So what did you learn today?

Satty

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:congrats: are in order, then!

The same one you had to explain the definition of "cocky" to?

Thanks ZL-1. I am excited about being a grandpa, as are my son as his wife.

DF, my daughter is 15 and she is the one in which had to explain the proper definition of cocky. :lol: Still laughing about that.

800px-DelawareMemorialBridgeFromSouth.jp

You know, posting pictures of that bridge is not good for people that suffer from gephyrophobia!! I have a very difficult time driving over the Delaware Memorial Bridge - when I went to visit the Wilmington (Kappa) Plant two years ago with my SKY I almost freaked out b/c the top was down and I was completely exposed to the bridge :mind-blowing: I will be driving over it again this week on a family trip to Washington DC... not looking forward to driving over it, and might just make my wife handle this part of the trip. Yes, I am being serious and not joking at all.

You know, posting pictures of that bridge is not good for people that suffer from gephyrophobia!! I have a very difficult time driving over the Delaware Memorial Bridge - when I went to visit the Wilmington (Kappa) Plant two years ago with my SKY I almost freaked out b/c the top was down and I was completely exposed to the bridge :mind-blowing: I will be driving over it again this week on a family trip to Washington DC... not looking forward to driving over it, and might just make my wife handle this part of the trip. Yes, I am being serious and not joking at all.

Hey GMTG, if you tense up, just remember to say 'gooosefraba'. :P

What could possibly go wrong anyway?

1_61_bridge_collapse_450.jpg

...oh right...

Not nice! Not nice at all! :lol:

Don't worry about that pic GMTG, the Mississippi River bridge that collapsed in MPLS was a steel beam bridge, the Delaware Memorial Bridge is a suspension bridge which is generally a much sturdier structure.

It's a piece of cake, you scaredy cat, I go over it all the time ...

Yes, blindfolded and handcuffed laying down in the back seat. The real reason your wife has to keep handcuffs around.:smilewide:

Nah, I love the big bridges. I like going fast, switching from lane to lane, looking for timid people with both hands on their steering wheel and their face ashen white with fear. Beep, beep, look out here comes the Bö®gÉr, all they see is my pink and purple Delaware license plate and a purple blur, as I zoom by ... :P

On a side note, my wife and I went to Cowtown one weekend a few years back, we bought some grapes and she peeled them for me and popped them in my mouth as we drove over the Delaware Memorial Bridge headed back to Delaware. I felt like Julius Caesar as my slave girl fed me grapes, bridge? What bridge? :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Haha.. you guys are real funny! It's not just high bridges that I have a fear of, any low, long bridge close to the water or narrow bridges high or low freak me out too. I hate driving to Seaside Heights (for those of you familiar) because of the narrow, tight three-lane, low-to-the-water beridge that you haev to cross :lol: Of course I drive over all of these bridges, but as PCS already pointed out, I'm the one with both handles glued at "10 & 2" on the steering wheel, head faced straight, sweating, and with an ashen-colored face. And seeing people zooming by switching lanes only further adds to the anxiety. Of course the worse bridge for me is the Delaware Memorial, and I have to set teh cruise control otherwise I'll inadvertantly slow down.

Another reason for my great fear of the Delaware Memorial - around '89 or '90 my uncle who owns a machine shop (tool & die) was contracted to repair some of the pins holding the bridge together. He showed us a video he took (I was 14 or 15 y-o at the time) of him walking on the catwalk under the bridge. To this day I have vivid images still, and I saw that video only the one time. Growing up my aunt & grandmother lived in Morrisville, PA when I wqas real young and we lived in Ewing Twp, NJ. We'd have to take a very narrow and old bridge known as the Calhoun Street Bridge to visit them, and my mom & I visited several times per week. I had nightmares about being on this bridge as it collapsed into the Delaware River - of course the dreams always exaggerated the amount of water below - and still do on occasion today (just now there are worse bridges that appear in my dreams). I've been told to seek counseling that can aid in the removal of this fear, but I feel silly as I don't tackle too many bridges in my daily travels.

Other bridges that scare me include the I-95 bridge heading toward the Philadelphia Airport outside of Philly, the Burlington-Bristol Bridge (although since I've been crossing that one quite a lot in the past 5 years since I moved and use it to go into PA a lot I'm getting better), and the Walt Whitman into Philly (Ben Franklin isn't as bad as it has higher sides that prevent me from seeing over the railing, though riding the PATCO train into Philly rides on the outside of the bridge and offers a clear view of the Delaware :mind-blowing: ). The funny thing is architectually I love bridge design. I love the Golden Gate Bridge and would love to drive over it, but my fear would prevent me from doing so (I'd rather be a passenger anyway to soak in the design as I look up!). While I have never been over it - and would probably re-route my course to avoid it if I had to go farther south - the Chesepeak Bay Bridge & Tunnel causes me great anxiety when people mention it.

I know, I need help!! :lol:

Haha.. you guys are real funny! It's not just high bridges that I have a fear of, any low, long bridge close to the water or narrow bridges high or low freak me out too. I hate driving to Seaside Heights (for those of you familiar) because of the narrow, tight three-lane, low-to-the-water beridge that you haev to cross :lol: Of course I drive over all of these bridges, but as PCS already pointed out, I'm the one with both handles glued at "10 & 2" on the steering wheel, head faced straight, sweating, and with an ashen-colored face. And seeing people zooming by switching lanes only further adds to the anxiety. Of course the worse bridge for me is the Delaware Memorial, and I have to set teh cruise control otherwise I'll inadvertantly slow down.

Another reason for my great fear of the Delaware Memorial - around '89 or '90 my uncle who owns a machine shop (tool & die) was contracted to repair some of the pins holding the bridge together. He showed us a video he took (I was 14 or 15 y-o at the time) of him walking on the catwalk under the bridge. To this day I have vivid images still, and I saw that video only the one time. Growing up my aunt & grandmother lived in Morrisville, PA when I wqas real young and we lived in Ewing Twp, NJ. We'd have to take a very narrow and old bridge known as the Calhoun Street Bridge to visit them, and my mom & I visited several times per week. I had nightmares about being on this bridge as it collapsed into the Delaware River - of course the dreams always exaggerated the amount of water below - and still do on occasion today (just now there are worse bridges that appear in my dreams). I've been told to seek counseling that can aid in the removal of this fear, but I feel silly as I don't tackle too many bridges in my daily travels.

Other bridges that scare me include the I-95 bridge heading toward the Philadelphia Airport outside of Philly, the Burlington-Bristol Bridge (although since I've been crossing that one quite a lot in the past 5 years since I moved and use it to go into PA a lot I'm getting better), and the Walt Whitman into Philly (Ben Franklin isn't as bad as it has higher sides that prevent me from seeing over the railing, though riding the PATCO train into Philly rides on the outside of the bridge and offers a clear view of the Delaware :mind-blowing: ). The funny thing is architectually I love bridge design. I love the Golden Gate Bridge and would love to drive over it, but my fear would prevent me from doing so (I'd rather be a passenger anyway to soak in the design as I look up!). While I have never been over it - and would probably re-route my course to avoid it if I had to go farther south - the Chesepeak Bay Bridge & Tunnel causes me great anxiety when people mention it.

I know, I need help!! :lol:

I changed my avatar just for you ... :P

I learned that the phrase "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth" is true. I tripped over one of my Newfies while holding my famous homemade carrot cake and it went flying into the wall.

I also learned that a homemade cream cheese icing is a bitch to get out of microfiber.

My kids and daughter in law also learned that I will throw cream cheese icing at them when they laugh at me for falling.

I learned (well I already knew but I'm using it as an excuse) that skimming over before reading the whole thing posts can have fun effects

K.C. I read your first post as "too many cocks" and the saw the word "daughter" and thought you were explaining how she became pregnant. :lol:

I learned (well I already knew but I'm using it as an excuse) that skimming over before reading the whole thing posts can have fun effects

K.C. I read your first post as "too many cocks" and the saw the word "daughter" and thought you were explaining how she became pregnant. :lol:

You youngins have a one track mind. lol Ya need to getcha some already! :P

I'm the same way a little bit, but Kelsey hated going over it.

No chore will ever suck more than changing a litter box.

• 2 months later...