Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

"That'll buff right out."

Well the large streaks of blood going throw the car and staining the guardrail, as well as the rail itself: plus engine bits, steering wheel and whatever was in front of him, and whatever was behind him, would be indicative of that.

It's like a BMW Kabob.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the large streaks of blood going throw the car and staining the guardrail, as well as the rail itself: plus engine bits, steering wheel and whatever was in front of him, and whatever was behind him, would be indicative of that.

It's like a BMW Kabob.

Its a RHD model, and the guardrail went through the passenger side... It looks like it as blood on it, but something like that hitting a person would have caused a LOT more blood in the passenger compartment. I think the stains on the guardrail might be something else... tranny fluid, rust, primer, perhaps? The driver was likely relatively OK... except for the psychological therapy.

Guard rail spikes used to be a major problem... its amazing the tech that has gone into trying to prevent that from happening. Unfortunately, the measures only work once... if you are the unlikely driver to hit an already pulverized guardrail end, you are likely to get spiked.

Recently, a guardrail out in the middle of nowhere got trashed on the end, and the road department immediately fixed it all up... I swear a week later, someone trashed it again. This is a guardrail _way_ off an otherwise straight stretch of roadway. You would have to TRY to hit it. They must be making these things out of magnets!

Here was my poor Cadillac from October '07...seriously, from the impact with the corner of a plastic bumper cover on a Subaru Outback I DID (well, somehow), thought "it would buff right out". The impact, as I was moving forward relatively slowly but impacted on the side felt exactly like a bumper car jostle...until I kept moving forward and heard air coming in the side of the car. Real cars made of metal don't, uh, bump off one another as easily.

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

Subaru plastic bumper cover vs. the side of a Cadillac tank = peeled like an orange at 25mph...

Thankfully, somehow, by an act of God, after the wreck I then found someone nearby in PA when I was in school who was parting out TWO Fleetwoods...he got me every single itty bitty and large piece I needed (quarter panel and doors, to the chrome trim), and I delivered the car and the parts to the shop my brother works at. A little blue and red, with parts from another '93 and a '96 mixed in...but well on the way:

IMG_0723.jpg

A month later, wa-la:

Image00058.jpg

It now resides happily and garaged with a guy in the Chicago suburbs, so at least this smash up had a happy ending. And, in large part, thanks to the guy in PA I randomly found while searching Ebay, who was the saving grace in fix vs. salvage, with all the parts for cheap.

Edited by caddycruiser

Wow.... caddycruiser gotz a Gee-Ate?

I'm jealous!

Wow.... caddycruiser gotz a Gee-Ate?

I'm jealous!

Hell, in the last 7 months, a Fleetwood, a G6, a Malibu, and the G8. However sad, thankfully only the Fleetwood had a mishap...

As I've not posted elsewhere, my new sig seems to continue thread jacking;-) But hey, after the Fleetwood above, I NEEDED that GM V8 RWD feeling again...otherwise, it just felt like I was in someone else's rental, daily.

Edited by caddycruiser

Here was my poor Cadillac from October '07...seriously, from the impact with the corner of a plastic bumper cover on a Subaru Outback I DID (well, somehow), thought "it would buff right out". The impact, as I was moving forward relatively slowly but impacted on the side felt exactly like a bumper car jostle...until I kept moving forward and heard air coming in the side of the car. Real cars made of metal don't, uh, bump off one another as easily.

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

Subaru plastic bumper cover vs. the side of a Cadillac tank = peeled like an orange at 25mph...

Thankfully, somehow, by an act of God, after the wreck I then found someone nearby in PA when I was in school who was parting out TWO Fleetwoods...he got me every single itty bitty and large piece I needed (quarter panel and doors, to the chrome trim), and I delivered the car and the parts to the shop my brother works at. A little blue and red, with parts from another '93 and a '96 mixed in...but well on the way:

IMG_0723.jpg

A month later, wa-la:

Image00058.jpg

It now resides happily and garaged with a guy in the Chicago suburbs, so at least this smash up had a happy ending. And, in large part, thanks to the guy in PA I randomly found while searching Ebay, who was the saving grace in fix vs. salvage, with all the parts for cheap.

I wish everyone cared for their cars as much as you and your family do dude.

Its a RHD model, and the guardrail went through the passenger side... It looks like it as blood on it, but something like that hitting a person would have caused a LOT more blood in the passenger compartment. I think the stains on the guardrail might be something else... tranny fluid, rust, primer, perhaps? The driver was likely relatively OK... except for the psychological therapy.

Guard rail spikes used to be a major problem... its amazing the tech that has gone into trying to prevent that from happening. Unfortunately, the measures only work once... if you are the unlikely driver to hit an already pulverized guardrail end, you are likely to get spiked.

Recently, a guardrail out in the middle of nowhere got trashed on the end, and the road department immediately fixed it all up... I swear a week later, someone trashed it again. This is a guardrail _way_ off an otherwise straight stretch of roadway. You would have to TRY to hit it. They must be making these things out of magnets!

How can you tell it's a THD? I was trying to figure that out but can't see the steering wheel..just an airbag.

According to the site the driver was killed immediately. http://www.car-accidents.com/2007-auto-cra...uardrail-5.html

Fewother accidents like it on the site:

11_8-01_eclipse_2.jpg

guardrail-crash-1.jpg

3-25-05.jpg

According to the site, the first 2 were fatal, but amazingly the guy in the truck survived with only scratches.

Story about the wreck:

hello!!! i am from Georgia (former USSR) id like to send story of my accident , i think the most terrible accident ever,and if it is possible , or you will help me how to give information about my accident to mass media in USA, it happened 2007 february 23, the bmw 650 was brand new, i used it for 3 months, and when i was driving not very fast, about 80 km/h honda prelude hited me from the right side,i lost conrtol and hited the tree, the car was cut into two parts as well as head of my friend who was sitting next to me,he immediately died on the place because THE AIRBAG ON FRONT RIGHT SIDE DID NOT OPEN,and engine was found 30 metres away from cars body , i got injuries , and broke my back,and now i still have amnesia and dont remember half of my life, WE WILL HAVE PROCESS IN COURT with bmw in MUnich,and if its possible help me to get everybody know ;what a safe car BMW is'im sending some of pictures, plz write me on this email, and excusemoi for my bad english! thanks

Ushangi M.

PS we both had safety belts fastened!!

How can you tell it's a THD? I was trying to figure that out but can't see the steering wheel..just an airbag.

According to the site the driver was killed immediately. http://www.car-accidents.com/2007-auto-cra...uardrail-5.html

THD? Top Hand Drive? ;-)

In the lower right corner of the airbag is a black curved rim with a slight shine, or possibly stitching. You see maybe 20% of the circumference. Just behind that is the beige speaker in the door.

Granted, it is tough to determine... but I cannot think of any other object it could be. It the dash peeled back and to the right, the wheel would stay attached to the column, and I doubt it would have stayed attached.

I also don't see enough bits in the footwell to be pedals. Assuming the firewall has been pushed forward and keeping in mind that the pedals are some of the toughest, strongestly mounted bits of the car, they should be visible. I see one thing that could be a brake pedal from a manual-equipped car, but what would be the lever doesn't have the right curve. I don't see a clutch or throttle pedal, either. So, I assume its part of the HVAC or passenger side mounted electronics.

I could be completely wrong... its just my take from the photo. I also don't know if Dubai is RHD or LHD. I also seriously doubt some of what these websites say, as the people submitting the data tend to get things wrong. I have seen the saw wrecks on different sites with totally different stories.

I will say that its interesting that it looks like they started using the jaws of life on the left upper B pillar (to 68's delight) and A pillar... perhaps trying to remove the driver before realizing he was a goner.

Seeing the additional pictures, there is definitely more blood on the right side of the car... and the red stuff on the rail is likely blood... perhaps in the course of the crash, the driver got nipped by the rail and bled out on the right side of the car?

Note in photo 3, the picture has been badly touched up. Equidistant from the airbag to the right seat on the pillar. Also a much bigger area on the upper right seat and armrest. When you see the touch-up color they used, it stands out really obviously. And what is up with the blueish thing behind the seat in photo 3? Its not in photo 4.

Fascinating, yet gruesome, find there, DF.

Edited by SAmadei

Story about the wreck:

Hmm, that story stinks. The speed and the thought that a frontal? airbag would have saved someone's life from decap? Never mind that the guy says how safe the BMW is when someone died at a relatively below-average speed. It all just doesn't add up.

The guy who sells us our cars once cut open the side of a 1999 Olds LSS as if it was a soup can, the car was serving as a dealer demo car when he scraped it against a jagged metal post in reverse at 10kph.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Poor old H body ...

Wait, I forgot to mention the kicker with this one: a mailbox did that. And the damage to the mailbox? It was just tilted over and that's it.

Mailbox: 1. Buick: 0.

This just happend this morning, about 8am Dec 18, 2003. This is the story I was told, It was snowing, and the gentleman who hit the mailbox lost control, he started sliding, over corrected and slid sideways into my mailbox, Doing quite a bit of damage to his car.

Luckily he was not injured, The only damage to my mailbox was that it got pushed over, his car was not as lucky though. The drivers side door was heavily damaged.

But no one was hurt.

Here's a little history behind my mailbox, we used to get our box bashed by kids on a weekly basis, so I made this one to be unbashable, Its 1'x1'x2' and made from 1/4" thick steel plate, It sits on pole thats 6" in diameter, made from 1/4" thick steel, its buried in 4 feet of cement and another 2' of dirt.

Darren Submiited: December 18, 2003

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/acciden...y/12-18-03.html

2-26-06.jpg

Who needs a rifle and bullets? EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! can also take down two deer with one shot.

And you know a good old fashioned bottle of Mothers will bring that right on out.

My sister was going between 45-55 mph on her way home from work.she was going south on baxter springs kansas.A deer dashed in front of her slowing down and keeping her eye on that deer three more darted in front of her.She ended up hitting two deer weighing 90 lbs. and the other 173 lbs. No one was injuried but it tottaled her car.

http://www.car-accidents.com/2006-Auto-story/2-26-06.html

Hmm, that story stinks. The speed and the thought that a frontal? airbag would have saved someone's life from decap? Never mind that the guy says how safe the BMW is when someone died at a relatively below-average speed. It all just doesn't add up.

I dunno, but you can definitely see blood in the passenger compartment.

The extreme inertia necessary for an engine to swing hard enough to break a car in half doesn't happen at 40 mph. This story sounds bogus.

Agreed. I've seen relatively a flimsy Sunfire literally wrapped around a tree on the Garden State Parkway, and the car stayed intact.. that could be 80 mph, tops.

For a well built BMW to get ripped in two, you either where traveling 100+ mph or hit something solid going 70+ in the opposite direction.

4-29-02_after.jpg

EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holds up better than a BMW in a serious accident.

Here are photos of my "ex" car. On May 16, 2001, my boyfriend was traveling on the Dulles Toll Road in Northern Virginia. He was driving my 1997 Pontiac Sunfire GT. It was our only car at the time. He had been up working on his truck the night before so that he and I could have two automobiles.

Point being, he was so exhausted the next day that he fell asleep driving. From what I was told from the police, my boyfriend was traveling between 70-75 mph in the left lane when he dozed off. He sideswiped the left jersey wall first and this caused him to wake up. He remembers trying to regain control of the car but with no luck. It was then that the car shot to the right across all four lanes of traffic hitting the dividing, middle jersey wall between the two sides of the highway head on. The car then flipped between 3-5 times. Fortunately, no other cars were involved being that it was so early in the morning. The injuries he sustained were broken sternum, broken ribs, broken bone above front top teeth, missing teeth, broken teeth, split open head, air bag burns, and a part of his bottom lip was sliced off. He is lucky to be alive and what injuries remain are only cosmetic.

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/acciden...ep-crash-2.html

The extreme inertia necessary for an engine to swing hard enough to break a car in half doesn't happen at 40 mph. This story sounds bogus.

Exactly.

Princess Di died in a M-Benz S300 that hit a CEMENT pole

at over 100mph, and she STILL would have lived had she

had her seatbelt on... and the car did NOT rip in half.

That 6-series BMW, seriously, was probably doing 115mph

when that accident happened, or at LEAST 80mph. That

story is certainly not accurate!

mypoorcar.jpg

070830donavanwreck2.jpg

wreck.jpg

Edited by Sixty8panther

Exactly.

Princess Di died in a M-Benz S300 that hit a CEMENT pole

at over 100mph, and she STILL would have lived had she

had her seatbelt on... and the car did NOT rip in half.

That 6-series BMW, seriously, was probably doing 115mph

when that accident happened, or at LEAST 80mph. That

story is certainly not accurate!

She did not, the Queen had her killed ...

I was not even googling anything "classic"when this '59Chevy popped up:

georgestrattontrooperwr.jpg

20950237.i4mci7.JPG

2fatal02mza400.jpg

deer15.jpg

MORE:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/water-coole...ing-bloody.html

-

-

-

I always found night driving in rural Ohio certain times of the year unnerving because of the deer... esp. on my favorite winding, wooded backroads that I loved to drive fast on in the daytime in my Mustang....

Over the last 40 years, my Dad hit deer at least twice (minor damage) and my brother managed to total 2 cars in deer collisions, all within 3 miles of my folks' property (it's in a remote, heavily wooded, hilly area of eastern Ohio about 75 miles from Pittsburgh, 100 miles from Columbus, 100 miles from Cleveland).

got this in my email. here was the background story from the email.

An oncoming car clipped a deer and sent it straight up into the air.

The deer came down head-first into Clayton's brand new truck.

The deer's head went thru the front windshield, cutting the head (plus some) off,

and landed in Jill's lap. The body of the deer flipped up, smashed in the top of the truck,

and landed in the bed. Clayton couldn't see Jill from his side, because the top of the

truck was smashed in so horribly. He got out of the truck, went around, and opened the

door on her side...only to start flipping out, because she was literally drenched in blood.

However, neither one of them was hurt.

deer1.jpg

deer2.jpg

deer3.jpg

deer4.jpg

deer5.jpg

deer7.jpg

deer8.jpg

deer9.jpg

Yuck..pretty weak roof to collapse like that.

seems that way but you have to think that was prolly a 90lb deer, they were prolly doing 60 or so, thats a good deal of kinetic energy that has to go somewhere. when i wash the roof of my colorado it bows a little when i bear down on it.

Is that brown stuff deer poop? :P

unfortunately yes i think it is... terrible thing about it is that it hasnt had a chance to solidify... if you have ever field-dressed a deer and cut the wrong thing you know exactly how badly that truck smells.

got this in my email. here was the background story from the email.

An oncoming car clipped a deer and sent it straight up into the air.

The deer came down head-first into Clayton's brand new truck.

The deer's head went thru the front windshield, cutting the head (plus some) off,

and landed in Jill's lap. The body of the deer flipped up, smashed in the top of the truck,

and landed in the bed. Clayton couldn't see Jill from his side, because the top of the

truck was smashed in so horribly. He got out of the truck, went around, and opened the

door on her side...only to start flipping out, because she was literally drenched in blood.

However, neither one of them was hurt.

:yikes::mind-blowing::omfg::yuck::scared:

This thread is... marginally disturbing.

And deer can cause a ton of damage... that's why i always drive slowly around really woody areas cause i know my car wouldn't stand up very well to one of those suckers.

Does anyone have a picture of that old Volvo 240 wagon that went over a cliff or a hill or something and finally hit the ground upright with the passenger compartment largely intact and then driving off afterward?