Nissan Moves to Nashville - It's Official

The O.C.

Just announced in the news......Nissan is moving their N.A. headquarters from Gardena (L.A.) to the Nashville area where they have an assembly plant (Smyrna, TN.) 1,300 jobs will be transferred from Southern California to the Nashville area. Personally, I think this is a MAJOR mistake for Nissan. Why? 1) The car culture in Southern California is second-to-none in this country. 2) Trend-setting is also second-to-none (maybe along with New York) in this country. 3) Southern California is an automotive dynamo with numerous different manufacturers having their N.A. headquarters here and most also have design studios here (GM even has one in North Hollywood.) That's not to mention aftermarket guys such as Saleen, Brabus, etc., that are all headquartered here. 4) Southern California is much closer to Asia for Asian import manufacturers. It's one of the reasons that german manufacturers such as BMW (New Jersey) Porsche (Atlanta) and VW (Detroit) are all on the east cost time zone. 5) A good majority of the Nissan employees here have indicated they do not want to move to Nashville and many will search for new jobs and quit Nissan instead of accept a transfer. Why? 1) Many love living here and 2) IF they move, they will most likely never be able to afford to return because this area's real estate market appreciation is forecasted to remain very strong....far outpacing the market in other areas such as Nashville. 6) Nashville's not a bad town at all.....but if you've lived in Southern California for awhile, and can afford it here, why would you want to leave the beaches, the palm trees, the mountains, the lack of humidity and bugs, the great weather, the excitement of L.A. and Hollywood, the great restaurants, and the great nightlife, etc.? This predicament has been all over the news here lately and apparently Toyota received SO many resumes as of late, they called Nissan and asked them to please ask their employees to stop forwarding them over there. Sure there will be some people that will HAVE to move because of their longevity and their retirement interests....and some will move that have struggled here with the high cost-of-living. BUT....what will be the overall effect of morale on Nissan's employees? Those that quit because they don't want to move....but more importantly, what about the morale of those that DO move but don't really want to? Edited by The O.C.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just announced in the news......Nissan is moving their N.A. headquarters from Gardena (L.A.) to the Nashville area where they have an assembly plant (Smyrna, TN.)  1,300 jobs will be transferred from Southern California to the Nashville area.

Personally, I think this is a MAJOR mistake for Nissan.  Why?

1)  The car culture in Southern California is second-to-none in this country.

2)  Trend-setting is also second-to-none (maybe along with New York) in this country.

[post="41420"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

a bit pompous on your part, perhaps? that's said, why would you locate your headquarters among the hillbillies?

either is better than Detroit, perhaps...if you want to avoid mono-think and tunnel vision. Edited by regfootball

a bit pompous on your part, perhaps?  that's said, why would you locate your headquarters among the hillbillies?

either is better than Detroit, perhaps...if you want to avoid mono-think and tunnel vision.

[post="41446"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What's pompous about my remarks?

Do you not agree? ^_^

And if you don't, I'd LOVE to hear your comments as to why......

P.S.....Nashville is not that hillbilly....

5) A good majority of the Nissan employees here have indicated they do not want to move to Nashville and many will search for new jobs and quit Nissan instead of accept a transfer. Why? 1) Many love living here and 2) IF they move, they will most likely never be able to afford to return because this area's real estate market appreciation is forecasted to remain very strong....far outpacing the market in other areas such as Nashville.

What makes you think Nissan isn't losing employees already?

Tell me this, how exactly is a middle class household on an engineer's or accountant's salary supposed to afford a decent home in LA? I'm not talking about a McMansion here, I'm talking about a 3 bedroom in a respectable school district.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8486137/
http://www.realestatejournal.com/columnist...ivingthere.html

LA has the second least affordable housing market in the country. The incomes may be a bit above average, but the housing costs maybe 2-3 times as much. How are non-movie stars supposed to afford a middle class-living? :huh:

You can go on a rampage about "corporate greed" at this point if you want, but my guess is that Nissan's engineers and accountants are already paid much more than their counterparts in other cities, but at the same time this may not be enough to afford the same standard of living as others in their field. So they may be ditching Nissan in droves, which is something that would not surprise me.

The decision seems to make sense to me on a number of levels, not the least of which is that Nissan is half owned by the French now, and Tennessee is closer to Europe than LA. Also Nissan is the most gas guzzler dependent of the import brands, and their sales have been leveling off in the past few months. They've run out of new market segements to enter. They may be making this move ahead of a probable financial cruch that faces them.

6) Nashville's not a bad town at all.....but if you've lived in Southern California for awhile, and can afford it here, why would you want to leave the beaches, the palm trees, the mountains, the lack of humidity and bugs, the great weather, the excitement of L.A. and Hollywood, the great restaurants, and the great nightlife, etc.

On a day to day basis those things matters little to the average person, especially when compared to the major factors of *salary* and *affordable housing* and *decent schools*. It matters even less if you don't have the money to enjoy those things. Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouths, kid. Edited by Shantanu

I suppose it makes sense to move your headquarters closer to your operations (the manufacturing plants). The design center's is going to remain in Cali, I believe.

Audi is believed to be moving their HQ to Atlanta within three years, so maybe the South is the next big thing for automakers.

The decision seems to make sense to me on a number of levels, not the least of which is that Nissan is half owned by the French now, and Tennessee is closer to Europe than LA.

[post="41462"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think this one of the reasons for the move. Nissan isn't really owned by Renualt. They hold a 44% stake in Nissan (Nissan has a 15% stake in Renault) but Nissan and Renault (aside from Ghosn, who presides over both companies) are two seperate groups. In other words, Renault doesn't have an influence over Nissan's decisions. Edited by VarianceJ30

Lest we forget, Ford got caught up on the same stupid "California Car Culture" bandwagon a couple of years ago.

They moved their Premier Automotive Group (Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin) offices from NJ to LA. How stupid is that? These companies have corporate HQ's in Detroit and operations on the other side of the world in Europe. The head of the group left after a few months because it was ridiculously far away from his native Germany.

They also merged Lincoln and Mercury with PAG (completely abandoning their Midwestern roots), and moved them out to LA too. Thinking that the California Car Culture would work its wonders and make them winners. Didn't work. Lincoln and Mercury were soon moved back to save money, and PAG still lingers on in LA, most of its brands still haven't delivered the big sales or big profits that Ford thought they would pay out.

I don't think this one of the reasons for the move. Nissan isn't really owned by Renualt. They hold a 44% stake in Nissan (Nissan has a 15% stake in Renault) but Nissan and Renault (aside from Ghosn, who presides over both companies) are two seperate groups. In other words, Renault doesn't have an influence over Nissan's decisions.

When the Japanese started selling cars in the U.S., they all opened up import offices in LA, because 1) LA is close to Japan (compared to say, Detroit, or New York), 2) LA had a lot of Japanese people for them to employ locally, and 3) LA is a major port. These points matter less now, because Nissan's American operations are less Japan oriented, so there is less reason for them to be in LA. Edited by Shantanu

What makes you think Nissan isn't losing employees already?

Tell me this, how exactly is a middle class household on an engineer's or accountant's salary supposed to afford a decent home in LA?  I'm not talking about a McMansion here, I'm talking about a 3 bedroom in a respectable school district.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8486137/
http://www.realestatejournal.com/columnist...ivingthere.html

LA has the second least affordable housing market in the country.  The incomes may be a bit above average, but the housing costs maybe 2-3 times as much.  How are non-movie stars supposed to afford a middle class-living? :huh:

You can go on a rampage about "corporate greed" at this point if you want, but my guess is that Nissan's engineers and accountants are already paid much more than their counterparts in other cities, but at the same time this may not be enough to afford the same standard of living as others in their field.  So they may be ditching Nissan in droves, which is something that would not surprise me.

The decision seems to make sense to me on a number of levels, not the least of which is that Nissan is half owned by the French now, and Tennessee is closer to Europe than LA.  Also Nissan is the most gas guzzler dependent of the import brands, and their sales have been leveling off in the past few months.  They've run out of new market segements to enter.  They may be making this move ahead of a probable financial cruch that faces them.
On a day to day basis those things matters little to the average person, especially when compared to the major factors of *salary* and *affordable housing* and *decent schools*.  It matters even less if you don't have the money to enjoy those things.  Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouths, kid.

[post="41462"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

"Kid?"

I must be the oldest "kid" around.....I don't know what your comment was supposed to entail....

BUT....I have a corporate sales & marketing job, am NOT rich, but live in Southern California in a townhouse worth $675K. HOW? Because I've lived in California for nine years and this is the fifth house I've owned here. I've done VERY well in real estate here and that has helped me to live a more-than-comfortable life here.

Many Nissan employees HAVE lived here for awhile and if you do it smart, you can build a good lifestyle off of real estate "fortunes" in this state.

Sure....as I said in my post (if you read it carefully enough) there ARE people that can't afford to live here, or havent' had the benefit of buying and selling homes here....or rent and can't afford to buy....and those people likely will move.....and I can understand that totally.

And all those "attributes" I mentioned about living in Southern California? You are damn straight people DO care about those things....or they wouldn't put up with the exhorbitant prices and traffic to stay here.

Many factors weigh in....but there's no question the buzz in southern California is that many of these Nissan people DON'T want to leave and will be in a very tough quandry....

Lest we forget, Ford got caught up on the same stupid "California Car Culture" bandwagon a couple of years ago.

They moved their Premier Automotive Group (Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin) offices from NJ to LA.  How stupid is that?  These companies have corporate HQ's in Detroit and operations on the other side of the world in Europe.  The head of the group left after a few months because it was ridiculously far away from his native Germany.

They also merged Lincoln and Mercury with PAG (completely abandoning their Midwestern roots), and moved them out to LA too.  Thinking that the California Car Culture would work its wonders and make them winners.  Didn't work.  Lincoln and Mercury were soon moved back to save money, and PAG still lingers on in LA, most of its brands still haven't delivered the big sales or big profits that Ford thought they would pay out.
When the Japanese started selling cars in the U.S., they all opened up import offices in LA, because 1) LA is close to Japan (compared to say, Detroit, or New York), 2) LA had a lot of Japanese people for them to employ locally, and 3) LA is a major port.  These points matter less now, because Nissan's American operations are less Japan oriented, so there is less reason for them to be in LA.

[post="41474"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

First of all, L/M's "California experiement" failed because Ford never embraced the ideal, even though they moved them out here. Ask ANY L/M or Ford employee you know and you'll see that Dearborn never gave them the level of support or the empowerment to take action and do the things that the new California employees wanted to do. Dearborn still pulled the strings....and didn't listen to the people they moved out here.

Secondly, the asian companies didn't move to L.A because they could employ more asians....that's ludicrous. I worked for two asian companies and there were a majority of white, black, and hispanic people that worked there. Sure there are asians that work there....but asians in L.A. do alot more than just work for asian car companies....

Nissans are terrible cars. Good-riddance! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! These are just admin jobs at an HQ building. Nissan is still leaving its design center in San Diego. Consider this though... Toyota does well in California because they build Tacomas and Corollas here. Nissan, what have you done for California lately?

BUT....I have a corporate sales & marketing job, am NOT rich, but live in Southern California in a townhouse worth $675K.  HOW?  Because I've lived in California for nine years and this is the fifth house I've owned here.  I've done VERY well in real estate here and that has helped me to live a more-than-comfortable life here.

[post="41499"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You brag about your new Corvette, your S500, your BMW X5, and I'm sure I am forgetting some...you and your partner do seem kind of "rich" from statements you make like that. There's nothing wrong with that, and I come from a well-off family, BUT it seems kind of obnoxious to either put on airs then deny you are rich OR to "name-drop" your financial status and then deny you are rich. I do not know you and do not know which is true, but I'm just saying...you kinda give off the impression of having a good deal of money. Again, nothing wrong with it, but don't perpetuate an image on the board and then deny it.

You brag about your new Corvette, your S500, your BMW X5, and I'm sure I am forgetting some...you and your partner do seem kind of "rich" from statements you make like that.  There's nothing wrong with that, and I come from a well-off family, BUT it seems kind of obnoxious to either put on airs then deny you are rich OR to "name-drop" your financial status and then deny you are rich.  I do not know you and do not know which is true, but I'm just saying...you kinda give off the impression of having a good deal of money.  Again, nothing wrong with it, but don't perpetuate an image on the board and then deny it.

[post="41511"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Croc....what's with the attitude?

First of all, I've never "bragged" about my cars. I'm sorry if I have nice cars. Last time I heard, this was an automotive enthusiast website (GM fans) and many of us own non-GM cars....in addition to our GM cars.

If it comes up in a post what kind of car I have, then so-be-it. If you are jealous of that, or you think I'm "bragging" about them, then that's your problem and not mine.

I've never "name-dropped" any financial status.....because I'm not rich.....we both have good jobs, two car payments, and a mortagage...just like many other couples out there. And you know what? We DIDN'T come from well-off families.

I don't know WHAT your problem is, but you need to hold your personal judgements to yourself.....I don't wanna read 'em on here Croc.

Why don't you get to KNOW me first......you know we both have email addresses....? Then if you STILL think I'm like that, you can post on here about me to your heart's content......

(Sorry for off-topic)

Just telling you how it can come across sometimes, especially with the near-constant, exaggerated bashing you engage in of GM products. Some (read: quite a bit) is over the top and turns people off. Again, just telling how it all comes across at times. EDIT: Again, I have nothing personal against you; I don't know you. I'm sure you're a great guy. Sometimes your criticism of GM comes across as way harsh and whether intentional or not, sometimes you seem to "name-drop." Edited by Croc

Nissans are terrible cars. Good-riddance! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

You're basing this off of...?

Consider this though... Toyota does well in California because they build Tacomas and Corollas here. Nissan, what have you done for California lately?

[post="41509"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This for one:

Nissan Provides $100,000 in Scholarships for Local High School Seniors [Apr. 19, 05]

Nissan seeks applicants for the Nissan-UNCF “SHIFT_” knowledge Scholarship Program

GARDENA, Calif. (April 19, 2005) – Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) and the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) are currently seeking applicants for its NISSAN-UNCF “SHIFT_” knowledge Scholarship Program.

The NISSAN-UNCF “SHIFT_” knowledge scholarship was created in 2004 to recognize the academic achievement and leadership qualities of students, and to honor the rich legacy of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).

The program will award a total of $100,000 in scholarships to 10 Los Angeles-based high school seniors planning to attend a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) in Fall 2005. Ten scholarships of $10,000 will be awarded.

The minimum eligibility requirements for scholarship applicants include currently being a high school senior enrolled in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD); having a minimum 3.0 GPA and pursuing majors in the fields of engineering, design, marketing, business, communications, public relations, finance or law.

“We are thrilled to partner with UNCF and open the doors of opportunity for a deserving student,” said Terri Hines, senior manager of public affairs for NNA. “This scholarship embodies Nissan’s commitment to enriching people’s lives through education.”

Students should see their guidance counselor for more details about the program or apply on-line at www.uncf.org. In addition to completing the application form, students must submit a
one-page essay, an official high school transcript, a letter of recommendation from a teacher and a community leader, and a letter of acceptance from an HBCU for enrollment in Fall 2005. The application deadline is June 6, 2005.

About Nissan North America, Inc.

In North America, Nissan’s operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. More information on Nissan North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at www.nissanusa.com and www.infiniti.com.

About The United Negro College Fund

The United Negro College Fund is the nation’s largest, oldest, most successful and most comprehensive minority higher education assistance organization. UNCF provides operating funds and technology enhancement services for 38 member historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs), scholarships and internships for students at almost 1,000 institutions and faculty and administrative professional training.

Over 60 years, the United Negro College Fund has raised more than $2 billion to help a total of more than 300,000 students attend college and has distributed more funds to help minorities attend school than any entity outside of the government.

---

...and like you said...

Nissan is still leaving its design center in San Diego.

What's with the anger? :huh:

So...you work for the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce now?

I hardly think Nissan gives two shits about California's temperate climate and dining choices in making this decision. Also, its not that big of a deal - you either move, or you don't. Period. I know a few pilots who flew for Lincare who chose to stay in Tampa Bay rather than move to Birmingham when they moved their wing of exec jets up there. They're still alive, the company is still alive...so yeah...

Anyway, probably what everyone's been trying to say - cost of operations and proximity to their manufacturing facilities.

Just telling you how it can come across sometimes, especially with the near-constant, exaggerated bashing you engage in of GM products.  Some (read: quite a bit) is over the top and turns people off.  Again, just telling how it all comes across at times.
EDIT: Again, I have nothing personal against you; I don't know you.  I'm sure you're a great guy.  Sometimes your criticism of GM comes across as way harsh and whether intentional or not, sometimes you seem to "name-drop."

[post="41521"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:unsure:

Croc...sorry....not trying to be overly sensative, but I didn't have things handed to me...we worked hard for what we have and I struggled for MANY years living here but in the end, it's payed off nicely for us. That's all.

Dude....I love this company.....and you are right. I am VERY critical of GM. I wouldn't call it "exaggerated bashing" of GM, but I would call it harsh criticism and I admit that.

I used to be "blindly loyal" to GM and I don't like that about myself. I don't WANT to make excuses for GM. That's why I'm vocal about the crappy interior materials on a Solstice, or the aged W-body chassis on the LaCrosse, or the cartoonish design of certain past Pontiacs.

If you remember, I've given more than enough props to GM when IMHO they HAVE done things right. And no one else is happier than I am to see them come out with the C6, or the new Tahoe/Escalade, or even the Lucerne.....for example.

I wasn't "bragging" about the C6....merely pointing out a few times that if I didn't have a certain confidence in GM, I wouldn't have spent the money on buying a Corvette. I see it as a big investment financially in the General....a big vote of confidence on my part.

About the my house and what it cost....also not "bragging" here....just trying to make a point that a "normal" non-celebrity and non-millionaire can make it here and live comfortably here. But it IS tough to do, and it was tough for us for many years and I recognize that not everyone will want to go through that to live here.

I hope that clears up some of it. AND for the record, while I don't hide my affection for the X5, I have shared much of my criticism for the shoddy quality of the S500.

Now....back to Nissan and Nashville.......

B)

First of all, L/M's "California experiement" failed because Ford never embraced the ideal, even though they moved them out here.  Ask ANY L/M or Ford employee you know and you'll see that Dearborn never gave them the level of support or the empowerment to take action and do the things that the new California employees wanted to do.  Dearborn still pulled the strings....and didn't listen to the people they moved out here.

Well you can spin anything that way if you want. I don't know how much truth there is to that, because Ford was blowing money like crazy in the 1990's. They were making hand over fist on their trucks and SUVs. They spent billions more than they needed to buying out completely useless Euro automakers like Jaguar and Land Rover that had a name, some cachet, and little else. But who knows, maybe the high cost of living in California got to them with Lincoln and Mercury. :lol:

Secondly, the asian companies didn't move to L.A because they could employ more asians....that's ludicrous.  I worked for two asian companies and there were a majority of white, black, and hispanic people that worked there.  Sure there are asians that work there....but asians in L.A. do alot more than just work for asian car companies....

Oh, there are more white people than Asians in America? I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out.

Seriously though, the decision to setup import offices back was back in the 1960's. And the Japanese wanted to go to a city that had a large number of Japanese people already, and LA was that city. This meant that Japanese people were accepted locally (back in those days, racism was a real concern in many parts of the U.S.), and also the Japanese employees who didn't know English so well could have the help of a local bilingual staff. I know so because a former President of Nissan that I saw on TV said as much. Why does that seem so implausible to you? Why do you think the Hispanic TV industry is HQed in Miami, and not - say - Minneapolis? Or, why do many ethnic newspapers have their HQs in New York, and not Fargo, ND? I would think that a real estate wiz like you would be able to figure something obvious like that out.

Well you can spin anything that way if you want.  I don't know how much truth there is to that, because Ford was blowing money like crazy in the 1990's.  They were making hand over fist on their trucks and SUVs.  They spent billions more than they needed to buying out completely useless Euro automakers like Jaguar and Land Rover that had a name, some cachet, and little else.  But who knows, maybe the high cost of living in California got to them with Lincoln and Mercury. :lol:
Oh, there are more white people than Asians in America?  I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out. 

Seriously though, the decision to setup import offices back was back in the 1960's.  And the Japanese wanted to go to a city that had a large number of Japanese people already, and LA was that city.  This meant that Japanese people were accepted locally (back in those days, racism was a real concern in many parts of the U.S.), and also the Japanese employees who didn't know English so well could have the help of a local bilingual staff.  I know so because a former President of Nissan that I saw on TV said as much.  Why does that seem so implausible to you?  Why do you think the Hispanic TV industry is HQed in Miami, and not - say - Minneapolis?  Or, why do many ethnic newspapers have their HQs in New York, and not Fargo, ND?  I would think that a real estate wiz like you would be able to figure something obvious like that out.

[post="41560"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Believe it or not, per capita, there's more asian people in the San Francisco Bay Area....AND there's a big port there (Oakland.)

I think they settled on Southern California because, yes, it's closer to Asia. Secondly, there is the largest port complex in the country here (the combined L.A./Long Beach port.) Third, there's a (very) large population of educated white-collar workers. Fourth, Los Angeles has been labled a "Pacific Rim" city because of all the ties we have to those nations economically.

So...you work for the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce now?

I hardly think Nissan gives two shits about California's temperate climate and dining choices in making this decision. Also, its not that big of a deal - you either move, or you don't. Period. I know a few pilots who flew for Lincare who chose to stay in Tampa Bay rather than move to Birmingham when they moved their wing of exec jets up there. They're still alive, the company is still alive...so yeah...

Anyway, probably what everyone's been trying to say - cost of operations and proximity to their manufacturing facilities.

[post="41554"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Read Peter's comments about this issue in this week's AutoExtremist.

The cost of operations is a non-issue. Everything in California had been paid for a LONG time ago...and the longer they keep their brick-and-mortar, it will only keep going up in value.

He explains quite clearly why the costs of operation in Nashville will not be as beneficial long-term.....even considering the tax advantages the state and city are giving them.

It most likely has to do with the fact that a dollar goes farther in Nashville.  Nissan probably wants to hire mostly new workers whom they can pay a lot less dollar-wise.  SoCal is way more expensive than Nashville.  And wages reflect that.

[post="41573"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You could have a good point with that.....

They FIGURED that many people would not move......and you are right, they can hire new workers and pay them alot less.....

Do you think that's a good enough reason for them to do it, however? I'm totally confused....

Even more confused about reading Peter's comments about the operations cost issue...

Regardless of the LT outcome, if you ask any Nissan dealer or employee, they'll tell you that Nissan is a company in internal turmoil. The move to TN has been anticipated for a while now, and it's next to impossible to get anything done within the company. EVERYBODY is looking for a new job, and the frustration level with Ghosn's style of "do or be fired" is high. Morale stinks. Good luck running Nissan, Carlos, when 1000 of your 1300 employees are expected to bail.

Seems shortsighted. Say goodbye to all the talent, and good luck trying to attract new talent. L.A.'s expensive, but that's because a lot of people want to be there, and for good reason. And automotively, it's on the cutting edge of the country. The buildings in Gardena on Figueroa have been a fixture forever. I hope Nissan keeps them. I've owned one Nissan vehicle, a pickup I got from Torrance Nissan, and it was cheap and a real workhorse. Over the years Nissan vehicles have been uneven, some with great quality, others not so, some with great styling, others not so, but they have not been boring the way that Toyotas generally are.

The buildings in Gardena on Figueroa have been a fixture forever.  I hope Nissan keeps them.

[post="41726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, it was in the original Gone in 60 Seconds... except it said "Datsun."

We have two neighbors who work for Nissan, both have an EV wagon and Quest, interestingly. I can't imagine them and their kids moving to Nashville any time soon. The Nissan, Honda, and Toyota HQs are all within 25 minutes from our house, and their PR-friendly contributions to our community are great.

You're basing this off of...?
This for one:

Nissan Provides $100,000 in Scholarships for Local High School Seniors [Apr. 19, 05]

[post="41529"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In answer to why Nissans are terrible cars... Consider this from Consumer Reports, "Nissan took the biggest dive in Consumer Reports’ reliability ratings. Four out of five of the vehicles produced in the automakers Canton, Miss plant and they were all given poor marks... the Nissan Armada and Infiniti QX56 had abysymmal ratings (151% and 297% below average, respectively)" The Nissan quest was named least reliable minivan and the Nissan Titan was named the least reliable large truck.

As for the United Negro Scholarships for California, I believe this shows a gross misunderstanding of California's demographics. California has one of the lowest percentages of black residents in the entire USA. Maybe Latino or non-race based scholarships would have been more appropriate.

In answer to why Nissans are terrible cars... Consider this from Consumer Reports, "Nissan took the biggest dive in Consumer Reports’ reliability ratings. Four out of five of the vehicles produced in the automakers Canton, Miss plant and they were all given poor marks... the Nissan Armada and Infiniti QX56 had abysymmal ratings (151% and 297% below average, respectively)" The Nissan quest was named least reliable minivan and the Nissan Titan was named the least reliable large truck.

[post="41738"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There's a reason some people question CR's ratings. They have a lack of consistency. I'm reading their 2006 Annual Buying Guide. The Titan has no black (poor) or half-black (fair) marks and is listed as having average reliability. Plus, they don't say what exactly the problems are. For instance, the Quest has a black mark for body integrity. They define "body integrity" as "seals, weather stripping, air and water leaks, wind noise, rattle and squeaks". Fine...now which it is it that got the car a black mark? Not to say this makes the problems non-existant but I like to know the specifics. Something like wind noise has nothing to do with reliability, know what I mean?

J.D. Power says the Quest, Armada, Titan, and QX56 were all majorily improved from the growing pains they suffered being first-year models in a brand-new plant.

I happen to think Nissan makes good cars. Maybe not as "tightly screwed together" as some Toyotas and Hondas but more exciting than them, at least. Edited by VarianceJ30

What's pompous about my remarks?

Do you not agree?   ^_^

And if you don't, I'd LOVE to hear your comments as to why......

P.S.....Nashville is not that hillbilly....

[post="41460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The implication that CA 'matters most' in spite of its large population and free flowing culture. Edited by regfootball

There's a reason some people question CR's ratings. They have a lack of consistency. I'm reading their 2006 Annual Buying Guide. The Titan has no black (poor) or half-black (fair) marks and is listed as having average reliability. Plus, they don't say what exactly the problems are. For instance, the Quest has a black mark for body integrity. They define "body integrity" as "seals, weather stripping, air and water leaks, wind noise, rattle and squeaks". Fine...now which it is it that got the car a black mark? Not to say this makes the problems non-existant but I like to know the specifics. Something like wind noise has nothing to do with reliability, know what I mean?

J.D. Power says the Quest, Armada, Titan, and QX56 were all majorily improved from the growing pains they suffered being first-year models in a brand-new plant.

I happen to think Nissan makes good cars. Maybe not as "tightly screwed together" as some Toyotas and Hondas but more exciting than them, at least.

[post="41742"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the quest had major problems with rattling sliding doors. just now, 2 years after release, the sliding doors are coming off the line defect free mostly. aside from that the quest had numerous other problems. I honestly would be here all night if i tried to list them all.

it was 16 days ago i agreed to terms on getting a new quest. the sales gal went to tell the sales manager about when i wanted it delivered so they could get the car prepped. she came back to me with a bombshell. i couldn't take delivery of a new quest. nissan, due to a recall on the middle row seat latches, had decided to not let any quests leave lots until they could ship dealers the part and get them fixed...minimum three weeks. they said they would guarantee my price and give me a free altima loaner for as long as it took to get the recall done and such.

an altima......hmmmmm....like i want to drive a cheesy piece of sh--t/crapbox like that. even if its only for a 'minimum of three weeks'. so i said, 'see ya' and went and got something else.

bye bye nissan. the quest and many other canton cars and other nissans have all sorts of dumbass crap like that these days. too bad, their engines kick ass. Edited by regfootball

Once people see how clean the air is, how nice the countryside is, and how inexpensive the houses are, it seems likely that a much greater percentage than many people have suggested will make the move. They can buy a mansion in the new location for the price of a two bedroom shack in most parts of LA. Most of those who move will adjust and then be very thankful that the opportunity occurred. After the horrible election results yesterday, it is reasonable to believe that taxes and regulations will zoom in California in the years ahead. The climate here is nice, but that does not mean that other places are not nice, nor that people will tolerate anything to be here. Edited by FSTephenMasek

Once people see how clean the air is, how nice the countryside is, and how inexpensive the houses are, it seems likely that a much greater percentage than many people have suggested will make the move.  They can buy a mansion in the new location for the price of a two bedroom shack in most parts of LA.  Most of those who move will adjust and then be very thankful that the opportunity occurred. 

After the horrible election results yesterday, it is reasonable to believe that taxes and regulations will zoom in California in the years ahead.  The climate here is nice, but that does not mean that other places are not nice, nor that people will tolerate anything to be here.

[post="41747"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am sure that Tennessee is quite beautiful. Houses are cheaper and land is plentiful but lets face it, Nashville is not what it was 20 years ago. Housing is getting expensive, the air is not as clean, and it has all the same problems as any large U.S. city. The bad part about moving to Tennessee is that your children will grow up with less advantages in terms of education, opportunity and diversity.

As for California, I seriously doubt that taxes will increase much. We are the fifth largest economy in the world. We will be out of trouble in a few years. I'm more worried about the huge deficits of the Federal government. Those deficits will affect California and Tennessee the same.

People from everywhere are spread all over the USA, especially wherever there is one or more good university, and the schools just about anywhere beat those in most of the LA area

From recent rankings in U.S. News.

Top National Universities

3 California Schools were in the top 20. (30 million people)

at #5 Stanford
at #7 California Institute of Technology (L.A. area)
at #20-tie UC Berkeley - one of the highest ranked Public Shools on the list!

For the entire Southern USA (91 million people)

at #17 Rice University
at #18 Vanderbilt University
at #20-tie Emory University

Top Liberal Arts Colleges

3 California Schools were in the top 20. (30 million people)

#6 Pomona College (L.A. area)
#10 Claremont McKenna College (L.A. area)
#18 Harvey Mudd College (L.A. area)

For the entire Southern USA (91 million people)

none.

SO, what are you talking about? Edited by SoCalCTS

People from everywhere are spread all over the USA, especially wherever there is one or more good university, and the schools just about anywhere beat those in most of the LA area.  That last fact is truely a disgrace for an area with as much money as southern CA (and so much spent per student for such lousy results).

[post="42038"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

.....and you can thank a good portion of those lousy schools on the illegal immigrant situation that is draining our financial resources in this state......all those illegal immigrant kids do nothing to help reduce student-to-teacher ratios either...

As a result, most middle-class families put their kids through private schools here, however.....so the kids are mostly getting a good education, it's just not through the public school system unfortunately....

.....and you can thank a good portion of those lousy schools on the illegal immigrant situation that is draining our financial resources in this state......all those illegal immigrant kids do nothing to help reduce student-to-teacher ratios either...

As a result, most middle-class families put their kids through private schools here, however.....so the kids are mostly getting a good education, it's just not through the public school system unfortunately....

[post="42336"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wouldn't go so far as to say that private schools are the only choice... there are plenty of excellent public schools here, high school and below. We live in the South Bay area of LA, and the PVPUSD and beach cities (Redondo, Manhattan, Hermosa) schools are among the best of the nation. Even inland, there are some serious schools in areas like San Marino or Pasadena.

I think that a definite car "culture" exists in Southern California, and I think that Nissan and many other makes either consciously or subconsiously benefit from this culture...though not all of them, i.e. Lincoln/Mercury..for whatever reason. And, like it or not, for better or for worse, the huge metropolitain area that makes up the Southern California skews toward import car buyers. And, a lot of the country follows trends that are set in Southern California. So, I think that Nissan is rocking the boat on this...certain industries benefit from being in areas that have a balance of the culture that impacts their core business, othere similar members of their industry, and the talent pool for staffing...I think that if Warner Brothers were to move from Hollywood to say, Omaha, it might end up being very problematic for them to find the same overall balance that they have access to now in the middle of Hollywood...even though Omaha might prove cheaper for them to operate in. Yes, I know other car companies are setting up shop in other "non car" pockets of the country outside of Detroit and Southern California..but unless memory fails me, these were new operations that I do not think resulted in the move of the core organization the way that Nissan is planning to do. At any rate, I cannot help but feel that Nissan is playing with fire on this one...I hope I am wrong...who knows, maybe it is a brilliant strategy, and GM will end up moving everybody to Provo, Utah.

Lets step away and think about Nissans decision for a second but with these caveats. Would I want to move from the LA area and uproot my family and head to Nashville. No. If I worked at DPH and was told I would be making 10 buck an hour starting next month, I would be very upset to say the least. But, after some time people get over it and... Now, if I ran Nissan and wanted to consolodate my US operations to make decision making easier. This move to TN is smart in the long term. Because Nissan had their HQ in LA metro was not the reason why they have succeeded. Prior to Ghosen, Nissan was a bust and their HQ for NA was in LA. The importance of having your HQ in LA is over rated. What does it really give you. Nothing, beyond enthusiasts stating how important the market is. Yes, the market is important but so is the rest of the world. Does anyone really think that Honda designs for CA or does Honda, Nissan, Toyota just happen to design products that appeal to those in CA not because of it. HQ location means very little. Edited by evok

Hasn't anyone thought about the fact that Nissan just wants to be different? Like you've been saying, almost every car manufacturer has some sort of office in LA or California as a whole, so why stay there? Go somewhere else, attract new and different talent, care less about what the company next door is doing/designing. I think Nissan wants to get away from it all, get away from the typical location and start fresh. Change can be good.

Hasn't anyone thought about the fact that Nissan just wants to be different?  Like you've been saying, almost every car manufacturer has some sort of office in LA or California as a whole, so why stay there?  Go somewhere else, attract new and different talent, care less about what the company next door is doing/designing.  I think Nissan wants to get away from it all, get away from the typical location and start fresh.  Change can be good.

[post="42509"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, people here are reading into it too much. Centralizing operations and the decision making process is key. Nissan NA in CA is primarily a sales, service and marketing organization.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that private schools are the only choice... there are plenty of excellent public schools here, high school and below. We live in the South Bay area of LA, and the PVPUSD and beach cities (Redondo, Manhattan, Hermosa) schools are among the best of the nation. Even inland, there are some serious schools in areas like San Marino or Pasadena.

[post="42361"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

empowah, you're right.....didn't mean to generalize.......like in the South Bay, here in south O.C. there's a bunch of award-winning public schools.....but I know that in many places in the southland public schools aren't as fortunate....

.....and to change gears.......let's put this in a "domestic" perspective....what if GM decided to uproot and leave Detroit and the midwest? Set up shop in the south....where all the transplants are....start anew....get out of the Michigan mindset.... Move white collar operations....sales, marketing, and service...? I know it's about as likely to happen as hell freezing over....but it's an intriguing thing to think about....long term.... If Nissan's deciding it's good for them.....maybe it's the kind of fresh thinking that the General needs to consider.

.....and to change gears.......let's put this in a "domestic" perspective....what if GM decided to uproot and leave Detroit and the midwest?

Set up shop in the south....where all the transplants are....start anew....get out of the Michigan mindset....

Move white collar operations....sales, marketing, and service...?

I know it's about as likely to happen as hell freezing over....but it's an intriguing thing to think about....long term....

If Nissan's deciding it's good for them.....maybe it's the kind of fresh thinking that the General needs to consider.

[post="42683"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

uh, they tried this before. It was called Saturn and they moved to Spring Hill, TN to get away from the "Michigan mindset." We all know how well that worked out!

There is an old adage...... and empty can with one stone makes more noise than one that is full. If you haven't been in their shoes, don't speculate! I got relocated to Tennessee when I took employment from a Chicago-suburb-based company. We had many fears and concerns, but it was not what we had anticipated.... it was better! I lived South of Nashville in Rutherford county. It was great and had MANY, MANY opportunities for YOUNG people to learn and grow, at an affordable rate! I have also visited Southern California, and interviewed for jobs up by "Silicon Valley". You could not pay me enough money to move out there to live and work in that crazy zoo! How many manufacturing facilities do you find in California, besides the JOINT venture plant of Toyota and GM....... and we know how smart some of the recent decisions of GM have been...... like FIAT! Why do you think that the off-shore manufacturers came to the Mid-West and South-East when locating in the U.S.? Cheap labor was not the only reason. STABILITY of the local political climate is one of the major factors in site selection. Also, since Nissan already has 2 plants in TN., a phyically closer link can only be a positive in intercommunications, ignoring the current love for things electronic. If you have never visited the Mid-States, Nashville area, you are speaking like a blind man trying to describe an elephant! There are many cultural, educational and entertaining venues in middle TN, tan you can imagine. AND....... I don't live there anymore, so I am not a PR spokeperson for their Chamber-of-Commerce, as you appear to be for CA.!!!!!!!!

I have also visited Southern California, and interviewed for jobs up by
"Silicon Valley". You could not pay me enough money to move out there to
live and work in that crazy zoo!

How many manufacturing facilities do you find in California, besides the JOINT
venture plant of Toyota and GM.......

[post="42772"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have been to Nashville and likewise could not be paid enough to move there. Mainly because the people were so narrow minded.

As to answer to how many manufacturing facilities there are in California, the answer is 49,291 (2000 U.S. Census) and thats more than twice as many as any other state.

Not only do we build cars here, we build ships, planes, manufacture medicine, computers, electronics (cell phones, tv's, etc), automotive parts, spoting goods and the list goes on.

So obviously "you are speaking like a blind man trying to describe an elephant!" Edited by SoCalCTS

I have been to Nashville and likewise could not be paid enough to move there. Mainly because the people were so narrow minded.

Hmmmm, sounds like you're the narrow minded one.

So give us an example of someone from Nashville being "narrow minded" to you,or just maybe it had something to do with your whining little attitude???

I have a feeling you like to make things up.........now go to your room. :rolleyes: Edited by rocky@thetop

My example of narrow-minded (as judged from my own experience) is that they are overtly racist, homophobic and give more weight to religious dogma than science. And as for making things up, what I have said is factual. Your accusation is juvenile and baseless. Who are you Karl Rove? Go to your room young man!