Toyota Yaris 1.5

Hehe, what do you get with a $9995 Versa? NOTHING

I was reading an article in the March Automobile about the base Versa...manual windows, A/C optional, manual seat, manual locks, no interior light, no fob for keyless entry...sounds like something from 1985!

Maybe Chevy can do a $9995 version of the Cobalt and call it the Scooter like the old Chevette scooter---vinyl seats, manual windows, no back seat, no glovebox door, the car for cheapskate curmudgeons!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cobalt starts some $4,000 higher than the Versa. And the Cobalt isn't that pleasant a car.

wow you need a clue. put air, abs, PW PL and all of that in the car and pretty soon you will find the Cobalt compares well with the cheap crappy Versa. Wow, defending a Versa. That is amazing.

Edited by regfootball

I was reading an article in the March Automobile about the base Versa...manual windows, A/C optional, manual seat, manual locks, no interior light, no fob for keyless entry...sounds like something from 1985!

Maybe Chevy can do a $9995 version of the Cobalt and call it the Scooter like the old Chevette scooter---vinyl seats, manual windows, no back seat, no glovebox door, the car for cheapskate curmudgeons!

9995 versa doesn't even have the 1.8, it has the 1.6.

everyone go read edmunds user reports on the versa. you'll see just how much of a $h!box it is.

I'm not saying the Versa is the second coming, it definitely has its faults, but all cars in this price range do. Especially GMs, they dont have anything worthwhile available under $20k. Aveo, Cobalt, Astra...all garbage compared to the competition.

And if you weren't a GM loyalist, you'd see the Fit as a far better car than the Cobalt.

I don't see it. Better interior quality. Worse on road noise, power, HVAC capacity. On looks it's a wash. The Cobalt is bland in non-SS trim. The Fit is dorky in any trim.

If there is one thing the Germans and Asians haven't yet "Americanized" it's the capabilities of their HVAC systems.....

I don't see it. Better interior quality. Worse on road noise, power, HVAC capacity. On looks it's a wash. The Cobalt is bland in non-SS trim. The Fit is dorky in any trim.

If there is one thing the Germans and Asians haven't yet "Americanized" it's the capabilities of their HVAC systems.....

Yep...because the priority is HVAC

:scratchchin:

I don't believe a Cobalt has any advantage other than HVAC. (oops. almost forgot about that 37 HWY MPG for the XFE that noone will end up finding on a lot...)

There is no credibility in defending the Cobalt....it simply dims any of the points you really are right about!

The Yaris is certainly not good, but I'd sooner walk than buy a Cobalt

I'm so glad those Honda 4-cylinders are so smooth at high RPM....considering I have to rev it up to 4,500 RPM just to get up a very modest incline at 65mph.

I would really get frustrated with an engine like that... larger pushrod engines are so much better IMO.

Oh, come on. Poor Buffy doesn't have a interior light for the glove box? ;-) (The $9995 Versa does have an interior light, it just doesn't have a interior lights in every cubby.)

While I would never buy a decontented new car, since I would buy a third hand Pontiac or Cadillac first, some people put the NEW option above all others. Recessions hurt the poor for longer than the rich... and many people who have gotten accustomed to having a new car will want a decontented Versa. I give Nissan credit for offering it... even if its hard to find on dealer lots.

Years from now when we have third world status, we'll look back at the $9995 Versa as the last of the Luxurious People's Cars.

Well enzl, when I bought my Cobalt, the dealer had at least 5 XFEs on the lot (Sept '08), coupes and sedans. Mine is a 1LT with chrome trim package, so it is not a penalty box. It's fine for what I bought it for... as a commuter car with GM serviceability, clean, inoffensive looks, good fuel mileage and power options. The Ecotec engine is a gem, fine power and good economy. The only thing I feel I am missing out on is alloy wheels, easily remedied in the aftermarket. Edited by ocnblu

the fit's not the holy grail.

it looks weird, the interior is cheap.

it might be sprite for its low hp and it probably handles well. but really its been put up on a pedal and sensationalized.

in lower prices its probably worth it.

but like boi said, its dorky. and people will get tired of redlining it to get up a hill.

I'm not saying the Versa is the second coming, it definitely has its faults, but all cars in this price range do. Especially GMs, they dont have anything worthwhile available under $20k. Aveo, Cobalt, Astra...all garbage compared to the competition.

hmmmm, i'm reading Jan CD right now where the Cobalt finished far ahead of the Lame ass mini in a multi car comparison test.

Well enzl, when I bought my Cobalt, the dealer had at least 5 XFEs on the lot (Sept '08), coupes and sedans. Mine is a 1LT with chrome trim package, so it is not a penalty box. It's fine for what I bought it for... as a commuter car with GM serviceability, clean, inoffensive looks, good fuel mileage and power options. The Ecotec engine is a gem, fine power and good economy. The only thing I feel I am missing out on is alloy wheels, easily remedied in the aftermarket.

I can agree with ocn...

As much as I rag on my Cobalt, it's been a good car so far. And I do like its looks...

Would I buy another? For the right price, yes.

But I also like the Civic and the 3, and the upcoming Cruze.....

Well enzl, when I bought my Cobalt, the dealer had at least 5 XFEs on the lot (Sept '08), coupes and sedans. Mine is a 1LT with chrome trim package, so it is not a penalty box. It's fine for what I bought it for... as a commuter car with GM serviceability, clean, inoffensive looks, good fuel mileage and power options. The Ecotec engine is a gem, fine power and good economy. The only thing I feel I am missing out on is alloy wheels, easily remedied in the aftermarket.

Sorry, just not a fan of the Cobalt---an SS sedan, in a pinch, I could live with, but I couldn't live with the constant reminder that I spent my hard earned money on an inferior product---I genuinely hope you enjoy yours, but I'd dip into the second-hand market myself---I didn't mean to insult your choice, but GM's utter futility in this arena drives me nuts.

Our Chevy store sells about 2500 new cars/year and we've had exactly 2 XFE's on the lot--one was a mis-allocation, the other a specific order from a fleet client for his private use. Every other inquiry I've heard about from sales staff was basically-"Oh, it only comes with a stick?". The XFE is a marketing tool for posters and little more, IMO.

Get a job

i don't need to. i don't stock my garage with overpriced girl car / fashion accessories with limited function.

besides, i made more money in the last 3 months of last year and more off my leftover vacation pay than you probably made the last 3 years.

and i don't spend it on overpriced toy cars.

Edited by regfootball

last time i went chevy shopping they had a buttload of XFE's on the lot. but the cobalt that appealed to me most was an LT because i think doesn't it get different tires than the XFE Low rolling resistance skinny tires are nice from an MPG standpoint but not from a traction standpoint.

and i don't spend it on overpriced toy cars.

Someones jealous of the fun-mobile. I'd hope its the fun-mobile, because ther really isn't any reason to be jealous of the other one, unless you hate buying gas so much you'd love to only have to hit the gas station twice a month.

Someones jealous of the fun-mobile. I'd hope its the fun-mobile, because ther really isn't any reason to be jealous of the other one, unless you hate buying gas so much you'd love to only have to hit the gas station twice a month.

and to circle the wagons back around....not only would that cobalt cost half as much to pay for, even the mpg is better as well.

Since neither car in my garage cost more than $28k after haggling, half as much would be $14k, which isn't going to get you much of a Cobalt, maybe an XFE, which might get about the same MPG as we're getting out of the MINI, a very consistent 37 on mostly highway driving. The Cobalt will come nowhere near the Prius. Plus, the Cobalt wont have nearly as much "stuff" as either of the other cars, things like leather, sunroof, backup camera, nav, killer stereo, yadda yadda yadda.

Plus, both cars feel like a Rolls Royce after you've been in a Cobalt.

Since neither car in my garage cost more than $28k after haggling, half as much would be $14k, which isn't going to get you much of a Cobalt, maybe an XFE, which might get about the same MPG as we're getting out of the MINI, a very consistent 37 on mostly highway driving. The Cobalt will come nowhere near the Prius. Plus, the Cobalt wont have nearly as much "stuff" as either of the other cars, things like leather, sunroof, backup camera, nav, killer stereo, yadda yadda yadda.

Plus, both cars feel like a Rolls Royce after you've been in a Cobalt.

SS/TC sedan. Bluetooth, USB ports, 7 speaker stereo, ultrasuede seats, sunroof, xm, onstar.....shall I go on?

Not to mention it's fun as hell to drive and will out run most cars on the road.

LNF in a Cooper S? :scratchchin:

JCW close enough?

I'd love the chance to roll in a John Cooper Works MINI, I'd be willing to bet that even with "only" 208hp, it hauls ass and provides as much amusement as any driver can somewhat legally get.

I won't say I don't love the Mini, but I drove one last year (a customer's, on a road test with him in the passenger seat) with 36k miles on it, and all that pretty, hard plastic schtuff on the dash, doors and center console just creaked and groaned over bumps. It was an S, it may have been with the hard suspension package, but yeah.

It was great fun to drive, though, and I liked hearing the supercharger.

A Works will run ya $30k... is it worth all that extra money over the sublime Cobalt SS Turbo? That is debatable.

Edited by ocnblu

I won't say I don't love the Mini, but I drove one last year (a customer's, on a road test with him in the passenger seat) with 36k miles on it, and all that pretty, hard plastic schtuff on the dash, doors and center console just creaked and groaned over bumps. It was an S, it may have been with the hard suspension package, but yeah.

It was great fun to drive, though, and I liked hearing the supercharger.

A Works will run ya $30k... is it worth all that extra money over the sublime Cobalt SS Turbo? That is debatable.

car and driver didn't think so. and honestly that SS cobalt is also a few grand off sticker right now too.

it depends if you want to blow money on a toy car. fun to drive, sure, but really its go kart handling is its only thing. the interior in the mini is unique, but not nice enough to ask 30k.

at least get a volvo c30 if you're gonna blow money like that. something with a hint of luxury to it.

so not only can the cobalt out perform the mini for thousands less, in regular trim levels, the cobalt is a better car for the money than the yaris.

the mini is a fashion accessory. if it weren't a BMW product, i bet half of the mini buyers wouldn't buy em. its simply like those who buy calvin klein t shirts or whatever. can't swing the 80 dollar sweatshirt, but need to have the logo, and the t shirt is the cheapest way to get it.

Edited by regfootball

I've seen the error of my ways. I'm going up to the Ford dealership this morning, we'll trade both of our cars in on Taurii.

Really, you're of the opinion that people shouldn't spend money on fun cars? The Cobalt SS is old, crude and bland compared to a Cooper. And the interior on the new Coopers is fantastic, better than what BMW had in the first cars.

The C30 would've been a fine choice, but just on looks alone its the polar opposite of the cute, fun MINI.

car and driver didn't think so. and honestly that SS cobalt is also a few grand off sticker right now too.

it depends if you want to blow money on a toy car. fun to drive, sure, but really its go kart handling is its only thing. the interior in the mini is unique, but not nice enough to ask 30k.

at least get a volvo c30 if you're gonna blow money like that. something with a hint of luxury to it.

so not only can the cobalt out perform the mini for thousands less, in regular trim levels, the cobalt is a better car for the money than the yaris.

the mini is a fashion accessory. if it weren't a BMW product, i bet half of the mini buyers wouldn't buy em. its simply like those who buy calvin klein t shirts or whatever. can't swing the 80 dollar sweatshirt, but need to have the logo, and the t shirt is the cheapest way to get it.

I think pretty much any car is better than the Yaris....

Brembo brakes and upgraded suspension components.

Guess those Ring times meant nothing, besides the fact that every review has said the car is blast to drive...

That can be done to any car. And no those Ring times don't tell me how nice the car is. It just means the car has a good engine, and the suspension has been tuned for a track. I don't know what my GTO gets at the Ring, and don't even care if the Cobalt is faster at the Ring. My GTO is still more fun to drive any day of the week, on the track or off.

The Mini wont set any tracks on fire with it's 160hp, but I'm willing to bet that it is still more fun to drive than a Cobalt. And it doesn't look as cheap, or feel as cheap.