Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The essential Pontiacs

Traditional Pontiac's (before the lame names)

Grand Am

Grand Prix

Bonneville

Firebird/Trans Am

New Age Pontiac's (with lame names)

G6

G8

Solstice

Vibe

possible small performance car... (G5 maybe) and...

Camaro based Firebird *six cylinder* and Trans Am *eight cylinder*

then call the G6... Grand Prix

G8... Bonneville

G5... Grand Am

Solstice and Vibe stay the same....

None are really essential as Chevy covers the mainstream cars, Camaro is the niche performance coupe/convertible and Cobalt/Cruze/HHR SS models cover the hot hatch and sport compact niche. A performance sedan at non-luxury prices is the only thing left for Pontiac to do, so the G8 has a place. However, the G8 or similar rear drive sedan could easily become a Chevy. A product like the Sky/Solstice is something GM just can't afford to do anymore, for any brand.

None are really essential as Chevy covers the mainstream cars, Camaro is the niche performance coupe/convertible and Cobalt/Cruze/HHR SS models cover the hot hatch and sport compact niche. A performance sedan at non-luxury prices is the only thing left for Pontiac to do, so the G8 has a place. However, the G8 or similar rear drive sedan could easily become a Chevy. A product like the Sky/Solstice is something GM just can't afford to do anymore, for any brand.

What do you see as the essential models over the years?

I'll list some of mine later.

Grand Prix

GTO

Firebird

Fiero

Solstice

G8

I also think that a Pontiac balls-to-the-wall supercar was and is a must for the brand (assuming things turn around).

Make it a '73 FormulaSD and I'm there!

Fine Camino'.

The jewelry manager at the discount store where I worked in 74- '75 had the car I described.

We'd go out after work to Decatur Road in North Philadelphia and she'd clean-up in the local street racing league. (informal gathering of racers)

Her Dad was a gear-head and she grew up around hot rods.

She was smooth on the stick.

Last time I saw her and the car was in 1980.

Fine Camino'.

The jewelry manager at the discount store where I worked in 74- '75 had the car I described.

We'd go out after work to Decatur Road in North Philadelphia and she'd clean-up in the local street racing league. (informal gathering of racers)

Her Dad was a gear-head and she grew up around hot rods.

She was smooth on the stick.

Last time I saw her and the car was in 1980.

Sounds like a good woman to know!

That race action moved to Front street a bit later on - my brother's '71 Nova was feared there. :AH-HA_wink:

I'm unsure if people are naming what they consider the "essential" Pontiacs or their favorite Pontiacs, or both.

If you're speaking models, I suppose the "essential" models are Bonneville, GTO, and Firebird.

When I picture my personal favorites, they include a 1961 Bonneville, a 1963 Grand Prix, a 1966 Bonneville, a 1966 GTO, and the 2009 G8.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the 60's GTO is revered, but the big Bonnevilles, Catalinas, Tempests, and LeMans brought in the bacon back then. The Catalina family car was #1 selling Pontiac in the 'glory days'. And, Pontiac even sold a lot of Station Wagons!

And, the GTO is an A body derivative, not a unique body shell, as some younger car fans assume. i.e. GTO gets compared to Mustang too many times, when it was not a Pony Car.

So, to me, the essential Pontiacs were the big sellers: Catalina, Bonneville, Big and mid sized GP, and all versions of their A bodies. [Tempest -> GTO]

Thanks.

I've always preferred the Formula version.

I really wish I still owned this car. :(

Infatuation is so fleeting.

Time allows much opportunity for regret.

A few months back, some fellow in Maryland (Perryville I think) had one on a lift in his garage with ridiculously low miles for right around original sticker. Like a time capsule waiting for some lucky individual to open her up.

I still have the so-called birth certificate and key fob. Ran across it while moving.

Infatuation is so fleeting.

Time allows much opportunity for regret.

A few months back, some fellow in Maryland (Perryville I think) had one on a lift in his garage with ridiculously low miles for right around original sticker. Like a time capsule waiting for some lucky individual to open her up.

I still have the so-called birth certificate and key fob. Ran across it while moving.

I still know where mine is...

Last I heard it had 7k on it.

Yes it was.

There should be a number of threads on it if you search "Firehawk".

Will do when I'm wider awake. Chinese food and wine've done me in.

She's already dozing 2 feet away. I'm observing her for any tendency to snore. She complains, from time to time, of my own rafter-rattlers. Between my farting and snoring she assures me it's magic living together.

Good night.

Will do when I'm wider awake. Chinese food and wine've done me in.

She's already dozing 2 feet away. I'm observing her for any tendency to snore. She complains, from time to time, of my own rafter-rattlers. Between my farting and snoring she assures me it's magic living together.

Good night.

:lol:

I'll try to do the search for you befoire I call it a night.

Pontiac sold 3.8 million Catalinas- that has to be on a longer quantity list somewhere.

I have always prefered the full-size cars- my eye always notes how the intermediates were de-engineered from their big brothers, plus you got magical cube numbers (421, 428) not available from the siblings until '70. Plenty to love in Pontiac's past- my pic of those posted above is the '63 SD.

Longtooth:

The really old threads that explain the story got lost in the shuffle, but here are a few slideshows with the short version of my Firehawk experience.

http://img507.imageshack.us/slideshow/play...9861975k7m.smil

http://img315.imageshack.us/slideshow/play...98057376p7.smil

http://img350.imageshack.us/slideshow/play...9191046h5a.smil

Longtooth:

The really old threads that explain the story got lost in the shuffle, but here are a few slideshows with the short version of my Firehawk experience.

Thanks Camino', looking now.

I think the shape of the Firebird always showed better in red. Even pewter did it justice. Had a '00 Z28 in pewter. Then onto an '02 WS6 rendered in black. Black requires all of that extra attention. Knowing this I did it again with the Firehawk after seeing it at Peruzzi Pontiac in July of '02.

I would take the cars up behind the Sheraton on Oxford Valley road and detail 'em at least twice per week using the shade of their parking garage.

I don't know why I was/am always in a hurry to move onto the next car. The infatuation has lasted, on average, 13 months dating back to 1980. My late wife was vexed (putting it mildly) regarding the seemingly endless turn-over of vehicles.

'74 SD Trans Am.

Believe it or not, when I was 17, back in 1993, I was working at a summer camp in Indianapolis. There was a bright red 74 SD T/A, one owner, sitting for cheap on a downtown used car lot.

I almost bought it, but didn't feel like giving up my 70 Chevelle that I was then driving.

Voting for Reagan in '84 and not buying that car that July afternoon are the two things I regret most from my teenage years. I can still remember that car 26 years later...it had a Tan interior.

How many 74 SD TA's came red with a tan interior? It may have been the only one.

God what a car...I can remember the rumble of the V8 through the seat of my pants even today.

Chris

I think the shape of the Firebird always showed better in red. Even pewter did it justice. Had a '00 Z28 in pewter. Then onto an '02 WS6 rendered in black. Black requires all of that extra attention. Knowing this I did it again with the Firehawk after seeing it at Peruzzi Pontiac in July of '02.

I would take the cars up behind the Sheraton on Oxford Valley road and detail 'em at least twice per week using the shade of their parking garage.

I don't know why I was/am always in a hurry to move onto the next car. The infatuation has lasted, on average, 13 months dating back to 1980. My late wife was vexed (putting it mildly) regarding the seemingly endless turn-over of vehicles.

Just tell her its better than a seemingly endless turnover of mistresses.

Chris

Longtooth:

God I'd love to own a Firehawk.

Chris

Just tell her its better than a seemingly endless turnover of mistresses.

Chris

Chris, she knew. I told her that "the mountains are my mistress".

This was when I would go off n' leave her for a fish. Her saying. I'd go off to fish the cold-water trout streams north and northeast of Williamsport, PA in exchange for what I saw as my 'due' being the stalwart breadwinner.

I can perceive now the degree of selfishness applied to my marriage when, at the time, I would've protested otherwise.

I had the WS6 the year prior to her death. Purchased 8-29-2001.

After she died I used the fusion of grief and despair to justify changing cars once more. I nearly pulled the trigger on a black Z06 at Reedman's in Langhorne, PA. Firing that up in the showroom, for about 30 seconds, was akin to achieving nirvana, so sweet the sound.

I'm glad that I didn't, seeing the Firehawk two days or so later. I went to see that car, every night after work for a week, and then near the end of July '02 went up to negotiate for it and wound up going in to work two hours late with it. I remember stalling it once that day then no more afterward. 'We' were as one.

oh boy.