Motor Authority: An Opel Insignia Rebadge For Cadillac?

cire

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd..I would think GM would want a V6 diesel, at least for Europe. I'd love to see the CTS and other cars in the US available with a diesel.

Part of me thinks (hopes?) it's likely not true. However, if it were not to make it Stateside, I'd wager it would be the greenies opposing diesels, because Hybrids are apparently the second coming of Christ.

i would rather have that pushrod reliabilty and simplicity than worry about dohc any day. i watched the guys on hot rod ste up the timing on a mustang cobra motor with dohc and was like screw that. they didnt evern do it they let a guy from rousch do it for them. by the way, that LS9 still seems to be making waves. its little brother the LSX series is devistatingly bullet proof.

like it or not pushrods are gonna be here for a long time. i will never understand how they are unrefined.

P.S. i forgot to mention 8sp transmissions are just overkill unless you are towing or something. its like hunting squirrels with a m16, yeah you can do it but do you really need to?

Lexus has been #1 in reliability for their entire existence and they are all DOHC. Pushrod vs DOHC has nothing to do with reliability. If the engine is well made, and built to last, it will be reliable. Hondas are reliable, no pushrod there either.

Pushrods will be here for a long time at GM and Chrysler, and that will hurt GM/Chrysler sales. Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Nissan don't use them. And GM clearly wants more DOHC but is too broke to make new engines. Notice the Malibu, Cobalt/Cruze, Traverse/Acadia, 2010 Equinox and LaCrosse are DOHC only, and they are dropping pushrod V6s fast as they can.

Drive a BMW V8, (or a Northstar or Lexus), then drive a Chevy V8, and you'll see which is more refined. Plus DOHC can make a lot of power from a smaller, more efficient engine which GM will have to do to meet CAFE increases.

Edited by smk4565

Audis have longitudinally mounted engines though, and most are near 55/45 weight balance, not 60/40 or worse like many front drive cars. Secondly, none of Audis products are as good as BMWs. Class for class the BMW offers the better handling and performing car.

Cadillac didn't even hit 200,000 sales globally last year. They'll never compete with front drivers, no one outside of the US gives Cadillac any respect what so ever. Cadillac is supposed to be the best, front drive is not the best, pushrods and 4-speed autos are not the best, Chevy platform SUVs are not the best. Cadillac has become just another mediocre GM brand with little hope of a future.

Then what are you doing here?

I'd like to see Cadillac beat out BMW and Benz. I don't like BMW styling inside or out, and there is really very little I like about Benz, except for the S-class's innovations over the years. I want to see Cadillac as standard of the world, and blowing Lexus's Toyota based junk away. But Cadillac isn't going to do it with front drivers, 4-speeds, 1990s platforms, etc. Lets see a 400 hp V8 that gets 17/26 mpg, a diesel that gets 35 mpg highway and has 430 lb-ft of torque, hybrids that get 30 mpg and still hit 60 in under 6 seconds, interiors that beat the A6 and LS460, etc. If Cadillac's mission is to be like Benz, then they need to step it up, otherwise change their focus and set it on Lincoln and Acura, and dump Buick, because they don't need 2 brands going after Acura and the Avalon/Maxima/300C.

Edit: I do like one thing about Benz, and that is the Gullwing. The 1950s version is a true classic, and the 2011 version looks like it will be as well. GM should do some gullwing style or suicide doors on some cars.

Edited by smk4565

As far as Cadillac, I really like the CTS and hope the coupe and wagon make it to market. But they need more models, they can't be dependent on one excellent model and a bunch of ho-hum models. FWD models are not the way to go.

I've liked BMW for 20+ years, didn't care that much for the Bangle-era styling, but still overall, like their products.

I've also liked Mercedes for a long time, esp. their more premium models--love the CLS, CL, SL and S-class in particular. But my new car budget is more in line with a C-class. I'd rather have a CTS at that price point.

Edited by moltar

Playing devil's advocate. Sadly, there is a lot of truth in his posts. GM is in dire straits. :(

He was saying the same things, though, when the Ultra V8 was still in development, a replacement for the STS/DTS was still destined to be a Zeta vehicle, and the CTS-V was just beginning to show that it could and would outperform the German competition (one out of three ain't bad). Same stuff, different day.

EDIT: Is there a limit as to how much Sigma can be stretched? I think someone mentioned it earlier.

Edited by Lamar

He was saying the same things, though, when the Ultra V8 was still in development, a replacement for the STS/DTS was still destined to be a Zeta vehicle, and the CTS-V was just beginning to show that it could and would outperform the German competition (one out of three ain't bad). Same stuff, different day.

EDIT: Is there a limit as to how much Sigma can be stretched? I think someone mentioned it earlier.

Did anyone really believe GM was going to go through with the Ultra V8 or replace the STS/DTS with a Zeta model, though? With GM, it's all just rumor until something is real and at the dealer. Based on what I've seen over the years, I'm always skeptical..

Playing devil's advocate. Sadly, there is a lot of truth in his posts. GM is in dire straits. :(

There is very little truth in his posts....evar.

The new SRX, if executed like the CTS has been, will do very well in the marketplace. Just because us enthusiasts don't care for it doesn't mean it won't sell. If enthusiast's desires were what drives sales of cars, the G8 and Charger would be the top of the sales charts, not the CamCordTima. The SRX will be great for GM because GM can see that the biggest sales, and thus biggest opportunity to steal sales, are with the FWD RX and MDX.

The CTS-V V8 will lay the smack down on any German V8 even twice the price.

SMK CLEARLY knows nothing about engine displacement v. valve rain configuration v. package size. SMK looses credibility just for bringing up HP/L.

Audis being not as good as BMW has nothing to do with drive train layout. BMW makes AWD versions of their cars too and they still beat out Audi. And SMK, engines on the A4 - A8 are not transverse. I don't know about the A3.

As for an Insignia Cadillac. I think it's just a red herring.

The SRX will be great for GM because GM can see that the biggest sales, and thus biggest opportunity to steal sales, are with the FWD RX and MDX.

Isn't that the market Buick should be going after? I thought Cadillac was supposed aiming higher, at the real luxury market (BMW and Merc).

Isn't that the market Buick should be going after? I thought Cadillac was supposed aiming higher, at the real luxury market (BMW and Merc).

The RX sold 103k copies in 2007, 108k in 2006, 108k in 2005. You don't reach much higher than that in terms of potential money made.

Buick is doing ok with the Enclave. Due to the size difference I don't think you'll see too much overlap.

I'd rather the SRX be RWD based, however if it's as good as the X5 then fine. However I don't want to see the entire Cadillac lineup go FWD. That will loose credibility, and Cadillac would be stuck competing with Acura and Lincoln...which is what Buick is supposed to be for.

I'd rather the SRX be RWD based, however if it's as good as the X5 then fine. However I don't want to see the entire Cadillac lineup go FWD. That will loose credibility, and Cadillac would be stuck competing with Acura and Lincoln...which is what Buick is supposed to be for.

Exactly...the Lexus RX is mass-market generic entry-lux for women in suburbia. BMW and Mercedes are real luxury, RWD/AWD. There is no credibility to FWD models based on Toyota generics.

It really is two different markets, also..the RX/MDX/MKX/new SRX are CUVs, while the BMW and Mercedes entries are legitimately SUVs.

Edited by moltar

in defense of the SRX. cad is targeting the poster child for luxury crossovers, the Lexus RX which we all know is a puffy camry. i don't see the hot selling RX needing a sigma platform to get the sales it did.

all that said, why the last SRX was praised so much was its chassis and handling. why they would $h!can that foundation is beyond me. i do know the SRX was a fuel sucker. although if the new SRX is portly, changing the platform won't really give it much better mpg.

basically the SRX changes were for style and to entice chick buyers who didn't like the wagon look of the last SRX. they felt changing the vehicle but keeping the name would help, name recognition.

BTW, anyone think the 9-4x will end up as a buick?

Speaking of the SRX, saw a dark red one this morning in traffic..it really is a great looking wagon. What I've always liked about the SRX is it's wagon-like styling, instead of the lame faux-SUV styling most CUVs adopt (which is pointless on FWD/AWD vehicles).

Moltar, I was referring to if this SRX handles as well as and is as luxurious as the X5, I can live with it...since there's nothing we can do about it being FWD now. However if it can't beat the X5 then it's is a failure. Why? Because beating the RX is easy, the X5 is the one to beat. The CTS can beat BMWs, so every new Cadillac should be able to.

Moltar, I was referring to if this SRX handles as well as and is as luxurious as the X5, I can live with it...since there's nothing we can do about it being FWD now. However if it can't beat the X5 then it's is a failure. Why? Because beating the RX is easy, the X5 is the one to beat. The CTS can beat BMWs, so every new Cadillac should be able to.

Agreed about the X5... it's my favorite of the luxury SUVs... I've thought seriously about stepping up from my GC to a CPO late model X5, with the 6 cyl. I like the 2nd gen ML also.

I find it highly unlikely the FWD SRX will be competitive with the X5, though.

Edited by moltar

Which one will generate more sales?

Which one will be more revenue and profit for GM?

Edit: Why is this a challenge to understand?

Lexus has been #1 in reliability for their entire existence and they are all DOHC. Pushrod vs DOHC has nothing to do with reliability. If the engine is well made, and built to last, it will be reliable. Hondas are reliable, no pushrod there either.

entire existence you say?

Reliability and quality. The Lexus LS has won the J.D. Power award for "Best High-end Luxury Sedan" 13 years in a row, the most for any manufacturer, in the long-term Vehicle Dependability Study.[7][68] The Lexus LS has also been the highest-ranked luxury sedan in J.D. Power's Initial Quality Survey for 10 consecutive years.[69] In 2006, Consumer Reports awarded the Lexus LS with a repeat ranking as the most reliable vehicle in the luxury car class, and for vehicles overall.[8][70]

http://www.mywikibiz.com/Lexus_LS#Awards

i wont argue with you on reliability. it can be proven but then again it also can be an opinion. for instance my grandparents 3800 II bonneville never gave them any trouble, even after 130K miles they traded it in. thats reliable. did it win awards? no. have others been as fortunate? no. but the other part of my statement was simplicity. fewer moving parts means less to go wrong.

Pushrods will be here for a long time at GM and Chrysler, and that will hurt GM/Chrysler sales. Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Nissan don't use them. And GM clearly wants more DOHC but is too broke to make new engines. Notice the Malibu, Cobalt/Cruze, Traverse/Acadia, 2010 Equinox and LaCrosse are DOHC only, and they are dropping pushrod V6s fast as they can.

thats fine that everyone uses them. sure GM needs to get mainstream and use them too. but not for everything. i have no interest in 6 of the manufacturers you mentioned in that sentence. the only vehicles that gm makes that interest me enough to go for are trucks, camaro, and G8. i dont care about the others. i dont buy a car to be practical per say, i buy a car because thats what i want. bread and butter sedans are for people in their 30s and up. but just because its pushrod doesnt make it useless.

Drive a BMW V8, (or a Northstar or Lexus), then drive a Chevy V8, and you'll see which is more refined. Plus DOHC can make a lot of power from a smaller, more efficient engine which GM will have to do to meet CAFE increases.

which chevy do you want me to drive? the one from the 70's that could double as a martini shaker or the one like in my dads silverado that is smooth as silk? the one that was so quiet he turned the key again to make sure the truck started.

i dont want a high winding strung out motor. the smaller displacement you got the tighter wound that motor gets. as for honda you mentioned earlier? nope i prefer my power to kick in around 3000 thanks.

I don't agree with you often but as much as I hate to admit it, this post is spot on.

In GM's 'report' to Congress they stated that the target market for Cadillac is Mercedes and BMW. The CTS matches BMW but that alone won't be enough. The new Insignia would make a great entry level Buick if they visually separate it from the Malibu and option it right. It would NOT make a great Cadillac, period.

Further, to establish themselves, Cadillac can't JUST match BMW and Mercedes. They have to exceed them. And do so consistently for several model iterations. THEN they will again be able to claim 'Standard of the World'.

I'd like to see Cadillac beat out BMW and Benz. I don't like BMW styling inside or out, and there is really very little I like about Benz, except for the S-class's innovations over the years. I want to see Cadillac as standard of the world, and blowing Lexus's Toyota based junk away. But Cadillac isn't going to do it with front drivers, 4-speeds, 1990s platforms, etc. Lets see a 400 hp V8 that gets 17/26 mpg, a diesel that gets 35 mpg highway and has 430 lb-ft of torque, hybrids that get 30 mpg and still hit 60 in under 6 seconds, interiors that beat the A6 and LS460, etc. If Cadillac's mission is to be like Benz, then they need to step it up, otherwise change their focus and set it on Lincoln and Acura, and dump Buick, because they don't need 2 brands going after Acura and the Avalon/Maxima/300C.

Edit: I do like one thing about Benz, and that is the Gullwing. The 1950s version is a true classic, and the 2011 version looks like it will be as well. GM should do some gullwing style or suicide doors on some cars.

I wouldn't go that far. The new RX beat the X5 in a comparison test in the latest issue of Motor Trend, along with the ML. Granted, it's Motor Trend, but the RX is at the top of its class in terms of technology. It's also been vastly improved dynamically according to every review I've read.

Actually, every Audi (except the R8) can be had in FWD across the pond. We just get the most tarted-up models on this side (well, except the RS6...) They have the A8 available with a 2.8L V6 over there... and not available with quattro.

I see your point, though, about sharing platforms with mass-market vehicles.

Somehow I picture this as a more global strategy for GM... adding to their Cadillac line over there as well. However, doesn't mean I like it.

Are you kidding?

Audi A8 is a RWD and is available with a RWD biased AWD. One of the savants from Cheers and Gears told me that. :P

As for the FWD Caddy, I think GM may repent the decision, if they go ahead with the move. Just when CTS is bringing them respect from media, and people with the CTS, rather than pushing the envelope further with a decent STS/DTS and better coupe/roadster they will shoot themselves on the foot with the FWD sedan slotten lower than CTS.

Why not try to beat the one that sells more? If beating the RX is easy, then shouldn't beating the Camry be easy also?

No because it is "hallofied" by 450,000 blokes every year compared to the 100,000 which Lexus gets. That is a Herculean task which GM will never in a million years manage.

Are you kidding?

Audi A8 is a RWD and is available with a RWD biased AWD. One of the savants from Cheers and Gears told me that. :P

As for the FWD Caddy, I think GM may repent the decision, if they go ahead with the move. Just when CTS is bringing them respect from media, and people with the CTS, rather than pushing the envelope further with a decent STS/DTS and better coupe/roadster they will shoot themselves on the foot with the FWD sedan slotten lower than CTS.

A8 is available in a FWD, 6cyl version in Europe.

Regardless, the new SRX is better positioned than the old one. I have no objection to that change, given the current SRX struggles. Cars on stilts are not the place to expend time on 'BMW-like' handling---even the X5's performance has to be qualified as good "for a tall, overweight vehicle"

I can't stomach the idea of abandoning RWD for sedans, wagons and (god forbid) coupes. If Sigma can keep a factory running in volume, it should be used extensively. I'd rather see a Riv coupe or some other product developed to keep volume high, rather than a batch of EpII derivatives as Caddies.

Why not use Sigma for the DTS replacement? The SLS shows it can be made larger. That saves costs and keeps the best platform GM has going.

For those who miss the old SRX and it's RWD wagon look, and don't want the FRWD cute ute, there is the far sexier CTS wagon.

I wouldn't go that far. The new RX beat the X5 in a comparison test in the latest issue of Motor Trend, along with the ML. Granted, it's Motor Trend, but the RX is at the top of its class in terms of technology. It's also been vastly improved dynamically according to every review I've read.

and its ugly and feminine and overall yuck. but it will still sell since its a toyota.

Why not use Sigma for the DTS replacement? The SLS shows it can be made larger. That saves costs and keeps the best platform GM has going.

For those who miss the old SRX and it's RWD wagon look, and don't want the FRWD cute ute, there is the far sexier CTS wagon.

that really could be totally why the SRX went fwd, that and its 9-4x counterpart. sharing platforms.

Regardless, the new SRX is better positioned than the old one. I have no objection to that change, given the current SRX struggles. Cars on stilts are not the place to expend time on 'BMW-like' handling---even the X5's performance has to be qualified as good "for a tall, overweight vehicle"

I can't stomach the idea of abandoning RWD for sedans, wagons and (god forbid) coupes. If Sigma can keep a factory running in volume, it should be used extensively. I'd rather see a Riv coupe or some other product developed to keep volume high, rather than a batch of EpII derivatives as Caddies.

I do agree with trying to keep the sedans RWD if possible. How flexible is Sigma, anyway? I know it is stretched to 116.4 inches for the STS, first gen SRX, and the Chinese SLS (if I understand correctly, they only stretched the design of the STS about 4 inches to create the SLS for China, not the wheelbase). Can it be stretched further? The current S-Class and 7-Series are on 119.5 and 120.9 inch wheelbases, respectively (and that's the SWB versions). Can Sigma be stretched to match this? Since GM hasn't been the greatest at packaging a vehicle, my guess is that they would need to stretch Sigma in wheelbase to create a "DT7" that would even begin to match the benchmarks of the class (S-Class and 7-Series). If not, could GM create a possible Sigma-Lambda platform that would allow them to do this? For some reason, Zeta is being dropped and I'm not sure why; it seemed to be flexible enough to underpin vehicles of different size classes.

I also wonder if Sigma could be shrunk to underpin a sub-CTS series of vehicles (sedan, coupe, and wagon)? If it can't, then could it be combined with Epsilon (which I understand is very flexible) to create a platform that could support a RWD compact Cadillac vehicle series? With Alpha delayed (which in my mind means that it will probably be cancelled), could something like this be done in a cost effective manner?

I'm not sure anything mentioned above is really worthwhile; I'm just throwing out some ideas. It still seems as though GM is simply shying away from RWD completely. Maybe in their current financial situation, the funds are simply not there for them to make Cadillac completely competitive with Benz and BMW. I'm not sure. I do know that slapping a Cadillac badge and grille on a car that wasn't designed under the division's distinctive "Art & Science" styling aesthetic will severly dilute the uniqueness of the brand. GM has fought too hard to give Cadillac this brand identity. It would be a shame to see them throw it away now. If they can't give the brand a car series above or below the CTS without diluting the brand's established identity, then I think they should let the CTS series (sedan, wagon, and coupe), the 2010 SRX, and the Escalade carry the brand for a while (a Voltec series would also be a possibility maybe?). The corporation could then focus on making Chevrolet and B-P-G stronger to hopefully ride out the corporation's precarious financial situation as well as the unstable economy.

As far as the Insignia, this should be its fate in the U.S.:

Visit My Website

There is no reason why Buick can't sell this and the 2010 LaCrosse. The Insignia-based Regal can be the midsize offering and the 2010 LaCrosse can be the brand's flagship. The 2 sedans are different enough to be in the same brand's lineup.

He was joking, Enzl. :AH-HA_wink:

I agree with the rest.

Exactly...but Cadillac dealers probably now worry about Buick dealers stealing sales from them and vice versa.

Which means, if what PCS said is true about Cadillac versus Pontiac, Buick will be the next Pontiac.

Somehow I picture this as a more global strategy for GM... adding to their Cadillac line over there as well. However, doesn't mean I like it.

Exactly... GM wants cadillac to become Saab now. (apparently... like they're actually going to be able to pull that off)

like it or not pushrods are gonna be here for a long time. i will never understand how they are unrefined.

Because domestics use them...

The MINI doesn't pretend to be an SUV.

Except for the new Mini SUV. It does an excellent job of pretending to be a real SUV.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Exactly... GM wants cadillac to become Saab now. (apparently... like they're actually going to be able to pull that off)

Which is funny, because GM never knew what to do with Saab. Maybe GM doesn't know what to do with Cadillac either...

I do agree with trying to keep the sedans RWD if possible. How flexible is Sigma, anyway? I know it is stretched to 116.4 inches for the STS, first gen SRX, and the Chinese SLS (if I understand correctly, they only stretched the design of the STS about 4 inches to create the SLS for China, not the wheelbase). Can it be stretched further? The current S-Class and 7-Series are on 119.5 and 120.9 inch wheelbases, respectively (and that's the SWB versions). Can Sigma be stretched to match this? Since GM hasn't been the greatest at packaging a vehicle, my guess is that they would need to stretch Sigma in wheelbase to create a "DT7" that would even begin to match the benchmarks of the class (S-Class and 7-Series). If not, could GM create a possible Sigma-Lambda platform that would allow them to do this? For some reason, Zeta is being dropped and I'm not sure why; it seemed to be flexible enough to underpin vehicles of different size classes.

I also wonder if Sigma could be shrunk to underpin a sub-CTS series of vehicles (sedan, coupe, and wagon)? If it can't, then could it be combined with Epsilon (which I understand is very flexible) to create a platform that could support a RWD compact Cadillac vehicle series? With Alpha delayed (which in my mind means that it will probably be cancelled), could something like this be done in a cost effective manner?

I'm not sure anything mentioned above is really worthwhile; I'm just throwing out some ideas. It still seems as though GM is simply shying away from RWD completely. Maybe in their current financial situation, the funds are simply not there for them to make Cadillac completely competitive with Benz and BMW. I'm not sure. I do know that slapping a Cadillac badge and grille on a car that wasn't designed under the division's distinctive "Art & Science" styling aesthetic will severly dilute the uniqueness of the brand. GM has fought too hard to give Cadillac this brand identity. It would be a shame to see them throw it away now. If they can't give the brand a car series above or below the CTS without diluting the brand's established identity, then I think they should let the CTS series (sedan, wagon, and coupe), the 2010 SRX, and the Escalade carry the brand for a while (a Voltec series would also be a possibility maybe?). The corporation could then focus on making Chevrolet and B-P-G stronger to hopefully ride out the corporation's precarious financial situation as well as the unstable economy.

As far as the Insignia, this should be its fate in the U.S.:

Visit My Website

There is no reason why Buick can't sell this and the 2010 LaCrosse. The Insignia-based Regal can be the midsize offering and the 2010 LaCrosse can be the brand's flagship. The 2 sedans are different enough to be in the same brand's lineup.

ok, that picture may have won me over. that does look sharp with the buick mug. much better than the vague opel schnoz. i seriously WOULD wait for that car. BUT it better had come with the 4 pot TURBO. AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

Edited by regfootball