Fish Tanks

NOS2006

Aw...even though it's blurry I know an Iridescent Shark when I see one. :(

We used to have 3, along with 3 Silver Tip Sharks. They got along fine, until we went on vacation and my brother didn't feed them enough...the Silver Tips killed the Iridescents.

At one point, our 29 gallon tank had the above mentioned fish, an angel, a cherry barge, a rainbow Shark, and Gold Shark (have never seen another one of those) and Mollies.

The Mollie had babies, and we managed to raise them for a good 4 months before a disease killed them all in the 10 gallon tank.

Currently we have an empty 2, 5 and 10 gallon tank, and the 29 with 2 increasingly large Silver Tips (which we've had for about 3 years and survived the trip up from KS in a cooler), and a Pleco.

We're gonna wait until we have our own place to 1.) get bigger tank for the big fish and 2.) get more fish since it would mean more fish to move when that day eventually comes.

Fish Tanks reminds me of a joke -

Fish Tank Logic.

A dimwit - an aspirant lawyer had problems understanding the logical reasonings in LSAT tests. No matter how hard he tried he could not come up with logic to justify the correct answer for a question. While studying with one of his intelligent buddies the day before the exam, the dimwit asks the smarter guy to explain him logic. The intelligent dude tells the dimwit - "logic is easy. Here is an example how I will help you understand it. I see you have a fish tank."

Dimwit - Yes!

Intelligent Dude - There are two sharks, a turtle and a star fish in it.

DW - Yes

ID - They look healthy, so I am assuming You must be taking good care of them.

DW - Yes I love those things to death.

ID - You feed them everyday?

DW - Yes

ID - Who feeds them when you are busy?

DW - My wife.

ID - Which means you are married.

DW - Yes.

ID - See by asking right questions, I could logically derive you were married based on a fish tank. Similarly in the actual test based on the information provided derive a string of logic and ask yourselves questions which will give you the right answer.

DW - Super, now I get it. I am gonna crack the LSAT!!

On the day of the test the dimwit meets another dimwit who has difficulty with logic. Concerned with his pal not getting the logic, the first dimwit says, "Hey I can teach you logic really quick and it will give you a great insight to crack the questions."

The first dimwit continues, "Now tell me if you have a fishtank." To which the second dimwit replies no.

Confused with the answer the the first dimwit starts scratching his head to look for chain of logic. Then with sparkle in his eyes he says out, "Then you are a homosexual! It is that simple."

Aw...even though it's blurry I know an Iridescent Shark when I see one. :(

We used to have 3, along with 3 Silver Tip Sharks. They got along fine, until we went on vacation and my brother didn't feed them enough...the Silver Tips killed the Iridescents.

At one point, our 29 gallon tank had the above mentioned fish, an angel, a cherry barge, a rainbow Shark, and Gold Shark (have never seen another one of those) and Mollies.

The Mollie had babies, and we managed to raise them for a good 4 months before a disease killed them all in the 10 gallon tank.

Currently we have an empty 2, 5 and 10 gallon tank, and the 29 with 2 increasingly large Silver Tips (which we've had for about 3 years and survived the trip up from KS in a cooler), and a Pleco.

We're gonna wait until we have our own place to 1.) get bigger tank for the big fish and 2.) get more fish since it would mean more fish to move when that day eventually comes.

Yeah, fishtanks are pretty sweet. They're not THAT hard to upkeep at all, just gotta do it kind of often. I admit to not knowing much about it all, but I know as much as the average person, probably more. I don't even know what size my tank is (probably 29 gallon), but whatever. It's just sweet to look at, and it gives a unique touch to a room. My mom put up the fish tank in the foyer a couple months ago, and it's probably about 5 feet wide. Very sweet. I'll take pictures sometime of all the fish tanks, but this time with a real camera haha.

Yeah, fishtanks are pretty sweet. They're not THAT hard to upkeep at all, just gotta do it kind of often. I admit to not knowing much about it all, but I know as much as the average person, probably more. I don't even know what size my tank is (probably 29 gallon), but whatever. It's just sweet to look at, and it gives a unique touch to a room. My mom put up the fish tank in the foyer a couple months ago, and it's probably about 5 feet wide. Very sweet. I'll take pictures sometime of all the fish tanks, but this time with a real camera haha.

On a small scale they may not be that hard to upkeep...

My buddy is into aquatics and fish tanks...kinda runs a small side business dealing with them which gives him access to wholesaler licenses.

He has a 200 gallon acrylic salt water reef tank, and let me tell you, upkeep is a bitch. The setup he has for the water exchange is pretty involved and there is a lot to it.

It is really cool when everything is working properly. Stability is the most vital part of the tank, because on that scale you are dealing with pretty much an ecosystem, and assuming everything stays stable (water, salt levels, ph levels, temperature and such) then it should just take care of itself. That definitely isn't a simple process though. I was going to have him set up a custom tank in our house...They are really cool, but the maintenance and upkeep is a huge turnoff.

Even talking about all the work gets me annoyed and frustrated, so I won't get into it. :P

I personally do not like Fish Tanks as they end up always having a weird smell over time and even when clean still have a stinky smell to them.

But very nice looking tanks, good luck.

I personally do not like Fish Tanks as they end up always having a weird smell over time and even when clean still have a stinky smell to them.

But very nice looking tanks, good luck.

They have to get pretty bad to start smelling. Yes the water smells when you do water changes, but the fish crap in there, so what do you expect? :P

So long as you keep up on it and have a good filter it won't smell.

I'll post some nice photos after I do a water change.

Last weekend we bought a slightly larger than 2 gallon tank and a Betta fish for my 3 y-o son. We were looking for a tank for goldfish until the store associate at PetsMart informed us of the maintenance and upkeep duties, and the fact that we would need a 6+ gallon tank for just 1 goldfish! I guess when he saw my face as he described the responsibilities he switched over to talking about Betta fish. It's been a week now and "Bruce", named by my little guy after the shark in "Finding Nemo", is happily swimming around in his home. The wife had to change the water though after only 6 days, as it was cloudy & dirty. But upkeep is a breeze compared to other fish!!

Last weekend we bought a slightly larger than 2 gallon tank and a Betta fish for my 3 y-o son. We were looking for a tank for goldfish until the store associate at PetsMart informed us of the maintenance and upkeep duties, and the fact that we would need a 6+ gallon tank for just 1 goldfish! I guess when he saw my face as he described the responsibilities he switched over to talking about Betta fish. It's been a week now and "Bruce", named by my little guy after the shark in "Finding Nemo", is happily swimming around in his home. The wife had to change the water though after only 6 days, as it was cloudy & dirty. But upkeep is a breeze compared to other fish!!

Betas are very low maintenance fish. Just feed them and once in a while change the water.

Nah Satty, I was going for something different. I cut out like a city-scape with the black laminated fish tank background stuff, then thought it'd look sweet with the aluminum foil slightly crinkled as the "sky" to the city. :smilewide:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking it may have been a better idea to install the air strip in the back of the tank and not the front. Oh well, I'll move it next time I clean it.

The larger of the two Silvertips is three years old, the smaller 2 and a half. These things are some of the most hearty fish I've ever owned. The 3 year old survived the trip up here from KS. Although actually, most of our fish survived that trip, but all but these two and 3 Iridescents died from some disease that swept through the tank a year or so ago. Then when we went on vacation lin January of `07 the 3 Iridescents were dead because the people we left them with are idiots and didn't feed teh fish enough.

We have a Pleco too, who is hiding behind the plants. We've had bad luck with them...gone through 4 or 5. This one started to get sick right after we brought it home, but I managed to treat it and it got better.

Veddy nice, DF. I remember selling those faux wood-frame fishtanks at the pet store I worked at in high school.

I like the faux wood tanks when matched with the real wood stand (like ours) better than the black plastic tanks. Unless teh stand is one of those nice black and brushed aluminum stands....those are sexy.

I'll try to get some better photos later.

We've just kept it to the 3 fish, because anything smaller will get eaten, and really the 29 isn't big enough for the Silvertips as it is. I remember when they were smaller than my thumb, now they're 2/3 the length of my forearm!

I like them but don't have them. Maybe in the future.

Most of all, they make a room seem more peaceful.

I agree, they add a nice touch to a room, a splash of life and color. I especially love the blue glow of saltwater tanks....but those are very high maintenance.

Aquariums are the best kind of water features. :)

Have a 5-gal tank in my house; 2 damned goldfish that don't know / refuse to admit they were never intended to live 5 years (coming from a plastic bag) and counting. Everytime the water starts to cloud, I am tempted to slip a Ethel-Glycol cocktail in there and just be done with it...