It's About Time

We finally found a trailer to haul the Jetta to my house so I can actually do something with it. After a $110 tow bill (I'm just happy they didn't charge me for having it sit there for over a month), we loaded it up and brought it home. I've been able to look it over and see what's good and what's not. The biggest thing, the engine looks good. The transmission looks fine, as well, but the gear indicator is saying it's in drive, no matter what you put it in, which prevents me from being able to start it up. Same with the cooling fans that are shoved inward. We disassembled it somewhat (with the help of a sawzall) and it doesn't look that bad up front besides, you know, the whole frame being bent. :P

jettaparts3.jpg

jettaparts2.jpg

jettaparts7.jpg

jettaparts8.jpg

jettaparts1.jpg

jettaparts5.jpg

jettaparts10.jpg

The interior is mostly just dirty and besides the driver-side door panel, A-pillar, and where the air bags blew, everything is good inside.

jettaparts14.jpg

jettaparts13.jpg

jettaparts15.jpg

It's last mile.

jettaparts12.jpg

After tearing it apart.

jettaparts16.jpg

jettaparts18.jpg

One blemish that wasn't from the wreck. I'm assuming it happened during towing/etc. They just had to dent the one door that was perfectly good... Bastards.

jettaparts6.jpg

Edited by blackviper8891

The BlackViper Manor: Where cars come to die. :P

1st it was the Grand Am

Now it's a Mazda Millenia, G-body Cutty Coupe & VW Jetta.

I thought of BV's cars on Thursday--was out driving and saw 4 Millenias, incl. a really sharp dark green one w/ some aftermarket rims--aluminum wheel lip w/ black spokes, tinted windows, sharp looking car.

A few comments...

How the heck could anybody sit in the back seat? Also, is it just me, or do those front brakes seem tiny?

What's the story with the Cutlass? I see a price on the window, and it seems to be broken. I just happen to have a stout 4 barrel 403 in the backyard fitted into a trashed '81 Cutty.

I loved the toitles non-sequitor.

Just proves the old chestnut: a GM car will run badly longer than some cars run atall.

Thats the truth. Every GM car I have ever parked was still running. Just not running well enough to get through NJ inspection. Or my personal inspection, for that matter.

A few comments...

How the heck could anybody sit in the back seat? Also, is it just me, or do those front brakes seem tiny?

What's the story with the Cutlass? I see a price on the window, and it seems to be broken. I just happen to have a stout 4 barrel 403 in the backyard fitted into a trashed '81 Cutty.

The back seat is tight for those who are, say, 6' tall with a 6' tall person riding directly up front, but otherwise it's fairly roomy for all the bigger these Jettas are. The brakes are adequate for the car's size, as well. These are only 174" long and weigh about 2600lbs, afterall.

The Cutlass is my former ride I used for about 8 months. You can probably find countless threads about it. Currently, the 307 is about as tired as they come and the carburetor is pretty much crap. Also is in need of an exhaust and minor things throughout. It's been sitting for sale since last May. While driving it, I had far too much trouble with it breaking down on me and more money was put into repairs than the actual cost of the vehicle. Haven't had many inquiries and obviously, it's still in our possession. By all means, feel free to take it off our hands. :P

DSCN4149.jpg

The Cutlass is my former ride I used for about 8 months. You can probably find countless threads about it. Currently, the 307 is about as tired as they come and the carburetor is pretty much crap. Also is in need of an exhaust and minor things throughout. It's been sitting for sale since last May. While driving it, I had far too much trouble with it breaking down on me and more money was put into repairs than the actual cost of the vehicle. Haven't had many inquiries and obviously, it's still in our possession. By all means, feel free to take it off our hands. :P

Doesn't look bad. Looks like it might be a '84 or '85? And your "right up the street"... that being 250 miles of Rt 322... which both houses are within 10 miles of.

Does it run at all? Would it limp 250 miles?

I would probably hope right on this, but I have a self-imposed car buying embargo until I get my garage built. I'll read your threads about it and think about it.

Did ya hear that SAmadei, he said it's FREE!

I'm not sure he means free. Keep in mind Lancaster is on my way home, and would be a great place to break down for a couple hours, so try not to talk me into it too much!

Doesn't look bad. Looks like it might be a '84 or '85? And your "right up the street"... that being 250 miles of Rt 322... which both houses are within 10 miles of.

Does it run at all? Would it limp 250 miles?

I would probably hope right on this, but I have a self-imposed car buying embargo until I get my garage built. I'll read your threads about it and think about it.

It does run and it's an '84. It wasn't for a while there, but my dad got it to start up again. Limping 250 miles? Probably, but I can't guarantee it. We limped it home about 15 miles when we bought it. After 10 miles, it started to run better. It had been sitting for a few years before that. We bought it off the original owner, an older woman. We even have the original window sticker for it and all the manuals. It would be cool to see this car restored, but its not something my dad nor myself have time and patience for. I personally would rather see it sold to someone who will use it and fix it up, but my dad doesn't care what happens to it as long as we get rid of it.

I'm pretty sure there's a few threads in the Member's Rides section with it shined up as well as a few threads here in the lounge with me bitching about it breaking down on me and what not. :P

A few for you:

Oh Cutlass, Where Roameth Thou?

A Beastly Winter

Oh Beast, Wherever May You Be? Part 2

P.I.T.A.

My Driveway + 1, Part 2

Haha, there's still a price affixed to it. My dad plans on scrapping it if we can't sell it.

I forget, what exactly is wrong with the carb? Our beautiful 1980 Sedan de Ville was running like $h!, and dying if you took turns too hard at low speeds (think parking lots), but then we had the carb cleaned and BAM ran like (almost) brand new!

Or did you not clean the carb, and then some bigger problem resulted, like a hole in the exhaust system? I'm fuzzy on the details with this...

Edited by Croc

We've tried cleaning the carb to no prevail. Not sure of the actual problem. I know the choke doesn't seem to work on it and it's running quite rich. Could never find out how to adjust the mix. The issues mostly revolved around that and how it would cut out at times, especially at 100% throttle. All of this had a big affect on fuel economy, which is what hurt me the most. I was averaging well below 10 mpg.

Per the exhaust... Previously, there was a hole on the headers that we repaired, but I don't think it correlated to how it ran at all. It just had a loud rasp under throttle.

Edited by blackviper8891

I'd love to, but this project is getting pricey fast, plus I'm pretty sure the Quadrajet on the Donor-Olds will be just fine after a rebuild. Good enough to do what I need it to do.

As long as the Cutty has been brought up in this thread, I was calling around looking for a few things and I found a 307 with a knock for $50, I needed an exhaust manifold, and the guy wouldn't sell me just the manifolds, so I bought the whole engine for less than what I needed would have cost me from a junkyard, and it has an almost new fuel pump on it!. But the engine came from a gorgeous Cutlass Supreme, I didn't ask what year, but it was in pristine condition. He hadn't put a new engine in it yet (I didn't ask what it was going to get) but thats going to be one hell of a ride when it gets done.

For anyone keeping track, I now have 2 disassembled 307 blocks, one assembled engine, and one more that I can pull from a donor car.

Yeah, on the bright side, I should be able to recoup some of my expenses by selling all the extra stuff I'm not going to use. Or I'll keep an engine or two around as spares. Then there is always that glass-topped V8 coffee table I want to make....

You got a tire on the damaged part? Well $h! man, it's drivable :D

If it weren't for the car's computer thinking it's still in drive, I could, indeed drive it around. That and the removal of the radiator fans that are pushed into things. :P

Find any rust yet? I'll predict not.

Nope. The Sunfire is starting to rust after only 7 years of being on the road, while the Jetta has not an ounce of it. This is the most rust-free car I've seen for its age. It was the first of many things. It's sucks that this had to happen.

Ebay specials?

That's basically what it's going to amount to.

Except for some things, anyways. I'm liking the driver's seat as my computer chair. I may just keep it and put some wheels on it. :D

Edited by blackviper8891

VWs have excellent rust protection. Top Gear said in their latest issue in a comparison test of the Focus, Megane and Golf, "if you want a car that will last until you have no teeth in your head or hair on top of it, choose the Golf" <=== paraphrase, but you get the gist.