Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Motor Authority: An Opel Insignia Rebadge For Cadillac?

cire

Why not use Sigma for the DTS replacement? The SLS shows it can be made larger. That saves costs and keeps the best platform GM has going.

For those who miss the old SRX and it's RWD wagon look, and don't want the FRWD cute ute, there is the far sexier CTS wagon.

I like this idea best.... and I suspect the CTS wagon is the exact reason the SRX changed platforms.

The Chinese SLS stretch is 4 inches of wheelbase... which brings it to 120 inches.... smack on a 750i wheelbase.

And damn, doesn't this side profile look good.

cadillac_sls_13.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea best.... and I suspect the CTS wagon is the exact reason the SRX changed platforms.

The Chinese SLS stretch is 4 inches of wheelbase... which brings it to 120 inches.... smack on a 750i wheelbase.

And damn, doesn't this side profile look good.

cadillac_sls_13.jpg

So the SLS was a wheelbase stretch of the STS version of Sigma (which was 116.4 inches I believe, which would put the SLS wheelbase over 120 inches; that certainly puts it on par with the Benz/BMW competition). The article I read made it sound like just the body or design was stretched 4 inches, which really didn't make any sense. If this is the case, then why is GM even considering putting the "DT7" on anything but Sigma? Using Sigma exclusively for all of Cadillac's car series (and even an Escalade replacement would be nice) would make Cadillac itself more exclusive.

Now, is Sigma flexible enough to fit under a compact car series for Cadillac? I just don't think GM will follow through with Alpha. Delays usually parlay into cancellations as far as they're concerned.

Edited by cire

Now, is Sigma flexible enough to fit under a compact car series for Cadillac? I just don't think GM will follow through with Alpha. Delays usually parlay into cancellations as far as they're concerned.

Guess they could always shorten it, but... wouldn't weight be an issue there? Cost as well... idk... sometimes it seems GM is just driving around in circles: 'let's make this RWD only.... oh wait let's not......'

Or maybe they've gone beyond crisis mode into panic mode...

Edited by ZL-1

Sigma was ALWAYS meant to be stretched. It was the first candidate for the Sixteen program (well, the idea of the program, anyway)

As far as putting DT7 (what a dumb assed name) on Sigma... You guys are simply making too much sense for GM to ever grasp.

Instead of building a bridge over a river, they'd rather first dig the river wider, then do a rain dance and then try to ford said river in the middle of the thunderstorm... That's just how they work.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Sigma was ALWAYS meant to be stretched. It was the first candidate for the Sixteen program (well, the idea of the program, anyway)

As far as putting DT7 (what a dumb assed name) on Sigma... You guys are simply making too much sense for GM to ever grasp.

Instead of building a bridge over a river, they'd rather first dig the river wider, then do a rain dance and then try to ford said river in the middle of the thunderstorm... That's just how they work.

Is ford said river, like forge said river? :unsure: Remember English is not my first language ... :P

PCS, can you add any insight as to why the US didn't get the SLS interior updates and a stretch?

I think that both had safety issues IIRC. The stretch couldn't pass the side impact standards of the USA and Canada (not sure about Mexico). The interior updates had an issue of the dash not passing the front impact standards with regards to energy absorption, it was to rigid ...

• 2 weeks later...

id build it. last time I checked there is a FWD Lexus, a FWD Acura, and a FWD Infiniti. So these are the cars that this fwd Cadillac would be competing with. plus to switch the entire lineup to RWD isnt smart eiether, you will end up alienating alot of customers who live in the midwest and northeast that prefer FWD cars due to incliment weather.

id build it. last time I checked there is a FWD Lexus, a FWD Acura, and a FWD Infiniti. So these are the cars that this fwd Cadillac would be competing with. plus to switch the entire lineup to RWD isnt smart eiether, you will end up alienating alot of customers who live in the midwest and northeast that prefer FWD cars due to incliment weather.

Which Infiniti is currently FWD? G, M, EX, FX, or QX?