe crowd. :D

It's a waste of money because for starters its a large coupe. There isnt a huge market for LARGE coupes.

But there is a market.

If it were a smaller vehicle the coupe aspect would make more sense. Also, while the styling is objectionable, this car can't compare to the beauty of the CTS Sedan. Why would someone chose this over the sedan?

ALLL..... subjective.....

So yes, it is a waste of money to develop and market this thing. Other projects at GM need the money more.

It's done and it needs to come to market...

Typical liberal... Limiting choice and freedom, while pushing his opinion on all of us. (Opinions suck, right?)

[go ahead, ban me :D]

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The CTS Coupe looks SUPERB! It will replace my '08 CTS-4 Sedan when it goes on sale! It will be a perfect size for a Coupe. Hopefully, it will be called the "CTC" rather than CTS Coupe. The protruding "V" of the trunk will be tasteful and classy, in the spirit of the '67-'70 Eldorados. It's just what a Cadillac should do--lead the way in styling! :smilies-38096: