I hate job hunting

Satty

But I hate my job even more. I've got an interview this afternoon, I'm hoping for the best because ongoing asininity (apparently thats a real word) at work is going to turn me into an alcoholic.

That sounds like my job, but I can't afford to drink. :(

Hell, I don't know how much longer I'll even have my job.....

Hell, I don't know how much longer I'll even have my job.....

With my current client, I either have a job for A) 4 more hours, B) 1 week, C) 1 month, or D) unknown. My current contract was originally thru the end of March. But then two weeks ago, they told me that they had no more budget and that my contract would wind down this week. The same day, my contracting house emailed me that it had been extended until July 1. The next day, they came back and said through the end of February. Last week, they revised that to through today. Yesterday, the project manager said through the end of February. Who knows. The pay keeps getting direct deposited every Friday though.

My Kwikie phone interview went really well, I should have a panel interview next week sometime.

Cool...my phone interview went well, probably will have an in-person w/ them next week. Hope to get a few more interviews in motion over the next couple of weeks.

Update: later in the afternoon, confirmed the in-person interview for Monday afternoon. Got emails from other recruiters about 2 other positions..

Edited by moltar

With my current client, I either have a job for A) 4 more hours, B) 1 week, C) 1 month, or D) unknown. My current contract was originally thru the end of March. But then two weeks ago, they told me that they had no more budget and that my contract would wind down this week. The same day, my contracting house emailed me that it had been extended until July 1. The next day, they came back and said through the end of February. Last week, they revised that to through today. Yesterday, the project manager said through the end of February. Who knows. The pay keeps getting direct deposited every Friday though.

Money is good.....

I had a technical interview Monday, with 4 people..w/ a manager, tech lead, architect, and QA lead. It went well, haven't received an offer yet. Should know before the end of the week. It's a 1 yr contract, good rate, through my same current contracting house, with a major bank...only big negative I see it's it's way out in Chandler in the East Valley, about a 25 mile drive each way.

Talked to a couple other recruiters I've used in the past, they are going to submit me to some other places..

For realEXCITEMENT, today when I left work, coming out of the parking garage, going down the ramp to the exit, I had catastrophic brake failure.....was fun limping home thru traffic with very little brakes, in a 4800lb car. Checked the master cylinder, still had plenty of brake fluid.

Edited by moltar

I've been trying to decide what to wear to my interview. I've narrowed it down to either a black shirt, a mint green one or a red one. So I sent texts out to a few people asking for advice. So far, I've had 3 replies and 3 answers. I hate my friends.

I've been trying to decide what to wear to my interview. I've narrowed it down to either a black shirt, a mint green one or a red one. So I sent texts out to a few people asking for advice. So far, I've had 3 replies and 3 answers. I hate my friends.

I guess it depends on the type of position you are interviewing for..for me, I usually always wear a suit w/ a dress shirt, tie, dress shoes. Usually a dark blue or dark gray suit w/ subtle pin stripes. Now if it's a start up company instead of a big corporate environment, I might do khakis and a button down dress shirt w/o a tie..

I just heard back from my recruiter...the client wants me, 1 yr contract, great rate. The only negative is the 50 mile round trip commute (most all freeway though).

Decisions, decisions...jump on it or start a full-scale job search..

Well, the outlook for me getting a new contract with my school district in June is very dim at this point (it is early to start panicking, as we don't have to be "officially" told until April 30th). However, the principal and union president, in separate meetings, have told the high school staff that non-tenred teachers (not me thankfully) and low-seniority holders (unfortunately, this is me in my department; even with 7 years there I still have no one below me and too many above) should start taking pro-active measures now as the school budget is projected to be $4 million short for 2009/2010. In discussions with administration and supvervisors, I've learned my job/position is "expendable". The subjects I teach are part of the elective course offerings, where many schools are cutting their budget money at (now if I only taught required academic courses like math, history, science or english!). I do not look forward to the day when pink slips are issued, especially with my name on one. Unlike some people out in the business world, there is no severance pay for teachers. Come July 1, there will be no money for me until I find new employment :mind-blowing:

I guess it depends on the type of position you are interviewing for..for me, I usually always wear a suit w/ a dress shirt, tie, dress shoes. Usually a dark blue or dark gray suit w/ subtle pin stripes. Now if it's a start up company instead of a big corporate environment, I might do khakis and a button down dress shirt w/o a tie..

I have, for lack of a better phrase, a tie fetish. I cant wear a dress shirt without a tie. Thats actually what has led to my deciding which color short to wear, I have a great tie that goes with the green shirt, but my favorite tie to pair with the black shirt is MIA. Plus its a beautiful Spring day and the minty green shirt goes very well with the season.

Roger, it sucks you're in that spot. As a last resort, could you get on as a core subject teacher (English or math maybe?) at a district thats shorthanded?

Edited by Satty

Oy, gotta go to an interview tomorrow. But it cant be a regular old interview, its a freaking panel interview, I get 3 people throwing $h! at me.

I like panel interviews... if you can ace it, it really can separate you from the weaker competition.

I have a feeling many folks here are good at thinking on their feet.

I've been sending CVs left and right for more than a month now... got only 1 interview that didn' go anywhere... to top things off, talk in town is that cutbacks at the mine will not only hit contractors but Somincor contract workers too... guess who's on a temp-to-permanent position.....

A few weeks before Christmas, as a joke, I made an expanded version of my resume that basically says I was the acting savior of all mankind between 1461 and 1997. It was rather entertaining to those who know me best. At least one company I was looking into got that version instead of the normal one. Oops.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found out today from someone high up in the union ranks that the central administration of my school district is busy preparing their list of teachers to lay-off. The bad news? The central administration will be presenting the list to the Board of Education members at this Thurday night's meeting. Once the teachers on the list have been approved by the BOE members, lay-off notices will be issued starting on Friday. Now I was not told this because my name is or isn't on the list, I just happened to be talking to this union rep about another issue yesterday and this tidbit of info was included in their response to me. So we''ll see what news Friday has to offer, and in the meantime I'm shelving the purchase of that great '87 Pontiac GP I've been wanting :mind-blowing:

Well the info/tip from the union rep was right on the money. At 1:30 PM this afternoon I was called to the principal's office where I was told that my position was eliminated from next year's budget (along with 4 other teachers) and I will be laid-off effective the end of June. The "official" paperwork will come towards the end of next month, but the "courtesy meeting" was to give me a leg up on the job hunt. So it goes...

• 2 months later...

I had a phone interview with a company in Savannah this morning. There was one awkward moment. I mentioned that I've already submitted my resignation effective July 17th and the interviewer seemed rather thrown off by this.

Some possible good news for me at work... one of my colleagues has decided to retire after 32+ years of teaching, effective on September 1st. While she's not directly a business education teacher, I do have the proper certification to teach what she was teaching (Cooperative Business Education, or Co-op for short). So that means I may not be laid-off afterall. I'm waiting to hear back from the HR boss on Monday as to how the Board of Education voted last night (on whether or not to accept the superintendent's reccommendation for me as her replacement). The job is an eleventh-month position, which starts on July 1, but with her staying on until Septmber 1 I'm not sure when I would start exactly. The tough part is now waiting until Monday to see how the BOE members voted :(

Some possible good news for me at work... one of my colleagues has decided to retire after 32+ years of teaching, effective on September 1st. While she's not directly a business education teacher, I do have the proper certification to teach what she was teaching (Cooperative Business Education, or Co-op for short). So that means I may not be laid-off afterall. I'm waiting to hear back from the HR boss on Monday as to how the Board of Education voted last night (on whether or not to accept the superintendent's reccommendation for me as her replacement). The job is an eleventh-month position, which starts on July 1, but with her staying on until Septmber 1 I'm not sure when I would start exactly. The tough part is now waiting until Monday to see how the BOE members voted :(

GOOD LUCK! I have my fingers crossed for you!

I had a technical interview Monday, with 4 people..w/ a manager, tech lead, architect, and QA lead. It went well, haven't received an offer yet. Should know before the end of the week. It's a 1 yr contract, good rate, through my same current contracting house, with a major bank...only big negative I see it's it's way out in Chandler in the East Valley, about a 25 mile drive each way.

Talked to a couple other recruiters I've used in the past, they are going to submit me to some other places..

For realEXCITEMENT, today when I left work, coming out of the parking garage, going down the ramp to the exit, I had catastrophic brake failure.....was fun limping home thru traffic with very little brakes, in a 4800lb car. Checked the master cylinder, still had plenty of brake fluid.

Happy 1000,000?

Happy 100,000?

Got the bank gig, still there, 3+ months later. Painfully boring, 50 mile round trip commute, but it pays well. Had to replace the master cylinder on the Merc 500SEL. It's got 176,xxx miles (the odometer stopped at 176k last year). Don't drive it much. My sister's other Merc (the 300CE) is in the shop now--it has a huge oil leak (loses 1 quart in less than 15 min). I may drive it to Sacramento for her once it's fixed.

Rob

Got the bank gig, still there, 3+ months later. Painfully boring, 50 mile round trip commute, but it pays well. Had to replace the master cylinder on the Merc 500SEL. It's got 176,xxx miles (the odometer stopped at 176k last year). Don't drive it much. My sister's other Merc (the 300CE) is in the shop now--it has a huge oil leak (loses 1 quart in less than 15 min). I may drive it to Sacramento for her once it's fixed.

Rob

Oh I thought it was your GC that had the brake failure (hence the 100,000 remark).

Oh I thought it was your GC that had the brake failure (hence the 100,000 remark).

Ahh...nah, it was funny, I had driven the Merc to the job interview--50 mile round trip--with no problems two days before the brakes failed. I probably need to get the rear brake pads on the Jeep replaced, though. Need to do a number of things to it this summer.

Rob