Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

If GM ceases to exist, what will your next vehicle be?

If Ford made a modern, small pickup truck at a price that would make it a real alternative to the F-150, I bet it would sell like hotcakes. Trouble is, it is too cheap to build a fullsize pickup, so the manufacturers can afford to discount the heck out of them... effectively pricing their compact trucks out of the market.

The minor trim and wheel changes made to the '09 GMT355s make me want another one. My '04 was a sweet truck, if a little down on power, a situation since remedied.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure that a GM purchase is in the cards, even if GM survives... as the vehicles GM produces today are less and less desirable. It was a big shock to me to not be able to sit in the front passenger seat of the G8.

I had to respond to this, at least G8 related. You know why? It's a HUGE car, front and rear with room galore, but even in power form, for whatever reason, the front passenger's seat is set to only go back and down so far...and it isn't much. It's strange, especially to those of us that have them, but alas. Not that the seat is cramped and there's still room galore, but it's different in comparison to the driver's seat you can move much further down and back. Oh well.

The minor trim and wheel changes made to the '09 GMT355s make me want another one. My '04 was a sweet truck, if a little down on power, a situation since remedied.

So true...I've never "liked" the GMT-355's, but the first '09s I saw last year fresh off the truck had me doing a double take. The revised trim, colors, and wheels made a big difference, on what was already a generally good looking but plebian (well, in many trims) package.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTHERWISE...I don't know. Despite my record 4 GM vehicles in a row, in 7 months nonetheless, I still prefer them but I'm open minded to anything and everything. I'd have to adapt, I guess, to something.

Or I'd just find a way to buy another new G8 and keep it in storage :AH-HA_wink: Never, ever, ever have I liked a car this much, in so many ways.

Edited by caddycruiser

What is it about the G8 that does it for you?

Is there any sense that the car in some way 'legitimizes' you?

Please do not take offense at that last question. Asking it says more about me than I really seek to learn about you caddy'.

What is it about the G8 that does it for you?

Is there any sense that the car in some way 'legitimizes' you?

Please do not take offense at that last question. Asking it says more about me than I really seek to learn about you caddy'.

The looks, the solidity, the interior size and comfort, the powertrain and suspension (crazy power but in an almost silent way, and even with 40 series 19" wheels, it has the smoothest, most "hovercraft" like ride of any vehicle I've been in, in a while), and it just seems special. I don't see myself everywhere, and it gets looks. It feels like a rolling bank vault on the road, rides like a hovercraft, handles and accelerates like a Vette, and has the room and comfort of a very large luxury sedan--the latter is especially impressive. Awesome, awesome seats, space, etc. to go with the dynamics.

It has nothing to do with legitimizing me, but like the lightly custom '95 Cadillac Fleetwood I had for a few years to start it all off, it's an awesome RWD, V8 daily driver that gives a good show, can race, can handle, etc. and still also putter along the highway getting quite good mpg's. I guess it's hard to explain it, but like most who have one, it's just the total package--and a package at a price nothing else can match. The Charger is the closest competitor, but just isn't the same.

It just fits my wants and needs in a car, aspects that I know more clearly after 2 interim cars that simply didn't (the G6 and Malibu). And it makes me smile, a lot, to the extent that I spent 2 sunny days over the weekend giving it the first full detail it really needed, installing a new intake, etc. and I wanted to do more. Taking my brother for a first ride afterwards, half to full throttle in sport mode, with his speechless smile (and that's hard to get, ever) it's a blast, and a practical, relatively efficient one at that.

I promise I'll get a thread about my purchase of it elsewhere soon, and we'll continue to G8 chat. Thread jack over :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

I had to respond to this, at least G8 related. You know why? It's a HUGE car, front and rear with room galore, but even in power form, for whatever reason, the front passenger's seat is set to only go back and down so far...and it isn't much. It's strange, especially to those of us that have them, but alas. Not that the seat is cramped and there's still room galore, but it's different in comparison to the driver's seat you can move much further down and back. Oh well.

Exactly, it drives me nuts. If I could fine a Stryker Blue GXP, I would likely buy it, but I am uncomfortable in being "driving Miss Daisy", if I am too tired to drive and have a friend or family member drive it.

I likely _will_ buy a G8 GXP when the economic smokes clears a bit, but I foresee fabricating some seat mount relocators to be happy with the passenger seat.

The Mini also has this front seat inequality... but the passenger seat gets a notch MORE legroom, not less. Yeah, I can fit in a Mini (not comfortably), but not the passenger seat of the G8 and just barely in the departed Grand Prix... come on, GM, you can do better than this.

In the Grand Prix, once seated, I can't reach the door to pull it shut without removing my head. And I have gorilla arms.

As far as a G8 being huge... well, I have a '67 Grand Prix, a '68 and '70 Catalina and several B-bodies... the G8 is sufficient. I would have loved to see the slightly larger Statesman sold here.

Back on subject...

Many of you have mentioned moving to a Ford or Chrysler in GM's absence. For me, this will bring tremendous family strife. In my family, we are close and very passionate about cars. I was raised by my parents to be GM loyal. My father was especially anti-Ford... and I have many reasons I really dislike Fords. My mother, however, was raised in a Dodge family... and she hates Chrysler cars for that reason. If I was to get a Chrysler, while I like their styling, I would never hear the end of it. OTOH, if my mother got a Ford... I would refuse to ride in it or fix it. Yeah, world war III would break out. ;-) Hence, my leanings towards BMW and Mercedes in GM's absence.

Please, GM, you HAVE to survive! Peace in my family depends on it! ;-)

That blue firewall and windshield header remains, is that a Mustang?

About 16 years ago, a friend introduced me to a guy in North Jersey who bought and sold old cars. While climbing about his chicken coops full of cars, we had to climb up on a 2 foot high crumple of metal to get to another area... he told us to be careful about climbing on his $15K 1967 Shelby 500! I checked closer, and it was definitely very Mustang like... engineless and crushed to 2 foot high, 3.5 foot wide, 16 foot long and burned to a crisp. About the only thing to survive was the needle on the speedo... and the VIN. I laughed at his idea of getting so much for it, but he was firm on the price and it was gone the next time I was there. Crazy.

I really dig the '70s Camaro. Looks like a clean body shell and would be a great project start.

Agreed. My dad has been a GM man his entire life, never owned anything else. He raised my half brother to be a diehard GM fan. I have owned quite a few GM products myself. My mom's first car was handed down from her father, a late-40's Pontiac. Over the years, she's owned quite a few GM products, with a few detours like me.

GM is like home to us. I cannot imagine an America without GM. It is just unthinkable.

The looks, the solidity, the interior size and comfort, the powertrain and suspension (crazy power but in an almost silent way, and even with 40 series 19" wheels, it has the smoothest, most "hovercraft" like ride of any vehicle I've been in, in a while), and it just seems special. I don't see myself everywhere, and it gets looks. It feels like a rolling bank vault on the road, rides like a hovercraft, handles and accelerates like a Vette, and has the room and comfort of a very large luxury sedan--the latter is especially impressive. Awesome, awesome seats, space, etc. to go with the dynamics.

It has nothing to do with legitimizing me, but like the lightly custom '95 Cadillac Fleetwood I had for a few years to start it all off, it's an awesome RWD, V8 daily driver that gives a good show, can race, can handle, etc. and still also putter along the highway getting quite good mpg's. I guess it's hard to explain it, but like most who have one, it's just the total package--and a package at a price nothing else can match. The Charger is the closest competitor, but just isn't the same.

It just fits my wants and needs in a car, aspects that I know more clearly after 2 interim cars that simply didn't (the G6 and Malibu). And it makes me smile, a lot, to the extent that I spent 2 sunny days over the weekend giving it the first full detail it really needed, installing a new intake, etc. and I wanted to do more. Taking my brother for a first ride afterwards, half to full throttle in sport mode, with his speechless smile (and that's hard to get, ever) it's a blast, and a practical, relatively efficient one at that.

I promise I'll get a thread about my purchase of it elsewhere soon, and we'll continue to G8 chat. Thread jack over :AH-HA_wink:

Very nice.

I like the "hovercraft" remark too.

The thing about cars and their making me feel like I came to play spawned that question re: Legitimizing.

It goes back to my first 'badass'-mobile. A '94 Z28.

I felt that gratification was finally mine for the taking.

The car made me feel an extra measure of confidence especially after I saw Robert DeNiro tooling around in one in the movie "Heat".

Still looking for that gratification, I think, even as I like cars less and less.

I'm glad you like your G8.

Very nice.

The car made me feel an extra measure of confidence especially after I saw Robert DeNiro tooling around in one in the movie "Heat".

Interesting you mention 'Heat'..after DeNiro drove one in 'Heat', and Nic Cage (or was it Travolta?) drove one in 'Face Off', I think I had a man crush on '90s Cadillac STSes. (and by the way, 'Heat' is one of my all-time favorite movies--great cast, great director, great music, great cinematography).

And after several movies, incl. Christian Bale in 'Harsh Times', I've developed a man crush on unmarked Crown Vic PIs...such an iconic car, IMHO.

Though I don't recall ever seeing a car similar my 1:1 '87 Mustang GT hatchback in movies, though I do recall a few convertibles and LX 5.0s in movies over the years..

Interesting you mention 'Heat'..after DeNiro drove one in 'Heat', and Nic Cage (or was it Travolta?) drove one in 'Face Off', I think I had a man crush on '90s Cadillac STSes. (and by the way, 'Heat' is one of my all-time favorite movies--great cast, great director, great music, great cinematography).

And after several movies, incl. Christian Bale in 'Harsh Times', I've developed a man crush on unmarked Crown Vic PIs...such an iconic car, IMHO.

Though I don't recall ever seeing a car similar my 1:1 '87 Mustang GT hatchback in movies, though I do recall a few convertibles and LX 5.0s in movies over the years..

It's gotta be a 'guy' thing transcending age.

I feel exactly that way about the '90s Sevilles and the 'Harsh Times' Crown Vics.

wtf?

I've driven the STS and a high school friend of mine has access to all the Crown Vics I'd ever need to know as a policeman.

Neato.

[edit] Yes. "Heat" is a great film. I place it in my top ten of all time. I can watch it monthly and not tire of it.

What gets me is seeing DeNiro age.

And resenting it!

Edited by longtooth

It's gotta be a 'guy' thing transcending age.

I feel exactly that way about the '90s Sevilles and the 'Harsh Times' Crown Vics.

wtf?

I've driven the STS and a high school friend of mine has access to all the Crown Vics I'd ever need to know as a policeman.

Neato.

[edit] Yes. "Heat" is a great film. I place it in my top ten of all time. I can watch it monthly and not tire of it.

What gets me is seeing DeNiro age.

And resenting it!

Yeah, it's in my top 10 also.. I've long been a fan of Michael Mann films, like 'Manhunter' and 'Collateral' also, loved 'Miami Vice' back in the day (even liked the 'Miami Vice' movie from a few years ago).

I think my interest in full size V8 Ford unmarked cop cars goes back to childhood in the '70s-80s, watching all those '70s cop dramas like Police Story, the Dirty Harry movies, the Blues Brothers (well, that was a Dodge), and esp. the brown '71 Galaxie Burt Reynolds drove in 'White Lightning'...something about full size V8 sedans w/ a police package and the black steel wheels is very appealing to me.

Edited by moltar

Very nice.

I like the "hovercraft" remark too.

The thing about cars and their making me feel like I came to play spawned that question re: Legitimizing.

It goes back to my first 'badass'-mobile. A '94 Z28.

I felt that gratification was finally mine for the taking.

Still looking for that gratification, I think, even as I like cars less and less.

I'm glad you like your G8.

You know, having thought about the "legitimizing" thing, the G8 DOES that for me. I really feel like "the $h!" in this car, and that was a factor beyond the physical attributes of the car, that makes it work even more for me. Just like the lightly dressed up Fleetwood used to;-)

Every time I'm in the G8, just like my Fleetwood, I have that burning feel people are watching (they are), and more so, it just feels good to have such a cool car. This isn't to degrade my ex G6 or Malibu at all (the G6, believe it or not, used to get gawks and even random good questions/comments), but it's just at a different level.

Back on topic... :)

For us GM/V8/RWD fanatics the G8 GT & by extension the

entire once proposed Zeta lineup was like the second

coming of Christ... I too am in love with the G8, I'd buy

one if I could afford it & make custom 'Catalina' emblems

for it since I hate alphanumeric names on American cars.

It works on M.B.s & BMWs & less so on Audis & even less

so on Lexus vehicles, any manufacturer who does the ME

TOO move of adapting them like Cadillac & Lincoln just

end up looking lame & desperate.

-----

I remember very well, the scene in the movie "Face Off"

where Nick Cage, as the alpha-male pure-evil bad guy,

gets out of the BLACK/BLACK Cadillac STS at the airstrip,

his trench coat flapping, I was already smitten with those

cars & that made me want one EVEN MORE.

And 6 short years later I DID own one, albeit 5 years old,

and "gently" used.

For us GM/V8/RWD fanatics the G8 GT & by extension the

entire once proposed Zeta lineup was like the second

coming of Christ... I too am in love with the G8, I'd buy

one if I could afford it & make custom 'Catalina' emblems

for it since I hate alphanumeric names on American cars.

It works on M.B.s & BMWs & less so on Audis & even less

so on Lexus vehicles, any manufacturer who does the ME

TOO move of adapting them like Cadillac & Lincoln just

end up looking lame & desperate.

-----

and "gently" used.

Funny thing is you just called that Seville by the alphanumeric name it's successor later adapted, STS. :P

Funny thing is you just called that Seville by the alphanumeric name it's successor later adapted, STS. :P

People, at least those who know the cars, often do that...actually, that's more common by a long shot than "Seville" and then which trim. Though there were both Seville SLS and STS trims, the STS is the only one people ever talk about, and it became so well known, soon it was just referred to as STS alone. It has quite a following, and a big one, both the last gen and the '92-97 gen that were really loved as the original STS.

So, the current/new gen with just those letters works well, at least in name.

and "gently" used.

Those 90s Sevilles--both the '92-97 and the '98+ generation (and the Eldorado)--- are the cars that got me interested in modern Cadillacs..always liked the interiors but esp. the sharp, crisp angular lines..before I drove the '96 M3 that I ended up buying in '98, a '95-97 or so STS was at the top of my car shopping list, test drove a few clean used ones..but then fell in love with the M3, not for the styling or creature comforts, but how it drove....completely different types of cars, but both very appealing to me. I've always had a duality of interests--luxury cars, performance cars appeal equally to me, from cushy old school luxury, modern crisp luxury, raw muscle cars to modern precision performance cars.

Sooner or later, I'll probably have a CTS or a G8, either would be ideal daily drivers for me, with the CTS ranking a bit higher for the creature comforts.

Edited by moltar

Wow, I try not to think about this. First and foremost, a lightly used GM car...but which one? Don't know.

Out of the GM family:

Mercury Milan Premier 4-cyl, Ford Taurus (2010) or Ford Focus sedan, if money was an object. Still, my heart wouldn't be in any of these cars, though they are respectable.

Definitely NOT a foreign car.

Why?

You know, I've been over there (Europe) and rented them (European and Japanese makes). I neither like their styling, nor their appointments nor the way they drive. Heck, it's a stretch for me to get into a Ford or Chrysler product. When I get into a GM car, it feels like "home" and always has.

Admittedly, while I like the Pontiac G8, once inside, it, too, feels kind of weird. But still, it's a beauty.

You know, I've been over there (Europe) and rented them (European and Japanese makes). I neither like their styling, nor their appointments nor the way they drive. Heck, it's a stretch for me to get into a Ford or Chrysler product. When I get into a GM car, it feels like "home" and always has.

Admittedly, while I like the Pontiac G8, once inside, it, too, feels kind of weird. But still, it's a beauty.

So I take it that you wouldn't even consider a Buick badged Opel Insignia?

So I take it that you wouldn't even consider a Buick badged Opel Insignia?

Nao conheco.

Seriously, right now I'm kind of burned out on cars after the exhaustive research and deliberating I did to purchase to LaX. :mind-blowing:

Even in Chapter 7, the Chevy, Cadillac and GMC are my 3 bets to be bought and survive even if owned by a company that is NON US based. I would stick with them.

Even used I would still buy one of these 3 auto's. Might just have to do that moving forward. :( But I hope not and in reality, I think not. I see GM but in a totally differant configuration surviving next year and longer.

Hopefully with Ford and UAW as well as GM and CAW finalizing long term changes to the contracts they can get what needs to be done by March 31st and get the loans from Uncle Sam and then F@!K the GOP who says they should never get another penny and anyone else who feels it is wrong to LOAN money to American companies compared to the Free Hand out the Financial institutes got. Amazing that very few people are demanding refunds especially of the 3.9 Billion paid out to Meril Lynche employees just before the take over by B of A and then the infusion of 40 Billion to keep them afloat due to the bad loans from ML.

Pathetic.

That's because it ain't really a Pon't iac, it's one of them there foreigner cars from the Pacific Rim ... :P You know what I'm saying there, Bobby Bob?

Precisely. What a shame :AH-HA_wink:

But I manage, daily. It's rough, I tell you, rough.

P.S., To whoever said it, the "weirdness" is toast after a drive or two, depending on how long you've been used to NA GM vehicles, and all the shared parts. It's just a little different, in a fun way.

Even in Chapter 7, the Chevy, Cadillac and GMC are my 3 bets to be bought and survive even if owned by a company that is NON US based. I would stick with them.

Even used I would still buy one of these 3 auto's. Might just have to do that moving forward. :( But I hope not and in reality, I think not. I see GM but in a totally differant configuration surviving next year and longer.

Hopefully with Ford and UAW as well as GM and CAW finalizing long term changes to the contracts they can get what needs to be done by March 31st and get the loans from Uncle Sam and then F@!K the GOP who says they should never get another penny and anyone else who feels it is wrong to LOAN money to American companies compared to the Free Hand out the Financial institutes got. Amazing that very few people are demanding refunds especially of the 3.9 Billion paid out to Meril Lynche employees just before the take over by B of A and then the infusion of 40 Billion to keep them afloat due to the bad loans from ML.

Pathetic.

Or the 120 billion GIVEN to AIG, despite the uncovering of their scams.