• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Intrepidation

The Intrepid Project

Its like the Intrepid rejected the donor heart! :mind-blowing:

I really feel for you, 'cause you know I had simular circumstances with my poor Achieva.

Oil+coolant = satans sludge.

Im hoping that the engine can be saved...and the radiator thrown to the depths of hell.

Ted, you have no idea how badly I wanted to destroy that POS. Complete waste of time and money.

So my old radiator went in and the oil cooler lines were joined together and therefor bypassed.

All the gunk seems to be out of the engine...oil checks nice and pretty. There's still some gunk floating up through the coolant res so for now it's just water and I have to flush it out until no more shows up, and then it'll get a 50% dose of the Chrysler high mileage antifreeze.

Beyond that, the plenum has a crack (which he showed me before the engine went in) so I have to get a replacement Monday, and the a/c will need to be recharged...we'll see if it holds a charge now.

After it cools off and I rinse the reservoir some more, I'm going to take it driving to see how things work, but so far, besides the air leak from the plenum , it runs good.

Thank Goddess that thing runs great!

Let me know if you need anything specific for her, local pick and pull I've been telling you about just got a bunch of new cars, quite a few of them MOPAR.

Chris

Well at the moment I need a plenum. :P

Hoping the on at Jack's isn't cracked.

F*** Holland's.

Good on ya for getting it done, replace that manifold and report back with the test drives!

;)

Good job Dodgefan!

Solid progress...any tally on how many hours has been spent on this endeavour so far? Good to see it back on the road.

I would say, a good week if you don't count the time i spent sitting waiting to be worked on.

Today the coolant system was flushed out with Dawn..the thermostat is a bitch to get to, let me tell ya. I've never had or smelt an engine bay smell so clean. :P

I drove it around 20 miles or so and checked it around 8. It's much better than it was, but there's still some particles floating around.

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna see about getting a plenum.

Actually...I got a reverse powerflush on my Safari Van, and it worked wonders at getting everything out.

Cost me something like 60 bucks and the system was CLEAN after it was done...

Now if we could just get it to do a burnout on Brice Road...we'd be all set...

Chris

So while my tire shine trick looked nice for a day, it already looks faded again. So instead I'm painting it. Primer's on, so next will be the black and several coats of clear.

Should be a well detailed machine when it's done!

Chris

If you put acetone on a rag and rub the plemum down well, it eat off the faded plastic and leave the fresh stuff. I've used this trick to bring car trim and old toys back to life, so it should work on your plenum.

That's a cool idea..I'll keep that in mind next time, but I've already got the primer on.

Glad you're sweating the details.

Edited by Camino LS6

Glad you're sweating the details.

I won't be satisfied until it purrs like a kitten and looks as good as possible inside and out. :wink:

Speaking of which...and you don't want to hear this but...

I think the blue color you've picked is great, but you might also want to consider silver. Today, the EAA had a young eagles event at Bolten Field (our local airport). Three youngest kids went up. We parked next to a really nice family in an Intrepid that was silver and it was beautiful. It was slightly overcast and the car just looked sooo goooood in that light.

And I thought of you and your loyalty to the intrepid when I met the Pilot taking my kids up. Guy named Dick Weatherall, really nice guy, with the same Cessna 172 for 22 years, man and plane had travelled all over North America together.

Methinks loyalty to a machine is a beuatiful thing.

Speaking of which...and you don't want to hear this but...

I think the blue color you've picked is great, but you might also want to consider silver. Today, the EAA had a young eagles event at Bolten Field (our local airport). Three youngest kids went up. We parked next to a really nice family in an Intrepid that was silver and it was beautiful. It was slightly overcast and the car just looked sooo goooood in that light.

And I thought of you and your loyalty to the intrepid when I met the Pilot taking my kids up. Guy named Dick Weatherall, really nice guy, with the same Cessna 172 for 22 years, man and plane had travelled all over North America together.

Methinks loyalty to a machine is a beuatiful thing.

I don't really want silver. It's too common, especially among LH cars.

IMG_3131.jpg

You have made your point sir...however...you do have to admit the LH looks good in silver, yes?

Chris

I have to say, the LH is one of the best proportioned FWD cars ever.

I have to say, the LH is one of the best proportioned FWD cars ever.

One of the reasons why I love them :D

I've seen RWD cars with worse proportions!

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

--

Anyway, first coat of paint is on. Probably gonna do one more before I do several coats of clear.

They look great in silver... I like black also. When I worked at the City of Phoenix earlier this year, there was a black Intrepid R/T and a black Charger R/T on the same floor of the parking garage, and they often parked together. I like the Charger for it's Hemi and RWD, but prefer the Intrepid's sleekness...still love the C-pillar. huge rear window, and upper rear door shape.

I don't like the factory black on LH cars because it's not really black..it's more dark gray. Now a true black would look terrific.

I don't like the factory black on LH cars because it's not really black..it's more dark gray. Now a true black would look terrific.

Yeah, you are right..it's a charcoal...I had 3 rental Intrepids back in '99-01 and they all were that dark gray/black w/ black interior...had an LHS in that same color also. Really liked the LHS also. Had a couple 300M rentals, gold and silver ones. Everytime I flew into Columbus for a few years there, I'd get an LH from Thrifty.

Rob