Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Large Offical 2009.5 G6 Photographs!

LMFAO... :rolleyes: Okay.... So, let me get this straight... I like the G6 coupe but not a completely different model from a completely different company and it's rampant hypocrisy?

Hypocrisy has no bearing on any of this. (Seriously, did you forget the definition?)

Better yet (to use your other common argument :yawn: ) I like a GM car just because it's a GM car on a GM board at which I post under the name FUTUREofGM... Yep... Lots of hypocrisy there!

Hmmmmm.....you prefer one car over a virtually identical one because of the badge on the hood, something you regularly lambast the media and buying public for doing......

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it matter? A sale is a sale. They don't sell fleet cars at a loss.

It matters...more consumer sales mean the product is more desirable to consumers, not fleets. The last Grand Prix was 77% fleet at one point, for example.

my gosh people, shut the f-ck up on trashing the G6.

first off, its better than the vehicles that many of you have in your own garage.

second off, its affordable. some folks still have a chance at buying this car new.

third, its a better car than many others, like for example a dodge avenger, etc.

fourth, if any of you had driven thr triplets extensively in their most recent incarnations (malibu, g6, aura) you'd find out first hand that there is minimal actual difference in terms of performance. the 09 g6 i drove earlier this year with the 2.4/6 sp was as nice a drive as the malibu and aura. none of the 3 is deficient in desirability in driving behavior (the aura and g6 are a little more stiffly sprung but hardly noticeable to most people i think). The interior environment is the main basic differences between the three and pontiac is addressing it on this update. the new radio and cc is badly needed. the rest of the interior should have been redone completely but considering GM may be ass up soon i hope you will understand the reason why its not. and hey, it has a the corvette steering wheel now.....what is lame is the g6 did not get the paddle shifters in the lower trim.....unforgivable. you want to see a cheap interior? go sit in a current altima or some lower trim levels of the current accord. the g6 interior is no better or worse than half its competition. it could stand more improvements, but its not horrible when you consider the price you can buy one for. a g6 with light leather and tan door trim etc. is actually pretty nice.

5th, yes pontiac still outsells buick. if gm kills pontiac then gm does indeed deserve to die

6, again if you drove these cars with gxp trim or 2.4/6 speed trim you'd find its a nice fun car. i prefer the g6 to the sucks ass old version of the mazda6 and fusion, avenger sebring, and other asian products. cars like the passat are not worth the real world 6-8k price premium over this car if commuting is your main agenda.

this car is not a bad car. is it a segment leader? probably not. is it a terrible car? my gosh no. pull your heads out of your ass and realize that for what is going on at GM right now and what this car gives for the money its not bad. the same malibu that gets 'all the awards' this is the same effing car mostly. your trashing of the car is based on fashion opinion. my friend the passat owner who now has a malibu co. car is saying now he will sell his passat because he likes the malibu just fine and thinks a good car. the g6 is the same car and the differences that have been made in the press that the g6 is a $h!ty car just isn't true. go drive one with the 2.4/6sp or the gxp and you will find that it is a good car with some nice new updates that can be had pretty reasonably in the right combos. the look is dated and not for everyone but if you do like it then you should not feel berated for owning or driving one when there are all sorts of sucks ass cars out there to pick from.

Edited by regfootball

I think this car sucks, despite the semi-cool

retractable hardtop variant.

BUt WHAT exactly is so horrible about that

interior... I see NOTHING really wrong with

it, now if you wanted to pick appart the

old rubbery-plastic 1980s interiors that

were the DARK AGES of interior design, I'd

understand, but this has a nice spash of

chorme, it's well laid out... not perfect but

certainly not horrible.

It's certainly not that far off from those

AUDI & Acura interiors you guys think are

God's gift to the automotive world.

Even a mediocre interior in a typical 2009

M.Y. car is LIGHTYEARS ahead of my '92

BUick Roadmaster, 1995 Suburban and

EVEN MORE SO an early 1990s Dodge

Shadow or a mid-1990s Mercury Grand.Mq.

Toyota called. They said the Solara is so played out, they dont even make it anymore.

Quite right. That's exactly what i think

of when I see that horrible, deformed

front bumper cover. :yuck:

I think this car sucks, despite the semi-cool

retractable hardtop variant.

BUt WHAT exactly is so horrible about that

interior... I see NOTHING really wrong with

it, now if you wanted to pick appart the

old rubbery-plastic 1980s interiors that

were the DARK AGES of interior design, I'd

understand, but this has a nice spash of

chorme, it's well laid out... not perfect but

certainly not horrible.

It's certainly not that far off from those

AUDI & Acura interiors you guys think are

God's gift to the automotive world.

Even a mediocre interior in a typical 2009

M.Y. car is LIGHTYEARS ahead of my '92

BUick Roadmaster, 1995 Suburban and

EVEN MORE SO an early 1990s Dodge

Shadow or a mid-1990s Mercury Grand.Mq.

Quite right. That's exactly what i think

of when I see that horrible, deformed

front bumper cover. :yuck:

here's what good about the g6 interior that others are nelglecting to say

-spot on gauge placement and red backlighting

-best door trim of the 3 GM epsilons

-simple dash vents, big and round, no complex breakable louvers

-handbrake

-no silly accordian door over the cupholders

-chrome accents now are nice

-power seat height adjuster

-radio and CC placement is spot on

-the new steering wheel is great to grip besides the fact that some of the buttons feel cheap and it looks a bit cheap. it feels great to hold which is why maybe its in the corvette too.

-the seats are decently supportive.

-g6 cockpit feels sporty, try that for feel in your sonata

-usb and bluetooth now available

-gaues are spot on and red backlighting (yes this bears repeating)

by the way people this car gets great mpg with the 4 cylinder and pretty decent pep to boot.

Edited by regfootball

It matters...more consumer sales mean the product is more desirable to consumers, not fleets. The last Grand Prix was 77% fleet at one point, for example.

Demand is demand. Why is it an issue where that demand comes from? If GM could sell 10,000 units to fleets per month and make a profit doing it, why would they stop?

Nothing wrong with the G6..it's a decent rental car. I've driven one, much nicer than the last gen Grand Am that it replaced.

Yep, the Mustang Hertz addtion is also a great rental car, when you can find one. Pontiac G8 can also be had but are tough to find.

Sales traction? The G6 sells more than Buick Lucerne and LaCrosse COMBINED. Is that traction? Not sure why Buick is not the one becoming the "niche".

Look at the fleet sales and real sales, you know, the ones GM actually makes money off of. Why are you also comparing cars with different price ranges? Profitability...

-handbrake

-the new steering wheel is great to grip besides the fact that some of the buttons feel cheap and it looks a bit cheap. it feels great to hold which is why maybe its in the corvette too.

by the way people this car gets great mpg with the 4 cylinder and pretty decent pep to boot.

I am glad I am the only one who doesn't think at is price point it isn't a bad car.

-handbrake

Most, if not all of that stuff of that stuff can be applied to many other cars that wrap it up in a better package.

Most, if not all of that stuff of that stuff can be applied to many other cars that wrap it up in a better package.

what like an avenger? the mazda 6 only got worthwhile a few months ago.

the altima is not the cats meow, neither is the camry or accord. drive them all like i have and you quickly find out there is not much substantive difference between them all. all $h!box midsize cars.

its more about fashion then anything in this class of cars. some of the functional difference that can be evaluated is related to size and cargo capacity and stuff. the g6 trunk is small, but most cars in this class have inadequate cargo holds. only in the last gen now have the rice models wised up and now the accord altima and mazda6 finally have people space too. and funny, they have been ripped for 'getting too big' now. I am like WTF The current taurus is about the only sedan suitable for family use because its about the only one large enough to be useful for family and people hauling.

and those better packages, check the price on those because sometimes its a matter of how much more do you have to pay to get the 'maybe its a better package'.

Edited by regfootball

what like an avenger? the mazda 6 only got worthwhile a few months ago.

the altima is not the cats meow, neither is the camry or accord. drive them all like i have and you quickly find out there is not much substantive difference between them all.

its more about fashion then anything in this class of cars. some of the functional difference that can be evaluated is related to size and cargo capacity and stuff. the g6 trunk is small, but most cars in this class have inadequate cargo holds. only in the last gen now have the rice models wised up and now the accord altima and mazda6 finally have people space too.

and those better packages, check the price on those because sometimes its a matter of how much more do you have to pay to get the 'maybe its a better package'.

You dolt, of course not the Avenger, or Sebring. They're at the bottom of the pack right along with the G6. The Mazda, regardless of what the least gen was like, now sits right at the top of the class. The Fusion is right there with it. The Accord, Altima and Malibu are also way better cars than the G6.

Why do you always think that by bringing up a Chrysler product you'll somehow get an upper hand and defending whatever piece of crap you may? If it's a better car I'll use facts to prove it, and if it's not, obviously I won't argue, since if you've ever paid attention you'd know that I've criticized Chrysler's midsize offerings plenty of times.

the current fusion actually kind of sucks ass, its a mazda6 which was a way overrated car. the 010 updates though with the new powertrains will be interesting to see if it transforms it into a half ways drivable car. the base g6 is more fun than the base fusion currently.

only because Ford switched to electric steering for non-sport models. It's still way more refined and better handling.

I have never been fond of the G6 sedan. To me, it is simply an unremarkable design that fails to represent Pontiac. The mild facelift does look better, but it isn't enough to make me appreciate the exterior design. To me, the Aura should have been the Pontiac product and the G6 sedan should have been the Saturn product.

The coupe and convertible are attractive from the A-pillar back; the front end design simply fails to gel with the rest of the car. Again, the facelift is an improvement. The problem is that the front end design still doesn't fit well with the rest of the car, even with the minor restyling.

If I was GM I would pull a little switcheroo and give Pontiac the Aura (with some version of a Pontiac grille and red interior lighting) and Saturn the G6. Since Saturn is going to be the corporation's red-headed stepchild, it should get the less attractive product. Saturn should sell the G6 (of course the name would change) as a value product with the 4-cylinder/6-speed auto combo only.

As for the G6 coupe and convertible: I would give them an Aura-esque facelift (again, with some version of a Pontiac grille), a red lit Aura-esque interior, Aura-esque taillights, and chrome side window surrounds/door handles and let it continue in Pontiac's lineup (especially since it happens to be the only FWD midsize coupe GM offers). I would also permanently banish the silly, over-the-top Bugs Bunny inspired grille on the GXP versions.

I would also dump the lame G6 moniker and resurrect the "Grand Prix" name for the reassigned Aura sedan and Aura-fied G6 coupe and convertible.

Actually if it where to be given an actual name it should be Grand Am, since that is the car it replaced.

I know, but I just never cared for the "Grand Am" name. To me, the G8 should be the "Bonneville" and the G6 should be the "Grand Prix" (although I think the Aura is more worthy of the name than the G6). The "Grand Am" name should remain in the vaults (although I realize it was a big seller for Pontiac). It's just my personal preference.

I don't understand what so many of you are pissed off about? OK, so the car doesn't have an award-winning interior. I've driven on 07 G6 on many occasions (my buddy's car) and to be honest, it's a great car. I like the Aura better because to me, the Aura has a more upscale look, but between the 3 versions (G6, Aura, Malibu) there is nothing mechanically different other than the suspension stiffness. They drive identically. Like mentioned above, the interior is probably the deal-breaker, but let's be honest, outside of forums like C&G the mass buying public isn't going to put as much emphasis on the quality of the interior plastics as much as we do. As long as it looks nice and has a generally well-thought out interior (which is strictly a matter of opinion) then this car should continue to do well. I actually like the interior. Again, it's not class-leading or award-winning, but it works quite nicely.

I wouldn't mind owning a base 4 cyl sedan but for some reason the coupe's trunklid has always struck me as being odd. I would much prefer the altima coupe to the G6 coupe if based on exterior alone.

I guess I'm one of the minority here.

I wouldn't mind owning a base 4 cyl sedan but for some reason the coupe's trunklid has always struck me as being odd. I would much prefer the altima coupe to the G6 coupe if based on exterior alone.

I guess I'm one of the minority here.

I also like the looks of the Altima coupe from the A-pillar back. Like the G6, the front end design of the Altima coupe doesn't match the dynamic design of the rest of the car. If both brands were to give these coupes front end designs that matched the sportiness of the rest of the cars (without resorting to the garishness of the GXP trim level of the G6 coupe), then both cars would be quite attractive to me. I know for marketing cost reasons it is cheaper for these coupes to share model names with their sedan counterparts, but I think it somewhat forces the company to saddle these coupes with bland front end designs. If the coupe versions were treated as entirely separate models, maybe the designers wouldn't feel pressure to give them front end designs that are similar to their more mundane sedan counterparts. Although I am not fond of the previous gen Camry (or any Camry for that matter) or its Solara coupe counterpart, at least Toyota did try to completely differentiate the coupe's exterior design from its sedan counterpart (the success of the design is strictly dependent on the eyes of the beholder, though).

I agree on the Altima coupe.

It's gross... a kind of bastardized

version of a Chinese knockoff

Infiniti G37 coupe.

Nissan does have some decent

products, the G37, M45 & FX45

are all cars worthy of praise in

the design/styling sense.

I have never been fond of the G6 sedan. To me, it is simply an unremarkable design that fails to represent Pontiac.

Exactly.

The G8 on the other hand, IS exactly what Pontiac should be.

If Pontiac made a pillarless-hardtop coupe G8 just like the

one that used to be in DF's sig. (he choped it) then I would

be selling off my classic cars to buy it, while asking:

Camaro what....?

Edited by Sixty8panther

I know, but I just never cared for the "Grand Am" name. To me, the G8 should be the "Bonneville" and the G6 should be the "Grand Prix" (although I think the Aura is more worthy of the name than the G6). The "Grand Am" name should remain in the vaults (although I realize it was a big seller for Pontiac). It's just my personal preference.

wrong. g6 should be grand am. g8 should be grand prix.

g6= grand am. 100k units a year

g8= grand prix 25k units a year

solstice= solstice 25k units a year

kill vibe give to saturn or something

kill g3

kill g5

next astra= (someone suggest a name) sell concurrently with saturn while they are shut down 25-50k units a year

3 models and a roadster. niche enough for everyone? remember the g6 includes coupe and convertible. grand am pricing would get adjusted down. grand am truly can become an affordable car. it becomes the chevy that does not exist. only 2 engines, the ecotec4 and HF v6. 6 speed trannies only.

i did to some degree like the idea about transforming the aura into a pontiac. maybe someone could photochop the g8 front on an aura.

Edited by regfootball

kill g3

kill g5

next astra= (someone suggest a name) sell concurrently with saturn while they are shut down 25-50k units a year

3 models and a roadster. niche enough for everyone? remember the g6 includes coupe and convertible. grand am pricing would get adjusted down.

i did to some degree like the idea about transforming the aura into a pontiac. maybe someone could photochop the g8 front on an aura.

I'd keep the Astra name, it was the name of the Pontiac small model in the '70s (Pontiac Astra was a Chevy Vega w/ a Pontiac nose).

I'd keep the Astra name, it was the name of the Pontiac small model in the '70s (Pontiac Astra was a Chevy Vega w/ a Pontiac nose).

Very close, it was actually the Astre. It was also different than the Chevy by having a set of '67-'68 Firebird taillights, as well.

kill g3

kill g5

3 models and a roadster. niche enough for everyone? remember the g6 includes coupe and convertible. grand am pricing would get adjusted down. grand am truly can become an affordable car. it becomes the chevy that does not exist. only 2 engines, the ecotec4 and HF v6. 6 speed trannies only.

Sounds like a decent idea to me. I would add another small car though.

-handbrake

Some pretty good points...

Because it will still sell....

With all due respect, this is horse$h!. Do you see what GM's financials look like? They are not making good enough vehicles with real consumer appeal across the board. Has the G6 sold units? Of course. But how many of those units have produced profit? How many of them were to real consumers (i.e. sales that matter)? Has GM broken even on the development costs for the G6?

Here's what GM apologists forget: if GM were building desirable cars that even attempted to be in the top THIRD of their class, GM wouldn't be in the financial situation they currently are in, and we'd have G8 STs, Zeta Impalas, Cadillac Sixteens, and all the other little goodies the site's populace is bitching about being "shelved."

Car companies NEED to build ultra-competitive cars, especially in VOLUME SEGMENTS, because that subsidizes all the other little niche vehicles that appeal to enthusiasts. Acura never would have built an Integra if Honda weren't selling a $h!load of Accords. BMW couldn't make the 6er if it weren't selling a $h!load of 3ers. Simple economics.

yet there are plenty of morons who shed 30k plus for a 4 pot TSX and even more morons who throw big bucks at camrys and accords and altimas that are not really as good of cars as people make them out to be.

the g6 is not class leading but it is not $h!. who here has driven an 09 G6 with the 6 speed automatic and new interior trimmings? I've driven the 09 not yet the 09.5. the g6 is a decent car and i find it absurd that anyone who thinks the car is substantially deficient to the malibu which was a c/d ten best car without the 6 speed 4 pot. styling and interior are the major difference and that is simply a fashion issue.

and no one can use many other choices in this segment as defense based on fashion as the altima, accord, sonata, and camry are plenty ugly and equally non fashionable.

Edited by regfootball

With all due respect, this is horse$h!. Do you see what GM's financials look like? They are not making good enough vehicles with real consumer appeal across the board. Has the G6 sold units? Of course. But how many of those units have produced profit? How many of them were to real consumers (i.e. sales that matter)? Has GM broken even on the development costs for the G6?

Here's what GM apologists forget: if GM were building desirable cars that even attempted to be in the top THIRD of their class, GM wouldn't be in the financial situation they currently are in, and we'd have G8 STs, Zeta Impalas, Cadillac Sixteens, and all the other little goodies the site's populace is bitching about being "shelved."

Car companies NEED to build ultra-competitive cars, especially in VOLUME SEGMENTS, because that subsidizes all the other little niche vehicles that appeal to enthusiasts. Acura never would have built an Integra if Honda weren't selling a $h!load of Accords. BMW couldn't make the 6er if it weren't selling a $h!load of 3ers. Simple economics.

:yes:

yet there are plenty of morons who shed 30k plus for a 4 pot TSX and even more morons who throw big bucks at camrys and accords and altimas that are not really as good of cars as people make them out to be.

the g6 is not class leading but it is not $h!. who here has driven an 09 G6 with the 6 speed automatic and new interior trimmings? I've driven the 09 not yet the 09.5. the g6 is a decent car and i find it absurd that anyone who thinks the car is substantially deficient to the malibu which was a c/d ten best car without the 6 speed 4 pot. styling and interior are the major difference and that is simply a fashion issue.

and no one can use many other choices in this segment as defense based on fashion as the altima, accord, sonata, and camry are plenty ugly and equally non fashionable.

Camry and Accord have a much more premium interior design. They are comfortable, quiet, and drive more than adequately. They may not have all the freebie amenities included in the base, but the base trims still feel more upscale in materials, design and build quality than many of GM's midlevel trims on comparable cars.

Interiors are not just "simply a fashion issue." There are certain levels of refinement in design, materials, and fit-and-finish for each vehicle class (size and "prestige" classes). GM hasn't gotten totally it yet--only random vehicles hit the mark, and not all on the same platform/build schedules do, either.

Perceptions of cars are like perceptions of people--so many posters on here complain about reviews that nitpick little things on GM cars, but little things add up--say you meet a person in real life, and they don't make eye contact, smirk slightly from time to time, and wear really oversized clothes. Taken on their own, maybe they are insecure and unsure of themselves around new people, have an off-beat sense of humor, and really bad fashion sense...or maybe taken as a whole they seem shady and untrustworthy. You go car shopping, and while everything might be competitive on paper, you get behind the wheel and notice how the switches move, the shift knob feels, the way the car squeaks or doesn't squeak when going over bumps...you come out of it with a perception of quality or lack of quality.

GM just doesn't sweat the details in enough of its product offerings, and unfortunately not in its big volume products, because those segments "always sell." But not forever, and not on any perceptions of quality. Daewoo sold cars--they were damn cheap. But the honeymoon sure didn't last very long, now did it?

the only way the new accords interior does not SUCK ASS is if its tan / tan leather. sit in one objectively....in black with the horsecrap cloth. its crap too. thin chintzy doors. the camry is hardly much better. cheap plastic abounds. the fur inside an altima is akin to what you see and feel when you pull your long overdue furnace filter out of your furnace.

criticize the GM offerings fine but you lose all cred citing the current gen accord and camry as interior standard torch bearers.

new mazda6 interior isn't bad but the last one was bad, especially in medium gray, vomit inducing. the CX7 interior in particular is cheap and terrible and pretty much a perfect example of the typically cheap interiors that now plague japanese label products (see Pilot, Fit, Yaris, Element, FJ Cruiser, Xb, Xd.....list goes on)

Edited by regfootball

Well, the interior needed more done to it in my opinion as well and the exterior freshening is a joke as well, but since Pontiac is to cease, I guess it doesn't matter to throw money at a black hole although GM seemed to love doing that with Saturn and Saab. Oh, and FIAT. And HUMMER.

I digress.

I like the new front bumper cover. It looks more Opel-esque to me.

I dislike that the radio no longer has a red display.

The G6 was only a stepping stone after the first Epsilon Malibu and a notable improvement from it especially in styling, but little else.

The Malibu was hyped as GM's midsized savior, and the media bought into that... all the while giving the similar AURA ho-hum reviews. I've driven the Malibu and found it a decent car, better looking than other Epsilons, but I think the attention it received had more to do with its significance, how much it improved, and how it was priced to compete directly against Accord and Camry (the G6 and AURA initially weren't available with four-cylinder engines).

There's more between the G6 and the AURA/Malibu than just fashion. GM worked on the G6's side structure, which has a "marginal" rating (it's "acceptable" in the AURA/Malibu), and added refinements like laminated front glass and sound deadening. I do think the G6's interior beats the AURA/Malibu's in some ways - the door panels are nicer, there are fewer cutlines and less spray-painted silver trim, and the upper dash uses higher quality materials.

There's more between the G6 and the AURA/Malibu than just fashion. GM worked on the G6's side structure, which has a "marginal" rating (it's "acceptable" in the AURA/Malibu),

Are the crash ratings for the sedan G6 vs sedan Aura/Malibu or sedan/coupe/convert G6 average vs sedan Aura/Malibu? Obviously averaging in the coupe/convert would dilute a strong showing by the G6 sedan, as smaller door holes are easier to reinforce.

After thinking about the ideas presented to shift the old nameplates down if reapplied to the disasterous Gx series... I think I'm for it. Pontiac is headed towards smaller cars (unfortunately for me), so a redo of the 1982 Bonne platform step-down to LeMans makes sense. G8->Bonne, G6->GrandPrix G5->Grand Am. I don't think people's memories are go strong that they would revolt to the Grand Prix name on a Grand Am sized car.

Of course, if Pontiac is eliminating most of their lines, I would hope whatever the remaining Gx series would get renamed. I think it's silly to only have one Gx in the lineup. Actually, I think the whole Gx series is silly... especially since I feel that customers would assume the x would indicate engine cylinders.

Are the crash ratings for the sedan G6 vs sedan Aura/Malibu or sedan/coupe/convert G6 average vs sedan Aura/Malibu? Obviously averaging in the coupe/convert would dilute a strong showing by the G6 sedan, as smaller door holes are easier to reinforce.

After thinking about the ideas presented to shift the old nameplates down if reapplied to the disasterous Gx series... I think I'm for it. Pontiac is headed towards smaller cars (unfortunately for me), so a redo of the 1982 Bonne platform step-down to LeMans makes sense. G8->Bonne, G6->GrandPrix G5->Grand Am. I don't think people's memories are go strong that they would revolt to the Grand Prix name on a Grand Am sized car.

Of course, if Pontiac is eliminating most of their lines, I would hope whatever the remaining Gx series would get renamed. I think it's silly to only have one Gx in the lineup. Actually, I think the whole Gx series is silly... especially since I feel that customers would assume the x would indicate engine cylinders.

Personally I think the Whole Pontiac line is silly and should just be retired. They can have performance fun under the GMC / Buick Banner.