This is why Dogbert is my hero.

Dilbert is good stuff.

But... "Dying planet." :rolleyes:

Anyone hear about Al Gore's erroneous claims of

climate-change related natrual disasters the other

day and how he was found AGAIN to be pulling

"facts" from a dark place in his rear?

All I know is that this has been a record setting winter in NC (just like around the world -- First snow in London in 20 years!)

But hey, they've EMBELLISHED the scheme to include "climate change and natural disasters" now. So I guess that saves their ass regardless. Apparently "global warming" includes the planet getting warmer, the planet getting colder, a snow storm, a tornado, a tsunami, a hurricane, a thunderstorm, sunshine and the fact that I'll have gas tomorrow... Hell, around here we have a special world for global warming; it's called "WEATHER"

The thing about global climatology is that the margin of error in the science is so astronomical that any conclusion can be completely refuted, disputed, or confirmed.

Yes, it's truly one of the more inexact sciences. There are phenomenons that are definitely pointing to some sort of climate change like the melting of polar ice caps, rising seas, flooding of coastal areas, stronger hurricanes, etc.

i thought this thread was about dogbert. lol

anyone hear that the satellite that was going to study GW "closer" failed to reach orbit? lol

Hadn't heard about that..I'm sure there are conspiracy theories as to why it 'failed'..

i thought this thread was about dogbert. lol

anyone hear that the satellite that was going to study GW "closer" failed to reach orbit? lol

hehe yeah i saw that a 280 million $ fireworks show the penguins got to watch. i hear global warming pimp slapped it back down but eh thats just a rumor.

All I know is that this has been a record setting winter in NC (just like around the world -- First snow in London in 20 years!)

But hey, they've EMBELLISHED the scheme to include "climate change and natural disasters" now. So I guess that saves their ass regardless. Apparently "global warming" includes the planet getting warmer, the planet getting colder, a snow storm, a tornado, a tsunami, a hurricane, a thunderstorm, sunshine and the fact that I'll have gas tomorrow... Hell, around here we have a special world for global warming; it's called "WEATHER"

F.O.G, I like you and we agree on a lot of things, but you're still wrong on this one.

They changed the terminology because of statements like yours. It may sound strange, but yes global warming could cause snow in London.

Here's the explanation:

London is kept warm by the gulf stream. As warming melts arctic ice, that cold water and ice burgs flow south and interact with the gulf stream as it heads toward the English coast. This has a cooling effect on the gulf stream and lowers the air temperature reaching England. Keep in mind that nearly all of England is at a higher latitude than any of the lower 48 states.

F.O.G, I like you and we agree on a lot of things, but you're still wrong on this one.

They changed the terminology because of statements like yours. It may sound strange, but yes global warming could cause snow in London.

Here's the explanation:

London is kept warm by the gulf stream. As warming melts arctic ice, that cold water and ice burgs flow south and interact with the gulf stream as it heads toward the English coast. This has a cooling effect on the gulf stream and lowers the air temperature reaching England. Keep in mind that nearly all of England is at a higher latitude than any of the lower 48 states.

"Climate change" and "global warming" have been synonymous from the very beginning. There is nothing new to this terminology.

FoG:

I agree 100%, I know what Oldsmoboi is saying but even

those theories have a margin of error of 95-250%...

This is the analogy I use: These retards running around

yelling "The Sky is Falling!" are doing the scientific

equivalent of observing a major highway from 5:00am

to 9:00am and based on that 4 hour chunk of time

predicting:

1. By noon the traffic will be 3 times the total capacity of

the highway, in keeping, of course, with the trend they

saw from 5:00-9:00am.

2. Next Sunday there will be the same amount of traffic, if not more!

Sixty8, how dare you use his own invention against him.

LoL :cheers:

I know what Oldsmoboi is saying but even

those theories have a margin of error of 95-250%...

Care to back that up?

How can "A glacier use to be here and now it's not" have a 250% margin of error?

You are turning into the SMK of the environmental discussions.

Here's the explanation:

Different strokes for different folks...

I am certainly an advocate of the environment and I think we should do as much as we can to lessen our impact on this planet. However, creating PANIC and giving up freedom and creating a WHOLE lot of other sociocultural issues that will cause people distress is just not acceptable IMO.

Even the head of the Sierra Club called Al Gore an alarmist. And we ALL know that he is certainly a hypocrite. (Which is where my conflict theory ideology comes into play)

Climate = long-term

Weather = short-term

And the last time I checked, the short term summed the long term, not vice versa.

"Climate change" and "global warming" have been synonymous from the very beginning. There is nothing new to this terminology.

The initial shock and panic was built around global warming. Then a bunch of people and sources (I'll not beat a dead horse) offered contradictory evidence. So now, we're using climate change as the motivator. Again, it's not about the end result, it's about the means at which we're achieving that result. (i.e. the senseless panic and sacrifice)

I think I've hijacked the thread, so I'll stop. This will be my last global warming post.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I am certainly an advocate of the environment and I think we should do as much as we can to lessen our impact on this planet. However, creating PANIC and giving up freedom and creating a WHOLE lot of other sociocultural issues that will cause people distress is just not acceptable IMO.

I disagree with your downplaying of global climate change, but I have to agree with you that the American way of dealing with global warming is a lot better at creating sociocultural problems than it is at actually doing anything to lessen our impact on the environment. Especially when you consider the environmental impact of countries whose pollution we have less control over, like India, China, and Russia.

I disagree with your downplaying of global climate change, but I have to agree with you that the American way of dealing with global warming is a lot better at creating sociocultural problems than it is at actually doing anything to lessen our impact on the environment. Especially when you consider the environmental impact of countries whose pollution we have less control over, like India, China, and Russia.

yes.. studies are showing more "soot" on snow on "us", mainly from china and such, which more easily melts snow.... so even if it's not warming of any significance... the tells of it "warming", ice melt, could be absolutely misleading when not truly shown why it's melting (not air temperature)...

so i think more ground based science needs to be done instead of just looking at sat pics of ice retreating.

To hell with all those that think global warming is a myth.

To hell with all those that think global warming is a threat.

How about To Hell with all Conservatives and Liberals who want to debate this issue and yet still do very little in their own life.

End result, if we want Earth to be green and be better, each and everyone of you needs to do your part to recycle, clean up trash, plant a tree, where possible if the Idiot Politicians have not passed stupid laws to ban customization of auto's take an old Carb auto and restore it or customize it and put in a fuel injection motor with modern emission system.

End result is you all can do things to make earth a healthier better place to live. We do not need to have so many people Preaching about this.

NOW BACK TO "EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!"

Let's post more Dogbert, that dude rocks!!! :P

Edited by dfelt

theres one i used to have in my locker at work. had them all in a meeting with the CEO stating that the water in the building was perfectly safe to drink per engineering. then one asks him why he is drinking bottled water. "because thats what engineering drinks".

Edited by cletus8269

theres one i used to have in my locker at work. had them all in a meeting with the CEO stating that the water in the building was perfectly safe to drink per engineering. then one asks him why he is drinking bottled water. "because thats what engineering drinks".

I also have this one on my wall at work, one of my all-time favorites (and very similar to the way the suits there deal with this issue):

1323_strip.jpg

OB and Camino: I would do unspeakable things to own that wagon.

Edited by XP715

To hell with all those that think global warming is a myth.

To hell with all those that think global warming is a threat.

How about To Hell with all Conservatives and Liberals who want to debate this issue and yet still do very little in their own life.

End result, if we want Earth to be green and be better, each and everyone of you needs to do your part to recycle, clean up trash, plant a tree, where possible if the Idiot Politicians have not passed stupid laws to ban customization of auto's take an old Carb auto and restore it or customize it and put in a fuel injection motor with modern emission system.

End result is you all can do things to make earth a healthier better place to live. We do not need to have so many people Preaching about this.

QFT... That's what I was trying to say.

It should be innate to us to preserve our environment, not something that causes un-needed stressors in lives that are already on the brink.