"That'll buff right out."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is time to start exterminating deer for the vermin that they are, especially in populated areas.

problem is there are a lot of animal rights organizations that are trying to drum up all kinds of oppositions towards hunting. the truth of the matter is that responsible hunters help the deer out more than PETA and the like ever could. maintaining the deer population by hunting and creating habitats are what outdoorsmen strive at. once the deer population starts going up the overal populations health goes down, resources dwindle and even more insurance rates will start going up.

We have a secret fenced-in area out behind the bodyshop, where we raise deer. We train them to do certain things before we release them. My boss says I might be allowed to open the gate when this herd is ready to go. :ph34r:

problem is there are a lot of animal rights organizations that are trying to drum up all kinds of oppositions towards hunting. the truth of the matter is that responsible hunters help the deer out more than PETA and the like ever could. maintaining the deer population by hunting and creating habitats are what outdoorsmen strive at. once the deer population starts going up the overal populations health goes down, resources dwindle and even more insurance rates will start going up.

Two items to note about this (in my area):

1)The destruction of crops, landscapes, and natural understory plants is so extreme that the "Bambi syndrome" has faded down to near nothing. The fact is that the deer population is an environmental disaster that makes concerns over global warming look downright silly. Erosion is becoming an increasing concern as is the loss of habitat for many local species because the understory plants are gone. Add in pervasive Lyme disease and ever-increasing deer/car incidents, and the problem proves itself to be both a public health crisis and an environmental hazard.

2)This area is too densely populated for hunting to have any measureable effect. This leaves us with two options, and I'm fine with either one. The first is the massive re-introduction of wolves and mountain lions, the other is to herd the furry bastards into an enclosure and exterminate them.

2)This area is too densely populated for hunting to have any measureable effect. This leave us with two options, and I'm fine with either one. The first is the massive re-introduction of wolves and mountain lions, the other is to herd the furry bastards into an enclosure and extirminate them.

Well if the Deers natural predators have all been driven out of the area then obviously other efforts to keep the population at manageable levels are necessary.

The Alaskans do that with Wolves all the time.

As long as everything is kept in a balance everyone wins with this sort of thing.

That being said, i doubt i would actually eat the Deer, so i'll leave the hunting to someone who will actually make use of the carcass.

I think people have forgotten that a lot of people hunt (with anything from bows to guns) to eat. And hunting is not bad by any measure as long as things are not over hunted, in fact its beneficial to the whole ecosystem to prevent overpopulating.

Well if the Deers natural predators have all been driven out of the area then obviously other efforts to keep the population at manageable levels are necessary.

The Alaskans do that with Wolves all the time.

As long as everything is kept in a balance everyone wins with this sort of thing.

That being said, i doubt i would actually eat the Deer, so i'll leave the hunting to someone who will actually make use of the carcass.

I think people have forgotten that a lot of people hunt (with anything from bows to guns) to eat. And hunting is not bad by any measure as long as things are not over hunted, in fact its beneficial to the whole ecosystem to prevent overpopulating.

Yup.

As usual, the problem is our fault - we removed all of the natural predation and are slacking in taking its place.

As for eating the deer, I love venison. The only good deer is the one on my plate.

Two items to note about this (in my area):

1)The destruction of crops, landscapes, and natural understory plants is so extreme that the "Bambi syndrome" has faded down to near nothing. The fact is that the deer population is an environmental disaster that makes concerns over global warming look downright silly. Erosion is becoming an increasing concern as is the loss of habitat for many local species because the understory plants are gone. Add in pervasive Lyme disease and ever-increasing deer/car incidents, and the problem proves itself to be both a public health crisis and an environmental hazard.

2)This area is too densely populated for hunting to have any measureable effect. This leaves us with two options, and I'm fine with either one. The first is the massive re-introduction of wolves and mountain lions, the other is to herd the furry bastards into an enclosure and exterminate them.

then yes its become a "pest control" population. we had that while back down here where there were deer everywhere at the airport to the tune of one "deerstrike" a week. they got a local hunting club out here to take on the task. the animal lovers wanted to build a fence :rolleyes:. but yes the introduction of natural predators is to me the best solution because once it is under control if the predators get to be a problem they can be trapped and moved elsewhere.

they are using red wolves in the blue ridge parkway to control the new elk population

Well, we know by the general shape it is a '71-'76 GM B or C body coupe. Because the quarter glass area does not appear open and appears smooth with no cut-out for the glass, it makes me think it is a later model because they had fixed, flush-mounted quarter glass. SAmadei, I think you're right about the lack of a fin, but because of the smooth quarter glass area, I believe the car to be newer than '73. I wish more photos were available, I love this kind of mystery.

I'll agree that it's prob. a '74-'76 sice it appears to have a B-pillar... & not just

a thin strip of rubber insulation, but how come no one is mentioning the

possibility that it could be a Pontiac, Oldsmobile or IMO the best guess, a '74

to '76 Buick LeSabre two door colonnde coupe. (Possibly Electra)

Well, we know by the general shape it is a '71-'76 GM B or C body coupe. Because the quarter glass area does not appear open and appears smooth with no cut-out for the glass, it makes me think it is a later model because they had fixed, flush-mounted quarter glass. SAmadei, I think you're right about the lack of a fin, but because of the smooth quarter glass area, I believe the car to be newer than '73. I wish more photos were available, I love this kind of mystery.

I'll still stick with a '73/'74. Here's what I had in mind...

1973_Chevrolet_Caprice.jpg

I don't think it has a B-pillar... just crap growing on the weatherstrip/trim strip. Also note the bodyline crease that starts at the top of the door and slopes down to almost the bumper... its very clear, IMHO, in the underwater picture.

68, I didn't think Pontiac or Buick due to the body crease... which looks like the above Chevy and some Caddies.

Well I believe your picture is of a '71 Caprice.

Time for the first ever C&G Journey to the Bottom of the Sea. We gotta solve this mystery, gang! Crank up the Mystery Machine!

Edited by ocnblu

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...