Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Member55

New 3.5 L engine and A6 transmission...

8 posts in this topic

New 3.5-liter V-6 engine to power one in five Ford vehicles by the end of the decade – including the new Ford Edge and Lincoln Aviator crossover utility vehicles next year
Ford leads the way with a new 6-speed automatic transaxle that saves fuel – up to 7 percent in highway driving and nearly two tanks of gas a year compared with typical 4-speed automatics
Work begins on Ford’s third-generation hybrid technology for future I-4 and V-6 engines
Ford’s hybrid leadership continues with the debut of Escape Hybrid taxis in New York City
DEARBORN, Mich. Nov. 9, 2005 – Building on its promise to make innovation the compass that sets the company’s future direction, Ford today unveiled a new engine, new 6-speed automatic transaxle and more hybrid plans that bring fuel economy and performance to the next generation of vehicles.
“As Bill Ford has promised, Ford plans to be first in delivering innovative products to our customers – products that are stylish in design, safer for families, first in technology with new fuels and better efficiency, and first in offering new services to consumers,” says Derrick Kuzak, Ford group vice president, Product Development. “That commitment includes innovation in the powertrain lineup that we’ll be offering beginning next year.”

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?...4&make_id=trust

i would hardly call a good 3.5 litre v6 innovative since Nissan has done this since 2002 why doesn't this new duratec have continuously variable intake and exhaust cam timing? why not direct injection? why only 250hp and 240 torque? Ford should have said f*k it and just bought engines from Nissan Edited by regfootball

i would hardly call a good 3.5 litre v6 innovative since Nissan has done this since 2002

why doesn't this new duratec have continuously variable intake and exhaust cam timing?

why not direct injection?

why only 250hp and 240 torque?

Ford should have said f*k it and just bought engines from Nissan

Well, it is innovative for the domestics...after all, GM is still putting OHV pushrod v6s w/ 4spd automatics in their midsize cars..Ford as at least making an effort to get on par with the Japanese Big 3. And the article said it is capable of 300hp....this is a good move for Ford...hopefully the Five Hundred and other models will get it...

The Fusion already has a 6-speed automatic (compared to a 5-speed in the Camry and Accord). Edited by moltar

i would hardly call a good 3.5 litre v6 innovative since Nissan has done this since 2002

why doesn't this new duratec have continuously variable intake and exhaust cam timing?

why not direct injection?

why only 250hp and 240 torque?

Ford should have said f*k it and just bought engines from Nissan

[post="41210"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why?

The Ford 3.5 makes equal to or more power than the Nissan does, when tuned for regular gas, not premium. Also, Nissan hasn't announced the power ratings as per new SAE standards, likely because that take a good hit. DI and Turbocharged versions are planned.

Why?

The Ford 3.5 makes equal to or more power than the Nissan does, when tuned for regular gas, not premium.  Also, Nissan hasn't announced the power ratings as per new SAE standards, likely because that take a good hit.  DI and Turbocharged versions are planned.

[post="41477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

All I know is the Nissans have major balls and are as smooth as glass. Altimas and Maximas have cracked six seconds with Nissan's measly hp ratings and the regualr octane Quest van even goes like stink. Also, the Nissans reportedly get great mpg. Ford sits around on its ass for 10 years and does nothing for a mainstream v6. No wonder the domestics are in the crapper. GM, same thing.

I like my new 500, it needs more power in the low end though and some more zing up high. I like it as it is, but i suspect the market is black eyeing them for not doing the right thing and coming to market with a well rounded engine. GM was always guilty of this in the past.

Selling cars is a no excuses market. Union labor costs? So what. high development costs? So what. Find a way to get the goods under the hood if you want to stay in business. Folks now want it all....fast, smooth, reasonable mpg. And they want smooth shifting trannies.

This new engine hits in 2007 model cars. They are five years behind the curve. No excuse for one of the world's once premier automakers. Folks would never excuse pioneer or sony for not having up to date features on their newest consumer electronics. The other automakers were here 3-5 years ago. Edited by regfootball

Why?

The Ford 3.5 makes equal to or more power than the Nissan does, when tuned for regular gas, not premium.  Also, Nissan hasn't announced the power ratings as per new SAE standards, likely because that take a good hit.  DI and Turbocharged versions are planned.

[post="41477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Acutally, the power ratings for Nissan didn't change under the new SAE ratings. Toyota's went down alot in many instances, and GM's went up in some cases, but the VQ is Golden.

This is a smart move by ford, the bare bones V6 provides ample power for the range, and whenever they need a boost of power they have many options. We needs more power/fuel econony... VVT intake or exhaust need even more power/fuel econ... VVT on the remaining need even more... Direct Injection. its reallly a brilliant idea.

Acutally, the power ratings for Nissan didn't change under the new SAE ratings. Toyota's went down alot in many instances, and GM's went up in some cases, but the VQ is Golden.

[post="42799"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Can you please provide a source that says they actually tested under the new SAE standards?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0