Toyota Avalon-2436

Lexus IS-1451

Nissan Pathfinder-1551

Kia Optima-1410

Lincoln Town Car-1368

Chrysler Aspen-1515

Just sayin'

Edited by Satty

LOL Well I was just using it's main competition.

People on here like to say the G8 competes with the BMW 5-Series. Well, in December BMW sold 3699 5ers. In February it was 3191.

An aside, there are almost no sales recaps from January or February posted in our Sales Ticker forum. I hate doing the research on this stuff.

I will congratulate Pontiac on finally having the G8 outsell the Avalon in Feb. But Toyota sold three times as many Prius' as Poncho sold G8s.

Edited by Satty

Not to worry, PCS knows that the G8 is not long for this world, and as GM has already stated, that when this model ends, there won't be anymore coming to North American shores.

I'm thrilled that once AGAIN GM has managed

to extinguish my dreams.

So it's gonna be a World Government issued

Camry Hybrid for all, huh?

So much disdain for one of the best cars GM has ever made. You know what? We deserve what we get. Enjoy your Toyotas.

So why did this happen?

The car looks good, supposedly drives well, is reasonably priced (in V6 form). Did I mention it looks good?

So was it timing, advertising, crowded market niche, association with Pontiac, or another easily forgettable alpha-numeric name?

The sales figures GM supplies reflect what the dealers are buying not actual retail demand. That's why even though G8 sales have been fairly steady there are too many of them sitting on dealer lots too long. For example, Pontiac had a 283 day supply (60 days is considered healthy) at the end of 2008. It's probably worse now.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/slow-sales-thr...g8s-future.html

Edited by buyacargetacheck

I for one would be more than happy to go to a Pontiac dealer and sign on the line for a brand new 2009 Pontiac G8 GT Sedan right now if I knew I had a job in September and could get a loan for the car (oh yeah, and could afford the payments too on a $32k GT model :lol: ). Depending on how things play out between now and when my SmartLease ends in November, the G8 is still on my shopping list. Not everyone here at C&G hates this car :neenerneener:

Pssh, it's in my sig with my other favorite sedan, I love it. I think timing (being at least 2 years late to the party) and lack of advertising is the car's problem. The car itself is one of GM's very best. Read any review about it.

Timing, bad economy, lack of advertising. Had this car been out in '05-06, it could have been a hit (had GM been able to produce it without limited manufacturing capacity). It's the best thing to wear a Pontiac badge in a long time, IMHO.

G8 sales are increasing, but still below the much more expensive BMW 5-Series that C&Gers like to say is half the car the Poncho is. The 528i starts at almost $5000 more than a loaded G8 GXP. And the brand as a whole is down huge. What part of that is good news?

G8 sales are increasing, but still below the much more expensive BMW 5-Series that C&Gers like to say is half the car the Poncho is. The 528i starts at almost $5000 more than a loaded G8 GXP. And the brand as a whole is down huge. What part of that is good news?

The G8 itself is the good news. For a car like that to be up in this economy is simply amazing, and to expect such a new model to compete saleswise with BMW's decades of worship is absurd on its face.

Did you see the long list of other GM product it is outselling?

And get this, quite a few 5s have been traded-in on new G8s, so that should tell you something about what BMW owners with brains are buying.

I'll happily take a look at cold-hard facts (not antecdotal evidence) that says 5 buyers are flocking to Pontiac.

The G8 isn't selling 10k/month or even 5k per month or even 3k per month. And there is $3,000 on the G8's hood. It isn't a profit machine, and it isn't going to save the brand or the company.

Not to rain on the parade...but the BMW is much more niche than the G8, so the G8 should easily outsell it. Again, the G8 itself is not at fault, the car is great, but clearly something is wrong.

Are you kidding?

BMW is far from niche, and quite well entrenched in the market.

The G8 is doing absolutely great considering this environment and its recent introduction.

When a luxury car outsells a mainstream SEDAN there is something wrong.

It just says there are more buyers of luxury-brand sports sedans than mainstream-brand sports sedans. The sales #s says mainstream-brand sedan buyers prefer their vanilla FWD sedans.

I'll happily take a look at cold-hard facts (not antecdotal evidence) that says 5 buyers are flocking to Pontiac.

The G8 isn't selling 10k/month or even 5k per month or even 3k per month. And there is $3,000 on the G8's hood. It isn't a profit machine, and it isn't going to save the brand or the company.

1) Go to a G8 board and read about the actual owners who went from a BMW to the G8 - These guys are happy campers.

2) Don't put words in my mouth, at no time did I use the word "flocking".

3) The G8 was never intended to sell 10k per month in a good economy - in fact, they can't even build that many!

4) Rebates are a way of life right now (just ask Toyota).

5) The G8's sales are increasing in the worst economy in 75 years!

5) Again, don't put words in my mouth - I never said that the G8 was going to "save" Pontiac. But a full lineup with equal quality could.

6) As for saving GM, that won't happen with or without the G8 if they don't learn how to manage what they have and make decisions that aren't suicidal once per week.

Not surprising...rebates always seem to help GM sales.

But couldn't get the G8 within 600 sales of the 5-Series, which had no rebates and a not particularly enticing lease offer. GM sold 1000 more G8s in February than in December, but with $3k on the hood of each of them, thats $3,000,000 GM just gave away. That doesn't help the company.

Anyone who buys a 5 series over a G8 has more money than brains.

I wouldn't say that, both are excellent cars, but targeting different buyers..the 5- series interior is definitely more luxurious, and offers NAV (which isn't even offered on the G8, I believe).

The Charger sells nearly 7,000/month. Even if half of those are fleet sales, thats still outselling th Pontiac. Shouldn't the G8 be able to outsell something it might actually be compared against?

Well, the Charger is in it's 4th year..it's an established model. Maybe it's the economy, maybe it's Pontiac's brand image, maybe it's GM's marketing..but the G8 just isn't connecting with the market as much as it could.

That's the problem. Something isn't being done right, because the G8 should be selling at least double what it currently is. Even in a down market the Charger sells more, and the Charger is the G8's real competition. The Charger has been out longer to build awareness, but it's also older, and in most ways the G8 is the better car (being newer and all).

True.

But such numbers are not required for profitability on the G8, I suspect they are on the Charger.

Maybe, maybe not..since the Charger shares a platform w/ 3 other models (now 2) I would think it would be profitable 4 years in..