update on murder on the greyhound bus

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (AP) - A Canadian judge ruled Thursday that a man accused of beheading and cannibalizing a fellow Greyhound bus passenger is not criminally responsible due to mental illness.

The decision means Chinese immigrant Vince Li will be treated in a mental institution instead of going to prison. The family of victim Tim McLean dismissed the trial as a "rubber stamp" that allows Li to get away with murder.

"A crime was still committed here, a murder still occurred," said Carol deDelley, McLean's mother. "There was nobody else on that bus holding a knife, slicing up my child."

The judge said Li should not be held criminally accountable for stabbing McLean dozens of times last July and dismembering his body while horrified passengers fled.

Justice John Scurfield said Li's attack was "grotesque" and "barbaric" but "strongly suggestive of a mental disorder."

"He did not appreciate the actions he committed were morally wrong. He believed he was acting in self-defense," Scurfield said.

Both the prosecution and the defense argued Li can't be held responsible because Li was suffering from schizophrenia and believed God wanted him to kill McLean because the young man was a force of evil.

He will be institutionalized without a criminal record and will be reassessed every year by a mental health review board to determine if he is fit for release into the community.

DeDelley said a yearly hearing is ridiculous, and that Li should be locked up for the rest of his life.

Li's trial barely lasted two days and only heard from two witnesses, both psychiatrists, who testified he is mentally ill.

That Li killed the 22-year-old carnival worker was never in question at the trial. Li has admitted he killed McLean but pleaded not guilty.

Witnesses said Li attacked McLean unprovoked as their bus traveled at night along a desolate stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway.

An agreed statement of facts between the prosecution and defense detailed how passengers stood outside the bus as Li stabbed McLean dozens of times and beheaded and mutilated his body. Finding himself locked inside the bus, Li finally escaped through a window and was arrested.

Li then apologized and pleaded with police to kill him.

Police said McLean's body parts were found throughout the bus in plastic bags, and the victim's ear, nose and tongue were found in Li's pocket.

A psychiatrist called by the prosecution Wednesday testified that Li cut up McLean's body because he believed that he would come back to life and take revenge.

McLean's family is vowing to turn their attention to fighting the law that allows people who are found not criminally responsible to be released into the community once they are deemed well, without serving a minimum sentence in jail.

DeDelley said her son didn't die in vain. His death highlights concerns about the justice system, she said.

"Now people are aware that there is a problem," she said.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

I replied to this on the usa today web site when they posted this yesterday, I feel this freak should be locked up for life at least and in all honesty, I feel an eye for an eye. Why waste tax payers money. Take his life as he had no respect for the one he took, cut up and ate. :angry:

:fryingpan:

If he was mentally aware enough to kill an innocent man, and then cut him up, he's mentally aware to be Bubba's bitch for the rest of his life.

Instead he has the opportunity to be released?!

He will be institutionalized without a criminal record and will be reassessed every year by a mental health review board to determine if he is fit for release into the community.

Well he was already suffering from mental illness. Chances are, if the community he lived in didn't put shame on schizophrenia, and recognized the symptoms, and got him help, this would have never happened.

Psychiatrists confirmed that he was insane, and even the prosecution, and defense agreed he was insane. What do you want him to do? Go to prison for something he wasn't responsible for, have a relapse, and end up eating another dude?

Just cause he was looney and the area he was living in was willing to ignor him is no reason to waste tax payers money on a murder. He was sane enough to buy a bus ticket and kill someone.

PUll the trigger and put him down. Fry him or shoot him up with chemical cocktail to have hime go 6 feet under. The family of the murder victim should not have to have him get away with it and wonder if some day someone will think he is able to go back into society due to budget cuts.

If I were the family, I'd be waiting outside of the "looney bin" when this guy got out.

:smilewide:

Agreed and then plead temporary insanity.

Pathetic legal system.

John Hinckley, Jr. was never convicted of busting a cap in Reagan's ass, found not guilty by reason of insanity. You think that guys ever getting out? Nope. This dude is never going to be a free man again.

Hinckly has been allowed to go home from time to time

John Hinckley, Jr. was never convicted of busting a cap in Reagan's ass, found not guilty by reason of insanity. You think that guys ever getting out? Nope. This dude is never going to be a free man again.

i loved that episode of american dad where stan went back in time and john hinckley was taken out of the equation.

I find myself wondering about the rest of the passengers, and the fact that they "fled" while the victim was brutalized.

I remember asking myself the same question and then was able to read the local news report and they said he had a knife and had been so brutal everyone fled in fear. He was found with fingers, nose and ears in his pockets that he had cut off the victim. He also had cut the body into pieces spread around the inside of the bus.

I would have to think that while we all hope someone would have tried to stop this person, it also was probably so grewsom that the fear kicked in the flight response for everyone.

At this point, I agree with what Pontiac Custom-S stated which is he WAS SCHIZOPHRENIA. As such, death is the only option I have for him in my book. I wonder if the Prosecutor and Defense had political motivation in mind for joining together to have this guy get off going to a loony bin.

Sad day for the victims family.

Edited by dfelt

I remember asking myself the same question and then was able to read the local news report and they said he had a knife and had been so brutal everyone fled in fear. He was found with fingers, nose and ears in his pockets that he had cut off the victim. He also had cut the body into pieces spread around the inside of the bus.

I would have to think that while we all hope someone would have tried to stop this person, it also was probably so grewsom that the fear kicked in the flight response for everyone.

At this point, I agree with what Pontiac Custom-S stated which is he WAS SCHIZOPHRENIA. As such, death is the only option I have for him in my book. I wonder if the Prosecutor and Defense had political motivation in mind for joining together to have this guy get off going to a loony bin.

Sad day for the victims family.

I still can't imagine running away...

I have a plan - let us just get up and start killing all these CEO's, Senators, and other douches who have got this country in mess. And then call ourselves mentally schizophrenic and plead guilty.

America would be a better place to live. :rolleyes:

one has to wonder if someone had been on that bus that was licensed to carry could have done anything. thats exactly a case for a permit. I have a CWP but there is so much red tape and can and cants its like having a token membership card.

one has to wonder if someone had been on that bus that was licensed to carry could have done anything. thats exactly a case for a permit. I have a CWP but there is so much red tape and can and cants its like having a token membership card.

Done anything? Nope. As the story goes, they were sitting next to each other just before 10 PM when many passengers were asleep. A male passenger in front of the pair (attacker and victim) said he was reading a book and suddenly heard a guy screaming. He turned around to see the attacker over the victim, stabbing him in the throat, repeatedly. The witness then yelled to stop the bus and nobody up front even knew what was going on before a near-trample ensued. The entire time, the attacker remained calm; not concerned with anyone but the guy he was stabbing.

I'm not sure if it's policy yet, but it was said to be made illegal to have any weapons on a transport bus now... of course, not until after this attack had already taken place.

As for the end result, there's little doubt the guy was messed in the head.

I used to think that the death penalty was the ultimate punishment, but now feel that life imprisonment (preferably in solitary) would be more wretched --- that you get to be alone with your thoughts, forever...

we should have a prison system like in Orwell's "1984".....

This is such a fine line.. I personally think some one should take him out back and kill him and be done with it. However that's the easy way out.

I carry all the time and I legally can except in courts and airplanes. well the gun has to be unloaded and clip on other side of body. Also normally i have to have it visible. Legally You would be responsible for murder because it wasn't in your self defense as he was not attacking you. You would be better off leaving with everyone else. Also at that point there was probably no chance in saving that guy. However, If i was there I would have drawn and a made sure everyone else was safely off. and then try to subdue with out injury or shoot the hand with the knife in it. However, I'm not good at hand to hand. Also, Your not supposed to shoot to injure and your not supposed to shoot to kill either so its really messed up.

we should have a prison system like in Orwell's "1984".....

This is such a fine line.. I personally think some one should take him out back and kill him and be done with it. However that's the easy way out.

I carry all the time and I legally can except in courts and airplanes. well the gun has to be unloaded and clip on other side of body. Also normally i have to have it visible. Legally You would be responsible for murder because it wasn't in your self defense as he was not attacking you. You would be better off leaving with everyone else. Also at that point there was probably no chance in saving that guy. However, If i was there I would have drawn and a made sure everyone else was safely off. and then try to subdue with out injury or shoot the hand with the knife in it. However, I'm not good at hand to hand. Also, Your not supposed to shoot to injure and your not supposed to shoot to kill either so its really messed up.

So basically...

You can carry a gun to 'scare people' and that's it? I mean, since you can't shoot to kill or shoot to injure.

So basically...

You can carry a gun to 'scare people' and that's it? I mean, since you can't shoot to kill or shoot to injure.

Thats How It's damn near wrote in the CCW laws.

Well if he is carrying it visible and unloaded that is outside the realm of CCW and into the realm of Unloaded Open Carry.

Anywho, what ever happened to the Rule of Law and equal treatment under it? ... oh wait this is Canada... never mind.

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

*late*

I remember that story. Didn't catch that he was Chinese.

Incidentally, the same thing happened at my old school (see avatar). One Chinese grad student beheaded another at a dining hall in plain view of everybody. Didn't flee from the cops or anything, just held the evidence.

This is what makes me nervous about getting my CCW... I mean, not that I would ever want to shoot anyone anyway. But in the event that I felt my life threatened and I acted, I'd be scared of the possible consequences.

I know here in NC, it is legal for anyone to carry so long as it's visible and it isn't in a building or area that prohibits guns. CCW is a whole different ball game though.

This is what makes me nervous about getting my CCW... I mean, not that I would ever want to shoot anyone anyway. But in the event that I felt my life threatened and I acted, I'd be scared of the possible consequences.

I know here in NC, it is legal for anyone to carry so long as it's visible and it isn't in a building or area that prohibits guns. CCW is a whole different ball game though.

Take the course if you have the time they go over EVERYTHING... I know alot of that have the course done and passed and just didn't register it, but they can if they want.

I went through the course years ago and my license/permit is a lot different for many reasons.

I remember during the gun range portion I went through 30 clips in my browning 9mm in about 20 minutes all dead on target and told the instructor, "Listen asshole I know what I'm doing stamp my card and let me leave early! I don't want to listen to you explain to me how to use a safety for 2 hours"

The thing is if you do have to use it. and you get a jury that doesn't see you truely were defending yourself or family from an attacker then you can be convicted of first degree murder. And if you are ever pulled over... Cops hate you and ask you a million questions about your CCW.

Get a gun off the street and grind off the SN# and use it and then pitch it into the ocean for the salt water to corrode away the evidence. Then you will have covered your arse!

The thing is if you do have to use it. and you get a jury that doesn't see you truely were defending yourself or family from an attacker then you can be convicted of first degree murder. And if you are ever pulled over... Cops hate you and ask you a million questions about your CCW.

I got my cwp but i dont carry. i was pulled over once a while back but since there isnt anything in the truck i didnt even bring it up.

I got my cwp but i dont carry. i was pulled over once a while back but since there isnt anything in the truck i didnt even bring it up.

i guess its different in SC than MI. You can get ticketed if you have a permit and you dont tell the officer even if your not carrying. Once they scan your license in the computer a red flag comes up with it.